Why does Johnny hate Arasaka specifically?

+
Cleaned up a bit, by which I mean deleted a lot of content.

Feel free to continue the discussion though.

Not entirely true. Mike pondsmiths character was maximum mike. A night city police officer (good cop Btw) and his loyal, cerbernatically enhanced policedog.
Mike Pondsmith has played several characters over the years. Some of his characters include Morgan Blackhand, Johnny Silverhand, as well as Maximum Mike. He's given several interviews where he talks about the real-life inspirations for those characters as well as how they've grown and evolved. One of the most recent, I believe, was his interview with Mad Queen, from the Mad Queen Show on Youtube.

Hello Choomba, if you sit with Jonny after leaving the Crypt he will explain it to V.

And yeah. Jonny's old skool from TT

Yeppers, it's why there's a funny easter egg line, in the flashback where Johnny is being patched up by a certain basso-voiced Ripper Doc, he says "Johnny, you're like a son to me". That Doc is voiced by Mike Pondsmith, who created Johnny... because he is in a way, Johnny's father!

It's revealed later what happened to Alt but even before that he seemed to have a grudge specifically against them. I get that his wartime experience would've made him hate the corps but you'd think he would focus more on Millitech considering they're the ones who are based in America and, iirc, the ones who abandoned vets like him once they were no longer useful.
Because they kidnapped and killed his girlfriend

Johnny was (is?) a free spirit who was against the ever-increasing Corp control of people and suppression of free expression. Arasaka earned his specific attention after the kidnapping and "death" of Alt.

(Side note, Johnny was actually responsible for Alt's "death," as he unplugged her from the 'net before her mind had reentered her body, essentially damning her to an existence as a disembodied consciousness.)

(Side note, Johnny was actually responsible for Alt's "death," as he unplugged her from the 'net before her mind had reentered her body, essentially damning her to an existence as a disembodied consciousness.)

thats the truth but in johnny mind arasaka is responsable for Alt Death, henche the nuclear bomb

Sooo...I just wanna be sure, that thing about Johnny being racist was all bulshit, right?

Cutting out somebodies tongue does not prove them a liar, it only proves you fear what they have to say, if you want to know the truth you will have to read the Johnny Silverhand short stories released by Mike Pondsmith yourself as I am not allowed to post the sources

Cutting out somebodies tongue does not prove them a liar, it only proves you fear what they have to say, if you want to know the truth you will have to read the Johnny Silverhand short stories released by Mike Pondsmith yourself as I am not allowed to post the sources
I'm reasonably certain you're allowed to post links and the name of the short stories in question, no?
Nothing easily found supports your statements. And several people who own Cyberpunk 2020 books & short stories disagree with you, stating there's nothing in there to support your claims.
Nobody is barring you from posting sources. At the very least, you could point out where we can find what you're talking about.
For example, you could point out relevant books here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cyberpunk_2020_books

The game changed some things about Johnny, but he seems pretty close to the source material from what I've seen.

as I am not allowed to post the sources
I think you can name a book and note the page number, which after having read the edited thread I see has not been done.
I, too, own all the books (real and PDF) but accept it's been a very long time since reading most of them. I look forward to being shown where to find your info.

Nobody is barring you from posting sources.

That statement is not exactly true
Post automatically merged:

I think you can name a book and note the page number, which after having read the edited thread I see has not been done.

And if all you have read is the edited thread how do you know that it was not done before the edits? Kind of relying on you to put 2 and 2 together here

I think V has a point where He/She (can) tell him at some point that he needs a Nemesis to feed his ego... the bigger and more unbeatable the better.
And what's bigger for a rockerboy wannabe rebel/martyr to go after in NC than Arasaka?
Makes sense to me, i mean if it was just anti-corporatism/capitalism he'd mention militech or biotechnica or any of the others at least a few times... but it's always all about Saka. And yes, even before the all Alt incident, so that's not his initial reason, as Alt states herself in cyberspace. As much as he wants to pretend he blew their HQ for her, even she doesn't buy it.

That statement is not exactly true
It is completely true and the fact that you conveniently chose to only reply to that insignificant part of my comment indicates that you likely don't even have any sources. You didn't post book names and page numbers before the cleanup of this thread either.
And what's bigger for a rockerboy wannabe rebel/martyr to go after in NC than Arasaka?
Makes sense to me, i mean if it was just anti-corporatism/capitalism he'd mention militech or biotechnica or any of the others at least a few times... but it's always all about Saka. And yes, even before the all Alt incident, so that's not his initial reason, as Alt states herself in cyberspace. As much as he wants to pretend he blew their HQ for her, even she doesn't buy it.
Johnny was definitely obsessed with Arasaka before the Alt kidnapping. She says so and so does Kerry just before the flashback with Alt. There definitely is some anti-capitalism in there. The biggest target for that kind of sentiment would be the biggest/most powerful corporation on the planet.

i think anti-capitalism is an excuse really, dude's got a self destructive behavior and a martyr complex.
So let's make ennemies of the most powerful, hence dangerous people on earth that a lot of folks hate so i can die a hero, which is exactly what he got.

Yea, anti-capitalism isn't the whole story for sure. Many of the nuances from the source material aren't explored all that deeply in the game. Like the fact that blowing Arasaka Tower was done to stop the Fourth Corporate War. In the game, it looks like it's pretty much all Johnny's idea and done for revenge, reinforced by him uploading his message instead of leaving with Rouge immediately.

Don't know anything about the source material, but like you said, i wouldn't be surprised if they simplified the character and his motivations in the game.
Most story arcs revolve about plain simple revenge anyway wether it's Claire, Panam, Rogue... there is always someone to get back at which was a little sloppy imo.
Hell, even Kerry ends up going postal with his agent's boat lol (was fun tho).

Top Bottom