Why does Johnny hate Arasaka specifically?

+
It is because Arasaka are Japanese and Johnny is a major racist, it isn't even because of pearl harbour he just dislikes their eyes. Of course CDPR did have to tone down Johnny's racism to avoid controversy so it isn't really as much on display here but if you read the source material Johnny is basically a Neo Nazi, it is part of the reason they changed his hair to black from blonde in the game, they wanted to distance themselves from the Aryan supremacy ideology that Johnny was a part of.

What?? This is simply not true & totally not from the lore LOL
You're simply putting some mad BS here.
Post automatically merged:

It's revealed later what happened to Alt but even before that he seemed to have a grudge specifically against them. I get that his wartime experience would've made him hate the corps but you'd think he would focus more on Millitech considering they're the ones who are based in America and, iirc, the ones who abandoned vets like him once they were no longer useful.

Johnny's real goal has always been anti corpo. He was an ex-military being experimented on, totally expendable in wars & Arasaka was one of the companies that funded/profiting from wars, arguably the biggest one. Arasaka became his ultimate bane because Arasaka was the biggest one in NC too back then & they kidnapped Alt, as he thought the kidnapping was because of his "Rockerboy" anti-corpo campaign.

The real reason actually totally different & Alt is more important to Arasaka than Silverhand will ever be. This is the same thing to the so called rivalry with Adam Smasher that simply just Silverhand own shrewed perception of reality & narcissistic tendency. Adam Smasher didn't even really know Silverhand back at the 2023, let alone being his rival. Real rival of Adam Smasher is "Morgan Blackhand."

BEAR IN MIND, the past memories missions we played in CP2077 were all Johnny's "construct" memories. NOT A HISTORICAL FACTS within the lore.

IF YOU WANT DETAILED & ACCURATE HISTORY, here's the most accurate bio story for Johnny Silverhand on YouTube:

CASE CLOSED.

Last edited:
Not in Cyberpunk 2020 either since Mike Pondsmith is a Japanophile and Johnny Silverhand was his character along with Morgan Blackhand.

Dude ... what the hell is this BS??! Queen_Skadi post is straight up slander & not true at all. Mike Pondsmith is a fan of Cyberpunk genre & one of his biggest love & inspirations are cyberpunk anime like GiTS, Akira, Bubblegum Crisis, etc. he literally worked on Bubblegum Crisis TTRPG & Cyberpunk 2020 had a Japanese specialized version. That iconic Yaiba Kusanagi bike design (CP2077) literally inspired by his fav char's bike in Bubblegum Crisis, Priss's "Highway Star." Look at this:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/bubblegumcrisis/images/4/48/Priss.jpg

Moderators need to get on this thread quickly ...

Last edited:
You can ask the question Silverhand himself and he will tell you why he became an anti-capitalist.

Isn't it because they are the biggest corp in Night City? I figured he hated them specifically because of that fact. He has no love for any corp whatsoever though, that is certain. I'm sure if he grew up on the east coast he would hate Militech more.

Come to think of it I'm really not sure where Johnny grew up. I assume Night City.

It's revealed later what happened to Alt but even before that he seemed to have a grudge specifically against them. I get that his wartime experience would've made him hate the corps but you'd think he would focus more on Millitech considering they're the ones who are based in America and, iirc, the ones who abandoned vets like him once they were no longer useful.

In cyberpunk lore and here i refer to cyberpunk 2020 and cyberpunk red (board games, that are actually the video games prequels) it is actaully Militech who funds Johnnys group. During the bombing of Arasaka tower, the world was in the middle of the 4th corporate war. Long story short 2 oceanic megacorps hired Arasaka and Militech respectively. The attack at Arasaka Tower in NC was actually Militech/Johnny working together to take down Arasaka. and ofc like you said we know he attacked because of Alt. but that is the reason why it was not Militech that they attacked :) hope that helped!!

Yeah, this is my intro to the Cyberpunk universe and I didn't get that at all. I saw that Johnny was an extreme anti-capitalist, in general. When Arasaka kidnapped Alt, they made it personal so he literally went nuclear on them.

I wonder why Johnny could not answer that to the woman in the end of his flashback before he became a snack for soulripper. She said, her man was in that tower, he could have said, his girl was either...

It is because Arasaka are Japanese and Johnny is a major racist, it isn't even because of pearl harbour he just dislikes their eyes. Of course CDPR did have to tone down Johnny's racism to avoid controversy so it isn't really as much on display here but if you read the source material Johnny is basically a Neo Nazi, it is part of the reason they changed his hair to black from blonde in the game, they wanted to distance themselves from the Aryan supremacy ideology that Johnny was a part of.
Wat?
Where did you get that? :)

Anti_japanese sentiment is a part of cyberpunk. It has it's reasons, not neceserily good reasons. Johnny WAS anti-japanese, as much as the other guy in the cyberpunk universe (s). The ongoing theme is that the wold is ruled by a technoshogunate of japanese corporations. In Cyberpunk 2020 it's all evil Arasaka corporation. People like Johnny project their hatred against the corporate world towards Arasaka as it is the biggest, the scariest corporation that in 2020 and doesn't even try to hide their agenda: The World Supremacy At All Costs.
The whole anti-japanese sentimant comes from the early 80s when Japan began to threaten US markets with their cheaper and superior goods. The "bad reputation" had nothing to do with the race and everything with economy. That, however, spilled all over onto the pop culture. And Japanese corporations became a synonym of the ruthless capitalism (contrasting with the self made man capitalism of America, obviously)
People in the 80s were less concerned about the stereotypes, so the japanese business became a punching bag for the politics and the pop culture, and no one bothered to think deeper about that. That's why most cyberpunk protagonists are anti-japanese. Not neceserily hostile towards japanese culture or asians as a whole, but towards japanese business. Sometimes, however, those two were interconnected. Add some terrible writing to that and it may seem racist. And Mike Pondsmith IS a terrible writer.
Still, Johnny is somewhat a racist. But there's nothing wrong with a racist character. Especialy the one who, like Johnny, is a piece of shit douchebag.
As for Neo-Nazi... God, really?

ummm just one question. you do know Kerry has always been...Filipino

Arasaka was the proverbial Evil Empire of cyberpunk. And militech, back in the Cyberpunk 2020s was quite differet corpo from YT lore videos that are based on highly retconned metalore. When Johnny was in the military, Militech was not in the picture as a megacorp but just a military hardware supplier to the DoD. In 2020 was a major corporation, as ruthless as Arasaka, but they had far better PR department and the help of the US propaganda. Also, their goal was not to create the Global Shogunate, which did not sound well to Americans, but Global America, which sounded better :) (frankly, Militech is at times painted as a good guys in Cyberpunk 2020 modules, while Arasaka is always the Evil Empire) Also, Johnny was just a little more than a stowaway during the Arasaka Tower assault. He joined last minute with the singular reason "kick some araska's butts". And died like a pussy. The whole op was a joint US Military/Militech operation, as at that time, Militech got under the boot of US Goverment, and the Militech board of directors were given a choice: Do as President wishes or face a firing squad. This aspect is now retconned because of better or worse reasons. Simply put, Johnny had neither reason nor resources to go against Militech, and all and everyone of his friends were on Militech's payroll.

Top Bottom