Any long-time players here? Has the game gotten better over time?

+
Same here. I've posted comments here too on how the game uses techniques used by the gambling industry to hook you into playing this game. The two things that you mention would be part of that. CDPR is lobbying governments around the world to allow them to provide a free dose of nicotine to players every time that they win two matches in a row.

Not really. Gambling is about exploiting the false perception of low risk, high reward while journey and the reward tree (the limited time trees) are banking on a person's sense of completionism, the need to get something before it's gone. And they just straight up charge for that, with no level of randomness to it. Both can be addicting, but the two have very different foundations.

No it hasn't. If only this company could focus more on actually fixing the game instead of pushing cosmetics then we wouldn't have to play this dumbed down version of the game.

Not really. Gambling is about exploiting the false perception of low risk, high reward while journey and the reward tree (the limited time trees) are banking on a person's sense of completionism, the need to get something before it's gone. And they just straight up charge for that, with no level of randomness to it. Both can be addicting, but the two have very different foundations.

Video games' gambling features have been making the news in recent years. E.g.

Wiki has this related topic, in a subsection of one of their articles:

I haven't followed the news closely on this and I don't know whether my following observation would be usually linked to this argument that video games have gambling industry features built in to their gameplay design:

Card kegs. Maybe these are like loot boxes, which do get mentioned in the context of gambling industry design in video games? You want to get certain cards. You can do a long, slow, tedious grind to accumulate 'gold' to 'buy' enough kegs for yourself. You might be chasing certain cards. So, it's like buying loot boxes in order to get a certain reward.

CDPR offer you a quick and easy way to acquire cards: pay cash. For nearly $100 can can buy 60 Ultimate Kegs. But there's no guarantee that you will get the card that you want. Hey, why not buy 10 lots of that to 'improve' your odds of getting that card that you want? Well, there's almost $1,000 gone.

Why are those cards hard to get? It's artificial scarcity and nothing else. The harder CDPR make it to get cards (via grinding for gold or shards to craft cards) the more desirable it makes it for the mug player to spend money to 'improve' their odds of getting 'that' card.

That looks a little bit gambling to me. Hell, it looks exactly like gambling to me.

I already responded to someone else's comment in another thread some months back and said to them that they seemed like the game was causing them problems and they should probably quit. From memory, they were jeopardising their university prospects by playing the game.

That kind of game philosophy is just nasty.

P.S. I've made this comment too, elsewhere on this forum: For $100 I would want EVERY card in the game, PREMIUM versions too, and have at least two of them. That's MY idea of a vaguely appealing 'value' proposition for visiting Shupe's Shop. I still wouldn't do it. Too pricey for me.

Last edited:

I haven't followed the news closely on this and I don't know whether my following observation would be usually linked to this argument that video games have gambling industry features built in to their gameplay design:

Card kegs. Maybe these are like loot boxes, which do get mentioned in the context of gambling industry design in video games? You want to get certain cards. You can do a long, slow, tedious grind to accumulate 'gold' to 'buy' enough kegs for yourself. You might be chasing certain cards. So, it's like buying loot boxes in order to get a certain reward.

CDPR offer you a quick and easy way to acquire cards: pay cash. For nearly $100 can can buy 60 Ultimate Kegs. But there's no guarantee that you will get the card that you want. Hey, why not buy 10 lots of that to 'improve' your odds of getting that card that you want? Well, there's almost $1,000 gone.

Why are those cards hard to get? It's artificial scarcity and nothing else. The harder CDPR make it to get cards (via grinding for gold or shards to craft cards) the more desirable it makes it for the mug player to spend money to 'improve' their odds of getting 'that' card.

That looks a little bit gambling to me. Hell, it looks exactly like gambling to me.

I already responded to someone else's comment in another thread some months back and said to them that they seemed like the game was causing them problems and they should probably quit. From memory, they were jeopardising their university prospects by playing the game.

Your post is on point. I quit the game a couple of days ago having finished my journey after at least 400 hours. I was not a f2p player having invested 50 euros on it I think ( 2 journeys, starter pack, all factions pack, 2- 3 journey "speed up" ) and yet my collection is not completed yet. I can't even imagine how hard it would be for a new player to start playing now and maybe that's why most of the new players quit in less than a month ( not an official survey, just random poll on the web but still ) because it's simply too slow to catch up without spending a single dime. By the time you start to build up a functional deck your cards will probably be made useless by patches or whatever, not even counting the recurring toxic metas.
The grind would become less tedious if only the player could receive something even when losing because at the moment even casual mode is plagued with meta decks; apparently this community doesn't know creativity anymore.
Overall, progression is very slow and that's why people just wait until some streamer or whatever show them a new deck, it's a simple efficiency - reward peak system; this however leads to the problem you illustrated above.

I can't even imagine how hard it would be for a new player to start playing now and maybe that's why most of the new players quit in less than a month ( not an official survey, just random poll on the web but still ) because it's simply too slow to catch up without spending a single dime.
In context, Gwent is one of the most generous CCGs on the market, by far. Considering a generic, but steady gameplay, potentially on a daily basis (1-2 hours, or at least the daily quests), one can easily build a solid base of cards in ~3months.
I started to play in last April, and technically got every card I need (for every deck and every faction) till November. Currently at Prestige 5 or 6. Never bought kegs directly, only cosmetics and the journeys (without any fast travel). Completed all journeys (even the Ciri one) weeks before the deadline.
It really depends on how you play. Sure, if you plan to have a Gwent session every weekends for a few hours only, that will probably take you way longer to get to a stage where you "don't need anything'.

By the time you start to build up a functional deck your cards will probably be made useless by patches or whatever
Useless in the current cycle of expansions every 6 month? I would call that slow, if anything.

Overall, progression is very slow and that's why people just wait until some streamer or whatever show them a new deck
This however is not specific to Gwent - players use the same braindead mentality everywhere. Here we call them metadecks, in other games they are called meta talents/builds, etc. The good majority of players only want the success, quick, but definitely not the effort.

In context, Gwent is one of the most generous CCGs on the market, by far. Considering a generic, but steady gameplay, potentially on a daily basis (1-2 hours, or at least the daily quests), one can easily build a solid base of cards in ~3months.
I started to play in last April, and technically got every card I need (for every deck and every faction) till November. Currently at Prestige 5 or 6. Never bought kegs directly, only cosmetics and the journeys (without any fast travel). Completed all journeys (even the Ciri one) weeks before the deadline.
It really depends on how you play. Sure, if you plan to have a Gwent session every weekends for a few hours only, that will probably take you way longer to get to a stage where you "don't need anything'.

Useless in the current cycle of expansions every 6 month? I would call that slow, if anything.

This however is not specific to Gwent - players use the same braindead mentality everywhere. Here we call them metadecks, in other games they are called meta talents/builds, etc. The good majority of players only want the success, quick, but definitely not the effort.

I honestly find it hard to believe, especially the Prestige part given that time frame reference ( not even counting 1 hour of gameplay a day ). Now, if you play many hours a day each day that's another deal, but even then...
However, to each their own, I guess I was already done with the game weeks ago and finally decided to make a move after ending this journey.

Your post is on point. I quit the game a couple of days ago having finished my journey after at least 400 hours. I was not a f2p player having invested 50 euros on it I think ( 2 journeys, starter pack, all factions pack, 2- 3 journey "speed up" ) and yet my collection is not completed yet.

It's good that you can quit on your terms. Like I said, there was one guy on this forum who seemed a really sad case but they didn't seem to view themselves as being addicted. If they'd gotten to the point where quitting or failing university was the likely outcome, then the game is obviously bad for them and they should just quit while they're not behind.

I'd often post here that I hadn't spent a cent on the game. I broke that duck recently by playing the premium version of Alzur's Journey. I even complained about how ridiculous CDPR's money-grubbing was...I'd paid for the premium Journey and yet in the Journey, there was CDPR seeking just a few dollars more from me to get to a few levels ahead by paying them some more money. "Fast travel". Yeah, like I'm so desperate to get ahead a few levels that I can't even wait a few days to get there by playing my normal amount of games. A person would have to be really addicted to the game to fall for that. It's completely inappropriate marketing by CDPR to do that. And it's not even like I was miles off from completing the Journey. It's really disreputable, in my view.

Overall, progression is very slow and that's why people just wait until some streamer or whatever show them a new deck, it's a simple efficiency - reward peak system; this however leads to the problem you illustrated above.

I posted in another thread this session how I've been spanked by new players who are ranked very high, maybe even pro-rank and when I check out their ID, they have bugger-all cards. I.e. anywhere from 0 to a few cards for every faction in the game, as opposed to some players who have levelled-up heaps and have every or near every card in the game. It can be done.

I don't plan on spending any more money on the game and I have been saying for weeks here that I plan on quitting soon. Ideally after I soon reach Level 60 for another time and get an extra reward point for challenges or whatever. Maybe complete all the cards for all the factions, apart from Syn. Just a few more for Nil and maybe I can pick up the last one for Nil by playing Thronebreaker...hopefully at better than 50% off, but I'm not sure how long CDPR plan on not going below that discount with the game or reducing its regular price.

The main thing is that neither of us end up living in a box under a bridge because we spent all our money buying a 'value' set of kegs to get 'that' card that we want, coz' if you spend thousands of dollars on kegs, you're 'sure' to get it, right?

The main thing is to enjoy life. Whether you're playing GWENT or not.

All the best.

It's good that you can quit on your terms. Like I said, there was one guy on this forum who seemed a really sad case but they didn't seem to view themselves as being addicted. If they'd gotten to the point where quitting or failing university was the likely outcome, then the game is obviously bad for them and they should just quit while they're not behind.

I'd often post here that I hadn't spent a cent on the game. I broke that duck recently by playing the premium version of Alzur's Journey. I even complained about how ridiculous CDPR's money-grubbing was...I'd paid for the premium Journey and yet in the Journey, there was CDPR seeking just a few dollars more from me to get to a few levels ahead by paying them some more money. "Fast travel". Yeah, like I'm so desperate to get ahead a few levels that I can't even wait a few days to get there by playing my normal amount of games. A person would have to be really addicted to the game to fall for that. It's completely inappropriate marketing by CDPR to do that. And it's not even like I was miles off from completing the Journey. It's really disreputable, in my view.

I posted in another thread this session how I've been spanked by new players who are ranked very high, maybe even pro-rank and when I check out their ID, they have bugger-all cards. I.e. anywhere from 0 to a few cards for every faction in the game, as opposed to some players who have levelled-up heaps and have every or near every card in the game. It can be done.

I don't plan on spending any more money on the game and I have been saying for weeks here that I plan on quitting soon. Ideally after I soon reach Level 60 for another time and get an extra reward point for challenges or whatever. Maybe complete all the cards for all the factions, apart from Syn. Just a few more for Nil and maybe I can pick up the last one for Nil by playing Thronebreaker...hopefully at better than 50% off, but I'm not sure how long CDPR plan on not going below that discount with the game or reducing its regular price.

The main thing is that neither of us end up living in a box under a bridge because we spent all our money buying a 'value' set of kegs to get 'that' card that we want, coz' if you spend thousands of dollars on kegs, you're 'sure' to get it, right?

The main thing is to enjoy life. Whether you're playing GWENT or not.

All the best.

Yeah, enjoyment ( and possibly fun ) should always come first. For me it became a matter of priorities ( then came the actual state of the game ) , way more important things called ( basically life ) and I had to choose. Gradually my hours of gameplay started to become less and less until I finally uninstalled. All the best to you too, there should be more people like you here.

I honestly find it hard to believe, especially the Prestige part given that time frame reference ( not even counting 1 hour of gameplay a day ). Now, if you play many hours a day each day that's another deal, but even then...
However, to each their own, I guess I was already done with the game weeks ago and finally decided to make a move after ending this journey.
You are correct, my wording there wasn't very precise. I was suggesting that one can achieve a solid base of cards in ~3 months by playing on a regular daily basis. I definitely play more than that (~2 hours/day in average last year, every day - sometimes less, sometimes more, but almost never skipped a day). I play somewhat less since WotW as I got to the stage where I literally got everything I need - I mostly improve my collection to Premium versions nowadays while getting that 3 ranks to Pro every month.

How much you think someone has to pay to get a decent collection?

I haven't spend any money on kegs because I think they're very expensive in comparrison to the benefit, but I did spend a little on the Alzur journey. After a few years of casual play I didn't have a single competitive deck so I milled almost every card to make 2 good decks (NR and NI), then after grinding the whole journey to 95 or so I finally got enough cards through journey and reward book kegs (plus reward book ore) to organice a decent SK deck.

So, after a few casual play years and a few months of heavy grind I only have 3 decent decks and I'm on my way to a Monsters one too.

Going back to the question, I've seen a few streamers with docens of thousands, even hundreds, of scraps and meteorite, I know they are backed by their generated revenue, but still, how much do they spend to get there?

Card kegs. Maybe these are like loot boxes, which do get mentioned in the context of gambling industry design in video games?

I know they've been making news. None of it applies here.

You specifically pointed out Journey and the Reward Tree as examples of gambling mechanic. That's what I was refuting. And you didn't address that here at all. Instead you pivoted towards card kegs. Fine.

You want to get certain cards. You can do a long, slow, tedious grind to accumulate 'gold' to 'buy' enough kegs for yourself. You might be chasing certain cards. So, it's like buying loot boxes in order to get a certain reward.

Unlike what you are trying to present here, you are not dependant on kegs to get cards. You want certain cards? You said it, you can craft them. Unlike loot boxes where there are no means of getting the desired item, other than a money bought rng mechanic. So while card kegs do have a gambling component, the overall mechanic of acquiring cards does not. Therefore by definition, it's not gambling.

And yes, purposefully making something tedious to entice a player to spend money and make it easier is a shady company practice. Not gambling, but a shady practice nonetheless. Some companies like 2k are notorious for this. But I would argue that that's not the case with Gwent. It's not hard to accumulate cards in this game. And if anyone is disappointed to not have every card available right off the bat, then maybe starting a collectible card game, was not the best idea. Collecting is part of the game. And it's understandable that the later you come to a CCG, the more there will be to collect and therefore the longer it will take. That's just the nature of the beast.

P.S. I've made this comment too, elsewhere on this forum: For $100 I would want EVERY card in the game, PREMIUM versions too, and have at least two of them. That's MY idea of a vaguely appealing 'value' proposition for visiting Shupe's Shop. I still wouldn't do it. Too pricey for me.

Completely irrelevant. Everything can be harmful when not used responsibly.

P.S. I'm a casual player. On and off. I even took a year and half hiatus when I lost interest. And I have every card in game without buying a single keg with money. Now that sounds like a good deal to me.

How much you think someone has to pay to get a decent collection?
I suggest you check and read my post on this page, answering this question.

In short, it took me 6-8 months to get literally every card I need to every deck around.
Started in April 2020, now on Prestige 5 (or rather 6, have to check - I'm at the stage where I automatically receive a premium card in every deck) and managed to get/craft every possible card that is part of the current meta (or a good card in general).

Definitely not years.

I'm not a long time player, just start Gwent since May 2020 when CDPR launch Gwent at Steam.
I a bit frustrate in the game at first but when I manage to understand the game concept then I quite enjoy the game more than the previous card game I play and then I completely stop playing the previous card game eventually. Gwent is the only primary game I play now.

In Gwent, I can earn in-game reward which allows me to open 40-60 kegs each month and this is sufficient to build around 1 meta deck of 1 fraction at a time. During 6 months of the game play period, I have majority of the cards that use in meta and I can complete entire collection in 8 months. and mostly play only casual. I barely make to rank 10. mostly stuck at 13. I may not be a competitive player but I very enjoy the state of the game and the Seasonal mode is fun to me. (despite that several players dislike this mode.)

I really appreciated the Prestige which grant perks to player. Prestige 3-4 give me a lots of resources from GG in seasonal mode while Prestige 6-7 also add extra RP for each daily reward. Now, I'm prestige 8 and I notice that I got 1RP from GG from every 10-12 game plays. I will collect this data more and see the average chance how much RP players might be able to get from the GG. Anyway, at this point, players should have their entire collections plus extra ore or scrap with sufficient to get all cards in the next expansion on day1.

How much do I play for Gwent? -- Thronebreaker, 3 Seasonal Premium Pass, 3 Gwent Open bundle and a few cosmetic. I will support CDPR further by purchasing Premium Pass and some cosmetic.

And to answer the original question, I feel the game is still very fun. Especially, the single card they add, Gadoc, one card can make a new archetype in meta. Wow, this is amazing.

I wish the situation from Cyberpunk won't cause any trouble to the CDPR and Gwent team.

How much you think someone has to pay to get a decent collection?...

So, after a few casual play years and a few months of heavy grind I only have 3 decent decks and I'm on my way to a Monsters one too...

I've already said that I've seen new players maybe get to pro rank with hardly any or no cards beyond their starting set. That might be a good thing. For most players, I'd say that more cards helps.

Maybe it's bad that it's taken you years to get some decent decks? I've already said that for the kind of money that CDPR asks you for a jumbo set of kegs, I think that they should you give the entire set of cards in the game, premium ones, for the same price.

I didn't mill any of my cards away at the start. I only mill those I have more than two premium copies of. Playing since late 2019, I've gotten the entire sets for all factions apart from a few from Nil and around double figures from Syn missing. I'm missing maybe a similar number to Syn in neutrals. Maybe that's not a bad rate of accumulation. But then there's been that whole COVID thing. Is that a thing where you are? So, spent more time on this game that I probably would have otherwise.

I would concede though that I I might have gotten all the cards if I'd been aware of those inane Journey contracts which can give you heaps of keys. That's a grind. I completed the Alzur one.

So, sure, you can get the set of cards without paying a cent. It would just be one Hell of grind to do that. That's the way that CDPR intend it to be. Just make paying a lot of money for the chance to get a good set (via keg purchases) more appealing than the endless grind of the game.

I didn't mill any of my cards away at the start. I only mill those I have more than two premium copies of.
This is btw a general rule of thumb all new players should follow. Just don't mill your cards - you lose much more on the long run. Most of those cards you'll need later on. It is like getting into a loan - it feels good at start to have the extra money, but in the end you'll pay a lot more and will cripple your chances at any other decktypes.

So, sure, you can get the set of cards without paying a cent. It would just be one Hell of grind to do that.
But is this a bad thing honestly? For me for example, the grind (be it light or hard) is one of the most enjoyable part of the game. I feel myself a little less motivated to play now that I have mostly every card available.

I know they've been making news. None of it applies here.

You specifically pointed out Journey and the Reward Tree as examples of gambling mechanic. That's what I was refuting. And you didn't address that here at all. Instead you pivoted towards card kegs. Fine.

The reward book and the Journeys provide a little reward for a lot of effort. Gambling does that too. But sure, you can say that they're two completely different things to kegs. Let's say that the reward book and the Journeys aren't gambling. Well then, they're designed to be addictive, aren't they?...and that's morally superior to being out and out gambling techniques, as far as the lucky dip of kegs go?

So, we're agreed that the keg mechanism of card acquisition is gambling but not the rest. Well, to me, that's saying that GWENT has a suite of addictive traits, including gambling mechanics.

I don't think that you can let CDPR off the hook as easily as you make out.
Post automatically merged:

But is this a bad thing honestly? For me for example, the grind (be it light or hard) is one of the most enjoyable part of the game. I feel myself a little less motivated to play now that I have mostly every card available.

I've said in the past on these boards that I feel that I'm just playing for the rewards, as in keys for rewards books, to allow me to get enough shards to craft the cards that I don't have. Shouldn't the game itself be enjoyable? Again, part of my problem with enjoyment is that when I'm trying to rank up, I find myself constantly spammed by superior decks which make this extremely difficult. That's not fun at all.

Maybe I should just join the crowd and netdeck. I 'technically' made pro rank without doing this. I like the idea of old decks remaining competitive with new ones, or at least being able to swap out like-for-like cards/units, so that you improve your deck.

Maybe that's sort of making a comeback now, as Geralt seems to be very popular again, or is that just seasonal?

Anyway, I've been playing since late 2019. Maybe that's just a normal amount of time to start wanting to move on from a game?

Last edited:
During 6 months of the game play period, I have majority of the cards that use in meta and I can complete entire collection in 8 months. and mostly play only casual.

Now, I'm prestige 8 and I notice that I got 1RP from GG from every 10-12 game plays. I will collect this data more and see the average chance how much RP players might be able to get from the GG. Anyway, at this point, players should have their entire collections plus extra ore or scrap with sufficient to get all cards in the next expansion on day1.

How much do I play for Gwent? -- Thronebreaker, 3 Seasonal Premium Pass, 3 Gwent Open bundle and a few cosmetic. I will support CDPR further by purchasing Premium Pass and some cosmetic.
I feel compelled to ask just how much you play because those stats don't make sense to me. I started playing at around the same time as you (May 2020) and appear to have spent around the same amount of money as well; however, I'm not even Prestige 5 yet, while you say you're Prestige 8. Also, you had a complete collection after 8 months, whereas I would still be missing 100 Legendaries if I spent all of my scraps to craft as many new cards as possible.

For reference, I play practically every day, and I often play for an hour or two per day. So how often do you play? 3 hours a day? 4? 5? 6? I'm genuinely curious.

The reward book and the Journeys provide a little reward for a lot of effort. Gambling does that too. But sure, you can say that they're two completely different things to kegs. Let's say that the reward book and the Journeys aren't gambling. Well then, they're designed to be addictive, aren't they?...and that's morally superior to being out and out gambling techniques, as far as the lucky dip of kegs go?

So, we're agreed that the keg mechanism of card acquisition is gambling but not the rest. Well, to me, that's saying that GWENT has a suite of addictive traits, including gambling mechanics.

I don't think that you can let CDPR off the hook as easily as you make out.

Journey and the Reward Tree are there to give the player a sense of progression in a game that otherwise has very little of it and are not essential to the game itself. It can easily be skipped and it does nothing to affect the gameplay at all.

And it really seems like you started with the conclusion and you're working your way backwards to prove your point. With that kind of flawed logic, pretty much everything can be argued to be addictive or some other negative thing. Comic books are designed to be addictive, because they force you to keep giving them money if you want to know what happens next. Give money for more. Like crack. Someone should sue those shady bastards, they are worse than casinos.

I feel compelled to ask just how much you play because those stats don't make sense to me. I started playing at around the same time as you (May 2020) and appear to have spent around the same amount of money as well; however, I'm not even Prestige 5 yet, while you say you're Prestige 8. Also, you had a complete collection after 8 months, whereas I would still be missing 100 Legendaries if I spent all of my scraps to craft as many new cards as possible.

For reference, I play practically every day, and I often play for an hour or two per day. So how often do you play? 3 hours a day? 4? 5? 6? I'm genuinely curious.

I mostly play Journey mode and sometime it has a deck that quite strong which allow me to win the majority of the time I played (eg. win rate is 70-90%) while I played 2 cycles per day -- morning about 5-7 games win and at night 5-12 more game win. Some weekend, I play more and reach the maximum cp capped (350 cp / weeks) sometime. My games win now is 4,073. You can see my stat here >> (Smith_X - GWENT: The Witcher Card Game (playgwent.com) ) oh yes I played a lot of battle rush in couple months ago. That's a fast grind (6-7 minute per game while normal game mode is about 15-20 minute per game)

In gog galaxy said I've been playing 932 hour now and I think I have been playing about 100+ hour in Steam. So, it's about 4 and a half hour on average per day O_O. omg.. I have no idea I play Gwent this much! Can I blame Covid XD?

Top Bottom