Do you actually like CP77 being shorter then Witcher3 ?

+

Do you actually like CP77 being shorter then Witcher3 ?

• Yes (because)

Votes: 31 7.1%
  • No (because)

Votes: 365 83.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 39 9.0%

• Total voters
Never played The Witcher so I can't compare but hearing the Dev comment about shortening CP due to low numbers of Witcher players finishing the main storyline suggests they do not understand their player base. I have played CP through completely 5 times now. I would have preferred more content either in side jobs or main jobs though I am not sure how much more of Johnny I could have tolerated tbf.

Nope, i felt frustrated about this point because :

- Relation with Jackie is very short
- The game start with an elipse, i was like "seriously ?" How am i suppose to love my friend if i didn't really lived things with him ?
- I didn't really felt invited to go on secondary content (that felt intrusive first. All these calls all the time, etc.) and live my merc life. I really started doing it after the end of the story and it was frustrating like : why am i doing this, game is over. Of course i loved discovering Night City, but it was tainted with bitterness.

After i finished the game and i understood how it works, i wanted to start a new game and play it the right way. But the surprise effect of discovering the story was over.

I am frustrated about how we are leaded (or unleaded) into the story.

I never beat TW3, (only got to the bloody baron questline then quit). But if what they say is true that it was just too long, then this game is still just too short. Maybe it doesn't need to be 50+ hours, but 20 hours isn't enough for a single player RPG who's biggest focus is on the story and the characters. It's not like Skyrim or Fallout 4 where the focus is more on the free roam and just goofing off for the most part, I think this game would've been good with 35-40 hour long main story.

Let us play through the montage with Jackie, and give us more missions in Act 3 where we are on the run from Arasaka after kidnapping Hanako while we try and regroup with her to finally take them down.

I've played a good portion of TW3 and it is one of my favorite games that I have played. I really don't have an opinion either way on game length as long as I have fun playing the game. A game can be 100+ hours long but not really fun or engaging for a majority of those hours.

CDPR's mistake is depending on raw analytics to make decisions without more research and closer examinations of the results and the actual reasons behind them, sure maybe only a small number of people played the The Witcher 3 from start to finish, but the reasons for that DON'T have to be the length of the story, there are MANY other reasons for why that's the case.

One of the main reasons I have seen many people cite including some of the friends is the combat system, many people enjoyed the world, story and characters of the Witcher 3 but hated the combat, some also brought up the item management and inventory being clunky or hard to use, some of my friends dropped the game because they got busy with life and never had the chance to return to it, and I'm quite sure some people bought the The Witcher 3 and tried it to see what the fuss is all about out of pure curiosity (not everyone has been playing The Witcher games since the first, and it's clear the games exploded into mainstream popularity by the third game) but they didn't like what they got and maybe refunded the game or gave it to a friend, it happens all the time.

So CDPR should have done more market research and surveys to ask people why they didn't complete The Witcher 3 main story before deciding it's the length of the game that's the problem and proceeding to shorten Cyberpunk's main campaign story based on that, I could have missed some of the best missions in Cyberpunk 2077 if I just went for the "point of no return" mission as soon as it appeared, but instead I had to spend ours ignoring the notification for the Hanako Embers mission in order to experience some of the best story content the game has to offer, which was kind of annoying, I was always thinking "Why wasn't this integrated with the main plot in some way!!?"

Hopefully they won't repeat that mistake again.

Yes , no issue with the length of the game here. 200hrs in and still keep finding things. I don't live in a world where everything either has to be the same as, more than or better than etc. No surprises that on GOG, 19% is the average percentage of achievements gained by players in CP2077, so the vast majority of PC players on GOG aren't even doing all the content that's in the game to start with, let alone if the game was bigger.

Yes , no issue with the length of the game here. 200hrs in and still keep finding things. I don't live in a world where everything either has to be the same as, more than or better than etc. No surprises that on GOG, 19% is the average percentage of achievements gained by players in CP2077, so the vast majority of PC players on GOG aren't even doing all the content that's in the game to start with, let alone if the game was bigger.

The topic is about the lenght of the main quest + important sidequests.

My main complaint isn't the length so much as the game being comprised entirely of one-offs. Nothing in the game is repeatable so once you clear the map the first time you have nothing left to do but drive around and take pictures.

I honestly can't understand those people who complained about long story. Like, since when it's became a bad thing? On the contrary, Its absolutely awesome when you are able to play a game for 100+ hours, exploring and having fun. Especially if the game keeps you attached to the story during these hours and not gets boring. I think this was the problem with CP and not complaints, they just didnt know how to make a long game without it getting boring.

I honestly can't understand those people who complained about long story. Like, since when it's became a bad thing? On the contrary, Its absolutely awesome when you are able to play a game for 100+ hours, exploring and having fun. Especially if the game keeps you attached to the story during these hours and not gets boring. I think this was the problem with CP and not complaints, they just didnt know how to make a long game without it getting boring.

The waters are already cloudy - but they get murkier when you factor in the three game length aspects. 1) Main Story, 2) Total Complete Play-through 3) The time to completion that is satisfying for a player. (This last one may mean 30 - 50% completion of things plus the main story for example).

So I am one of those people who don't want super long games (3rd point above), and I'll try to explain to you why.

I don't have the time or energy to invest in a game that is going to take me hundreds of hours to hit that third point (feel that I've completed it enough to be satisfied). If a game takes hundreds of hours to do that, historically it will likely end up taking me months or even years to finish (if at all), and even then begrudgingly. I want to be able to drop into a game and play it to a point I feel I've enjoyed myself and do other stuff over a period of time where it doesn't end up feeling it's a chore.

The OP wasn't specifically talking about the main story, so I won't either, Cyberpunk hits that third point right on the head of the nail for me. Thus I've completed it a few times since release. Each run I feel that I've achieved a play-through I'm satisfied with.

I still haven't finished Dragon Inquisition, I've only done one complete play-through of The Witcher 3. I've played ~30 times through the first Mass Effect, countless through Dragon Age Origins, and even a few through Mass Effect Andromeda. (The sweet spot for me is hitting that magic 3rd point between 30 - 80 hours approx)

I'm not saying I'm right, and you're wrong - I'm just trying to explain that for people like me, going longer overall can be a negative against the game.

Now, if you want to get into specifics about the main game or the 100% completion time - they're different things that deserve their own threads.

The fact that you've done complete playthroughs multiple times in the span of just over a month is evidence enough that the story part of the game is too short.

You didn't read the rest of the my post - and if you did you missed the context behind it. I don't want to complete a game once and put it away - I want to go back to it and play it multiple times. Like a good book or a good movie.

I'll put the line here again "Cyberpunk hits that third point right on the head of the nail for me. Thus I've completed it a few times since release. Each run I feel that I've achieved a play-through I'm satisfied with. "

Each run. Each future run.

You didn't read the rest of the my post - and if you did you missed the context behind it. I don't want to complete a game once and put it away - I want to go back to it and play it multiple times. Like a good book or a good movie.

I'll put the line here again "Cyberpunk hits that third point right on the head of the nail for me. Thus I've completed it a few times since release. Each run I feel that I've achieved a play-through I'm satisfied with. "

Each run. Each future run.

Are you honestly saying you would be less satisfied with a fuller single experience in that same time-span? If the available content was engaging enough to support the length?

Are you honestly saying you would be less satisfied with a fuller single experience in that same time-span? If the available content was engaging enough to support the length?

Read the original post I wrote - I wrote everything in there. If you want clarification on specifics, I'll be happy to oblige.

Read the original post I wrote - I wrote everything in there. If you want clarification on specifics, I'll be happy to oblige.

There's no confusion. I get it, I'm the same way for the most part. But I would still be happier if the existing experience was more fleshed out. It's not just the length itself, is that certain parts feel forced and disjointed because there's obviously stuff missing that the game's pacing was designed around.

There's no confusion. I get it, I'm the same way for the most part. But I would still be happier if the existing experience was more fleshed out. It's not just the length itself, is that certain parts feel forced and disjointed because there's obviously stuff missing that the game's pacing was designed around.

Yeah and that's what I was saying about how the 'length' discussion gets murky.

I use it a lot as an example, but 4x is that genre where "An enjoyable and satisfactory gaming experience" can vary so much. Some of my best experiences have gone for a few hours, and others hundreds. Some of my worst have gone for hundreds, and some a few hours.

Even the comments in this thread saying it's too short are talking about different parts of the game for different reasons, and this is an issue with open worlds in general. A player who takes their time between locations vs a player that fast travels. A player that reads every shred of lore vs a player that doesn't care - are all going to get wildly varying amounts of time that will affect whether they feel it was too long or too short.

With Cyberpunk, I am yet to do a 100% meta completionist run, but my playthroughs from a new game to the end of the final mission have been between 60 - 100 hours roughly. I haven't done everything - I'm still finding new things in my fourth. Each one has been super enjoyable.

The way I play, Cyberpunk really did nail it.

The way I play, The Witcher 3 dragged.

Again, I'm not saying "I'm right and you're wrong", I just don't think there is a perfect way to do it for an open world game that will appease everyone.

No. I finished the Witcher twice, and both DLCs.

Many have commented on the number of NPCs in CP who could easily have had greatly expanded story arcs, further character development, and more extensive mission paths. I agree, and have wondered if some of that lack is due to the shortness of the main campaign. Seems logical the two are connected.

On the other hand; considering the number of recently confessed to serious development issues CDPR encountered; that is likely a factor in what I noted above to some degree. And at least partially responsible for much of the cut/disabled content and features many of us are not happy about.

In the end............................the main campaign arc, for me, is one more hole in the leaky boat that is CP 2077.

The six months with Jackie should have been most of the game (and also containing most of the free roam), and the Heist should have been the point of no return (with only the biggest side jobs open after this part, such as romances and the ones that could change the ending).

Top Bottom