After finishing the story I feel extremely empty inside

+
CP2077 has made me feel like literally no other game ever. The way they were able to bring so many emotions in me is not something I was expecting in the slightest. I fell in love with the story since the intro quests, I still can't get over how well written the story is and how well the storytelling was executed. Every character is an actual character, huge deep personality with strengths and flaws both, which makes them more believable and relatable in some cases. This is the first time I actually felt like I'm part of the game, I really felt like V, it was very easy to forget you're playing and just dive into the world and experience whatever was about to happen.

I've never cried while playing a game until now. Not simply just because there are some sad moments, but the way the atmosphere builds in into a huge crescendo of emotions. Such as when you "Get a new jacket" in one of those endings(don't want to spoil). This has made me feel so warm inside, like all of negative feelings I had and all the feelings of solitude disappeared.. Those big moments are just so well written that I won't be able to stop thinking about them for a long time. This game has made me feel emotions I haven't known for literal years, as sad as it sounds, it is true and by saying this I'm just giving props to CDPR for how absolute artistic geniuses they are

Worst thing is, I can't just replay it again. I already did and it doesn't feel that good anymore when you know precisely everything about the story. So here I am now, replaying those memories in my head while feeling completely hollow in my chest, like I lost half my soul.
Thats the worst feeling bro. Now it cannot be new anymore, you can twitch some choices but not the main plot.
Wanna play a few rounds of gwent?

By saying that I feel hollow I don't mean that the game was bad or that something was missing from it. No. Exactly the opposite. The game was much more than I expected and I enjoyed it so much I consider it my overall favorite game of all time because of its artistic side - music, atmosphere, story, storytelling. CP feels like part of me that has been missing and now that I finished it it abandoned me again. Basically everything I wrote in the main post, but don't take it against the devs. they made my 2020 way better than it was & start of 2021 as well.
Now that I finished it I feel hollow because I can't continue the amazing experience or enjoy the story because I already know what it is. I'd pay another 60€ gladly for a first time experience like this.
Happened to me decades ago, read this book Neuromancer and a lot of other things just didn't appear that appealing anymore after that.

For me this game was a lot of those things you wrote in your OP, though I really liked it on intellectual level too. In many ways hit me like a hammer and I'm still sort of trying to figure out how this game got me so involved.

If you look for post game content, I recommend watching video (and there's some follow up conversation there too) in this topic. Might be worth to glance through discussion there from the start too.

Hearing "fade away" play during the end credits was quite a bittersweet feeling for me. I spent roughly 5 weeks on my first playthrough so despite all it's faults by the time the game started to wind down into that final 3rd person sequence I realised just how much I actually loved playing Cyberpunk and as my character 'V'. I had post-game blues for a day or so? Hears to hoping CDPR do enough via updates to bring me back playing a second time around as corpo or street kid so then I can experience it all again for some more completed it emptiness :sleep:
Bittersweet? I felt insulted, because my V just forfeit her personal rights and went into soul prison.

Well. Last Sound in the game was V's final breath, followed by darkness. I literally witnessed my Avatar fading away and then that song started to play.

Kick to the balls 100

Sad that this gets lost in the drama surrounding the rough release. I like the characters a hall of a lot more than those of Dragon Age: Inquisition for instance. I really liked how they made Jackie easy to like AND then killed him off (because this isn't Disney folks!) - setting you up emotionally for the drama of a slow death sentence. However, more missions with him would have cemented the relationship further for an even greater impact.
Calling it a "rough" release is a compliment.
I would say, a big clusterfuck leaded by greedy people that don't care about customers, yeah, that's fit better the situation.

Inquisition while not being the same as Origin, still has better characters and way more RPG elements than Cyberpunk, actually, Inquisition is an RPG while Cyberpunk a looter shooter with some story behind.
Yeah you have some good and well done quests, that's for sure.

No. Feeling empty is exactly what the writer should not want to happen.

When you feel empty after a story, it means something crucial is missing. In this case, it's closure and satisfaction.
Closure and satisfaction are the goal of an ending, because it closes the story. People feel empty after cyberpunk, because the story does not feel like it's finished. This comes from missing closure and from the player being tricked at the 11th hour.

Even the things that happened at the end can be satisfactory, if the protagonist reaches the set goals - however, that did not really happen.

closure and satisfaction are not the point of an ending. Sometimes they are, but its up to the writer and their goals.

CP2077 has made me feel like literally no other game ever. The way they were able to bring so many emotions in me is not something I was expecting in the slightest. I fell in love with the story since the intro quests, I still can't get over how well written the story is and how well the storytelling was executed. Every character is an actual character, huge deep personality with strengths and flaws both, which makes them more believable and relatable in some cases. This is the first time I actually felt like I'm part of the game, I really felt like V, it was very easy to forget you're playing and just dive into the world and experience whatever was about to happen.

I've never cried while playing a game until now. Not simply just because there are some sad moments, but the way the atmosphere builds in into a huge crescendo of emotions. Such as when you "Get a new jacket" in one of those endings(don't want to spoil). This has made me feel so warm inside, like all of negative feelings I had and all the feelings of solitude disappeared.. Those big moments are just so well written that I won't be able to stop thinking about them for a long time. This game has made me feel emotions I haven't known for literal years, as sad as it sounds, it is true and by saying this I'm just giving props to CDPR for how absolute artistic geniuses they are

Worst thing is, I can't just replay it again. I already did and it doesn't feel that good anymore when you know precisely everything about the story. So here I am now, replaying those memories in my head while feeling completely hollow in my chest, like I lost half my soul.

I know the feeling. Im waiting for a few patches aned DLC before I play again. I thouroughly enjoyed myself for 100+ hours and im just greatful im not totally devastated as I was at the end of RDR2. I cried like a baby over Arthur. V, just has me feeling bland and empty. Which I guess is kind of the point of a capitalistic dystopian future where we are just consumers and distracted husks.

Last edited:
closure and satisfaction are not the point of an ending. Sometimes they are, but its up to the writer and their goals.
Closure and satisfaction are the exact point of an ending.

The ending closes the story.

Before you pull the "it's a tragedy" card, especially in a tragedy, the protagonist should go out in way that positively touches the reader/observer/player by raising at least sympathy and understanding but not pity and remorse.

In addition, this story does not check lots of the marks to even make it a tragedy. It's a story of survival.

Bittersweet? I felt insulted, because my V just forfeit her personal rights and went into soul prison.

Well. Last Sound in the game was V's final breath, followed by darkness. I literally witnessed my Avatar fading away and then that song started to play.

Kick to the balls 100

This is what you chose to happen? What did you expect? you aligned with people who never cared about you, and you decided to trust Hellman with your fate. This is the logical resolution of your V's journey. You decided to protect their soul prison and keep it running. Johnny And Alt told you what it was like.

An ending or resolution of the conflict is based on the journey of the main character, and the world they were in. They provided you with info on the world, and you chose your path

This is what you chose to happen? What did you expect? you aligned with people who never cared about you, and you decided to trust Hellman with your fate. This is the logical resolution of your V's journey. You decided to protect their soul prison and keep it running. Johnny And Alt told you what it was like.

An ending or resolution of the conflict is based on the journey of the main character, and the world they were in. They provided you with info on the world, and you chose your path
So. We are getting personal now?

You have reached a low..

Closure and satisfaction are the exact point of an ending.

The ending closes the story.

Before you pull the "it's a tragedy" card, especially in a tragedy, the protagonist should go out in way that positively touches the reader/observer/player by raising at least sympathy and understanding but not pity and remorse.

In addition, this story does not check lots of the marks to even make it a tragedy. It's a story of survival.

the problem is, you wrote this story. And you chose to make it a cautionary tale.

Calling it a "rough" release is a compliment.
I would say, a big clusterfuck leaded by greedy people that don't care about customers, yeah, that's fit better the situation.

Inquisition while not being the same as Origin, still has better characters and way more RPG elements than Cyberpunk, actually, Inquisition is an RPG while Cyberpunk a looter shooter with some story behind.
Yeah you have some good and well done quests, that's for sure.
I can RP V pretty easily to the point each fedls and plays differently

Better characters?? Subjective tbh, Judys whole arc is better done than anything BioWare has done an thats just friendship an this from a guy who couldn't get enough Morrigan or Liara

CDPR could certainly add more, which im sure will come, to help players RP there V better than now but the choices available just now are plentiful from life path dialogue, builds, clothing, what you drive, how you approach a mission etc etc to be able to RP your character sufficiently well. CP has more choice in this regatrd than the whole Mass effect series which was basically just Paragon/Renegade an ppl RPed there shepards just fine

So. We are getting personal now?

You have reached a low..

this is not personal. I'm talking about this from a player/rpg standpoint, not your real life

This is an rpg, the player takes on a role. The story adapts to that role within the context of the world they are in. You explored what this world has to say about the type of company Arasaka(and most corporations) is, and what people who put their faith in them get. The answer is Arasaka sees people as commodities, discards them when no longer useful, stores them if they may be useful later. They commodified you was a logical ending, given the circumstances. They also gave you the player the choice to walk away.

This illustrates the pressure people feel, and why they follow corporations. They feel like they have little choice, and to walk away from the corporation is an uncertain future, which most people think will lead to death/failure. But to stay, essentially means giving up your life in hopes that one day they will free you with a better situation(retirement)

Good reading here. After my first play through, I felt very empty. Why did I spend all those hours with my character just to find out he was going to die anyway? I felt that I had accomplished nothing.

Now I understand that the world of cyberpunk is a deep dark world, I get that. V's story is a story of survival, or at least it should be, but that's not the way I interpreted the story once I had finished. It wasn't V's story anyway (as we were told it would be), it was Johnny Silverhands story. Now there is a slight feeling of betrayal, on my part. I felt used if I can put it that way.

This topic has appeared before in one manner or another, and I will say once again, that there should be at least one 'good' or 'happy', ending to V's story(?). Using an old cliche', An ending where V (he or she) rides off into the sunset and you, the player, knows V will survive and live on in Night City or where ever. You would feel that you accomplished something.

I am now on my second play through and taking my time, I'm close to three hundred hours. I'm pretty much ignoring the main story quests and just running around exploring, doing side quests, gigs. Takemura is still waiting for me...somewhere, he's just going to have to wait.

I will not play act three again ( point of no return ) now that I know all the endings. Once I get to that point, I'll just start over.

Many of you will think this is silly and that's fine, but that's the way I feel. I still love the game and there is just so much I can do just running around doing side quests, exploring and leave the story line quests for last.

Last edited:
The writers wrote this story, not the player* ;)

in an rpg, the players and the writers collaborate. The player chooses V's path/goals The writers write the rest of the world, That ending is completely consistent with what we know of the characters and the world. They showed us repeatedly what Arasaka was about

if you are playing a tabletop RPG and you choose to make your character jump off a building at the end, The GM is not why you died. If you choose to sell your soul to a demon, the GM is not why you become an npc

when I did that pathline, i hated it, I already disliked the type of V that would make that choice, and I didnt believe in the corpo way, but I did it just to see. The ending was painful, but it was clearly the result of that V's choices. The only ones who cared about that V were Judy, and Vic(I ignored or betrayed others), Arasaka treated V transactionally(this was best case scenario for any corporate interaction we saw in game). Maybe it would have been better if takamura was alive, but I thought him already dead and escaped. I still walked away once Hellman showed the deal. I enjoyed flipping them off, And the uncertainty, starting from scratch, the look on Vs face as leaving encapsulated what those choices had lead to.

Last edited:
in an rpg, the players and the writers collaborate. The player chooses V's path/goals The writers write the rest of the world, That ending is completely consistent with what we know of the characters and the world. They showed us repeatedly what Arasaka was about

if you are playing a tabletop RPG and you choose to make your character jump off a building at the end, The GM is not why you died. If you choose to sell your soul to a demon, the GM is not why you become an npc
The writers wrote all of the options.

[/QUOTE]
The writers wrote all of the options.

Its a game, there will never be infinite options, but it is a collaboration. The writers job in any RPG is to be consistent with the game world and other NPCs. The player makes the decisions for the PC
Post automatically merged:

I don't see any form of collaboration in this game. The story is on rails.

The only collaboration is the writer saying: "pick your poison"

what would you have chose differently from V's perspective assuming the other characters and the world remained consistent.

I have to admit Ive felt pretty similiar at the end of the journey. I`m not really a gamer and it was suprise for me to get emotional over just a game. I would say the music, visuals and plot can take you to a different places in hour head and feel sadness, loneliness, happiness etc like in a really good movie. I will really miss those characters and I hope there will be extra content soon which will provide some kind of continuation for V.

Last edited:
Yes, same
the ending is sad and disappointing
I wait for new patches and/or dlc to start a new playthough and maybe get a better ending

Top Bottom