Key Remapping

+
Some of the mappings don't always work either, I mapped CTRL to crouch toggle because C is the skip dialog option and thats just silly, and crouching still doesn't always work. So I mapped it to Z and it's no better.

See if this helps.

tldr; between two files you can edit most keybinds without mods.
UserSettings.json
inputUserMappings.xml

I was driven to re-assign Sandevistan from the default 'E' to somewhere less likely to be fat-fingered. But when I try and find what 'E' is assigned to in-game, it can't be found.

That's because only some things are set via in-game keybinds, and those settings get stored in;
C:\Users\<Your PC>\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\UserSettings.json

This file is important because it's how you can find out what the game calls your keys so you can use them in the other file that matters, which has the other actions you might want to change but can't access in-game;
<your game install path>\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\r6\config\inputUserMappings.xml

This file is where I found the action for Sandevistan(IconicCyberware Button) and 'E', which I changed to Numpad+. I love Numpad+ for fast actions like heals or Sandevistan. Just whap it with my mousehand thumb. Never accidentally gets triggered.

<mapping name="IconicCyberware_Button" type="Button" >
<button id="IK_NumPlus" overridableUI="iconic"/>
<button id="IK_Pad_LeftRightShoulder" />

CORRECTION: It is in json as well as below and that is obviously the main file the game calls on so make sure any changes are made in this one. I found out because Sandevistan stopped working and it had gotten changed in json to the default that was in the xml. So on any I changed via the files I set default and primary to the key I wanted.

{
"name": "iconic",
"type": "name",
"value": "IK_NumPlus",
"default_value": "IK_NumPlus"
},

To do this, I had to assign Numpad+ to something in-game to find out they call it 'NumPlus'. I was then able to go to the second file and type that in, replacing 'E'.

If you can't find the action in-game in key bindings, then you will likely find it here. It looks like 'F' default action assignments are also here. Search for IK_F. Ignore the F key ones like IK_F5 and you can likely change 'F' without mods. I'm happy with 'F' staying as is so didn't bother.

Using the first file is how I found out what the game calls some keys so I could use them.

Another good one to change might be Scan(Toggle). I moved it from CapsLock to Numpad minus (NumMinus) so I quit accidentally toggling it on.

NOTES:
1) Use Notepad to open these files and 'Edit/Find and Find Next from the Notepad menu bar.
2) AppData is normally hidden so you'll need to check 'Hidden Items' under 'View' in 'File Explorer'.
3) Always make sure you aren't using a key assigned elsewhere.
4) Make backups of the originals.

Or just try this mod for optimized keybindings

just the important changes, E for action, dedicated dodge on alt and exit things with right click.
it worked with no conflict right after installation unlike 5 others i tried. by far the best for me. also cool modder giving support and for multiple keyboards too now i believe

Or just try this mod for optimized keybindings

just the important changes, E for action, dedicated dodge on alt and exit things with right click.
it worked with no conflict right after installation unlike 5 others i tried. by far the best for me. also cool modder giving support and for multiple keyboards too now i believe

Ewww, no. That's a pretty bad sounding setup and I avoid mods.

Hi,

[Edit: sorry, didn't find this thread at first, thanks to the mods for moving my post. TL;DR: +1 and a million thanks to Mountain2000]

I don't like playing games in the WASD region of the keyboard because there's just not enough buttons there. All of the important buttons are to the right of WASD but I have no fingers there! Instead my pinky is being treated like an idiot, sitting idle most of the time because it only has access to Ctrl, Shift and CapsLock. It is beyond me why so many people use that keyboard region to play complex, fast-paced games. If you move your hand just a little to the right, e.g. with the middle finger on F, you can access many more buttons SO MUCH more comfortably. Plus you get the tactile marker on the F key as orientation in case you do move your hand around (which you don't have to as often because you have all keys on your fingertips).

Now I've seen a bunch of games with hardcoded keys recently. The question why that still happens in 2021 is a subject for a separate rant. But in Cyberpunk 2077 I can't even use any of the keyboard remapping tools I usually use to remedy that situation because it seems to implement its own input layer that reads directly from the USB devices. Why would you do something like that? You really think anyone is going to notice the few microseconds of latency added by the Windows input layer?

So please, either fix the CyberPunk input driver so that ALL KEYS can be remapped, or support reading input from another higher-level service such as DirectInput or whatever Windows offers in that regard. As an added benefit, that would also address the accessibility issues reported by users with disabilities. Or best, do both, then everyone will be happy ;-)

Last edited:
Honestly I can't even fathom why keys like F can't be re-mapped. Either it is some blunder that should have been fixed in the first patch or it is some kind of weird anti player measure. I failed so many silent takedowns by having to reach from arrows to F even though I have perfectly good unused mouse side button (n)

At what point will the developers open up simple rebinds like the default "F" action key? As a more natural typist I rest my hands on ASDF which means I move all my movement binds over a key "WASD" to "ESDF". This is the first game in the past 2 years that won't allow such a simple rebind as the "F" key seems to be reserved. This game is still unplayable for a lot of people who play more naturally. I'm not a small minority and/or outlier as the steam forums can attest.

Today, patch 1.2 was released. ali finally changed the motion control, the F key still can not be changed. They wrote that they will still fix the keys, but I am uncomfortable without the action key on the enter.

This is ridiculous. I'm a ESDF player myself. F key still hardcoded. Whoever comes up with these stupid decisions? What keys they did actually fix?

I tried all keys, and it seems that only F is locked/hardcoded. ??? CDPR

Last edited:
So, they released partch 1.2 and still didn't address this issue which makes almost unplayable the game.
Great. No more love for cd project red (lowercase intended).

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Autohotkey is working for me with this game (version 1.06). I created this autohotkey script:

RButton::f
x::ExitApp

Now, the right mouse is working perfectly for the F key in the game.
I also made an account to say thanks for this. Was really easy and works great. I used "XButton2" on the mouse (the 'forward' side button) as an "F" duplicate.
AHK is pretty neat! ffffffff <---- did those with my mouse!

Are we ever going to get full rebind? How many months has it been since release and we still can't rebind F? I put Cyberpunk on the shelf waiting for updates and expecting full remapping by this point. Finally got a new GPU and was ready to jump back in, but as many have said, if you're an ESDF user, this game is impossible to play.

Autohotkey is an option, but we shouldn't have to resort to third party tools just to freaking change a keybind! This is beyond ridiculous.

Has anyone seen any confirmation from CDPR that this will ever be fixed/allowed?

Are we ever going to get full rebind? How many months has it been since release and we still can't rebind F? I put Cyberpunk on the shelf waiting for updates and expecting full remapping by this point. Finally got a new GPU and was ready to jump back in, but as many have said, if you're an ESDF user, this game is impossible to play.

Autohotkey is an option, but we shouldn't have to resort to third party tools just to freaking change a keybind! This is beyond ridiculous.

Has anyone seen any confirmation from CDPR that this will ever be fixed/allowed?
I just did it by manually editing the config files, eg inputUserMappings.xml (ESDF here too)

Yeah, that's an option too, but that just shouldn't be needed. Not to mention it's a royal pita with the way they've set up the json. I just really thought that five months after release we'd have full key mapping options. Hell, modders had it done in the first few weeks and it worked great. Sadly, updates to the game have broken those mods and now I can't find one that allows F or a few other keys to be remapped.

If modders could do it that fast, why doesn't CDPR have it done already? Come on!

Top Bottom