Hardcore/Ironman Mode

+
Hardcore/Ironman Mode

One life and then you restart.

Have you the..testicular fortitude?Should this even be an option? Immediately or after a game completion? Maybe a written test first?

Hmmm... not for this kind of game. If it was a game that was mostly focused on combat I'd be down for it, but seeing as I'll most probably waste countless hours doing random non-combat stuff, it would REALLY hurt once I finally kick the bucket in combat after 45 hours of side-quests and random stuff lol

It should be an option and definitely immediately. I say take it a step further and just look at everything Project Eternity is doing for the difficulty.

Expert Mode will disable all of the common ease-of-use / in-case-you-missed it gameplay elements like the display of skill thresholds, influence/reputation modifiers, and similar "helper" information. In a fashion similar to Fallout: New Vegas' Hardcore Mode, Expert Mode will also enable more punitive and demanding gameplay elements, in and out of combat. We're not saying we're going to have weighty gold (for real, we're not saying that), but if we did, you can bet that would be automatically turned on by Expert Mode.

If you guessed that Trial of Iron is like Temple of Elemental Evil's Ironman Mode, you guessed right. When you start a Trial of Iron game, you have one save game that persists for the entire campaign... or until you die. And if you die, your save game is deleted. Enjoy!

Path of the Damned is a spiritual successor to Icewind Dale's Heart of Fury mode. In our encounters, we like to turn individual combatants on and off based on the level of difficulty. If you come into an area on Easy, maybe casters are replaced with weak melee enemies. If you come in on Hard, maybe the casters are augmented by a tough melee enemy or two. With Path of the Damned, that goes out the window. All enemies from all levels of difficulty are enabled and the combat mechanics are amplified to make battles much more brutal for everyone involved.

The first question you may have is, "Can I enable multiple challenge modes at once?" Yep, you sure can. They have to be selected at the beginning of the game, but if you want to play with two or all three at the same time, you can certainly can do so. If you're not quite sure you want all of the elements that come along with a given mode, this funding level will also cover implementing the ability to enable and disable the individual sub-features.

Honestly, if you want to play like that there's nothing stopping you from just deleting your save and starting over when you die.

I'd rather dev time and dollars not go to options that could be done by the player themselves if they choose to play that way.

Well, Grim, although you have a point, it's more that people are weak. Take X Com for exmple. if you play on non-Ironman, you will find all SORTS of interesting excuses to reload and save that level 8 sniper you just lost. Like, "My wife was yelling at me!" or "I sneezed and hit ENTER!" or "I loaded up and it was after work and i was tired and waaaaaah! I just got him to level EIGHT!" It's pathetic. I know this because I was this.

Whereas in Ironman, yeah..that's all worthless. You just have to cope. And your next play you gonna be reaaaaaal careful before you flip off that Blood razor pack.

Just one save would work fine for me, too. Then you can reload, but you still have to deal with the goddamn Punknaught bearing down at you...

Well, Grim, although you have a point, it's more that people are weak. Take X Com for exmple. if you play on non-Ironman, you will find all SORTS of interesting excuses to reload and save that level 8 sniper you just lost. Like, "My wife was yelling at me!" or "I sneezed and hit ENTER!" or "I loaded up and it was after work and i was tired and waaaaaah! I just got him to level EIGHT!" It's pathetic. I know this because I was this.

Whereas in Ironman, yeah..that's all worthless. You just have to cope. And your next play you gonna be reaaaaaal careful before you flip off that Blood razor pack.

Just one save would work fine for me, too. Then you can reload, but you still have to deal with the goddamn Punknaught bearing down at you...

I get what you're saying. I know a lot of people who play some MMOs that way as well.

Absolutely. Savescumming is one of the main things that breaks PnP mechanics in video games.

I think that would be an interesting option, make the game more interesting for those of us that played the PnP game religiously.

I don't mind if they do it but the game will have to be glitch free for me to try it. It's one of the reasons I don't do insane in TW2.

Sorry for my ignorance, but we talking about the difficulty correct, If it is so. I do preferred being one difficulty and that will be non. Why for the best of all times choosing sake, the game is just one difficulty for default, meaning I do not have to play with the main options and when i start to play the game automatically will be make my gameplay difficult by the way i play it and make my changes and upgrades.

For example in New Vegas, automatically ask you if you want to play it hard core. well lets say in this game, he will not ask me but every time i choose a false or correct move on how i will operate my gameplay. Then only then, automatically it will make it hard and more hard or normal depending on how obviously the intelligent A.I.system works against me. (If that's the correct word to it)

Honestly, I'd rather have them go the other direction. When I get gunned down I don't want to suddenly reappear at a checkpoint or get prompted to load my last save. I'd want the possibility of the Trauma Team arriving before I bleed out, possible having to replace a lost limb with something from the body bank or shelling out a bit more for a cybernetic limb.

The game would be so much more interesting if you could actually continue after suffering the consequences of your actions. I would still be up for an Ironman mode to enforce the consequences, provided the engine is very stable and there's no chance of losing the character to a crash / power-outage.

Honestly, I'd rather have them go the other direction. When I get gunned down I don't want to suddenly reappear at a checkpoint or get prompted to load my last save. I'd want the possibility of the Trauma Team arriving before I bleed out, possible having to replace a lost limb with something from the body bank or shelling out a bit more for a cybernetic limb.

The game would be so much more interesting if you could actually continue after suffering the consequences of your actions. I would still be up for an Ironman mode to enforce the consequences, provided the engine is very stable and there's no chance of losing the character to a crash / power-outage.

Now this could be a great idea.

Let's say you get shot up by Arasaka (or someone's) security, and they decide to implant experimental cybertech into you. Now, not only do you owe them your life, you have do a story arc worth of missions to repay them, and to get out from under their thumb.

I would love to see a difficulty mode like that implemented. Or at least something in the same spirit. I was actually thinking, today I think!, on how awesome it would be to play a hardcore mode of Cyberpunk 2077. No hud, no crosshair, no nothing. Just you, the city, and one bullet is all it takes to end your life. Sweet stuff man :D

There will be this mode quite probably. But you may never know, there might be no difficulty options as many sand box games don't have it. I would rather like that, no option defined difficulty and same for all, but it might cause a lot of uproar among casual players

Sorry for my ignorance, but we talking about the difficulty correct, If it is so. I do preferred being one difficulty and that will be non. Why for the best of all times choosing sake, the game is just one difficulty for default, meaning I do not have to play with the main options and when i start to play the game automatically will be make my gameplay difficult by the way i play it and make my changes and upgrades.

For example in New Vegas, automatically ask you if you want to play it hard core. well lets say in this game, he will not ask me but every time i choose a false or correct move on how i will operate my gameplay. Then only then, automatically it will make it hard and more hard or normal depending on how obviously the intelligent A.I.system works against me. (If that's the correct word to it)

Hardcore in this case is referring to perma-death, rather than actual difficulty. Although, by its very nature, hardcore/ironman forces you to play more cautiously.

All for a Hardcore / Ironman mode. I think it should be available after completing one playthrough at Normal difficulty.

All for it too (let's call it "Tru Cyberpunk"). if you go as far as including it, make it available at the beginning.
I think that's the way I'm going to play it the first time (maybe not for long though).

It should definitely be one of the difficulty settings, like Insane in the Witcher 2.

IIRC, in the PnP CP2020 the firefights didn't last long, one or 2 shots and you're dead/seriously injured so that could be a mode for those who want to feel the spirit of the original game.

I like the idea of a mode where its more difficult, but not in the sense of the enemies having more buckets of HP.

New Vegas's Hardcore Mode had totally the right idea for this (if a little to easy for my tastes) . Something I certainly would like to see developed further in games

Top Bottom