..._ V } Woman or Man?

+
I am a woman, it's not a breaking news , but I wanted to make a man, play a male character, funny at first. unfortunately it didn't work with my state of mind. the man of my life told me; you are, maybe too feminine? Yes maybe.
the male character V, from my point of view; it is first of all the voice. the freedom to think; I don't like the English male V voice. nor in Russian, French or Japanese.
V is a woman, according to me. it's up to everyone to think what they want in this feeling of gameplay.

Street kid; White woman, Nomad; Black woman, Corpo; Japanese woman.

msxyz

Forum regular
Considering the very limited 'player agency' this games provides, it's another meaningless choice. Sure it may influence a few romances but that's all. Personally I prefer the female 'voice'; it seems to me whoever did the dubbing for the female V was able to better convey emotions into her voice.

It's really incredible how CDPR gave us much less roleplay and agency with a 'blank state' character like V in comparison to what they did back in the day with the Witcher, where the protagonist had already a well established role, personality and traits.

I would really like a game where choosing the protagonist sex has some real C&C throughout the story; the settings have to be something like medioeval times or a fictional society with rigid castes and were each sex had his strict role. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen, not in today society where everybody is offended so easily and where witch-hunts are returning in the form of social campaigns, cancel culture, shaming people for not conforming to the mainstream, etc...

but I wanted to make a man, play a male character, funny at first. unfortunately it didn't work with my state of mind. the man of my life told me; you are, maybe too feminine? Yes maybe.

No offense but I find this ridiculous. It's roleplaying. You don't have to be "you". The idea is to play as a fictional character in a fictional setting. It could be a fictional version of yourself. It could be something completely different. You should not restrict your choices there because of the way you are in reality. If you wanted to play a male character, do so. Sure, it might be awkward at times. It might present challenges and not fit perfectly. All of this is okay.

I think V is a good protagonist, you can pour what ever you like to it. I play a female V and my daughter play male V, my daughter love his looks and voice acting. We play differently, and it feels like NPC treat us rather differently.
Its easier to tell the story of a well established character, the devs know how he will react to a given situation, on the other hand a blank slate character need to address the situation in different ways, I guess that it's harder to maintain it.

No offense but I find this ridiculous. It's roleplaying. You don't have to be "you". The idea is to play as a fictional character in a fictional setting. It could be a fictional version of yourself. It could be something completely different. You should not restrict your choices there because of the way you are in reality. If you wanted to play a male character, do so. Sure, it might be awkward at times. It might present challenges and not fit perfectly. All of this is okay.

Most people are incapable of separating themselves from the character they play. They just can't disconnect themselves from the actions of the character. I've had this discussion many times over the years, trust me, most people simply cannot separate the two.

There's a reason why a basic human male is the most played character in almost every MMO.

Nope. I got her. Can´t stand the voice of Bruce Willis in English. The german dub is more suitable. *shrug*

Considering the very limited 'player agency' this games provides, it's another meaningless choice. Sure it may influence a few romances but that's all. Personally I prefer the female 'voice'; it seems to me whoever did the dubbing for the female V was able to better convey emotions into her voice.

It's really incredible how CDPR gave us much less roleplay and agency with a 'blank state' character like V in comparison to what they did back in the day with the Witcher, where the protagonist had already a well established role, personality and traits.

I would really like a game where choosing the protagonist sex has some real C&C throughout the story; the settings have to be something like medioeval times or a fictional society with rigid castes and were each sex had his strict role. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen, not in today society where everybody is offended so easily and where witch-hunts are returning in the form of social campaigns, cancel culture, shaming people for not conforming to the mainstream, etc...
Good comment (y)

It often feels to me like devs put a lot of thought into female V.

I feel like the story and Vs relationships fit better with female V. Especially with Jackie as that older brother figure.

could totally be a voice acting thing but it just seems to work better.

I play a male V and my wife plays a female V.

I am a woman, it's not a breaking news , but I wanted to make a man, play a male character, funny at first. unfortunately it didn't work with my state of mind. the man of my life told me; you are, maybe too feminine? Yes maybe.
the male character V, from my point of view; it is first of all the voice. the freedom to think; I don't like the English male V voice. nor in Russian, French or Japanese.
V is a woman, according to me. it's up to everyone to think what they want in this feeling of gameplay.

Street kid; White woman, Nomad; Black woman, Corpo; Japanese woman.

just throwing it out there. you do NOT have to be a female bodied V to have a female voice. just like you don't have to be a female V to have a vagina. the only difference is who you will be able to romance in the game.

It often feels to me like devs put a lot of thought into female V.

I feel like the story and Vs relationships fit better with female V. Especially with Jackie as that older brother figure.

could totally be a voice acting thing but it just seems to work better.

I play a male V and my wife plays a female V.

It's the voice acting. Like in most games, male voice is directed to act "tough" and it just comes across as wooden and phoned-in.

I'm male in RL and play V as a Female; V in cyberpunk will forever be Female for me.

The English female voice just flows better in my opinion over the male voice. Though both can have the same line, the male version can come across as snarky, rude and sometimes creepy, the female voice on the other hand can also be snarky but in a cute way - pitch, tone and delivery.

Man irl/man V, english voice, french subtitles.
Not that the french dubbing isn't well done (some says it's fantastic), but I like spoken english in movies and videogames if the setting isn't french speaking.

Exception : I played Assassin's Creed 2 in italian (and this was exceptional, in terms of immersion. I wish Assassin's Creed Odyssey was in greek).

I played as both. I don't care what the gender is of the character. My goal is to experience everything what the game has. Gender controls the romance options. I wanted to do all the romances. I don't have to identify with the character. I'm a straight guy. I still did the sex scenes with River and Kerry.

I played as both. I don't care what the gender is of the character. My goal is to experience everything what the game has. Gender controls the romance options. I wanted to do all the romances. I don't have to identify with the character. I'm a straight guy. I still did the sex scenes with River and Kerry.
Same. Actually, despite being a chick, I tend to play as dudes because ... why not? But in Cyberpunk I'm making chicks and dudes left and right.

Although I will say I do not like male V's voice. That doesn't mean I think the "default" V should be female, default V is whoever the player wants them to be. For me, it just means when I make male V's, I imagine they have a different voice to the one being used.

Don't see the problem, I am female too but play as male protagonist almost everywhere where I have a choice, I just feel male characters more lore friendly in most cases, like spartan male makes more sense to me than spartan female (AC Odyssey) etc.

I simply don't project my own personality on video game character, the game is just a story to tell, like book or movie, nothing is wrong with a fact the protagonist is not the same as you

You mean like in the 2018 48min trailer where V had a soul you could build, and a real connection to your input?. Yeh CDPR really fucked that up with what we actually got.

Most people are incapable of separating themselves from the character they play. They just can't disconnect themselves from the actions of the character. I've had this discussion many times over the years, trust me, most people simply cannot separate the two.

There's a reason why a basic human male is the most played character in almost every MMO.

In multiplayer games it could be a little difficult to roleplay the opposite gender if the choices a male played female char seem to be unfeminine or at the very least, if some kind of voice chat is added the female suddenly speaks bass XD

But in singleplayer games whe every female playerchar can be lesbian at playerchoice, there is no restriction imo. Same goes of course for females playing male chars.

In multiplayer games it could be a little difficult to roleplay the opposite gender if the choices a male played female char seem to be unfeminine or at the very least, if some kind of voice chat is added the female suddenly speaks bass XD

But in singleplayer games whe every female playerchar can be lesbian at playerchoice, there is no restriction imo. Same goes of course for females playing male chars.

In Baldur's Gate 3 early access, the devs even made a post about it (which people took completely wrong and completely missed the point) saying that the overwhelming majority of characters made were the most basic Human Male you could think of, something a premade character would be.

I would be willing to bet money that if CDPR tracked such things, they would arrive at the same results. White Male with a stubble and short dark brown hair.

Top Bottom