Is this game an rpg?

+
Hello, I had many discussions about it with many people and I wanted to know your opinion. I understand that the industry today tends more towards hybrids than pure genre games.
Personally, I consider that it has rpg characteristics but is more focused on an action / looter sandbox.

66% looter shooter, 33% rpg

RPG (Role Playing Game) really just breaks down to a few things. Can you play the role of a character archetype, but can you also make choices built around your archetype, and can you also design your own archetype? Statistics and even leveling up have almost 0 to do with actual roleplaying, but we simulate growth using these mechanics. Level in DnD was initially intended to simulate years of experience. In fact, in ADnD 2nd ed. whenever a character leveled up at the end of a dungeon or campaign, years would be rolled to simulate how long it took for characters to advance to the next level (s). Granted these were hardcore rules, but the point is video gaming simply took the idea and decided to tweak it to simulate learning, strengthening, and gaining power -- albeit at a much faster rate than the table top games of yore.

The actual roleplaying happens between people or between people and non player characters; moreover, if you have a well written story, believable world that has been crafted, lore to believe in, and a player with the gumption to play a conceived or pre-conceived role, you have a RPG.

In short, yes -- this game is a RPG, and it is one because more RPG elements exist than not, and it also has many that qualify it for table top gaming. If you play the role of V the assassin, the merc, the hacker, or even the cooperate spy... you are playing a RPG. If you run around not really giving a fig about any of the above, then you will most likely play a weirdly crafted action adventure game in the 1st person; and, you will probably bore yourself to tears lol.

The actual roleplaying happens between people or between people and non player characters; moreover, if you have a well written story, believable world that has been crafted, lore to believe in, and a player with the gumption to play a conceived or pre-conceived role, you have a RPG.
Well, then Super Mario Bros is an RPG as well... One swallow does not make a summer. ;)

I accept a game as rpg as long as it includes an inventory, changeable equipment, expereience levels with skill trees of some sort and dialoges.

RPG is a game that allows you to create different builds that deal differently with the objectives of a quest. That's it. That's how it has been all the way to the 80s tabletop dungeon crawlers. People tend to overcomplicate things and get philosophical. Also they tend to ask for things like choice and consequence in dialogues which did not really exist in many clasic RPGs.

its a big pot of soup with every popular bit they could find in hollywood movies poured in.

add a hollywood protagonist to it and you already are netflix compatible to cash off the movies license.

just the chef cook has no clue about his kitchen, his employee, his restaurant and his customers.

cyberpunk lore wasted =(

RPG is a game that allows you to create different builds that deal differently with the objectives of a quest. That's it. That's how it has been all the way to the 80s tabletop dungeon crawlers. People tend to overcomplicate things and get philosophical. Also they tend to ask for things like choice and consequence in dialogues which did not really exist in many clasic RPGs.
Erm, idk about this simplification.

The R in RPG is an important distinction between an rpg and the player growth mechanics in 2K or Madden. The story lines they added to later games are to some degree or another rpg modes, to what level of success is irrelevant. Wide receiver builds are different from linebacker builds, but Madden isn't an rpg. Diablo is not an RPG as there are no decisions to be made. You start, you go through the game linearly, advance in power linearly, and have no effect on the world around you. It has builds(a heck of a lot more than CP) but is very clearly an action game.

Cyberpunk is an rpg still in development. You can see where all the choices and city affecting decisions are supposed to be, they just aren't implemented. A few more romances, more endings that relate to other parts of the story, apartments and vehicle customization, mini games, more mechanics and immersion, and some end game/prologue where you can leverage all the assets you've collected via gig completion to accomplish some more wide ranging things: Peralez conclusion(free him and help him govern or control him, or something else), gang/corp rep/missions resulting in meaningful changes to the city... it could get there.

Last edited:
Cyberpunk 2077 WAS MEANT to be an RPG. As a player of the tabletop I can say this world does have EXTREME DEPTH, but unfortunately the game company that acquired the rights for it doesnt understand what an rpg is. These guys have screwed us ALL over with this game. They took this super in depth tabletop and turned it I to Battlefield 2077. 1st person is NOT more immersive, it actually RUINS immersion and makes u feel like ur playing a video game. Add to this the fact that this game is just fight, fight, fight, with no actual SUBSTANCE and u end up with this end result. They shouldnt have tried this they shouldve allowed Rockstar or Square Enix to have the rights to this game. In that case we would all be playing a MASTERPIECE I stead of a C level game.

Considering that CDPR do not consider it an RPG game on their social media, and the official CP77 website, then no, I would not say it is an RPG.

At best, its a poor mans Far Cry game :/

Diablo is not an RPG...... Seriously? The most genre defining ARPG of all time, is not actually an RPG? Several tabletop RPGs have a very linear progression of you surviving a dungeon. They are not RPGs>? Baldur's Gate is linear with 1 ending. Apparently the, literally most classic computer RPG is not an RPG?

Sorry but i firmly believe that historically my definition is pretty accurate, and people just put to much emphasis on terms like ROLE and get philosophical.

A pure action game can have 1 million choices to be made through dialogue that would alter the plot and 1000 different endings to go with it, but if you don't have the choice to create builds, and you play as eg. a soldier is not an RPG. You will deal with all the objectives of the story as a soldier and that;s that. A game that has zero choices on dialogues, has completely linear progression and one ending, but allows you to play through the content through different builds (or ROLES for that matter if you prefer), eg. a mage, a rogue, a tank, a warrior etc. which would change how you deal with the objectives of the story IS an RPG. Of course an RPG can have both aspects as well, and some do. Lot's of them don't.

Also they tend to ask for things like choice and consequence in dialogues which did not really exist in many clasic RPGs.

Classic RPGs of the 80s/early 90s were limited by the technology of the time. There was a revolution in the late 90s, that expanded the genre and brought it closer to its PnP counterparts. Modern RPGs are based off the generation of Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape Torment. Choices, and consequences to your choices, dialogue, are more important than build, statistics and inventory.
Post automatically merged:

Diablo is not an RPG...... Seriously? The most genre defining ARPG of all time, is not actually an RPG?

No, Diablo is not an RPG. It never was.

Classic RPGs of the 80s/early 90s were limited by the technology of the time. There was a revolution in the late 90s, that expanded the genre and brought it closer to its PnP counterparts. Modern RPGs are based off the generation of Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape Torment. Choices, and consequences to your choices, dialogue, are more important than build, statistics and inventory.

Once more, just in case anyone needs to hear it again.

Top Bottom