Thoughts about adding new love interests as DLC?

+
Was just talking about this with a couple friends and I'm curious to see what people think about adding more love interests into the game since I think the Witcher did the same thing (not sure on this as I haven't had a chance to play it yet).

I used to think that it wouldn't be possible because if they add more love interests, people who have already locked into romances can't swap if they want to and it may mess up people's saves, but then I realized that it wouldn't due to how romances work. You can romance all interests, but your choice won't be locked in until after the Point of No Return (who you call during decision-time locks in your love interest for the ending), which means that it's entirely possible for the devs to add in more love interests in vanilla and for players to still try and romance them.

With that being said, what kind of love interests would you want? Existing characters or introduce new ones? When I was talking with my friends, we talked about potential existing characters that may work as love interests that also won't uproot the entire story (sorry, Evelyn and Takemura fans, don't think these will be feasible).
  • One is Sandra Dorset, who not only matches V's apparent attraction to any 'rebel-types' as someone who fights against the big boys, but offers a netrunner / corpo perspective on it all. The only issue I see with this that you can end up killing her in her side job, which may cause some people to miss out. Though since you can let River die in his side quest, might still be possible?
  • Iris Tanner, that netrunner(?) who Dakota asks you to rescue in one side gig. She sorta matches the rebel-type since she refuses to work with fixers and rather set her own rates. Also she won't die no matter how you do the side job. She also tells V to hit her up sometime if they ever need help, but she doesn't show up in the Star ending missions. May be something more, even if she isn't a love interest?
  • Max Jones, the media that Regina asks you to save. Having him as an LI would offer a media perspective on all things, which would be interesting, though runs into a similar issue with Sandra as he may shoot himself if you don't choose the right dialogue choices. Also I don't know if he matches V's type all that much, though I guess he's rebelling against his mom mentor?
That's the only three I can think off the top of my head. I honestly think it may be better to introduce new questlines and new characters for love interests rather than transform existing NPCs into romanceables. Personally, so far the love interests sort of fill the RPG roles from the 2020 game: Solo/Nomad (Panam), Cop (River), Rockerboy (Kerry), Techie (Judy), and if you count these, Fixer (Rogue) and Netrunner (Alt). It would be interesting to add additional love interests for Media and Corpo. If I was given a choice, I would add two bi options, one male and one female, one Media and one Corpo. But that's just me.

The other method would be just to introduce new love interests during Xpacs instead of DLC, which then introduces a new issue of whether or not you want to break up with your current love interest if you haven't already.

Whaddya'll think? Is adding love even possible or wanted? I personally want a new gay option for female V (I may be the only person in the world who found themselves not being able really want to hook up with Judy, lol; not that I don't like her, just didn't really click for me romantically / not my type).

Last edited:
I don't have anything against offering people buyable DLC fuckbuddies in the game, buying them is anyones prerogative, but should it ever happen, I don't think it should be on the list of priorities when it comes to adding stuff to the game.

We have 4 romanceable (without Meredith Stout) characters whose relations with V are not over (at least Panam and Judy). Speaking of LI, it would be better to show existing LI’s in expansions, to make them deeper by adding some dialogue options and replies. LI’s are connected to V’s storyline.

So as long as current V story is continuing, existing LI’s are not over as well.

Last edited:
Hard nope from me.

I would rather have meaningful and interesting content like questlines.

If they introduce them as a part of an expansion - like extra on top, I would be ok with it but dlc solely centered around a new li would be a waste of resources.

We have 4 romanceable (without Meredith Stout) characters whose relations with V are not over (at least Panam and Judy). Speaking of LI, it would be better to show existing LI’s in expansions, to make them deeper by adding some dialogue options and replies. LI’s are connected to V’s storyline.

So as long as current V story is continuing, existing LI’s is not over as well.
Oh yeah, I definitely agree with this. One thing I discussed with my friends is how they should definitely expand on the existing love interests, something like giving us the ability to go on dates with them (you can approach them and say, 'Hey, let's hang out') and more dialogue trees. I was just tussling with the idea of adding romance options in vanilla since I realized it was possible.

I don't have anything against offering people buyable DLC fuckbuddies in the game, buying them is anyones prerogative, but should it ever happen, I don't think it should be on the list of priorities when it comes to adding stuff to the game.

For some reason in my young feeble mind, I would imagine the DLC was free, though now that you bring it up, buying additional LIs don't sound too appetizing. I do agree they have a lot more kinks to iron out than adding more love dolls for people to fawn over, was really just tossing some ideas up in the air and see what sticks.

Depends how it's all done.

If they brought in new ones ontop of whats available while there available then no, all content as is should be focused on expanding and developing what is available not diluting it further.

If they offered a different perspective to the story, IE what if V accepted Evelyn's offer and met her thus a new approach opens, and it basically makes the current options no longer available because your going a different path then sure

Depends how it's all done.

If they brought in new ones ontop of whats available while there available then no, all content as is should be focused on expanding and developing what is available not diluting it further.

If they offered a different perspective to the story, IE what if V accepted Evelyn's offer and met her thus a new approach opens, and it basically makes the current options no longer available because your going a different path then sure

I would rather have it that they implement it as new lore-riddled questlines that give you more insight into the certain roles and life in Night City. For example, a Corpo "LI" would take V back into the world of corporate espionage and give you more insight about how that all works or more insight to how Medias make money (like how River's offered a perspective on cops from a cop's PoV). So maybe the best way to implement it would be new questlines offering new perspectives and lore, but bonus! They're romanceable too. Wouldn't mind if the main characters of the quest were not romanceable tbh, more quests sound fun as a person who has exhausted them all.

Would rather have them expand all the Characters stories rather then just that of romanceable partners.

I would love more CSI: V. Also more Barry to help us fight the Technomancers of Alpha Centauri and the Nomad Wolfmen.

Wait! There is more to Meredith? I tought she was only a one night stand and not a romance character?

Last edited:
Would pick getting more options over fleshing out the existing ones (even though Kerry and River deserve it at least to be on par with the others). Only one LI per orientation is a bit restricting, the current four are well written characters but neither River nor Judy fit my V personality wise. Not a big deal anyway, I'm mostly looking forward to new story content.

I can understand OP's interest. Who doesn't like to romance?
And the subjects mentioned are possible good ones.

Personally it wouldn't be of interest for me with further romances. I stick to one at a time. In my case it's Judy, and that's perfect for me.

Personally I would like the existing LIs to have more options, romance Panam as a girl or River as a guy. Give them more to do after their questlines...like being able to sleep at their apartment (with proper animations).

Then you can add more romances...and alot more one night stands, why cant we romance or even just have a fling with Rita or Liz Peralez?

Agree completely, at this point improving the quality of the content for existing LI's seems more valuable than tacking on additional ones without deep content.

Would pick getting more options over fleshing out the existing ones (even though Kerry and River deserve it at least to be on par with the others). Only one LI per orientation is a bit restricting, the current four are well written characters but neither River nor Judy fit my V personality wise. Not a big deal anyway, I'm mostly looking forward to new story content.
I understand both sides of the coin, though if I were held at gunpoint and forced to pick one, would pick the existing ones getting fleshed out more, my man River needs at least 2 more steps in his questline, though ultimately more story content would trump it all. Though it would be sweet as to get another gay option for Female V because Judy just ain't my type, Panam is, though she won't do feminine body. Another idea is to open up all the options to bi, though I don't think the devs would do that. Feels more likely that they'll add options than switch orientations of existing LIs. Instead of adding it in DLC maybe it would be better to just tack it on any xpacs that come out as someone has mentioned here before.

I can understand OP's interest. Who doesn't like to romance?
And the subjects mentioned are possible good ones.

Personally it wouldn't be of interest for me with further romances. I stick to one at a time. In my case it's Judy, and that's perfect for me.
I'm just highly curious about the potential because it's there and just wanted to discuss what people thought of it. I'm not that married to the idea, just wanted to play with the idea. One thing I'm more curious about is that if you complete multiple endings in one playthrough, how do they decide which one carries over in future storylines? How do the romances carry over? Do they let you pick?

Think I'm just looking for excuses to keep talking about Cyberpunk to my friends in everyday conversation. Pretty sure they've had enough of me already which is why I took it to the forums here lol

Personally I would like the existing LIs to have more options, romance Panam as a girl or River as a guy. Give them more to do after their questlines...like being able to sleep at their apartment (with proper animations).

Then you can add more romances...and alot more one night stands, why cant we romance or even just have a fling with Rita or Liz Peralez?
In theory, you can romance Panam as a girl and River as a guy, you just have to have the other body type; so in very technical terms, those two options are "bi". Recently, I've been experimenting with a Female V with a masculine body type to romance Panam and it totally works.

They should have more F/M love in general they only have one guy that might love V(female) the other male is into males. they seem to cater to the male population of gamers or gays/lesbies, I have no problem if thats ur thing but it's just not mine. I read up on lovers u can get can get all the good looking females but no good looking men just two rough looking men. Where the hell is my hunky man! i want someone good to look at and has as much personality as any of those girls.

no, i think there is enough romance in the game
imho they should expand on the lore
add stories about maxtac, traumat team, militec, morgan blackhand etc

I'm almost sure they will add new LI for DLC, which won't be available in the main game, but in DLC only. Both Witcher's DLC did this way, at least

I agree with others on that I wouldn't be interested in a DLC focusing on just LIs being added with no real fleshing out within the base story or side stories related to it or anything more than superficial existing. However, they'd be great as an addition to a story expansion.

With that being said, I'd love to see Blue Moon (since you can flirt with her through text and be reciprocated) as an alternative to Kerry for a romanceable celebrity, and Bugbear!

Top Bottom