My take on why this game failed so hard, despite how good Witcher 3 was

+
I am not a developer, programmist, or anything like that.

But think about it logically. With the Witcher 3, CDPR had lots of experience. The Witcher 1 and 2 are games with lots of flaws (especially 2, with its clunky inventory, broken minimap etc.) but they provided them experience for the Witcher 3. They knew (more or less) what to do and what not to do, because all the Witcher games share the same setting: a medieval fantasy with lots of combat, intense story, and lore.

This is not the case with Cyberpunk 2077. The game is their first title set in a futuristic setting with guns, cars, skyscrapers. They even changed the camera perspective.

They simply didn't have enough experience with that kind of game, and they failed.
WRONG. They DO HAVE ENOUGH EXPERIENCE, it's just management not being realistic, having conflicting vision/goals and setting unrealistic time-frames. Had they chosen a solid path/vision game would have been solid and if they have further chosen to instead of using or updating their own "in-house engine" but decided to pay for unreal engine or cryengine things would have gotten off track faster... but nope

it still fails because you can't walk around everywhere, you can't enter 99% of the buildings or stores. in TW3 you could enter every single house.

No, because comparing W3 on the same grounds as CP77 isn't really fair to CP77, because the latter is scaled vertically. It presents a futuristic city scape which is completely different from the huts and open fields of W3.
It is better to compare Novigrad or the main hub of W3:B&W with CP77' NC, most houses/stores there also have locked doors.

Still, I can't deny NC's locked doors and non interactable stores are frustrating, it doesn't fail the game for me in this particular aspect of being an open world.

In my opinion it was not a game that was a success but marketing. They sold us a vision, an idea. We bought the game on faith alone that it will be a masterpiece considering that they created TW3. There were 8 milions of preorders ! If we would have waited like with Anthem, Mass Effect andromeda or other games to see how it really looks before buying do you thing the game would be a financiall success? Because the game as it is really mediocre. Horrendoes amount of bugs, not developed features like enemies AI, NPC AI, Police, Bronen Perks and tons of other stuff. Not playable on PS4, XBOX.If people would have that kind of picture do you think they would have bought it? What's more i think it is one time deal. The next game or DLC will be having much harder road ahead.

It took them two games to perfect the witcher formula, cp 2077 is their first ambitious project, also they did not have any experience with working on a game of that large scale with different setting and fpp, it was expected that the game might not satisfy people's desires, not to mention it's utterly bugged atm. Let's hope it'll be fixed later.

The game failed so hard in quality for only a single reason: we were that stupid to trust CDPR and pre-order the game.

No matter what they delivered, they got already 8mln copies sold, which is a shit ton of money both for profit and pay investors.

Now the game is out, one of the biggest disappointment in my gaming life, and the studio head can go around bragging about 9 and 10 on PC (from media who rushed the game and 1 month later confessed the score was that high because they were sure choices matter in the story (and clearly were wrong), check IGN video from last week) and that CP77 is the most pre-ordered game in history.

As aresult, they have a lot of money and we have a broken game.

Shouldn't we gave them our money in advance based on false advertisement and promises (for someone for Keanu and influencers too), right now they would be working hard on the game to deliver something that we would be happy to buy.

While I don't view the game as a "failure" I wouldn't call it great "success" either. It's something in between.

Important notice - the game is incredibly successful commercially. That doesn't turn it into great product. At the moment Gamestop stocks are very expensive - that doesn't mean Gamestop is a thriving company in the peak of their success...

That being said I think that most of the drama around CP2077 is due to failed expectations (myself including). For me I was surprised by the amount of GTA-ness of the game, while I was expecting to have actual good hacking mechanics for example (gameplay mechanics in games like Uplink or Hacknet to name a few). A lot of people were have the expectations that this will be a one of the greatest games ever released, and instead we received a good game plagued by bugs, unfinished environment or completely inadequately working systems (NCPD, I am looking at you).

With all that being said, the wording of "fail"/"success" is a quite boolean choice and I think the current state of the game, like many, or even most other products, lives in the grey area between those polar opposites.

Just because something sells a ton doesn't make it great.

Is CP a bad game? No. But my 2nd playthrough made it painfully obvious: Everything in this game is an illusion of choice. Nothing really matters. And imagine listing to their top honcho claiming " we did not see what your experiencing" after loading up the ps4 version. Clearly, the game was released in a broken state and they knew that. Its also not my fault as a consumer when they hype hype and then dont deliver basic things.

Again, i've enjoyed my time with it but I see the game as a whole, is a failure.

what's a pawn
Want to hire my pawn? :p
Post automatically merged:

I agree with most of the comments above and what needed to be said has been said.

The game is most definitely not perfect or an instant hit. But it has clearly not failed and has been a massive financial success which is backed by data and not internet feels: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...w-the-biggest-digital-game-launch-of-all-time

I personally love the game but I cannot say I am surprised it has divided opinions on everything from plot to game mechanics. But in the end CDPR put forward their creative vision. The way the gaming community accepts it will always be subjective. It is impossible to develop a game that pleases all audiences. If you try to please everyone, you will please noone.

I mean the sales haven't been the worst, but it's not like they aren't under a threat of a lawsuit, or that they haven't antagonized half the console players by releasing a game that doesn't hit 30 FPS on 720p on base consoles.

in TW3 you could enter every single house.

No, you couldn't, don't bullshit here. CP may be bad as a sandbox, but Witcher 3 is way worse in that regard. Dont get me wrong, i like that game a lot, but its too story driven for its own good and you cant do shit there aside from the quest content.

what the cyberpunk director decided was to bloat the game with repetitive content

Lots of people seem to confuse "Side quests" with "Side jobs", the actual side quests ARE unique and memorable, way more than most of the witcher ones. at least imo. Yes, side jobs are repetitive but im glad the map is filled with those. In the witcher, so many times i just wanted to take a break from the story and fuck some shit up, but i couldnt because theres very little to do in that regard. Now, when i wanna try out new weapon or mod, i have thousand opportunities to do so, and thats a good thing.

The game failed so hard in quality for only a single reason: we were that stupid to trust CDPR and pre-order the game.

No matter what they delivered, they got already 8mln copies sold, which is a shit ton of money both for profit and pay investors.

Now the game is out, one of the biggest disappointment in my gaming life, and the studio head can go around bragging about 9 and 10 on PC (from media who rushed the game and 1 month later confessed the score was that high because they were sure choices matter in the story (and clearly were wrong), check IGN video from last week) and that CP77 is the most pre-ordered game in history.

As aresult, they have a lot of money and we have a broken game.

Shouldn't we gave them our money in advance based on false advertisement and promises (for someone for Keanu and influencers too), right now they would be working hard on the game to deliver something that we would be happy to buy.

I'm not happy about certain things but, uh, I don't think the 9/10 and 10/10 remark was made to say everything is peachy. It was made to say some people out there were satisfied. It's not exactly a big deal to make this claim. Especially when grabbing for anything and everything to defend a product under siege. Even if I don't agree with the thought the game is exceptional, in any sense of the word, I can at least respect those views.

Of course... Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party got an 88 on metacritic by a critic. A Cyberpunk Bartender Action got an 8.4 based on 148 user reviews. Yes, I did in fact arbitrarily look that up and pull games I know nothing about out of a hat. No, it doesn't mean anything.

You're also completely right to say the game, regardless of this... siege, likely ended up successful. In the context of making money anyway. As much as it could of? Nope. Enough to be "successful", yeah.

There is a secondary part to that though. Success in this context isn't a one-off. It's more of a... continuum. It doesn't stop with one game release. There is short term and long term. Short term it's a success. Long term remains to be seen. This is probably their concern too. Put simply, they're worried about future product sales based on the reception of the existing product.

There is the incentive to improve the product. It probably doesn't apply on a global scale but, speaking for myself, it does on a local one. In spite of getting some enjoyment from the game nothing they put out down the road will get a look until it's been out for, I don't know, a year. Even then it will be met with skepticism. Not because of the marketing or hype but the end result.

Expanding on that.... I'm not interested in sloppy releases, rehashes of questionable implementations and things of this nature. At this point it appears like a pattern, to some degree, with a very tiny sample size. There is no way to "fix" it either. All they can do is try to make up for it. It's a steep mountain to climb.

Lots of people seem to confuse "Side quests" with "Side jobs", the actual side quests ARE unique and memorable, way more than most of the witcher ones. at least imo. Yes, side jobs are repetitive but im glad the map is filled with those. In the witcher, so many times i just wanted to take a break from the story and fuck some shit up, but i couldnt because theres very little to do in that regard. Now, when i wanna try out new weapon or mod, i have thousand opportunities to do so, and thats a good thing.

I mean, side quests and gigs are the same thing. They're just split and termed differently to pretend there is "more" and dilineate between effort and filler. The CP bandit camps (crime in progress, organized crime, sorta kinda cyberpsychos) are the overlords of all which is filler content. You are right to say CP did much more in this department though. There are many more opportunities to blindly fuck shit up as it lobs obscenities in your direction. I suppose this is a good thing if the light hits it just right.

3.) It was extremely ambitious, although, not in a way that I think most players recognize or appreciate. The sheer level of cinematic work that went into this was staggering.

Cinematically it's way beyond what we usually see. Say soldier in certain poses, we have been seeing that since time of sprites. We see those things in forms of Halo of Gears and so on, rendered with outstanding fidelity these days, though there's much where new software API's and graphics card do the work. And it's all right, because there's no need for certain architypes to do anything else.

Mocap work in this game is something else and it's required for this sort of game. And this breaks certain barrier. There's very little utility for certain things outside of gaming industry, but these guys at CDPR, this is something else and anybody can learn about how to do things from their work.

Writing is also something else. I read something Mike Pondsmith wrote in Reddit a while ago. How the tabletop game to be what it is. He wrote that he read a lot about social-political stuff, history, economics and that's always been the hard edge of cyberpunk literature too. For example, if you read Countdown to Dark future pieces, it's very clear that he has very good understanding between school of Kant and whatever the US is today, but I guess Sowell explains what it's supposed to be very well. And it's all there, in Cyberpunk 2077 too. A lot could be written about characters, game takes advantage of multidimensional character writing in many ways, to enable certain things for players.

There are writers who can write video game plots. Then there are writers whom video games happen to be their media at CDPR and Obsidian.

4.) During the busiest, craziest time of the development cycle, it was completed during the worst global pandemic in living memory. (That's going to have an effect.)

5.) It's not what many players were "expecting", but just listening to many of the harshest reviews and criticisms out there, I would need to argue that they are based on hearsay, misinterpretation, or outright assumption -- not objective understanding of what was actually announced or revealed. (In short, speculation and imaginings being treated as official announcements and verified confirmations.)

My layman's guess would be that number of bugs in game is due pandemic situation.

I didn't follow the hype, I haven't followed gaming media for years, but I don't think this game was never, ever supposed to be GTA: Cyber and I'm really glad it isn't.

I don't even know about the majority. There maybe tens of thousands of clicks on some rage video. Then at the same time there are hundreds of thousands people playing and it's easy to calculate from achievement data that millions of people have completed game.

There are number of factors. Some can be attributed to social media bubbles, people who play GTA only focusing parts that look like GTA. People who expected something like light adventure with cyberpunk aesthetics focusing only on cool, or "kitsch" like game puts it focusing only on that aspect. Then there are people making arguments like what I saw back in the day in Mass Effect forums, and I don't necessarily see these panning out realistically to anything in this product either.

Also a lot happening in the world that may put people on their toes, nothing to do with the game but forum is a forum.

Last edited:
No, you couldn't, don't bullshit here. CP may be bad as a sandbox, but Witcher 3 is way worse in that regard. Dont get me wrong, i like that game a lot, but its too story driven for its own good and you cant do shit there aside from the quest content.

um, yes you could? I remember you could enter houses in village and such. Almost every single entrance in Cyberpunk is locked.

So you live in a city that's rampant with crime, indifferent cops and organised well armed gangs roaming the place and controlling territory, and then seem surprised that people don't just leave all their windows and doors open so you can just walk right on in.:shrug:

So you live in a city that's rampant with crime, indifferent cops and organised well armed gangs roaming the place and controlling territory, and then seem surprised that people don't just leave all their windows and doors open so you can just walk right on in.:shrug:

Yes and no. I'm more or less going to split hairs with your comment, but I think I should even if I agree with your underlying statement.

However, ou can literally be a mastermind hacker/body builder with the ability to hack open just about anything, and what you can't hack, you can rip open with your bare hands, and what you can't rip open you can be equipped with a rocket launcher capable of pretty much bringing down anything short of a main battle tank.

Yet you can't open some poor working man's door?

I'm not happy about certain things but, uh, I don't think the 9/10 and 10/10 remark was made to say everything is peachy. It was made to say some people out there were satisfied. It's not exactly a big deal to make this claim. Especially when grabbing for anything and everything to defend a product under siege. Even if I don't agree with the thought the game is exceptional, in any sense of the word, I can at least respect those views.

Of course... Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party got an 88 on metacritic by a critic. A Cyberpunk Bartender Action got an 8.4 based on 148 user reviews. Yes, I did in fact arbitrarily look that up and pull games I know nothing about out of a hat. No, it doesn't mean anything.

You're also completely right to say the game, regardless of this... siege, likely ended up successful. In the context of making money anyway. As much as it could of? Nope. Enough to be "successful", yeah.

There is a secondary part to that though. Success in this context isn't a one-off. It's more of a... continuum. It doesn't stop with one game release. There is short term and long term. Short term it's a success. Long term remains to be seen. This is probably their concern too. Put simply, they're worried about future product sales based on the reception of the existing product.

There is the incentive to improve the product. It probably doesn't apply on a global scale but, speaking for myself, it does on a local one. In spite of getting some enjoyment from the game nothing they put out down the road will get a look until it's been out for, I don't know, a year. Even then it will be met with skepticism. Not because of the marketing or hype but the end result.

Expanding on that.... I'm not interested in sloppy releases, rehashes of questionable implementations and things of this nature. At this point it appears like a pattern, to some degree, with a very tiny sample size. There is no way to "fix" it either. All they can do is try to make up for it. It's a steep mountain to climb.

I mean, side quests and gigs are the same thing. They're just split and termed differently to pretend there is "more" and dilineate between effort and filler. The CP bandit camps (crime in progress, organized crime, sorta kinda cyberpsychos) are the overlords of all which is filler content. You are right to say CP did much more in this department though. There are many more opportunities to blindly fuck shit up as it lobs obscenities in your direction. I suppose this is a good thing if the light hits it just right.
I'm totally aware that the long term earnings are almost as important as the short term. But it's pretty obvious that CDPR did their math. They surely are not idiots. They knew the shitstorm was coming, nevertheless they released the game. Why? Probably because they had to pay too big fees to investors if they didn't pay their debts by the end of 2020.

Regarding the company's image to the broad public, they think they can counter that with the several small cut content DLCs we'll get in the near future, a couple of hypocritical excuses videos, free next gen upgrades, TIME (because our long term memory sucks) and few slogans like "we leave greed to others" at the right time just after some EA bullshit.
Then they can hire the next Reddit hero as main character for the Witcher 4 with Dr desrespect and ninja and the circus will be live again.

I mean, if we're still voting those hideous politicians after all these years of democracy, we'll definitely be fine with whatever shit gaming companies will throw to us.

P.S. regarding 9 and 10, I still think the studio head is just very cocky.

Its called opinion an i see you have yours

Yenn in skellige an Triss saving the mages an the son at the masked party, less time spent with both than even V spends with say Panam an both fully developed and already potentially in a relationship with Geralt.

Maybe i should've worded it better an said apart from Gwent CP has the exact same in boxing an races

V has nothing on Geralt?? Abit like story an subjective since i see plenty prefer V

As i said im glad i live in a world were wee can enjoy both

People like V (Female) because they can dress her up like barbie and post it on social media.”Sex” sales for all the... never mind.

You’re right, Geralt had 3 games but even in the first game he had character. Maybe you should play TW 1-2 to find out.

I’m a fan of CP as well but I don’t make excuses for a game that isn’t all there. I can talk about it both ways, Pros and Cons.

This is not the case with Cyberpunk 2077. The game is their first title set in a futuristic setting with guns, cars, skyscrapers. They even changed the camera perspective.

They simply didn't have enough experience with that kind of game, and they failed.
So decades of others game doing this. And don't tell me, none of the CDPR team never touched these games. Makes them absolved of failing to go past things done and improved since 2001? Granted not everyone at CDPR has experience in every game. But they've played them. They know what works from reviews and feedback on these games. And they had a 300 MILLION dollar budget. Can't hire consultants from R* on car mechanics?

If they where indie. Or this was 2005. There's merit with them not being able to replicate things. But even Violition. A very small company compared to R*. Was able to mimic GTA San Andreas in Saints Row.

Last edited:
People like V (Female) because they can dress her up like barbie and post it on social media.”Sex” sales for all the... never mind.

You’re right, Geralt had 3 games but even in the first game he had character. Maybe you should play TW 1-2 to find out.

I’m a fan of CP as well but I don’t make excuses for a game that isn’t all there. I can talk about it both ways, Pros and Cons.
Go read my post history and you'll see that i do aswell

Again your posting your opinion as fact when its far from it, theres plenty ppl dislike the witcher games for whatever reason one including the PC and there opinions are just that theres.

I seem to read alot of comments on these boards alone, since im not signed up on any god awful social media, that prefer female V because of the voice actress, i take it there all full of shit an just want to play barbie??

I played w1 an found it boring, thats opinion not fact, i again tried w2 and again found it boring, again opinion not fact, i then tried w3 with zero expectations and enjoyed what was offered but felt absolutely zero emotion apart from at 2 scenes, Kiera's death at Radovic an Geralt finally finding Ciri but thinking she dead, non the less i still thought the game was enjoyable.

Im not "blind" to the problems CP hs an i certainly dont ignore them i just dont bitch an moan, hold up every other game under the sun that was also buggy as hell at launch and demand everything i want to be done yesterday.

They fucked up, they acknowledged they fucked up, believe it or dont i dont care but i personally will wait an see what they do with the game an in the meantime enjoy whats there

Top Bottom