Wrong build, too bad apparently

+
So I decided to do the second boxing match at level 48.
Well even though hard is somewhat challenging it is a near impossibility in this mission.
because I didn't spec into strength I am basically locked out of this quest.
talk about terrible quest design.
I cannot think of single other quest this poorly implemented.
What is the point of making a quest that only caters to one type of build?
so that people who enjoy boxing have something slightly challenging to do? Would it make sense to have the best boxer in night city get 1 hit KOed?

Also, if its just the second guy, hes beatable. Boxing takes a bit of practice.

It comes down to quest design. There should be ways to approach these as a non strength-blunt melee build without turning down difficulty and saveskimming. Also this quest chain shows most clearly how broken damage calculation is. Melee goes through armor at all levels and all difficulty. Some pajeet coder didn't account for damage type and let melee slip through past all armor subdermal or otherwise and it breaks the game; all enemies die in 3 melee hits and these boxing bosses are undefeatable due to boss health pool on melee only (forcing you to stunlock them and beat them into submission via crits)

Imagine if this questline let you
>bribe the fighters
>compromise the fighters with quickhacks before/during the match
>kill them before the match to thin the roster
>blackmail them via subquest or threaten their family
to various consequence as to the world perception of your rise through the ranks. All of it being window dressing, but necessary for a true RPG.

Be honest, everyone here felt these fights to be fucking bullshit and tried to kill these guys out of combat.
>not hackable
>quest essential
Easiest alt ending, you complete the quest by murdering an opponent and are banned but [complete] the quest chain.

yea i realize you can stagger him when he charges at you, but i found it too unconsistent, it happened to me several times, that it didnt cancel the animation despite hiting him, frustrating as fuck, since one shot is all he needs. i believe it doable this way, i just dont have the patience to do it.

That's because once they initiate an attack sequence they're locked into it. As soon as you see the animation it's going to completion.

A good example in a different game would be player attacks in AC: Origins. Once the player starts an attack Bayek is locked into it until the animation completes. Well, for the most part. AC apparently loves long winded, flashy animations too. The enemies in the game can hit you during these animations. So the combat in AC: Origins can feel weird. You almost have to plan the attack but also account for the animation duration when doing so. Enemy positioning, attack reach and things of this nature must be accounted for in all of that. Otherwise you initiate an attack and get slapped in the middle of it.

I suspect the NPC's in the fist fights behave the same.

So basically what you're saying is you actually have to invest in being a 'fighter' in order to beat the best 'fighters'.
sounds like one of them actual rare RPG moments this game has.

Topics like these become funnier every time. On one end we complain about it not being an RPG (in that sense) but at the other end we want to beat everything regardless of what we build ourselves to be...

Yes, it would be more "RPG" if a player character with trash hand to hand ability would get smashed by the fist fighters. Alas, this isn't really the case. If the player is "good" enough, executes correctly and does it for long enough they can eventually win the fights. The build used doesn't change this at all.

I'd also point out none of the fighters you face appear to have any grasp of fighting properly either. Those big old windmill punches the NPC's toss around stand out like a sore thumb.

So I decided to do the second boxing match at level 48.
Well even though hard is somewhat challenging it is a near impossibility in this mission.
because I didn't spec into strength I am basically locked out of this quest.
talk about terrible quest design.
I cannot think of single other quest this poorly implemented.
What is the point of making a quest that only caters to one type of build?

Been there done that and got several blood stained T-Shirts after 500 hrs messing about lol. but now i figured it out, Reflex and cool are useless, Body-18+ Tech-18+ Intel 18+ and 7 in Reflex 4 in cool. just put points in cold blood x3 for the cold blood xp. this build will cake walk very hard mode.

Thats L44, you can trim and fit as you like with the spares and perks of your desire.

Last edited:
I finished the quest with Body 12, Reflexes 15 and Cool 16 on very hard. Take some of this proteins before the fight for almost infinite stamina.

Been there done that and got several blood stained T-Shirts after 500 hrs messing about lol. but now i figured it out, Reflex and cool are useless, Body-18+ Tech-18+ Intel 18+ and 7 in Reflex 4 in cool. just put points in cold blood x3 for the cold blood xp. this build will cake walk very hard mode.

Thats L44, you can trim and fit as you like with the spares and perks of your desire.
You can switch around Reflex and Cool, if you like. OR distribute them 6:5 or 5:6. It does give that little bit more freedom if you like to sneak around as a netrunner, allows you to sneak just that meter extra in plain sight to reach the next cover. And that 18 Body is really only necessary for 2 optional doors, and useful for the final boxing fight, as people have done it with noticably less.

I can understand the frustration about that there stays a quest unfinished if you lack the body ability and perks but on the other side, whats the point in a boxing match if every amateur could win this. Then i would expect every hacking skill check in the story not go beyond intellgence 3 please so even non net-runner can accomplish it.

These boss fights may well be among the more tedious in the game. I dont like bulletsponges(or punch-sponges in this case). They also always do sequence attacks that magically turn into you and even teleport towards you when you try to avoid them.

I beat them on lower level but the randomness of their hits makes it partially luckbased. Hit them a couple times and then avoid. Rinse and repeat for 10 minutes and hope you dont get hit by one of their unblockable sequence attacks. Double jump definitly helps to avoid taking hits as you just cant rely on blocking alone.

I think one of the reasons why they are tedious is because most other enemies in the game, if you have a good weapon, do not survive that long. And while I personally dont mind the challenge, the nonsensical unblockable sequence attacks really need to be taken out of these. I'd like to see this to be more player skill based.
Last but not least; These quests are the only boxing quests in the game, btw. Noone cares to create a specific boxing build so the already hard matches become even harder.

Ughh I really disliked these quests, even the first one, with the twins. I had no idea why its given so early on in the game.

Gorilla Arms definitely do work and make the lower fights much much easier. However the huge Elephant in this quest is the final. Such a poorly designed encounter. He does really strange movements and often bugs out and flys across the ring and 2 shots you. I spent a long time trying to beat him. In the end it wasn't even worth the effort. You get nothing at all for beating him, you get more for taking the fall.

I hope this was a part that was 'changed' at some point because it really sucks as a chain IMO.

Top Bottom