V is a gendered character

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, V has a personality and the dialogue and story choices does not provide much variety to that personality. Most dialogue options are just a few different variations of bad-ass merc.

That you as a player associate this personality with female gender-expression is a reflection of your own expectations and pre-conveived ideas about gender codes.

No, V has a personality and the dialogue and story choices does not provide much variety to that personality. Most dialogue options are just a few different variations of bad-ass merc.

That you as a player associate this personality with female gender-expression is a reflection of your own expectations and pre-conveived ideas about gender codes.
So you agree it is female gendered, but that is ok (for non white, non female players/roleplayers to wade through).

I'd have no problem with the game being a linear, female protagonist story. But it isn't supposed to be as per marketing and the RPG framing.

Well, they could have added slight behavioral diffences to all lifepaths that mirror said lifepath. Like you notice diffence between blue and white collar.

So this is what happens after two thousand years of religion and sex in the brain. threads like this.

What part of "no" was confusing to you?
The part where you admitted dialogue was gender coded, but ok because reasons.

Like I said, where in the ideal game it would cover the spread of representations. If they didn't want this complexity, make it female white V as a main character.

Play the game as a black man with the Female V voice lines spoken by a white male V and magically story structure entirely breaks down.

The part where you admitted dialogue was gender coded, but ok because reasons.

Like I said, where in the ideal game it would cover the spread of representations. If they didn't want this complexity, make it female white V as a main character.

Play the game as a black man with the Female V voice lines spoken by a white male V and magically story structure entirely breaks down.

No, I said the dialogue had a one-note personality.

Different people will associate that personality with different genders based on their past experiences, maybe I had a very different mother than yours...

I don't get what you're trying to say. What male/female preceptive? The dialogues were pretty neutral as in every other game that had gender options for the main character. Did you expect them to write two different characters so you don't feel that one is too "weak" or one is too "dude bro"?

This depends on the voice actors ability. The lines really don't have total control over this. Perfect example is Saints Row. The games features multiple actors for the genders. But the lines are all the same. The only thing different is the VA who's playing them. Hispanic, Black, White. Saints Row 4 has a french voice for the character. And she says the same lines. Just changing small things, like curses to french. The lines are all the same. But they all feel like different people. Because the actor is acting. Each one of them does different things.

I wonder if the majority of girls playing the game would agree with you.
Never played the female V, have no interest. Male V has it's flaws and fun/cool moments, though what I find funny might be annoying for other male players.

[...]

No, i do not see it. If you see the lines working better as a female V, that means that you have certain behaviors tied to that specific gender. V is v. Besides, even if you think that with our standards today V works better as a female (which i disagree), whose to say what mannerisms, behaviors, accents etc. would be associated with male or female, black or white etc. in an alternate universe, 60 years ahead?

I haven't played as a female V, so can't comment on the in game female mocap or voice acting implementation, or the aspect of that in a female vs male comparison. I've been quite satisfied with the delivery and tone of the male V voice actor so far.

[...]

It starts with that sex magazine on the bed. To my accounts, V climbs stairs and ladders like a male, sits like a male and smokes like a male. The way she communicates with others, the tone, the speed, it's that of a male. And she is always the one that initiates conversations. Bout the only thing that could be female is her way of walking. Running, maybe, but definitely not her way of sprinting.
True! That's why I didn't enjoy playing as female V at all, and her voice bothers me too, I prefer Evelyn or T-Bug voice much better. I hate to say this but most female protagonists in video games are like this, masculine and tough, while other female npcs sexy and alluring...

Playing both a female voiced and male voiced character, it becomes clear that the player arc as written comes from a female perspective and framing.

Assuming you're right, now what? What would it matter if you were correct?

In my opinion, both male and female V's were great and I had a lot of fun. So what would it matter if you were correct or not?

Just not sure what the point of this thread is. It doesn't feel like you came here to discuss because anytime someone has a counter argument, you shut it down 100% and don't leave anything on the table to say, "huh, I didn't think of that, interesting point".

Pointless thread. /closeplz

This depends on the voice actors ability. The lines really don't have total control over this. Perfect example is Saints Row. The games features multiple actors for the genders. But the lines are all the same. The only thing different is the VA who's playing them. Hispanic, Black, White. Saints Row 4 has a french voice for the character. And she says the same lines. Just changing small things, like curses to french. The lines are all the same. But they all feel like different people. Because the actor is acting. Each one of them does different things.
Because you can tell an agendered story
And you can have different dialogue dependent on character variables like race, sex, gender to pad out the world.

>they didn't do this

Where is hispanic male/female V
black male/female V
white male V
agendered transhumanist V with a robotic voice because he prefers this due to commoditizing everything in a cyberpunk dystopia?

This could be handled as part of a character matrix where user choice on a 4+ choice decision setting defined your character. Instead they went with a sub Fallout setup of
[next]
[question]
[question 2]
for most dialogue.

The forwarding dialogue is gendered as female V and most supporting dialogue is "quippy" in line with a female, white, corpo V.

It kills replayability more than anything. Unlike a fallout new vegas

you'll experience the entire game from the same perspective and check out. I say this as completing the game many times with many options to gender and race. It's female V and if you don't notice, it's because you haven't played female V.

Just not sure what the point of this thread is. It doesn't feel like you came here to discuss because anytime someone has a counter argument, you shut it down 100% and don't leave anything on the table to say, "huh, I didn't think of that, interesting point".

"why are you critical of a RPG sold as an immersive world having a linear story from one perspective that breaks it's immersion when you don't roleplay as a white girl and has atonal shifts across gameplay and action depending on which arc you're completing"
Are-you-kidding-me-meme-750x400.png

What I got from this thread is that an alarming number of people:
- find it weird for women to be assertive
- find it weird for women to be the ones that start conversations
- are surprised that a female mercenary that shoots people for a living doesn't sound sexy and "feminine" during the average conversation
- can't imagine a young male character sounding scared and vulnerable when faced with his imminent death
- think that there's a "male" way to sit and move for a person wearing pants and multiple weapons

How many different people did you meet :shrug:

What does gendered dialogue mean? To clarify, the notion certain genders can be thought of as behaving a certain way does not compute to me. Yes, I realize societies have (and still do) associate certain personality traits with given genders. This has never made sense to me. And no, I am not trying to start shit :). Please, nobody take offense to these statements.

It starts with that sex magazine on the bed. To my accounts, V climbs stairs and ladders like a male, sits like a male and smokes like a male. The way she communicates with others, the tone, the speed, it's that of a male. And she is always the one that initiates conversations. Bout the only thing that could be female is her way of walking. Running, maybe, but definitely not her way of sprinting.
I think this is the dumbest thing I read this week. You can't be serious. You are basically saying that in a dystopia set in 2077, a bad-ass female merc can't show masculine features. Do you really expect her to sit, talk, do everything like some Jig-Jig Street toy or something? And in what world do people of different genders climb stairs and ladders any different? I'm pretty sure there is only one right way to do that, both for females and males.

Fucking hell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom