Vehicle speed indicator in the game: broken! Or perhaps CDPR did this intentionally? Anyhow, bug or feature, but it's WRONG!

+
Ok, the matter is simple: whichever vehicle you drive, the speedometer lies to you. It shows much higher speed than you're actually going. In reality, we're currently going 2+ times slower than game says we do, assuming speed is displayed in MPH in the game. Which we should, seeing how Panam's ride has specifically "MPH" displayed on its speedometer, which is visible whenever we ride with her, on the right side of the car's interior.

The proof - is simple: in the following video, switch to 720p manually and go fullscreen, then pause at 0:28 mark in the video. Note how timer displayed in the video itself shows some 00:00:25.something at this moment. Then note how the 2nd car (in the middle) goes "188" (presumably mph, or at least kph) as displayed by the game, and very next second it'll be going 189 for the rest of the run. Then note how this car has exactly 1.0 km left to reach white waypoint directly ahead. Now, unpause the video and see how it spends 26 seconds to cover this 1 km distance:

And now, pause the video at 0:54 mark. Timer in the video will be 00:00:51:something. So, in terms of youtube video, you see the car spent 54 - 28 = ~26 seconds to go this 1 km distance. Similarly, the timer displayed in the video also confirms it: 51:something - 25.something = ~26 seconds.

What does it mean? Quite simply, it means the car is not going 189 mph, nor even 189 kph. In reality, it goes merely 3600 (seconds in an hour) / 26 (seconds for 1 kilometer) = ~138 kph!

I have similar results in my game with other vehicles as well. Please feel free to verify this, if you want, but i'm plenty sure this is how it is with all cars and bikes available.

I also checked if maybe distance displayed is bugged - i.e. indicated distance being smaller than it actually is. I found this is not so. To check this, i simply drove to some quest waypoint, parked my Rayburn ~15 meters away from it, then noted where the car stands and slowly moved backwars, directly away from the waypoint, for exactly 3 lengths of the car's body. Ended up ~30 meters away from it, which means it's nearly 5 meters distance as indicated by the game for 1 car body length for rayburn - which seems exactly proper. This proves distance indicated is not broken - rather, speedometer is.

Or is this not a bug? Is this intentional design feature CDPR made to have it "easier" for players to drive around?

This suggestion is somewhat _not_ supported by how fast different vehicles accelerate to "60" as indicated by the game, though. At 1:28 mark in the following video, we can see it takes merely 1.4 seconds for a Rayburn to get to 60, and 1.6 seconds for a GTS to do it:

Those are extremely unrealistic (too quick) values for a street legal car. For comparison, 1000+ hp Bugatti in real world does it in ~2.4 seconds.

Still, be it bug or feature, it's quite sad to realize that fastest we can go - which is some 212 "indicated speed" - is actually rather humiliatingly slow 212 / 189 x 138 = ~155 kilometers per hour. IRL even some 30-years-old VW Golf will easily go faster than that 1660 hp hupercar Rayburn pretends to be in the game.

P.S. If it's a "feature", then i guess we have one solid mod idea here: fix this shit and make the cars go 2+ times faster, while keeping indicated speed the same, so that indicated speed actually becomes real mph. It'd be 212 x 1.6 / 155 = 2.18 times faster, to have indicated speed to become real mph, to be more precise.

Yes, the game is full of "wizard of Oz" tricks.
So you think it's definitely a "feature" eh? Affraid it was, yeah...

Also, for anyone curious how _real_ ~200 mph would look in a game and in a "tight street" environment - i have me one old video where i do exactly that in the last straight before the finish line, and as anyone can see the difference is stunning to what we have in CP2077:

It is displayed in km/h, that's the only way it makes sense.
Nope, it's way slower than even km/h, please do read 1st post for details and proof of it. Also, when was it last time you've seen "hypercars" and "sportcars" going some 190...210 km/h being their top speed? So yeah. Sad panda.

If the speedo may be wrong, why should I then believe the distance covered is correct? As far as I know there no way to measure that.
A speed of 189 sound most likely like its a kph number, specifically if I look at speed related to city layout then kph numbers seem closest to what stand speedlimits are in EU. And if then the wrong translation is made to mph (whereby the number is smaller than kph when driving equal speed) then ofcourse the calculation goes off.

But in the end... Why would I care, it means nothing nor does it impact the game.

What does it mean? Quite simply, it means the car is not going 189 mph, nor even 189 kph. In reality, it goes merely 3600 (seconds in an hour) / 26 (seconds for 1 kilometer) = ~138 kph!
I was sooooooooooooo sure of it.

edit - 189 kph / 138 kph = 1.37
1m = 1.6km.

Since the calculation have been made roughly (the game show "1.0km", is it when it is 1.049km away ? 0.99km ? 1.099km ?) => it's possible that the "real" speed in the Red Engine is 118kph.
In that case, that would show the game calclulates speeds in kph, here 118, THEN actualize the speed in the tacometer by multiply it per 1.6 (118*1.6 = 188.8), instead of dividing it par 1.6 (this would be 73.75 mph).

edit 2 - With the 500m point @ speed "189". the car in the center pass it at 38.32s. Then it arrives @ 51.42. aka 500m in 13.1 seconds.
500m in 13.1s in constant speed means 1km in 26.2s. That means 137.4kph / 85.87mph.

edit3 - corrected speed conversions.
Post automatically merged:

P.S. If it's a "feature", then i guess we have one solid mod idea here: fix this shit and make the cars go 2+ times faster, while keeping indicated speed the same, so that indicated speed actually becomes real mph. It'd be 212 x 1.6 / 155 = 2.18 times faster, to have indicated speed to become real mph, to be more precise.
Not so solid. I guess speed ingame have Red Engine's streaming speed limitations.

Last edited:
Which explains why cars flip out of control without a driving mod cause the game calculates you going much faster than your eyes perceive you to be going. Yeah, they need to fix this or allow quicker streaming.

This actually correlates to my suspicions about the car chase scenes and why they're so damn slow. The last gen consoles probably couldn't stream in the city plus everything going on so they slowed the cars down to a crawl to compensate.

They really need to have separate builds for console vs PC.

If the speedo may be wrong, why should I then believe the distance covered is correct? As far as I know there no way to measure that.
A speed of 189 sound most likely like its a kph number, specifically if I look at speed related to city layout then kph numbers seem closest to what stand speedlimits are in EU. And if then the wrong translation is made to mph (whereby the number is smaller than kph when driving equal speed) then ofcourse the calculation goes off.

But in the end... Why would I care, it means nothing nor does it impact the game.
You should not "believe" distance is correct - instead, you should test / verify it is, indeed, correct. OR, you could simply read 1st post in entirety - it includes results of one such most simple test. Which confirms: distance displayed to a waypoint - is, indeed, correct.

Also, 189 is not kph number. Again, 1st post proves, without a doubt, that this number is way too high to be kph. Because the car actually moves at 138 kph - while having this "189" number displayed. Again, read the 1st post before replying, please?

As for why it matters - it's similarly simple: because it massively affects all the driving and chases the game offers to play. Gameplay becomes more boring / less challenging.

On top of this, those of us who actually know few bits about driving fast - are limited by this in terms of how fast we can go from A to B in-game, so this shit also literally steals bits of our time, here and there - which piles up to dozens minutes, if not hours (personally, i don't use fast travel at all, it breaks immersion) - per player. Now multiply this by say even modest ~10000 players who do similar play style, and you have dozens thousands hours of playtime WASTED by this "little feature".

Last but not least, some folks - myself included, - just don't enjoy being tricked in such ways. Rather, we find it disappointing and irritating, by and in itself.

Like i said in 1st post - it's shit. Which needs to be fixed. By mods, if need be.

I was sooooooooooooo sure of it.

edit - 189 kph / 138 kph = 1.37
1m = 1.6km.

Since the calculation have been made roughly (the game show "1.0km", is it when it is 1.049km away ? 0.99km ? 1.099km ?) => it's possible that the "real" speed in the Red Engine is 118kph.
In that case, that would show the game calclulates speeds in kph, here 118, THEN actualize the speed in the tacometer by multiply it per 1.6 (118*1.6 = 188.8), instead of dividing it par 1.6 (this would be 73.75 mph).

edit 2 - With the 500m point @ speed "189". the car in the center pass it at 38.32s. Then it arrives @ 51.42. aka 500m in 13.1 seconds.
500m in 13.1s in constant speed means 1km in 26.2s. That means 137.4kph / 85.87mph.

edit3 - corrected speed conversions.
Post automatically merged:

Not so solid. I guess speed ingame have Red Engine's streaming speed limitations.
It is NOT possible that it's 118 kph when going "189" displayed, no.

Proof: 118 kph means the car is going just a bit less than 2 km per minute (120 kph = exactly 2 km per minute, since it's 60 minutes in 1 hour). For simplicity, sufficient to round it indeed to 2 km per minute. Then:

1.099 m distance - would require 33 seconds to cover;
1.000 m distance - would require 30 seconds to cover;
901 m distance - would require 27 seconds to cover.

Neither is the case in the video matherial provided in the 1st post: it's clearly 26 seconds (not 27, not 30, not 33). Therefore, the car does NOT move at 118 kph, it does NOT move at 120 kph - it moves at least few kph faster than this.

Furthermore, in 1st video, one can see that next distance displayed after "1 km" - is "950 m" (as the case moves closer to waypoint). This is how we know it's nothing close to 118 kph - it's significantly higher. Even more, if one wishes and knows how (i do), it's possible to check that video per-frame. 138 kph figure is by my estimate plus-minus 3 kph precise. Nothing close to 118.

P.S. So yeah... Please stop throwing in bad math / assumptions. Serves nobody any good. Things like "1m = 1.6km." are just horrible. ;)

Last edited:
Ok, the matter is simple: whichever vehicle you drive, the speedometer lies to you. It shows much higher speed than you're actually going. In reality, we're currently going 2+ times slower than game says we do, assuming speed is displayed in MPH in the game. Which we should, seeing how Panam's ride has specifically "MPH" displayed on its speedometer, which is visible whenever we ride with her, on the right side of the car's interior.

The proof - is simple: in the following video, switch to 720p manually and go fullscreen, then pause at 0:28 mark in the video. Note how timer displayed in the video itself shows some 00:00:25.something at this moment. Then note how the 2nd car (in the middle) goes "188" (presumably mph, or at least kph) as displayed by the game, and very next second it'll be going 189 for the rest of the run. Then note how this car has exactly 1.0 km left to reach white waypoint directly ahead. Now, unpause the video and see how it spends 26 seconds to cover this 1 km distance:

And now, pause the video at 0:54 mark. Timer in the video will be 00:00:51:something. So, in terms of youtube video, you see the car spent 54 - 28 = ~26 seconds to go this 1 km distance. Similarly, the timer displayed in the video also confirms it: 51:something - 25.something = ~26 seconds.

I have similar results in my game with other vehicles as well. Please feel free to verify this, if you want, but i'm plenty sure this is how it is with all cars and bikes available.

I also checked if maybe distance displayed is bugged - i.e. indicated distance being smaller than it actually is. I found this is not so. To check this, i simply drove to some quest waypoint, parked my Rayburn ~15 meters away from it, then noted where the car stands and slowly moved backwars, directly away from the waypoint, for exactly 3 lengths of the car's body. Ended up ~30 meters away from it, which means it's nearly 5 meters distance as indicated by the game for 1 car body length for rayburn - which seems exactly proper. This proves distance indicated is not broken - rather, speedometer is.

Or is this not a bug? Is this intentional design feature CDPR made to have it "easier" for players to drive around?

This suggestion is somewhat _not_ supported by how fast different vehicles accelerate to "60" as indicated by the game, though. At 1:28 mark in the following video, we can see it takes merely 1.4 seconds for a Rayburn to get to 60, and 1.6 seconds for a GTS to do it:

Those are extremely unrealistic (too quick) values for a street legal car. For comparison, 1000+ hp Bugatti in real world does it in ~2.4 seconds.

Still, be it bug or feature, it's quite sad to realize that fastest we can go - which is some 212 "indicated speed" - is actually rather humiliatingly slow 212 / 189 x 138 = ~155 kilometers per hour. IRL even some 30-years-old VW Golf will easily go faster than that 1660 hp hupercar Rayburn pretends to be in the game.

Screenshot (26)_(1).png

These value I got from testing on the same 1.8km track. Average kph values are lower than expected.

View attachment 11165372

These value I got from testing on the same 1.8km track. Average kph values are lower than expected.
It seems you did not use engine revving at the start during your tests. Which i recon you should. To do it, just hold hand brake button down, then hold down accelerate button - which revs up your engine while still not going anywhere - and then release hand brake once you hear your engine revved up completely. All your times will change, then, especially 0-60 times - should be nearly same as in 2nd video of 1st post in this topic (which are listed at ~1:30 mark of said video).

Thank you much for testing it, nonetheless. Confirms the issue overall, i recon.

Last edited:
Things like "1m = 1.6km." are just horrible.
1 mile = 1.6km

I'm sorry to not know the "mi" of imperial units for miles, not need to be that agressive though. Could you be calm about the also incorrect use of "mph" instead of miph or mi/h, or kph instead of km/h ? It's not my fault if imperial units users uses kph or mph or invent new unit abreviations depending on the direction of the wind.

118 km/h is 1km in 30.58s.
118 km/h is 858m in 26.2s, so yeah, it can't be a bad km to mile or km/h to mi/h conversion (or at least, not alone).

Last edited:
1 mile = 1.6km

I'm sorry to not know the "mi" of imperial units for miles, not need to be that agressive though. Could you be calm about the also incorrect use of "mph" instead of miph or mi/h, or kph instead of km/h ? It's not my fault if imperial units users uses kph or mph or invent new unit abreviations depending on the direction of the wind.

118 km/h is 1km in 30.58s.
118 km/h is 858m in 26.2s, so yeah, it can't be a bad km to mile or km/h to mi/h conversion (or at least, not alone).
Yep, "1m" - is not "1 mile". It's 1 meter. Which is why everyone literate uses "1 mi" for "1 mile". Honestly, when i've read that line, it was "1 meter" for me, full auto mode. Did not even suspect you "meant" 1 mile; was sure you wrote "1 meter". It's like, heck, so basic things - so you see, lots of misunderstanding possible when misusing 'em.

speed is displayed in km/h, the top speed is capped artifically. the same as cars in real world have 155mph limiter.

Guest 4531988

Pretty much all games do this, they can't handle the speed. GTA ONLINE GTA 5 etc.

Pretty much all games do this, they can't handle the speed. GTA ONLINE GTA 5 etc.
Hardware can handle it, even for decades - see the video in 3rd post of this topic. It's not that "they" - developers of titles - are anyhow limited by hardware in any way which makes it impossible to have fair / realistic speed. It's a _choice_ they make (unless, of course, it's not intended - i.e. a bug which is to be fixed, which i doubt it is).

If i'd be asked to speculate why this choice was made - then i'd say it's most likely CDPR decided that "average Joe" is too weak a player to handle real speed those cars are supposed to be able to do, given in-game street / road geometry and city traffic. "Gives some more FPS with everything else equal" is only secondary reason, i think.

And if so - i couldn't disagree more with such a reasoning. You don't make truly brilliant game by artificially warping game world to remove reasonably challenging bits - this ultimately leads to boredom. Instead, you make one truly brilliant game by adding ways to avoid being challenged for as long as player wishes to not be challenged, while in the same time always offering to take the challenge whenever the player wishes to try.

And in this particular matter, "realistically fast cars would be way too hard to drive around for most players" - is indeed one such challenge: instead of removing it, simply adding merely one extra control to the driving part of the game would completely solve it, without removing the possibility to "take the challenge" whenever one wishes to try.

I made corresponding suggestion which folks quite like, of course - here: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...ng-combined-with-wasd.11079272/#post-12862718 .

Sadly, it's probably way too late for CDPR to fix this. One bad design choice made too early and affecting too much for them to change it now. A mistake which will haunt the game for years to come, subtly but continously affecting lots of players, especially as they get better and better driving 'em vehicles.

Top Bottom