Game longevity - much shorter than expected!

+
First playthrough - normal difficulty, done all side quests and NCPD search and destroy missions.

2nd playthrough - very hard game difficulty, rushed to the secret ending after missing it during first playthrough.
Didn't really feel like doing any of the side missions again.

3rd playthrough - didn't start "The Heist" yet and it's already feels forced.
Finding less and less motivation to play.

Honestly I expected more from CDPR.
After playing The Witcher 1, 2 and 3 for so long I was hoping to play Cyberpunk for a long time but it gets old fast.
Playing the Witcher 2 and 3 on hardest difficulty was challenging, there was a reason to find builds that work.
In Cyberpunk very hard game difficulty with max level gear any build works (melee / sniper / guns / net runner).
Because nothing is hard, there is no motivation to try different play styles or get better gear.

They claim the community asked for a shorter main story, but I really enjoyed the depth of The Witcher 3 and finished it 4 times (twice with all expansions).

Sure some players are looking for games that lasts under 100 hours game time but I was hoping for a virtual game world to spend significantly more time in.

First playthrough - normal difficulty, done all side quests and NCPD search and destroy missions.

2nd playthrough - very hard game difficulty, rushed to the secret ending after missing it during first playthrough.

After playing The Witcher 1, 2 and 3 for so long I was hoping to play Cyberpunk for a long time but it gets old fast.
Playing the Witcher 2 and 3 on hardest difficulty was challenging, there was a reason to find builds that work.
In Cyberpunk very hard game difficulty with max level gear any build works (melee / sniper / guns / net runner).
Because nothing is hard, there is no motivation to try different play styles or get better gear.

They claim the community asked for a shorter main story, but I really enjoyed the depth of The Witcher 3 and finished it 4 times (twice with all expansions).

Sure some players are looking for games that lasts under 100 hours game time but I was hoping for a virtual game world to spend significantly more time in.

1st playthrough-Street Kid, Normal difficulty, mainstory and side quests: 45 hours

2nd playthrough: 2 hours and I'm done, I decided to pick the corpo background, got a 15 min introduction before...Jackie-scavengers and shit again. Patched 1.11 and still got lousy bugs. I'm done. I got scammed, I'm to blame, I bought it day one like a CDRP fanboy. They will never trick me again.

I'm currently in the middle of finishing of my second run, with female V. While i've had a lot of fun i am getting to that point where the poor endings are on the horizon i'm just battling onwards. With that and shorter story and more linear nature, all adds up to me that a good post game expansion i can't see myself playing wanting to go through it all again.
I would love to be able to play this game the amount of times i did the witcher series. (right now i'm thinking of going back and replaying witcher series but forcing myself to get to the finishing line)

Myajha

Forum regular
The only reason I picked up this game for a third play through was to play with some of the new mods that are coming out. Unfortunately due to the fact that CDPR has only put out very limited modding tools, most of the mods are simply window dressing, and bugs fixes with very little impact on game play longevity. Which I kind of expected.

So now I'm getting bored of it all. By the time the DLC comes out I'm not even going to be following this game anymore probably.

The only reason I picked up this game for a third play through was to play with some of the new mods that are coming out. Unfortunately due to the fact that CDPR has only put out very limited modding tools, most of the mods are simply window dressing, and bugs fixes with very little impact on game play longevity. Which I kind of expected.

So now I'm getting bored of it all. By the time the DLC comes out I'm not even going to be following this game anymore probably.

Not even two month since release and less since they released the extended modding tools and you expect Sim Settlement for Cyberpunk?

Even modders are no gods.

Skyrim lasted much longer than Cyberpunk before major mods were created.
Mods made Skyrim last a very long time though, the community kept adding more content and kept the game fun.
Hope this becomes possible for Cyberpunk.

I hope and I think that CDPR is in for CP for the long run as this could be such a goldmine for them, if they don't screw it up :D

But as I see it, if they want that, they have to make a transition towards more of an open world/life simulator experience or what to call it, rather than just more linear content. A good mixture between these, like expansions adding new quest lines like we saw it in the TW3, but at the same time constantly expand on the possibilities of the game world itself, doesn't have to be deep crazy story lines, but simply all kinds of random stuff that people can have fun with. Make better random missions, shops, bars etc. Obviously open it up for modders as well. If they do this, this game will be able to last for a very long time.

And if they are very clever and they decide to make a second one, they make it so the game worlds are connected , so you can travel from one to the other, while not having to make a completely new character, that would be very cool I think.

Guest 3847602

For me at least, it's got plenty of longevity, it just stem from having many playthroughs instead of few that would last for 1000 and more hours. Not unlike TW1, 2 and 3.
I'm not opposed to CDPR adding some of this life simulation stuff, even though I don't care about it at all (couldn't stand to play Skyrim for more than 25 hours, 10 of which were me trying to determine which weather mod I like the most), but I'd prefer for them to give priority to story dlc/expansions after they're done with bugs and fixing AI.

For me at least, it's got plenty of longevity, it just stem from having many playthroughs instead of few that would last for 1000 and more hours. Not unlike TW1, 2 and 3.
How can you have a single playthrough in Cyberpunk last 1000 hours?
After all missions are done there is nothing left to do in the game.
No random encounters, no new dialogue options with NPCs.
No way to replay completed missions without starting a new game.
No new game+ feature with harder difficulty or higher level cap.

Also because all encounters are scripted and player choices have very limited impact, replay value is low.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

How can you have a single playthrough in Cyberpunk last 1000 hours?
You misunderstood me - my idea of longevity is for me to have many playthroughs, 50-100 hours each, instead of few monstrously long. ;)
Also because all encounters are scripted and player choices have very limited impact, replay value is low.
Well, in case of Cyberpunk, I'll get my replay value through interesting story and great characters I like to revisit. Just like I did with TW3. Also, trying different builds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I entirely agree, and as others have said, I keep it just in case an exciting update happens! That being said I don't think they should rush/crunch anything anymore. Love for the devs, [...].

Last edited by a moderator:

Didn't get the memo? CDPR is one of the big boys now.They set out to prove something and they certainly did; They make movie games just as good as any West Coast studio.

What I do not get is why not respawn random enemies in the old quest areas that we cleaned out? This would make the world seem less empty at the end of the game and give more to do than chase the street crimes.

One of the reasons I could play Skyrim for 10 years, that fort quest I completed and closed out 3 years ago I find myself stumbling into again and there are all new enemies and treasures in there now.

I know they said it would be HAND PLACED quests but AFTER that they should have used a few procedural lines of code...

What I do not get is why not respawn random enemies in the old quest areas that we cleaned out? This would make the world seem less empty at the end of the game and give more to do than chase the street crimes.
People take back at least some areas occupied from gangs after you remove gang presence. At least 6th Street but I think I saw it happen elsewhere too.

One month of intense playing and that was it, so i agree.

Still i keep in installed because i still believe in miracles.

Two months of first playthrough. Learned a lot by the middle of the game. I did get a little frustrated by the end. I realised the limitations of the game were spoiling my enjoyment somewhat, but i soldiered on. Finished it 200 hours later. Now applying some of that know how to my 2nd playthrough on hard mode. Lot more fun and I dont feel quite so noob. Different path too. I feel more in control this time round. Im also noticing different choices (some minor), that i missed before on my first play.

I am disappointed on how much wasted space in the game there is, i pray the next patch, fixes some of the issues we been all suffering. I do want a dlc!

Last edited:
I honestly believe they used Witcher 3 as an excuse to make a really short game.

It was specifically lead quest designer Patrick K. Mills who said that in an interview.

He also said (25:54):

He also claims he worked on Alpha Protocol on his twitter profile? Which was as much of a mess as this game, now that I think about it. I bet I'd be able to draw some lines if I subjected myself to suffering and replayed that game.

I don't really buy the 'community' asked for the shorter story.

I think they looked at the metadata on trophy achievements and found a lot of players bailed on the witcher 3 before finishing it. However, that's not really an accurate reflection of gamers finding a game 'too long'. Lots of casuals will play a game because its got a buzz they've heard about, then bail out because its not they're thing anyway.

I see it all the time with twitch streamers, they'll do a few streams with a game that's got some buzz, to get subs then they'll never finish the game.

I don't really buy the 'community' asked for the shorter story.

I think they looked at the metadata on trophy achievements and found a lot of players bailed on the witcher 3 before finishing it. However, that's not really an accurate reflection of gamers finding a game 'too long'. Lots of casuals will play a game because its got a buzz they've heard about, then bail out because its not they're thing anyway.

I see it all the time with twitch streamers, they'll do a few streams with a game that's got some buzz, to get subs then they'll never finish the game.

I don't think they looked at anything. They just lied. They had to get the game rushed out so they made up some BS story. They had built up a lot of good reputation and they cashed in. Throwing away all their reputation for a quick buck. I hope it was worth it CDPR. I considered you one of the best, now I don't consider you at all. I'm not buying any DLCs for this game or any new games at all from CDPR again. Quite frankly I don't think they are capable of making good games anymore. Any company lying as much as CDPR deserves to disappear.

Top Bottom