Poll: do we want to have the ability to reset (respec) stats? Let's find out what our consensus is!

+

Do we want to have the ability to reset (respec) V's stats?

• Total voters
Everyone, please vote.

Note 1: (at least some of) existing concerns about exploiting such a feature or "breaking things" when using it - are actually very solvable by some very, very simple ways. Some details about it: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...e-the-level-cap.11077136/page-3#post-12835310 .

Note 2: as of now, ways to do it via mods already exist (yes, even more than one mod that allows to do it; and some of 'em are quite risky to use from the looks of it). It thus makes perfect sense for CDPR to actually develop and implement this feature into the game officially ASAP - at least that way bugs and unintended consequences will be minimized.

I think it's pretty pointless really to reset your perks if you can't also reset your attributes as well. On my first playthrough I had everything all wrong as I was just learning the mechanics of the game and didn't finish and started a new character. My second playthrough I reached level 50 and didn't realize that once at that level that anymore perk points that you still need your shit outta luck because that's the max level. Now I'm playing like I want, reached level 50 but at least I'm where I want to be on attributes and perks.

Well in the current state the Game needs to be rebalanced first.
Further down the Road whenn DLCs hit the Market at the End of the Year it may come in Handy.
I'm undecided if this needs to be done.

No, as a player you should realise yourself who you are in creation, otherwise you are just playing the cookie cutter game/fotm. where is the fun rp in that.
Understandable, but also not entirely valid, objection. Here's why.

During the course of the game, RPing certain kind of character reveals various situations which modify player's understanding of what the character would want and need to become. There is no way whatsoever to know such situations in advance (during character creation), for some cases - even mid-game. It's completely proper RP for V to react to such situations by developing different, new abilities to counter such situations effectively.

Simple example. Say V starts as a "pure netrunner". Intends to hack everything through, and to always remain undetected. Focuses on Int, Cool, and Tech (for engineering). Goes smooth early and mid-game. But later on, more and more situations where hacking things is not possible and/or not desirable - start to happen. In-RP, proper response would then be to develop secondary kind of combat ability. Per intended stealthy nature, silenced pistol / revolver would then be appropriate. However, handguns skill is limited by Reflexes stat - which is neither of the 3 initially developed. Less Engineering / Tech (as late-game, plenty Hacking options much substitude for Engineering applications in field) and more Handguns / Reflexes would then be proper - if only stat reset would be possible.

But later on, more and more situations where hacking things is not possible and/or not desirable - start to happen.

Have you actually encountered such problem in the game?

I was playing as a netrunner. And it was a walk in in the park.

Have you actually encountered such problem in the game?
I have indeed. And multiple times.

1st, NCPD can't be hacked in principle, and sooner or later there will be situations where V needs to fight some NCPD (even if entirely law-abiding kind of V - there are some side quests with corrupt NCPD members).

2nd, in some late-game occasions, enemy netrunner notices V as soon as V hacks anything, and this leads to certain subtle (but possibly important, in-RP and otherwise) undesirable consequences. Good, and certainly not the only, example - is the big main-story GIM mission against animals. Which, among other things, includes direct request from the "client" to stop using any hacks and such, at some point.

3rd, quite a few side quests require V to shoot things, not hack them. Shooting contests on 6th street and in V's own megabuilding, blowing up enemy cars and bikes during chase scenes, specific enemies immune to all damage-dealing and to all ultimate quickhacks, etc.

All that, again, player has no idea about at the start of the game (and possibly till quite late in the game, in terms of level / stats spent, too - depending on how much NCPD / open world content is done early on).

Furthermore, the above - is just one of several similarly legit "transitions", too. I can clearly see how "pure solo" would eventually realize the need in some extra Tech / Int, even if that lowers somewhat some of his "primary" stats; i can clearly see how "pure Body / Reflexes melee" build would likely want to respec himself significantly to add solid amount of stealth, lots of side missions being what they are; etc.

No. And I even dislike the ability respec perks.

I realize that in this game it doesn't really matter one way or another what kind of characterbuild you have and so throwing stats and perks all around at will doesn't really make much difference. And saying that I should probably be ambivalent about the whole thing.

But it's a sort of principle that the game makes the player commit to the way he plays the game. All the newage respecing shit just trivializes the whole point of character creation and progression. You could just given everything to the player from the very start and say: "Do what you will. Use them or don't."

It's bad design that ruins one of the core parts of the game.

The game doesn't need to be servile to the players' every whim and whimper. It should have the balls to say "No, that doesn't happen. Go with what you have." every once in a while.

Resetting is nice but in game it's pretty expensive. Like 100,000 Eddie's right? Bruh. I can buy legendary gorilla arms with that money. Do I think V should have this? Sure! Just because I don't wanna waste money on it doesn't mean others shouldn't be allowed to use it if they do wish.

In my second build i went in mostly already knowing what build i wanted. I got a level 23 brawler/hacker. When hes level 50 his stats will be level 20 in body, intelligence, and technical ability. 7 in reflexes and 4 in cool. Cool isn't all that useful since I use quickhacks for all stealth. I'm only leveling up reflexes cause extra points. Being slightly faster will be a little helpful.

My primary weapons are my gorilla hands, but I also have a smart shotgun, and a tech shotgun for those smart immune tygers.

1st, NCPD can't be hacked in principle, and sooner or later there will be situations where V needs to fight some NCPD (even if entirely law-abiding kind of V - there are some side quests with corrupt NCPD members).

Hmm... As far as I know, in the entire game there's not a single situation where you have to fight NCPD.

2nd, in some late-game occasions, enemy netrunner notices V as soon as V hacks anything, and this leads to certain subtle (but possibly important, in-RP and otherwise) undesirable consequences.

As a netrunner you have the ability to deal with such enemies (e.g. "I Spy" perk, taking out cameras through "Breach Protocol", "Cyberware Malfunction" quickhack etc.). Why would you want to switch the builds then?

Good, and certainly not the only, example - is the big main-story GIM mission against animals. Which, among other things, includes direct request from the "client" to stop using any hacks and such, at some point.

Could you elaborate? Why is this mission harder to beat as a hacker?

3rd, quite a few side quests require V to shoot things, not hack them. Shooting contests on 6th street and in V's own megabuilding

You do not need any special perks (or ability points) to finish these quests. Just your (player's) skills.

blowing up enemy cars and bikes during chase scenes

There are no interactive chases. It's all scripted and you do not need to shoot at all. Therefore you do not need any perks or abilities during these cutscenes.

specific enemies immune to all damage-dealing and to all ultimate quickhacks, etc.

What enemies (beside law enforcement troops)?

1st, NCPD can't be hacked in principle
I still think this is bad game design. Imagine if you couldn't shoot officers. Because reasons. They should have the highest security. But at some point, you get better gear. Because than why doesn't V ask Regina for that same magic anti hack. Why isn't this anti hack installed in all rich Corpo's? Why isn't it installed in buildings? Maelstrom would be ripping cop bodies apart daily. I can steal their cars like nothing. Immersion breaking.

I see no reason why not. Most of your attributes are effected by skilss and vice versa. A ripper should be able to do a body reset / clean slate that resets all your attributes and removes all implants. Once finished you have to reset everything. I would even be ok with there being a penalty and moderately expensive cost. Say $150K Credits and a 5 point reduction in level.

right now though the perk respec is a good option, especially when you find out on youtube 95% of them don't work, ok not 95% but a serious chunk of them.

There Are Still 35 Perks That Do NOT Work In Cyberpunk 2077 | Watch Before You Build Your Character - YouTube :(

I agree with the perk respec since some of them even if they work are useless or poorly explained (though I usually save up my perk points and just add them in when the game becomes unbearable).

But the way I see ability points is character growth, it doesn't make sense to me to just be able to pump points into body and then take them out to put them into tech as the situation arises.

Essentially every character becomes the same and every skill check redundant so what's the point of even having an ability system if anyone can just put points into anything and virtually min-maxing all the builds at the same time.

Frivolous.

I agree with the perk respec since some of them even if they work are useless or poorly explained (though I usually save up my perk points and just add them in when the game becomes unbearable).

But the way I see ability points is character growth, it doesn't make sense to me to just be able to pump points into body and then take them out to put them into tech as the situation arises.

Essentially every character becomes the same and every skill check redundant so what's the point of even having an ability system if anyone can just put points into anything and virtually min-maxing all the builds at the same time.

Frivolous.
Yup it feels like a redundant system honestly. the 2018 system looked and felt alot better.

Hmm... As far as I know, in the entire game there's not a single situation where you have to fight NCPD.
https://cyberpunk2077.wiki.fextralife.com/Fortunate+Son , step 4: "defeat the police".

https://cyberpunk2077.wiki.fextralife.com/Only+Pain : defeating corrupt police officers is required to proceed with the quest (otherwise, corpo is killed by them)

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Anna_Hamill : an NCPD officer which is "must kill" for any in-RP "cold blooded killer" V, plus most dialog choices lead to the fight with her

And the list goes on, those are just ones i can remember now.

As a netrunner you have the ability to deal with such enemies (e.g. "I Spy" perk, taking out cameras through "Breach Protocol", "Cyberware Malfunction" quickhack etc.). Why would you want to switch the builds then?
Breaching anything (inside the building), including via auto-upload from legendary passives, will result in V being detected in the mission i mentioned (and likely in few others). Breaching / hacking outside (few guards outta GIM) does not, but as soon as V enters, any kind of altering anything via netrunning means - will result in instant scripted intrusion from the enemy runner into V's systems, triggering optical effects plus corresponding message and extra forced ICE upload into V's system from Vodoo boys. Which can, in fact, be entirely avoided (by never using any active electronic effects from V fighting ~2 dozens animals inside GIM, including one rather fancy boss girl). Cyberware Malfunction is not an option as the enemy runner is nowhere to be seen (said to be in the van, insides of which can't be seen, and pinging results in V being detected, again). I Spy perk is of no use at all, as the enemy runner in that mission never tries to hack V other than via very scripted, non-avoidable effects during V's interaction with that van's systems.

You clearly have not a slightest idea about it all. Seriously.

You do not need any special perks (or ability points) to finish these quests. Just your (player's) skills.
In this case, you also do not need any special perks, or ability points, to have "fun rp" - per above term which started this talk here. Indeed, it is very possible to finish whole game having "fun RP" without investing a single stat and even perk point. Thus, it must not matter at all whether stat respec is possible, or not. Case closed, further exchange pointless: this has just proven with your own here logic that initial point (about "fun rp") - is entirely incorrect.

Last edited:
And the list goes on, those are just ones i can remember now.

You are right about the missions that involve NCPD. Only one of them requires the player to fight the police (Fortunate Son), that's why I completely forgot about it.

As for the ways to fight enemy netrunner... I was talking in general, not about this specific mission.

Case closed, further exchange pointless

Well, one might say the same about the opposite "logic". If we need to switch builds (reset stats) every time the mission requires shooting, not hacking (e.g. during shooting contests), although it is possible to do the job with our present set of skills (perks etc.), why not give the player the possibility to unlock all abilities at the same time (and perhaps from the beginning)? Every thought can be presented as argumentum ad absurdum. And one more thing: if the player feels the need to reset stats after investing many hours into the game, it might be the sign of a bad game design.

I was just arguing that you can easily finish all missions as a netrunner. IMHO the game is quite easy once you invest some points in any of all possible builds.

BTW, what perks would make shooting contests easier (beside the ones that do not have any ability requirements and are available for everyone/every build)? Not trying to be malignant. I am seriously curious.

Top Bottom