Is Night City a city or a landfill?

+

msxyz

Forum regular
Ok, I get it: it's a dystopian future, people have dilapidated the planet, they generate a huge amount of waste that is not recycled with no thoughts for the consequences for the environment; but who wants to live among heaps of trash? It's not only in the back alleys: it's everywhere. In some parts of Night City, like Rancho Coronado, there are inhabited houses surrounded by mounds of trash!

Nobody complains about the smell? What about rats and other pests? It's not credible that they've been obliterated (actually, in an environment like this, rats would live and reproduce much better than men!). And even if they got away with all evolved lifeforms, insects should thrive. Not only bugs but ants and, worse, lice that can bite humans and carry diseases. And yet people seem to be completely indifferent to the squalor.

I believe trash bags are to CP2077 what boxes and barrels were in old 3d games: a cheap filler content that doesn't look out of place anywhere. The problem is that CDPR went a bit overboard with the trash everywhere and suspension of disbelief is put under severe strain.

Last edited:
Ok, I get it: it's a dystopian future, people have dilapidated the planet, people generate a huge amount of waste that is not recycled with no thoughts for the consequences of the environment but who wants to live among heaps of trash? It's not only in the back alleys it's everywhere. In some parts of Night City, like Rancho Coronado, there are inhabited house surrounded by mounds of trash!

Nobody complains about the smell? What about rats and other pests? It's not credible that they've been obliterated (actually, in an environment like this, rats would live and reproduce much better than men!). And even if they got away with all evolved lifeforms, insects should thrive. Not only bugs but ants, and worse lice that can bite humans and carry diseases. And yet people seems to be completely indifferent to the squalor.

I believe trash bags are to CP2077 what boxes and barrels were in old 3d games: a cheap filler content that doesn't look out of place anywhere. The problem is that CDPR went a bit overboard with the trash everywhere and suspension of disbelief is put under severe strain.
Think it’s in line with the concept that the rich and well connected live in nice areas and penthouses far away from the filth of the streets. Like the old concept of the American Dream, people flock to Night City because that’s where you can realise all your dreams. And they’re willing to live in filth and squalor if that’s the price to pay for making it. The rich 1% capable of making a difference don’t give a shit how filthy the streets are because they don’t have to live there!

Phair

Forum regular
Looks just like a San Francisco, or New York when the sanitation workers go on strike.
Also parts of Los Angeles, Chicago. Piles of trash underneath the overpasses, the desert around Las Vegas, trash bags and appliances strewn all over. Not as over the top and you think.

I think it's ridiculous that we don't see sanitation as a major issue in the mayoral election. I live in NYC and I would vote for the most evil villain in the world if they promised to make sure the garbage pickup runs on time.

1612463718072.png

Packington, UK

The Packington Landfill outside Birmingham is one of the UK’s biggest landfill sites. It’s technically a ‘land raise’, as it forms a towering hill of waste in the countryside, rather than being hidden underground. Packington takes rubbish from Birmingham and Warwickshire but has previously accepted waste from locations including London and Glasgow. Today, Packington covers around 380 acres of former grassland with more than 19m tonnes of waste. Once it is full, it will be covered with a non-permeable layer of clay or plastic, followed by a layer of soil, in which grass will be planted. Some 15 miles of underground pipework siphon away the methane gas produced by to generate electricity.

The world seems to be a landfill.
1612463718072.png

First-hand experience - that's literally not true. Downtown maybe but it's not that bad
Good that it isn't but I also read first hand experience from someone cleaning up places there. Some places were really bad shape, serious health hazard levels.

Puente Hills, US

Puente Hills Landfill, one of the largest landfills in the US, holds 127 million tonnes of waste, and at the time of its closure in 2013, it still had 10m tonnes of capacity. The site had been in operation since 1957. It covers 700 acres and some of the rubbish is buried up to 150 metres deep. As at Packington, the methane gas is funnelled away to create energy (at the Puente Hills Gas-to-Energy Facility), and will continue to do so for some time, as the waste continues to decompose.
Post automatically merged:

It's just that rich countries can send their shit to other countries, most of you don't even realise it. 1st world problems 3rds world issues.

Good that it isn't but I also read first hand experience from someone cleaning up places there. Some places were really bad shape, serious health hazard levels.

Yeah, you also have videos like this:

But it's only in a few places and they are cleared on a regular basis. This is a more complex issue than "Seattle is dirty". There are certain policies in place that allow it. It's a very long story. You can find places like that all around the world, in every town and in every city if you know where to look.

But it's only in a few places and they are cleared on a regular basis. This is a more complex issue than "Seattle is dirty". There are certain policies in place that allow it. It's a very long story. You can find places like that all around the world, in every town and in every city if you know where to look.
Actually no we don't, there are some strict laws in place. We follow this stuff so it doesn't happen here, laws wont be relaxed and so on. It does happen though in a lot's of places around the world, google picture search can tell that much.

Actually no we don't, there are some strict laws in place. We follow this stuff so it doesn't happen here, laws wont be relaxed and so on. It does happen though in a lot's of places around the world, google picture search can tell that much.
Yup, blinkered are the ignorant. or is it ignorant are the blinkered. i forget the quote.

There's accountability like economical part and rights to practice business can be suspended for years, but there's jail part too.

In the world of Cyberpunk 2077 dynamics are different. Government has very little power, mayor can push people out like homeless in the city that may be part of trash problem but in the end it's also commentary about consumerism and value system that values individual based on how much they spend.

There's accountability like economical part and rights to practice business can be suspended for years, but there's jail part too.

In the world of Cyberpunk 2077 dynamics are different. Government has very little power, mayor can push people out like homeless in the city that may be part of trash problem but in the end it's also commentary about consumerism and value system that values individual based on how much they spend.
Sad to say we are actually going down this very path right now, odly.

msxyz

Forum regular
Think it’s in line with the concept that the rich and well connected live in nice areas and penthouses far away from the filth of the streets. Like the old concept of the American Dream, people flock to Night City because that’s where you can realise all your dreams. And they’re willing to live in filth and squalor if that’s the price to pay for making it. The rich 1% capable of making a difference don’t give a shit how filthy the streets are because they don’t have to live there!
True, but aside from a few blocks in Charter Hill, even the 'glamorous' parts of town are littered with thrash. Outside V's apartment there is already a dismal scenery of poverty and squalor and yet it's close to downtown, where the best night clubs are located. V 'premium' apartment is also right in front of it.

Even the rich people don't seem to be bothered by this situation. It's surreal.

I am not sure what I expect, but "plastic garbage bags" just seems so anachronistic for a city in the distance future with flying cars and immortality! When I saw this it was immersion breaking for me as I just expected something else, not 1950s plastic garbage bags!

I guess we have to accept that the plastic garbage bag is now a timeless invention like the mouse trap!

1612469863961.png

Last edited:
True, but aside from a few blocks in Charter Hill, even the 'glamorous' parts of town are littered with thrash. Outside V's apartment there is already a dismal scenery of poverty and squalor and yet it's close to downtown, where the best night clubs are located. V 'premium' apartment is also right in front of it.

Even the rich people don't seem to be bothered by this situation. It's surreal.
it's pretty much indicative of the world outside your window, you just have to open your eyes really.

Top Bottom