Media: Cyberpunk 2077 Movies

+
I think some of the Mission Impossible movies might fit (please don't hit me...)
Politely disagreed.

While tech was a major factor in the agents' line of work, it was not a major factor in the overall world.

And no cyberlimbs. =p

Two movies that I loved, for a point of view of corp role are Barbarians at the Gates and Weapons of Mass Distraction. Those movies were just itching to have some teams of solos added, as well as netrunners hacking corporate systems.
If they both had some future tech in them, definitely cyberpunk.

Ghost in the Shell seems obvious to me. I like the atmosphere in both movies more than the TV series, though I still like them all. And has anyone read the original manga? It is somewhere between the movies and TV series in my list

I'm reading through this list and never thought about how Philip K Dick could be considered the Grandfather of Cyberpunk (with Billy Gibson playing Dad). But we have 3 of his works that have been converted to movies: Blade Runner, Total Recal and A Scanner Darkly. Excellent thread! I want to watch that film Nemesis, as I hadn't seen it before.

I'm reading through this list and never thought about how Philip K Dick could be considered the Grandfather of Cyberpunk (with Billy Gibson playing Dad). But we have 3 of his works that have been converted to movies: Blade Runner, Total Recal and A Scanner Darkly. Excellent thread! I want to watch that film Nemesis, as I hadn't seen it before.

Um... we have far more than three Dick stories that have been made into science fiction films...there is also

Minority Report
Paycheck
Adjustment Bureau
Screamers
Next

and I know they were doing a film version of Radio Free Albermuth, not sure if it ever got released though...

And yeah, check out Nemesis, it won't make you think, but its damn fun....

Interesting; seems no one has mentioned the TV series Total Recall: 2070 yet.

If you can find the series to watch, it's fantastic. Kind of Cyberpunk-meets-noir.

Thanks heaps for recommending this series! :) I just started checking it out and I'm really enjoying it.
The actor playing Ian Farve does a convincing performance and Farve is now my favourite character in the series.

Thanks heaps for recommending this series! :) I just started checking it out and I'm really enjoying it.
The actor playing Ian Farve does a convincing performance and Farve is now my favourite character in the series.
Glad I could broaden your viewing horizons! =)

The movie "Strange Days" has been brought up a few times, since thematically, it's pretty close to the idea of "braindance" we'll see in 2077. Both of the Total Recall films (Arnie and Colin Farrell) touch on the theme, as does (to a lesser extent) eXistenZ, with Jude Law.

side note: for those not familiar with the movie, eXistenZ did the "Inception" thing first, before everyone was talking about "ZOMG Inception!!!1!one!!" If you liked Inception, you MUST see eXistenZ.

time to start watching what all you guys recommend which I haven't seen yet.
in this genre, GITS beats everything by far and Blade Runner is very good.

And imdb ratings don't matter. I'm a pro reviewer there and it doesn't mean shit it says there, just watch what ya like

GITS is fine, but it's not terrifically cyberpunk. Too cop, too techno, too clean by far. Regret is not a prominent feature.

Blade Runner. Still the best and for a reason.

Edit: L2Spell Blade, Sard.

Last edited:
Ah, well.

-- GHOST NIN THE SHELL
-- BLADERUNNER
-- CYBORG
-- THE ISLAND
-- M:A:R:K: 13
-- JUDGE DREDD (the new one)
-- TOTAL RECALL (the new one)
-- PI (oh God watch it PLEASE, and I DON'T mean the one with the Tiger and the boat)
-- Equilibrium
-- CIPHER(!)
-- Sneakers(!)

And since this is 2013, and there is more creativity and money going into video games than movies
-- Remember Me
-- Watchdogs
Thanks for sharing these. Quite a few on there I haven't checked out. I've just been googling the games you mentioned. They look very interesting.

Um... we have far more than three Dick stories that have been made into science fiction films...there is also

Minority Report
Paycheck
Adjustment Bureau
Screamers
Next

and I know they were doing a film version of Radio Free Albermuth, not sure if it ever got released though...

And yeah, check out Nemesis, it won't make you think, but its damn fun....

Sure, but I was referring to the three that I had seen mentioned in the thread that made me think: PKD=cyberpunk

cybersmily already mentioned it, but Ill do it again, cause it's one of my favorites from recent years... AI.

It's also based on a short story -Super-Toys Last All Summer Long- by Brian Aldiss, also one of my faborite Sci-Fy authors. He's known for taking old stories and give them a modernised twist. The tale of Pinochio as a reference is pretty obvious here. :)

cybersmily already mentioned it, but Ill do it again, cause it's one of my favorites from recent years... AI.

It's also based on a short story -Super-Toys Last All Summer Long- by Brian Aldiss, also one of my faborite Sci-Fy authors. He's known for taking old stories and give them a modernised twist. The tale of Pinochio as a reference is pretty obvious here. :)

I don't need to cry that hard ever again thank you very much...

Top Bottom