The Art style Discussion thread

+
Didn't see this kind of thread around so, if it's been posted already feel free to delete.

So I'm wondering, what did you love or hate about the game aesthetically and atmosphere-wise, from the angle of the Sound and the Artistic Deparment's involvement with the game? What stood out, well or badly?

Regarding the art departments, both sound and visual - personally I only have good things to say.

Really, the visual identity of the game is astounding imo. I still remember the first encounter with Maelstrom and Dum Dum, the eerie, tense, crazy dangerous atmosphere of having those metalheads in your face. The red lights (perfect colour hue). The escalation.

And the music amping it all up to 1000% tension.

Then later entering Konpeki Plaza with Jackie, the red lights in the muted, dimmed lobby...

The Voodoo Boys' Church, all the clubs, Tottentanz especially.

Cyberspace... just wow.

I could keep going but I want to keep this short and let others move in. I might do a more detailed appreciation thread with materials from my 2nd playthrough later.

I think the art teams deserve a bonus of their lives for the job they've done in the game. Imo they are responsible for one of the strongest suits of the game.

Oh, and the Tarot cards. Hit the right spot of vague but useful aid to help me figure out some characters, and how to navigate the game towards the ending I prefer the most. And the Art for each card itself... just amazing, both symbolically and aesthetically.

The soundtrack... I've listened to it about 15 times now as well. The radio songs are killing it, too.

Really, the game is a portfolio of a lifetime imo for anyone involved in it artistically, despite any gameplay flaws.

Last edited:
I guess nobody says that the art style of CP were terrible or doesn't fit.
It's the bugs and glitches why the people are upset and mad about it.

Didn't see this kind of thread around so, if it's been posted already feel free to delete.

So I'm wondering, what did you love or hate about the game aesthetically and atmosphere-wise, from the angle of the Artistic Deparment's involvement with the game? What stood out, well or badly?

Regarding the art departments, both sound and visual - personally I only have good things to say.

Really, the visual identity of the game is astounding imo. I still remember the first encounter with Maelstrom and Dum Dum, the eerie, tense, crazy dangerous atmosphere of having those metalheads in your face. The red lights (perfect colour hue). The escalation.

Then later entering Konpeki Plaza with Jackie, the red lights in the muted, dimmed lobby...

Cyberspace... just wow.

I could keep going but I want to keep this short and let others move in. I might do a more detailed appreciation thread with materials from my 2nd playthrough later.

I think the art teams deserve a bonus of their lives for the job they've done in the game. Imo they are responsible for one of the strongest suits of the game.

Oh, and the Tarot cards. Hit the right spot of vague but useful aid to help me figure out some characters, and how to navigate the game towards the ending I prefer the most. And the Art for each card itself... just amazing, both symbolically and aesthetically.

The soundtrack... I've listened to it about 15 times now as well. The radio songs are killing it, too.

Really, the game is a portfolio of a lifetime imo for anyone involved in it artistically, despite any gameplay flaws.
I guess nobody says that the art style of CP were terrible or doesn't fit.
It's the bugs and glitches why the people are upset and mad about it.

Yeah, I realize. So leave the bugs and glitches for those other topics :)

Brutalism is definitely there in the City design and it's very hard to get right as eastern and western architecture has partially different definition for that.

So I'm wondering, what did you love or hate about the game aesthetically and atmosphere-wise, from the angle of the Artistic Deparment's involvement with the game? What stood out, well or badly?

Cyberspace... just wow.

The art style in this game, the way they’ve designed the city, the lighting at night, it’s honestly one of my favourite settings I’ve seen in a game. I love the retrofuturism genre, and this game honestly smashes the aesthetic. Even the badlands environment captures that isolated feeling of being in a desert, in a way that didn’t feel like they mapped it out as an afterthought.
Also really like the fashion-style they’ve given NC inhabitants, and the distinct look each faction has. All immediately identifiable.

Kinda off topic: the OST and radios are amazing as well.

The art style in this game, the way they’ve designed the city, the lighting at night, it’s honestly one of my favourite settings I’ve seen in a game. I love the retrofuturism genre, and this game honestly smashes the aesthetic. Even the badlands environment captures that isolated feeling of being in a desert, in a way that didn’t feel like they mapped it out as an afterthought.
Also really like the fashion-style they’ve given NC inhabitants, and the distinct look each faction has. All immediately identifiable.

Kinda off topic: the OST and radios are amazing as well.

I meant this topic to include the Sound Artists as well, so no need to worry about off topic. I'll clarify in the OP.

Yeah, I realize. So leave the bugs and glitches for those other topics :)
Well how the light blubs are placed (ceiling, corner, etc) is really cool to create atmosphere but after that i think it would be too dark. Like in movies or tv shows the light if the scene looks great and so on but nobody would really accept this if you have to work with that. Like a dark corridor with broken light - come on, fix this.
:)

Top Bottom