What happened to quest design in Cyberpunk 2077?

+
And what does street kid get? 10 seconds of working in a store.
Post automatically merged:

This is really not the aspect of affecting the world people are talking about. I will always go back this part of the game. CP gives you these choices during the VB mission. Spare/or kill the VB's and Placid. As well as spare/kill Sasquatch. You choose to kill them. Their story ends and are gone. You choose not to kill them. Their story ends and are gone. No branching, continuation of their stories. There's no side mission opened up for Sasquatch. No side story opened up for both of them living, nothing. False choice.
Yup boring bland shades of brown, an exercise in pointless repetition.

Last edited:
Nope, totally disagree, Witcher 3 is diffrent(you have no idea what are you talking about)
I suggest to watch this guy
Cybertrash is not even 1% of what Witcher 3 is, and you wanna know why? because most of the talented people left after the Witcher 3 release

I suggest forming your own opinions and not relying on someone else to pipe them into your head.

The thing that felt really bizarre to me. Was that, out of all the neglected Lifepath elements. You'd think each one would of had a single mission made for them. When I played Nomad. Which was my first run. I was like: Cool the car mission gave you the option to take it back, give it to the woman. I wonder what the other two LP's get. And they get nothing. Like, WTH happened?

If the endings are designed based off the LP's. Than the endings should have been restricted to the LP's. With the sole exceptions Secret and Suicide. Not usable by everyone. Since they are, than all endings must incorporate all LP's in their resolution. I can't play all the LP openings with one character. Who's idea was to allow that with the endings.

No, unrestricted ending is OK.
Ending do designed based on the LP, but charactor will change.
The through of change is his arc.
People will rethink their life after something huge impact happened.
The main story of game is a huge impact, no doubt V have a chance to make a different life.

The W3 had some nice quests that kept me on my toes. There were tangible consequences that were even surprising but appropriate.

I think that has a lot to do with The Witcher already having novels. There was a blueprint at the very least that could be followed. Thankfully the novels were well written so it only had to be "game-afied".

CP2077 does have stories, but it seems like there wasn't a coherent enough string of stories. They might not have been as well written as The Witcher too. So that leaves more of that work to CDPR. Not an excuse. Just conjecture.

Anyways, I feel ya. The quests and "role-playing" is minimal at best. The whole game feels like a beta.

The W3 had some nice quests that kept me on my toes. There were tangible consequences that were even surprising but appropriate.

I think that has a lot to do with The Witcher already having novels. There was a blueprint at the very least that could be followed. Thankfully the novels were well written so it only had to be "game-afied".

CP2077 does have stories, but it seems like there wasn't a coherent enough string of stories. They might not have been as well written as The Witcher too. So that leaves more of that work to CDPR. Not an excuse. Just conjecture.

Anyways, I feel ya. The quests and "role-playing" is minimal at best. The whole game feels like a beta.
This is probably why CP lack good storytelling. This also says that CDPR lack good storytelling if they don’t have a good novel to backup their game.

I will admit that some of the side quest for CP were more meaningful than the main story.

This is probably why CP lack good storytelling. This also says that CDPR lack good storytelling if they don’t have a good novel to backup their game.

I will admit that some of the side quest for CP were more meaningful than the main story.
I think that is why some of the side quests are good. They also tend to be open ended, as if to be the background story for a table top adventure. The politicians and cyberpsychos quest lines come to mind. They are both very anticlimactic to the point where i wonder if they are just wasn't a complete story available. Just tales and shorts to support the game table top game. Which is weird since the game part of CP is set and well tested. You'd think at least that would be the strength of CP2077.

CP2077 is 1/4 of 3 different games stitched up together to make 2/3 of a game at 4/4 the price.

Here is my chart, basically the main questline is too simple. Other problems that have been mentioned like quest choices not being acknowledged, lifepaths, and poor side quest design. Some side quests are really fun, but some feel like Skyrim's radiant quest system. Another side quest issue is poor meaningful resolution, like the cyberpsycho quest, the fixer basically acted all snotty when I asked about the therapy results. I did all that work, so I could be treated poorly, if I had been able I would have thrown that fixer out the window.
questline.png

Basically we don't get to make many meaningful choices that effect the main quest line, as doing the Goro/Hanako route is required, while we only have 2 optional branches. Its just feels strange how much setup was wasted, it feels like the story should branch, but it doesn't. We have several interactions with the in game factions, but nothing results from it. Jackie and Judy, along with several other npcs we encounter, have ties to gangs, but the player can't interact with the gangs really. Same for corpos.

241321.JPG

I picked that of the video and I think it is really interesting. Maybe it is not just 3 different endings! or branching questlines! W3 put a many loosely threads back to the mainstory. The branches go back to the tree trunk, so to speak.
In CP2077 almost all end and that's it.

I suggest forming your own opinions and not relying on someone else to pipe them into your head.
If you look out of the window the horizon seams kind of flat. Thank god somebody told you that the earth is not a disc :oops:

Now that I'm replaying the game, the quest design seems even weirder to me. Take for example the quest with the club where Evelyn worked.
The choice to talk to Woodman or fight him leads to nothing and is located at the end of the quest. We end up either getting information from him or from his computer in the SAME room.

Why doesn't killing Woodman lead to a new quest where the player would have to find another way to find out about Evelyn's location?

Why is this choice located at the end of the quest and not at the beginning? Have Woodman meet us at the entrance and the dialogue with him determine how events in the quest will unfold.

Or, for example, the player MUST connect to the computer to enter the club. Why can't I just crack the door? Why can't I pull out a gun and shoot the administrator at the entrance?

Moreover, I tried to do the quest without talking to the other dolls in the booths, went straight to the VIP area. I wonder how the dialogues in the story will change since I didn't talk to them and V doesn't know the details of what happened to Evelyn? They won't.

The quest is written so that all dialogues lead to Woodman, skipping them doesn't affect anything. What happened to Evelyn in the club doesn't affect anything in the story either - it doesn't matter if V knows about it or not.

I don't understand what happened to CDPR.

Not Witcher 3
It's a game of the same genre. At least that's what CDPR promised in their advertising campaign. So it makes sense to compare them.
Then CDPR quietly changed the genre to action adventure. But they didn't say that they were changing the genre of the game in any of the pre-release videos.

See? that s what people seem to dismiss... CP2077 is completelly based on CP2020 a tabletop RPG that came out in the 90´s, with as much as 30 years of lore by now... it s damn hard to weave that into one IP that will make sense story-wise and NOT feel constructed, with the majority of players probably not even knowing (or ignoring the fact), or haven t even heard of CP2020...
The emotional build-up of CP2077 is fan-fucking-tastic... as well as the voice acting by the cast members... once you read a little into the Who is Who and what is what of the CP2020 lore, even more so...

It s a great story that (fortunately/unfortunately, you decide) has to be railroaded in some way, to maintain a constant emotional involvement... i didn t want GTA: Night City or "L.A. Simulator: 2077" and thankfully i didn t get one...
There s a lot of world-building and additional lore (even such that drives the plot forward, or at least supplements it) in the side quests and sometimes even the gigs and jobs...

Unfortunatelly there was this internal strugle at CDPR, with the experienced devs of TW3 fame, having a very clear picture of how they could have make this game and the story work, but the new corpo guy had other plans, so they clashed and most of the good peeps left... that s what killed the game...

Guest 4519094

huuuuh ... you maybe confusing CDPR with the studio producing vtmb2 ...

Act 1 was great, from Act 2 the (important) choices become less and less.

Can you tell me what important choices there are in Act I that make any difference at all to the story?

Yes, that's why it's not a bad game but disappointing one. Act 1 and the prologue mission introduced so many features and choices that had impacts, like the trauma team landing / Max Tec shooting gang members / different outcomes with Meredis. For some reason, to me the whole genre of the game from an RPG changed to an Action Adventure game, becoming more linear. They showed what the game is and could have been in the first parts of the game and stopped delivering.

None of the choices you mention alter the story in any meaningful way. Act I is as much an "on the rails" experience as the rest of the game, it just has a little bit more dynamic storytelling. At best your choices affect the world for *other* characters, none of them make a damn bit of difference to what happens with V.

Yup boring bland shades of brown, an exercise in pointless repetition.

Don't be ridiculous, at least one of those shades is beige. :D

Top Bottom