Opinions on Gwent's Current State

+

ya1

Forum regular
I'm not sure how you would prove that the game really does not independently match two opponents together without regard to any concealed design.

It doesn't. It just feel like it does because the game is extremely binary. If you match up badly, and they don't misdraw, you often just cannot win. It feels rigged and unfair. Especially when it happens a few times in a row. But devs would gain nothing from employing secret algorithms to give people busted matchups. The game just has busted matchups. It's that kinda game.

Like someone told before, I also began playing gwent because of the covid. In all this time I saw a lot of changes and balance things, and I always enjoyed the game or, at least, see an effort from the developpers. Saying the opposite just because you don't like the changes is a bit childish.
I have the feeling that some people are made because they don't yet achieve to win with their favourite decks and, you know, it's ok. I had that feelings to, but hey, you can try other decks. I liked druids and beasts, did a deck based on them and having good results without Gedyneith or SK warriors. I liked NR wizards and tried to do a deck with them, achieving... nothing :((, because they are too bad, as SK pirates which suffered the same fate (please, some love for them). But it was also ok, because I loved ST traps and I made a deck using most of them (only 3 get out) and arrive to pro rank for the first time, and even continuing to win there.
What I want to say with all of that it's you have to try, and you have to persevere. None of my decks were my first attempt; I had to do some trial and error, changing cards for others and adapting it until I reach the final version. And even there, maybe it's not enough (pirates cof cof), but thart doens't mean that the game is not good enought; it's just that archetype have to be ajusted. But you have plenty others to proof your imagination.
I'll finish this by thanking the CPDR (I even don't know whats this means, but I'm pretty sure it's a short way to say developpers, ins't it?) team for his job.
In fact its CDPR - CD Project Red - the name of the company who create the witchers games and also the gwent game

In fact its CDPR

Don't you mean CCR? Doo-doo-do...
Post automatically merged:

It doesn't. It just feel like it does because the game is extremely binary. If you match up badly, and they don't misdraw, you often just cannot win. It feels rigged and unfair. Especially when it happens a few times in a row. But devs would gain nothing from employing secret algorithms to give people busted matchups. The game just has busted matchups. It's that kinda game.

When you keep getting matched against the same sort of faction deck for game after game after game, it sure doesn't feel 'random'!

I ranked up to 1 today. Had some luck. I've only really noticed good luck twice and they were both in recent weeks. Just getting matched with non-bs decks helps as well as opponents getting disconnected.

Ordinarily, I just have loss after loss after loss. If I somehow complete my mosaic, I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose my next few games. It's that kind of game.

ya1

Forum regular
When you keep getting matched against the same sort of faction deck for game after game after game

Then you change your deck to one that has a better matchup. And if you are grinding mmr and you need to play one faction, then you wait a week. It usually comes in waves. Everyone played Viy at first. Then Lockdown came, and nobody played Viy. When people play more Elves or Assimilate, then Lockdown won't be so popular anymore.

Just getting matched with non-bs decks helps

What helps is giving up on the notion that some decks are bs and playing the meta as it is.

You're right, I apologize for saying it like that. I get that you don't directly manage the card design, and it was unfair of me to use your name when talking about that department.

I know you didn't have a lot of say in Homecoming either. I honestly feel bad for you and everyone else who put those years of work into the game just to see it all undone. I'm sure you were more frustrated than anyone. I hope you believe me when I say I want the game to improve too. The card design has just felt so incomplete when compared to how the game was years ago.
For the record, I believe Gwent team took a very important step in the good direction with card design in the latest expansion. I really like the more strategic and creative approach on how many key cards are drafted - definitely a significant improvement over MM card design. This, and the solid efforts to ensure faction balance to a reasonable extent on ladder takes the game in an overall better direction in my opinion.
Post automatically merged:

Interestingly, Riot reached the same conclusion with Legends of Runeterra: they release new cards much more frequently than other CGs, because it helps to keep the game fresh.
Yes, this is probably another thing to consider / improve.
We shouldn't necessary think full-scale expansions here, more like smaller, tactical packages of cards. Sure, these need to be able to provide profits as well at the same time, this is however more on the commerical teams to configure.

What helps is giving up on the notion that some decks are bs and playing the meta as it is.

Then that would happen to this forum? What would the game devs do to occupy their time? They'd have nothing to nerf! Have you really thought this through?

I liked this game so much that I have spent +300 hours on it. When I reached Pro Rank a few months ago I felt like I had accomplished something of great difficulty.

The game had a lot going for it even though it was never really balanced but right now it's astonishingly unbalanced and boring.

I've been playing old decks as of late which had granted me fair success in the past, but my winrate has now dropped to a meagre 20%. It's really frustrating.

I fully understand that some decks can be (and must be) a bit more powerful than others (depending on their synergies and the player's deckbuilding skills) but it's unacceptable for a deck with good archetype synergy to perform as poorly as they have been especially since the last expansion.

SK is so powerful now that in the last match I played against it I was beaten in round 3 despite having 2 card advantage and a good hand. Ridiculous.

As of now, it's more about your deck strength than anything else. I would say 75% deck strength, 15 % luck and 10 % skill.

This is my review of Gwent in its current state:

Art - 9/10
Balance and consistency of cards and abilities - 2/10
Fun - 4/10
Lore - 7/10
Interface (on PC) - 8/10
Basic concept of the game (factions, archetypes, abilities, rounds, mulligans....) - 8/10
Reward system and progression - 6/10
Bug-free mechanics - 7/10 (some bugs appear when destroying/spawning units if the row is or will be full, for example)
Different game modes - 5/10
Matchmaking - 7/10 (too slow now)

Sadly, I'm leaving the game, I've grown so tired of it already.

I agree.

THEY NEED TO BALANCE THE GAME.
So boring with EVERY matches being the same deck. NO creativity allowed because some decks are too overpowered.

[...]

I thought of investing in Cd project Red, but seeing how bad they are at balancing this game, I'm not surprised how poorly Cyberpunk 2077 turned out.

Yes. Money is important. Powerful expansion cards = money. I get it.
But you are killing the game. When every deck you play against is the same build.
-> It gets boring.
-> It destroys creativity.

Every game, when they introduce a new character they make it strong so people will spend money to buy it.
The difference is that while in games such as LoL, people can ban a character in league play, in Gwent you can't.
If I am playing against the same 5 decks 80% of the time. It is just... boring.

CD project Red. Please. Use your brain. Don't kill what can be a beautiful game where people can try different builds (and actually have a chance).

I liked this game so much that I have spent +300 hours on it. When I reached Pro Rank a few months ago I felt like I had accomplished something of great difficulty.

The game had a lot going for it even though it was never really balanced but right now it's astonishingly unbalanced and boring.

I've been playing old decks as of late which had granted me fair success in the past, but my winrate has now dropped to a meagre 20%. It's really frustrating.

I fully understand that some decks can be (and must be) a bit more powerful than others (depending on their synergies and the player's deckbuilding skills) but it's unacceptable for a deck with good archetype synergy to perform as poorly as they have been especially since the last expansion.

SK is so powerful now that in the last match I played against it I was beaten in round 3 despite having 2 card advantage and a good hand. Ridiculous.

As of now, it's more about your deck strength than anything else. I would say 75% deck strength, 15 % luck and 10 % skill.

This is my review of Gwent in its current state:

Art - 9/10
Balance and consistency of cards and abilities - 2/10
Fun - 4/10
Lore - 7/10
Interface (on PC) - 8/10
Basic concept of the game (factions, archetypes, abilities, rounds, mulligans....) - 8/10
Reward system and progression - 6/10
Bug-free mechanics - 7/10 (some bugs appear when destroying/spawning units if the row is or will be full, for example)
Different game modes - 5/10
Matchmaking - 7/10 (too slow now)

Sadly, I'm leaving the game, I've grown so tired of it already.

I support you and think the same about unbalanced cards.
What will take my resilience is affection on Witcher series and card's high art level, but I will invest progressive less time on this game, due to another factor: available time for turn.
- Too many people abuse of it
- I think "Battle rush" (seasonal mode) is a good example. It should be converted as checkable option for players (as ranked mode). But a little correction: 8 seconds are too short due to animations' wasted time. 10 seconds may be better

Thanks bots_killer

and have been struggling to find a way to make the game better without doing another all-in crazy revamp or spending another half a year undoing year's worth of work.

But isn't that exactly what is being done now, with no new major expansions for 6+ months?
There just needs to be more communication and transparency about what is going on behind the scenes of Gwent, or the game will just not have a bright future. The steady exodus of the best Gwent streamers and community members is a clear sign Gwent is not in a gweat state, regardless of what internal or other numbers may tell you.
McBeard leaving now as well is just another sad day for Gwent.

Wish you Slama and your team all the best, but something needs to fundamentally change to get Gwent into a better place and to reassure the community that the game is well and has a bright future ahead. Broken patches nearly every time now is just not helping the situation, no matter what legitimate causes there might be for them.

It is so unbelievably boring playing right now. Half the decks are NG in the 6th rank and they play the same strategies over and over and over. BORING... But they want pro rank and they go to the deck section on this, look at strategy suggestions, all build the same deck and play it. I really don't mind playing a NG deck on occasion, but its HALF or more of all matches....Developers need to find a way to make people play more variety of decks to make this more interesting... Stunningly boring right now. Lets play a match.... oh a NG deck again... how fun... I can actually guess the next card they are going to play half the time...

Years, years ago, I used to play a game called Urban Rivalz. It was also a cards game. The point is how often they released new cards: each two fridays they gave us 5 new cards (or maybe 3 I don't remeber it). There were 9 or 10 faction, which means there was always some of them that had to waite por new outcomes. But that kept the game fresh and also incentivates trying other factions.
Something like that might be a solution.

Last edited:
To make the game more fun it needs more rng. People wanted less rng and this is the result, the game becomes boring after a while.
Personally i want more rng in this game because i don't care at all about the competitive side.

To make the game more fun it needs more rng. People wanted less rng and this is the result, the game becomes boring after a while.
Personally i want more rng in this game because i don't care at all about the competitive side.

If you want more RNG play the Draft mode.

RNG is the worst thing that can be added to the game, as it results in a rock/paper/scissor game instead of a thinking and strategic competitive card game.
Even the RNG cards that exist now should be reduced; there was much less RNG in Beta Gwent and some would argue it had a lot more interesting archetypes and deck options.

If you want more RNG play the Draft mode.

To much rng is bad also but as it stands now the game is very boring because in ranked mode after a while you can predict every move your opponent makes because same decks are played over and over again.

Even so i still prefer gwent over any other card game out there. I like how hearthstone is played but that pay to win model is horrible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom