UNLOCK ROMANCES

+

Unlocked romance ?

• Of course !

Votes: 53 79.1%
  • I don't play romance or I don't care !

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Romance ? Never heard about it...

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
No.

Edit: and by my emphatic NO, I mean NO, romances should not be changed to cater to anyone's whims. Judy is a lesbian, Panam is straight, River is straight, Kerry is currently uninterested in another hetero relationship.

That's it. That's how people work. If we want writers to write characters as PEOPLE, we have to respect these characters have preferences built into their backstories. Move along.

Edit 2: There's mods for that kinda shit.

Last edited:
Well i think i would have preferred them to go the open route when they were building characters/romances, but then on the whole i think the romances are treated as rather an afterthought (unlike TW series) and there's much i wish was different in how they were treated.
As things stand they aren't going to unlock them and i've accepted with that. Just hope we get post ending expansion including LI's to respark interest in the game.

No.

Edit: and by my emphatic NO, I mean NO, romances should not be changed to cater to anyone's whims. Judy is a lesbian, Panam is straight, River is straight, Kerry is currently uninterested in another hetero relationship.

That's it. That's how people work. If we want writers to write characters as PEOPLE, we have to respect these characters have preferences built into their backstories. Move along.

Edit 2: There's mods for that kinda shit.
thank you!

I'm so tired of this topic, it keeps popping back up, and it always feels slimy.

Like a bad burrito eaten at 3am on the tail end of a long night out.

Slimy because CDPR was very shortsighted to begin with. It's ridiculous to write something as paltry as 4 romances and then tying them to orientation... and not expecting this response. It's ridiculous to think all people of an orientation think the same. That orientation is THE ONLY defining trait of a person, while everything else about a person is trivial. That ALL straights must think this way. And ALL gays must do this. It's incredibly stupid. To not even give players basic "binary" choices (good girl/bad girl, etc) to at least "pretend" they're roleplaying *some* kind of character with more tastes than just orientation.

That said, I'd rather they just wrote more characters than change existing ones.

Last edited:
This keeps popping up, and I've stayed out of this so far but.... Honestly its kinda crazy how upset people are. CDPR Came out like a year ago and said that there would be romance, but characters would have their own Orientation/Preferences and would not just cater to the whims of the player character. And at the time people applauded them for "realistic representation"
Now people are mad because they kept to their word on that ? Could there be more options? sure. Did they build a world that is interesting but could use even more interesting characters with or without the romance option? Also yes. But it can't be both ways, we either get well written characters with actual preference or we get bots that will just do what we went if we enter the right combination of choices. Also lets remember that when bioware eventually just unlocked all romance options in the mass effect series and later SWTOR, and all of a sudden everyone was just Bi, people were mad at that too because it "Killed emersion" and "Negated Sexual Preference"

Point is there is no clear cut answer so fighting about it wont change anything and the petitions to change the game seem counter productive, Lets just hope we get more characters in the future who are well written and will fill out the world with diverse interesting stories and ideas, not just in this game but all RPGs.

Rather than changing existing character's romantic preferences, CDPR should introduce new love interests with other/more flexible preferences. Perhaps some of them could have a preference for what genitals the player has, which isn't the case with the existing LIs.

we either get well written characters

Didn't get that at all, period. Panam is another "daddy issues" character, that probably came out of the mind of some hack from Bioware, still stuck with teenage psychological problems. Complete with ultimatums tying her to the ending with me getting her dad killed. She's also not cyberized or punk...in a cyberpunk game. Her appearance is boring. Random NPCs on the sidewalk have better designs than her. They took no risks on that front. But the worst of all is [...], who expect me to echo how she's the greatest thing since sliced bread, how this is well written, and one choice is fit for all. If you didn't try to forcefeed this in the first place, I wouldn't say anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't get that at all, period. Panam is another "daddy issues" character, that probably came out of the mind of some hack from Bioware, still stuck with teenage psychological problems. Complete with ultimatums tying her to the ending with me getting her dad killed. She's also not cyberized or punk...in a cyberpunk game. Her appearance is boring. Random NPCs on the sidewalk have better designs than her. They took no risks on that front. But the worst of all is [...], who expect me to echo how she's the greatest thing since sliced bread, how this is well written, and one choice is fit for all. If you didn't try to forcefeed this in the first place, I wouldn't say anything.

That's your opinion of ONE character, which you're entitled to, but that's just your opinion. Personally I don't think she's the best written thing in the game either. But you took one line out of my post and ripped apart ONE character. The fact still remains, people liked the idea of characters having their own preference.... until they couldn't "Romance" the exact person they wanted, which isn't a developer issue, its a maturity issue about not getting exactly what they wanted, I also said I agree they could have done more with the characters and I'd like to see a bigger cast of them. But just removing everyone's preference so the player can sleep with whoever they want is a step backwards not forwards.

Can someone please reprogram that cute girl at the end of my street. I want her to like me.
Why? Because videogame ... Oh ... Oohw...

No, keep relation preferences as they are

I find that rather a nonsense rationale. Trying to compare to real world where there's more than a single boy/girl ever going to be interested. I can certainly understand the desire for unlocking given the paltry state of the romantic options (even if i think it's unlikely to happen & even if it happened it wouldn't solve the awful way the romances are handled outside of being a nomad)

The topic is very slippery . CDPR will never change a story that is already finished. But it can always be expanded. If I were them, I would just introduce new characters with possible side activities outside of the quests.

For example Judy has plenty of email conversations with Evelyn and the girls from Clouds on her computer. The dialogues she has also leave hint that she is lesbian so why destroy character and allow her to have a male partner? I prefer it that way as it is right now.

Agh I voted yes because I read the title quickly and I thought it was like "did you romanced someone in the game"?

Although I like having bisexual characters, I accept that because that character is that way. Not artificially.

The topic is very slippery . CDPR will never change a story that is already finished. But it can always be expanded. If I were them, I would just introduce new characters with possible side activities outside of the quests.

Even that sucks in the end. They'll always have the air of being unintegrated afterthoughts, even if they made them. It's not like they'd ever get Keanu again just to add lines and comment on them, like he does Judy, Kerry, etc..
The whole game is trash by design. The combat, the AI, the story, the lifepaths, the factions, the romances, etc..
Post automatically merged:

That's your opinion of ONE character, which you're entitled to, but that's just your opinion.

When did I say it wasn't? And I could rip apart other characters if you want. Kerry is bisexual in the lore. Even Talsorian admitted that. But they rationalized that he's gay only in this game because he has unsettled issues with Johnny (R. Talsorian Games. Cyberpunk RED out now! on Twitter: "@hexed_astora @YenFromHR @MTomaszkiewicz Honestly, we still consider Kerry to be bisexual. With male-presenting V vs female-presenting V we suspect Kerry's attraction is deeply rooted into unresolved issues involving Johnny. Male-presenting V fits that particular mold better, to his subconscious." / Twitter ).

So basically, the whole point of Kerry's romance is that he doesn't even focus on V. Just Johnny in his head. How does that even qualify as "romance" content? And this is the ONE choice gays get? This is worse than anything I said about Panam. I just focused on that before because I'm straight. It's bad enough that some of these are awful.. but then they give no options other than one awful choice. It's better to not play the romance stuff at all, for some people. It ends up being the better "option" (if you want to call "nothing" an option).

Last edited:
Top Bottom