[Spoilers] Very few of the quests have satisfying resolutions

+
With six months to live, a romantic partner who loves her, and an enormous fortune, V decides (with no input from player) that merc missions are the thing she wants to do with her last six months of life. Why? Yes, this was what V wanted at the *beginning* of the story sitting in the limo with Jackie, but the point of character arcs is change. This was the point that V has learned what's really important, and that she wants love and friendship more than glory. (Or at least that choice should have been ours to make.)

I keep hearing that V's goal is to make a name / be remembered, but don't know where that comes from.
Jackie wanted to make it big. V was along for the ride until s/he got in too deep to get out.

A V that can assault a Arasaka building either alone or with a partner (inside) and the massive numbers of armed, armoured, and highly skilled guards - suddenly is too weak to take on barely armoured gangers - who you can fight over and over and over doing police quests.

I absolutely agree that this is a problem, and it's one that nearly every game like this has to deal with, but we're looking at it from opposite angles. The combat gameplay has us as one thing, and the story another.

Short version, V's in-game power is completely absurd. If the game world treated you like the threat you are, you 'd have fully military battalions coming down on you because you're a basically a force of nature. The conceit of the story is that you're...just another merc, who can only do what any one merc could do. Frankly, I think V should be a lot weaker (and poorer, really), but I can understand why they went the direction they did.

I keep hearing that V's goal is to make a name / be remembered, but don't know where that comes from.
Jackie wanted to make it big. V was along for the ride until s/he got in too deep to get out.

I understand that V has everything to lose, but even more to gain by that job. So my interpretation of that ending is it's a shot at a chance for cure for V's condition. Either from the data they are stealing from Crystal Palace, or Mr Blue Eyes has some resources or might get leverage on them through the job.

So my interpretation of that ending is it's a shot at a chance for cure for V's condition.

Except that the conversation beforehand doesn’t reflect that, and both Judy and Panam would be more supportive if it were a shot at a cure.
They’re both vexed because V is going off to do this to “become a legend” and they think that’s stupid—because IT IS.

We can handwave it and decide V didn’t tell them or whatever but the intent in the dialogue (and external descriptions of that ending by the devs) is that V wants to go out in a blaze of glory by pulling this last job.

Not to that extent, but there are fragments of something more going on, like the whole Tarot side quest, the Zen Master knowing what V is going through and then disappearing and how did V get hacked by Night Corp (?) so easily when dealing with Peralez.

This isn't really a refutation, but the common belief right now is that the Tarot side quest is the lingering remnants of Jackie's memory from the very brief period in which he was dying with the Relic in his own brain. This is believed because the cards are all images from the specific Tarot deck he bought Misty right before his final missions and it helps explain why even Johnny finds it confusing and mysterious, since he didn't activate until your own brain flatlined, an opportunity that was missed by Jackie pulling it out of his head before he passed.

HOWEVER, to your question of how V got hacked by Night Corp post-Peralez: My running theory is that the virus you got while hooked up to Sandra Dorsett in the beginning of the game was their entryway, as that plot thread is so suddenly dropped right after Vik fixes your brain. If you dig for information, you find out that Sandra was running from Night Corp after stealing a bunch of their files with the plans to whistleblow about Night Corp's secret AI projects involving taking over employee's brains. There's no way that or your assisting of them would go unnoticed, let alone unpunished.

Last edited:
This isn't really a refutation, but the common belief right now is that the Tarot side quest is the lingering remnants of Jackie's memory from the very brief period in which he was dying with the Relic in his own brain. This is believed because the cards are all images from the specific Tarot deck he bought Misty right before his final missions and it helps explain why even Johnny finds it confusing and mysterious, since he didn't activate until your own brain flatlined, an opportunity that was missed by Jackie pulling it out of his head before he passed.

HOWEVER, to your question of how V got hacked by Night Corp post-Peralez: My running theory is that the virus you got while hooked up to Sandra Dorsett in the beginning of the game was their entryway, as that plot thread is so suddenly dropped right after Vik fixes your brain. If you dig for information, you find out that Sandra was running from Night Corp after stealing a bunch of their files with the plans to whistleblow about Night Corp's secret AI projects involving taking over employee's brains. There's no way that or your assisting of them would go unnoticed, let alone unpunished.

I was suspecting that about the Night Corp sitch, but your point about the Tarot is spot on wow makes perfect sense :D.

... I'm sure that the Peralezes would be happy if you brought down Holt, and just ending there it feels like yet another example of cut content.
And i'm sure Peralezes couldn't care less about Holt, given how my V discovered and revealed to both Peralezes that it ain't Holt who's messing with 'em. It's SSI, and SSI clearly does not do any Holt's bidding based on what V learns from all the data sources around Peralezes and SSI van.

And there is rock-solid in-lore explanation why we don't get to learn / find any much about true puppet master of Peralezes (and others), given by none other than Johnny himself: namely his remark about old rogue AI being the entity who orchestrated whole Peralezes deal. Think: if an AI is decades old, yet even in 2077 is acting on its own - what and where exactly that AI would be? Yep, one darn powerful AI, lurking somewhere behind the Black Wall (from where nobody managed to get back to tell any story what's behind that wall, as we know). And given how much trouble we get to contact one such AI - Alt - even while having lots of very special leads / tools to contact her (Johnny himself, some of the best independent netrunners of NC from vodoo boys, etc) - it's no wonder we fail to anyhow contact the AI which was directing SSI operatives. Especially seeing utmost discipline and professionalism SSI clearly is capable of, as evident from the shard dropped by one of black team SSI operatives if V manages to catch them (which almost no players ever manage to do) and several other sources.

All in all, there is lots more in major side jobs than it seems there is. It's often not easy at all to find / experience "extra details / info" - the game does not give everything to the player on the silver platter. Gotta be creative and gotta spend much time / pay lots of attention to things around V, if one wishes to discover "full" content there is.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
And i'm sure Peralezes couldn't care less about Holt, given how my V discovered and revealed to both Peralezes that it ain't Holt who's messing with 'em. It's SSI, and SSI clearly does not do any Holt's bidding based on what V learns from all the data sources around Peralezes and SSI van.

I was talking about I Fought the Law, if you had read my post fully you would have seen that I don't have a problem with how Dream On ends. [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that V has everything to lose, but even more to gain by that job. So my interpretation of that ending is it's a shot at a chance for cure for V's condition. Either from the data they are stealing from Crystal Palace, or Mr Blue Eyes has some resources or might get leverage on them through the job.
I agree. V's primary goal, main desire - is to avoid death (as a person). This is said and told so great many times through the main story, in all kinds of situations. And then, the client who hires V for the job - at some point says, quote: "but if this works, you'll gain more than you ever imagined". Considering who the client is, it may well be very true.

Top Bottom