Please explain the HALF LIFE in final battle. (spoiler)

+
So I went "don't fear the reaper" and the first thing was "o crap I cannot save at all thru the entire series of battles!".
The second thing was "OH CRAP I am only allowed to heal up to %50 of normal health!"

So despite my instant foreboding at the start of that, I actually did make it thru on the first time thanks to my Satori Katana. Wow that weapon even sliced thru Adam Smasher soooooo easy! In a small way I was disappointed how easy that was. On the other hand I did specifically PLAN for the fight to be no problem by grinding all my stats up as high as possible!

So here is my question, what the HECK was the reason that suddenly I had only half my life? Is this just a lazy way DEV made the game "harder" or was there some in game reason that I missed? At first I thought this was a bug but I see on youtube this is normal. But NOWHERE is any explanation for this.

Last edited:
I just did that ending last night. It's a timer, V's time is running out, that's it. The Relic is getting to them so the health bar is running down. Johnny does say "We could be hours from it now" earlier in Nocturne OP55N1. Kinda makes sense, but also kinda dumb. I liked it for the added "get your butt moving" aspect of it.

Another thing to make it harder basically.

It's because the Relic is killing you. V is on his/her last legs.
Which is not in the other endings. It's stupid and a lazy way to make it "harder". Do actual work on the AI to make it harder. Make the boss strategically be difficult. Not, mess with my HP cause reason. I can't stand games that cheat for you to lose. Saints Row 2 had done a similar thing in one of their side games. You would fight more and more people in a closed wrestling ring. They would disable health regeneration. Fine, its fair to the enemies. But they did give you a safety net. If they tried to kill you with a finisher. If you mashed a button fast enough you break out and not die.

But, if you where really good at button mashing. The game would eventually cheat and make it impossible to beat the meter. I tested this with a macro. It hit the button 100 times a second. I still lost. So it's rigged. Stop cheating to make games harder. Do it through actual skill.

Last edited:
Stop cheating to make games harder. Do it through actual skill.

Well probably the game FEAR actually beat me to this, however...

I made an Oblivion mod that was in part a proof of concept to show even in 2009 with the OBLIVION engine it was possible to make NPC fight with "skill" instead of these kinds of lazy tricks. To be fair it is probably not "LAZY" but rather just ignorance (not all game coders know how to actually fight):

Last edited:
I've been playing with hud off so didn't realized i had less hp, but it was still so easy it disappointed me. I desperately need mod that halves v hp and multiply enemy hpx10.

Game is setting up secret ending, calls it suicide mission, but you go there, your guns go brrrrrr for 5 sec, you win. I was sad;/

Music was epic though:)

Various alternate ending spoilers below:

Game is setting up secret ending, calls it suicide mission.

Way better than the ACTUAL suicide ending. Geezzzuuuusss that was @#^&%$ depressing! Your friends send therapeutic type video to your still active message center and they yell at you about how disappointed they are and very VERY angry with you for giving up especially after they invested so much to help you. Judy has to suffer having TWO friends kill themselves within a matter of weeks. Your best friend says she hopes you are rotting in hell for wasting the time you had left...

Although you do get the same hate if you DIE while trying to take the tower yourself as that was a kind of suicide also I guess.

Music was epic though:)

From your mouth to God's ear! I hope people remember that! How did the DEV do such a #%^&%# great job on the music and then stub their toes on the rest of the game? God dam shame. However I still believe in the end history will remember Cyberpunk 2077 as a virtual world classic and an industry changing game, someday, after official patches and a few years of mods!

Edit: I just realized this is the first game in 20 years I played while listing to the music AND LIKED IT! Normally I turn the music off in such games so I can clearly hear the footsteps and other sound clues/warnings in the game.

Last edited:
So I went "don't fear the reaper" and the first thing was "o crap I cannot save at all thru the entire series of battles!".
The second thing was "OH CRAP I am only allowed to heal up to %50 of normal health!"

So despite my instant foreboding at the start of that, I actually did make it thru on the first time thanks to my Satori Katana. Wow that weapon even sliced thru Adam Smasher soooooo easy! In a small way I was disappointed how easy that was. On the other hand I did specifically PLAN for the fight to be no problem by grinding all my stats up as high as possible!

So here is my question, what the HECK was the reason that suddenly I had only half my life? Is this just a lazy way DEV made the game "harder" or was there some in game reason that I missed? At first I thought this was a bug but I see on youtube this is normal. But NOWHERE is any explanation for this.

its starts higher and gets lower, I'm not sure if its time, or event based, but it represents your failing health. I think its good it makes it actually feel like your times almost up. in the other endings, felt like I was fine then suddenly as I get close to the interface, weak as a baby.

But yeah Adam smasher had no chance, but at that point would have sucked if he killed me, so I'm OK with it.

I actually thought that was because I buffed myself eating every power up I found in my backpack. Like, "oh, I think I cannot auto regen the 50% extra life I got"

So here is my question, what the HECK was the reason that suddenly I had only half my life? ...
Bad ecology. Lots of messages about it in the game. Plus i bet you ate all kinds of fast food, too. Bad for one's health. Be glad you were still half alive, choom. Could be worse.

Is this just a lazy way DEV made the game "harder" or was there some in game reason that I missed? ...
Nope, not lazy at all. Lazy would be to up the damage of all enemies in the mission 2x. Which ultimately would produce same result, except you would never notice. And you'd probably be praising how appropriatly tough last mission is, too.

Sigh. Amoebas.

From what I saw in don’t fear the reaper V does not take either of the two pills so I assume the relic increases in its instability. Which is why V’s health is cut during the mission. Both V and Johnny are control but it seems Johnny is allowing V to make the psychical action decisions.

From what I saw in don’t fear the reaper V does not take either of the two pills so I assume the relic increases in its instability. Which is why V’s health is cut during the mission. Both V and Johnny are control but it seems Johnny is allowing V to make the psychical action decisions.
We don't take pills through the whole game. Everyone thought this would be a action we'd be doing. Again, all of a sudden this matters. You have to be consistent in the whole game for this to work.

I desperately need mod that halves v hp and multiply enemy hpx10.
When will ppl finally learn that making giving enemies more HP doesnt not meant HARDER. Borderlands did that and it just turned enemies into bullet sponges which is the most boring experience known to man. Enemies using strategies like flanking, cover fire or rushing is what makes it hard and interesting. Not this stupid shit when i have to use 2 clips to kill a freaking rat.

Nope, not lazy at all. Lazy would be to up the damage of all enemies in the mission 2x. Which ultimately would produce same result, except you would never notice. And you'd probably be praising how appropriatly tough last mission is, too.
Sigh. Amoebas.

no, no, no, not right at all, I wanted an EASY ending so I GRIND until I was maxed on my weapons and level and perks to do the endgame. Good hard enemies come from clever combat AI not being a bullet sponge!

no, no, no, not right at all, I wanted an EASY ending so I GRIND until I was maxed on my weapons and level and perks to do the endgame. Good hard enemies come from clever combat AI not being a bullet sponge!
You think? For some, maybe it'd be enough, but - not for everyone. Certain amount of "unfairness" is still needed, like it or not, for NPC opponents to actually be worthy challenge. That's not to disagree about better NPC AI being much needed in the game - indeed, it is. Just not sifficient, still, to have what you and so many others want to have. If we are completely straight about it.

See, clever combat AI in an FPS game - has its limits. See, human brain has vast ability to predict, to intuitively foresee, to adapt, which no game alhorhytm so far created could achive. Nothing close to. Here's proof: one of most advanced quake bots suffeing 17:0 loss by a good quake player, and you just check the frags after 10 - the guy warmed up, those are indeed some very nice old-school frags, some proper map control too; the bot had no chances whatsoever:

You think? For some, maybe it'd be enough, but - not for everyone. Certain amount of "unfairness" is still needed, like it or not, for NPC opponents to actually be worthy challenge. That's not to disagree about better NPC AI being much needed in the game - indeed, it is. Just not sifficient, still, to have what you and so many others want to have. If we are completely straight about it.

See, clever combat AI in an FPS game - has its limits. See, human brain has vast ability to predict, to intuitively foresee, to adapt, which no game alhorhytm so far created could achive. Nothing close to. Here's proof: one of most advanced quake bots suffeing 17:0 loss by a good quake player, and you just check the frags after 10 - the guy warmed up, those are indeed some very nice old-school frags, some proper map control too; the bot had no chances whatsoever:

OK maybe we agree and do not realize it then. But the goal in game design (for now) is not to duplicate human, it is to create the illusion of it. I feel I did a good proof of concept in my combat mod years ago for Oblivion. Fear did a darn good job in their AAA game.

The devs needed harder and needed thematically epic. Something to make striding through the front door of Arasaka ala a Morpheus rescue truly different. They already pumped the levels. They already, very fittingly, made it one strike and you're out.

Between "yes, lets go spend another two years writing the enemy AI", "add bullet sponge" and "what is something that's pretty cool, fits the picture, and is easy to implement...plus is consistent with leaving both entities rocking in V's head at once", well they went with the latter.

I mean, it's only "Lazy" if you count "Lazy" as "did not reinvest months-years of effort and tens of millions of dollars on an AI re-write." To use the oblivion example from earlier, Oblivion released in 2006 and it was 3 years of work on top of the base AI before a comparatively simple set of "block, dodge, parry, circle, light strike, strong strike" was ready for MOD release, let alone commercial (and as you might have guessed, it also "cheats" by simply speeding up the AI reaction time so when you swing it can process a dodge faster, which looks more "skillful" than having more HP).

The devs needed harder and needed thematically epic. Something to make striding through the front door of Arasaka ala a Morpheus rescue truly different. They already pumped the levels. They already, very fittingly, made it one strike and you're out.

Between "yes, lets go spend another two years writing the enemy AI", "add bullet sponge" and "what is something that's pretty cool, fits the picture, and is easy to implement...plus is consistent with leaving both entities rocking in V's head at once", well they went with the latter.

This seems to sum up the answer right here. It WAS something (clever) I missed as I said it might be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom