[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
All they had to do to make this better is to include at least one dialogue option where V doesn't sound like they're down in the dumps. But all of them have various shades of "I'm dead inside." The Sun had so much potential to be a "happy" ending like The Star but now I have to cling to like two lines of dialogue so I wouldn't feel like the game is going "should have picked Panam."

THANK YOU

It’s the imbalance in the endings that drives me up the walls. If they were going to do it like that they needed to make the happy one actually happy for all the character’s LI. They intentionally wrote it that in the Sun ending, the male interests stay BUT V is being insufferable and cold. Kerry’s voicemail is just him begging to spend some time with you because he has no idea where you’re at. How is that the “happy” ending for people who wanted to keep Kerry?

It feels like it was another choice we were allowed to make that doesn’t actually matter. Kerry and River will never actually be as important to any given V as Panam and Judy, romanced or not. In future DLC Panam and Judy will come along as companions and River/Kerry will send a postcard or something lol

Last edited:
I dont really understand this take "In Cyberpunk world nothing is for free. Is expected in Cyberpunk story to not be all nice and dandy".
I think that for V saving himself would be very fair: they work hard and reach mikoshi, he lost people around him/her and help others.
Post automatically merged:

If can help to further prove your point:
this is from The Devil credit calls
View attachment 11173973

good grab, full stop. however, what i was referring to is the menu, where it displays V's fame rating, the johnny meter and the relic death timer. now doing the nomad ending after mikoshi, where you and panam are talking on the dam, i checked the "i" menu, and the V meter clearly states that V has reached legend status, so i'm guessing it's the same with most of the endings, except the suicide non-ending.

well, in most endings (besides the non ending), the blurb seems to say V's already a legend. or at least that's what it said in the menu just before the epilogue on my play throughs. i haven't checked the other endings myself, as i haven't made a character that didn't pick the nomad ending. why, one... none of my characters trusted saka an inch (especially my corpo assassin) so that ending is out, two... my characters wanted to playthings out personally, didn't feel right for them to hand the reigns over to someone else to get them out of their own predicament. so all the johnny takes the wheels endings are out. so that leaves only nomads, not that i'm complaining, don't think they'd have liked the others. am i being railroaded to pick that one ending?

and so the war begins a new, and once again the cycle continues... is there even an end to this? i don't even think we got 5 pages from the last post like this.

if you get 70% with Johnny and wait 5 minutes you get another option to get to sun ending without renting your body to johnny

if you get 70% with Johnny and wait 5 minutes you get another option to get to sun ending without renting your body to johnny

2 things, i can only seem to get as high as 60%, and i'd also have to stare at johnny and the gun for those 5 minutes, don't think my characters would have done that either (assuming that's correct), but i guess i just need to make an indecisive character, and that playthrough is likely going to be 4 times as long, if i ever finish it... lol

2 things, i can only seem to get as high as 60%, and i'd also have to stare at johnny and the gun for those 5 minutes, don't think my characters would have done that either (assuming that's correct), but i guess i just need to make an indecisive character, and that playthrough is likely going to be 4 times as long, if i ever finish it... lol

At the oil fields in the Chippin' In quest, follow these exact dialogue choices:
  • "The Guy who Saved My Life"
  • "What do you want from me?"
  • "OK. But as second chances go, this is your last."
  • "When you said you let down your friends..."
  • "Yeah, I'll call Rogue."
That's the only way to do it apparently (or not), and that's how I unlocked it. Tell him you think he and Rogue should go, then wait.

Last edited:

Guest 4519094

That's the only way to do it apparently, and that's how I unlocked it.

it's not, many youtubers and streamers got the secret ending with other combinations of dialogue and actions

but

this sequence guarantees to unlock the secret ending on it's own.

Guest 4412420

It feels like it was another choice we were allowed to make that doesn’t actually matter. Kerry and River will never actually be as important to any given V as Panam and Judy, romanced or not. In future DLC Panam and Judy will come along as companions and River/Kerry will send a postcard or something lol
I know you're joking but sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if something like this happened. Imagine we end up getting a Crystal Palace expansion. Guys get shipped off somewhere, while Judy and Panam build a space shuttle out of scrap so they could be with V.

At the oil fields in the Chippin' In quest, follow these exact dialogue choices:
"The Guy who Saved My Life"
Actually, you don't need to pick this line. I picked "The Relentless Rockerboy" and still got the 70%. I think that picking the "No you fucked that up too" when Johnny says he's glad he didn't mess up what he has with V is the important option.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's not, many youtubers and streamers got the secret ending with other combinations of dialogue and actions

but

this sequence guarantees to unlock the secret ending on it's own.
Good god, how. I tried twice and only was able to do it with that sequence on the third time. GAH, JOHNNY

good grab, full stop. however, what i was referring to is the menu, where it displays V's fame rating, the johnny meter and the relic death timer. now doing the nomad ending after mikoshi, where you and panam are talking on the dam, i checked the "i" menu, and the V meter clearly states that V has reached legend status, so i'm guessing it's the same with most of the endings, except the suicide non-ending.

JFYI...

• Acomplishing the endings The Sun and The Star will give V the reputation of Legend at 100%. The Temperance ending will lock it on Edgerunner at 90%. It's unknown for The Devil ending as the player cannot open the menu during the last quest.
Link

so, i use the cyber engine tweaks mod, and decided to use the set johnny to 70% console command on a PNR save game, and i have to say as far as fun goes, that was the best ending, just being death incarnate and hearing that one guard say "it's just one merc..." laughed my a** off

and as for as the epilogue massages, and the bit with judy... most of the messages were fine (the judy bit a lot less so), a few weren't. Vik's and judy's come to mind. well, i guess overall sun is second best ending, as happy judy is the only true ending, imho. lol

---edit) so, the sun would be a good ending if v wasn't pushing everyone away, for as far as i can tell no good reason.

I just played and finished original Deus Ex. I haven't played it ever before.
What caught my attention is that the plot is amazing, like all the conspiracy theories ever created, put into one game. Hard to understand what's going on till the end. Loved the story and choices and consequences.

I recommend playing the original Deus Ex to all the fans of cyberpunk-genre who have not yet played it. It's a masterpiece in my opnion. The graphics are of course outdated but the mechanics of the game are actually pretty similiar if not the same in big portions to the newer Deus Ex games. So Im putting the story of DE into spoliers if you haven't played it yet.

Funny how the same plot-idea was used in CP77:

JC denton had a killswitch that was put into him by the UNATCO or MJ12 and he had to remove it, by going to some underground scientist in Hong Kong and he just removed like that, main character even asked: "and that's it?, the scientist responded: "just like that, just a switch" and it worked. It reminded me of the plot of CP77, because it is ofcourse the same as "you have a bomb in your head, V. Gotta take it out", but in DE it is resolved almost constantly, while in CP77 the whole plot is based on this - imagine if it became just a portion of the game in CP77, you go to Vic or some scientist he remove it and the game goes on. It would be kinda funny and stupid even in a way... but if it could have been just a portion of the story, it would be better imo, and it could actually work if the plot would go on with some kind of conspiracy going on(virus/tracker/live-engraming of v in the biochip? possibillites are endless in this universe) that could engage player's attention to that, rather than going with the ticking bomb scenario all the way. The endings of CP77 don't bring a sense of accomplishment that the DE brings.
It was funny for a moment but well, the plot was so thick that this "killswitch" was just a tiny piece of the whole puzzle, so I just shrugged and moved on. Shame that in Cyberpunk it was sooo artifically prolonged by the plotcancer. I would rather play a character that is not constantly under pressure from the ticking bomb in his/her head and can actually make his own decisions like in DE, than roleplay a character that not only is not cool but cannot make his own decisions and is egoistic and self-centered a$$hole. If the ticking bomb is a part of the story - cool, if it is a whole game's plot - weird and stressful for the player. No wonder many players finished CP77 in 25 h going through the whole main quest, rather than messing around with police fetch quests. The game design in this part of CP77 is just weird, while in DE it plays a significant role for the story.

Also, the endings are kinda similiar to CP77:

- Merge with AI - well going to cyberspace/staying with Alt seems kinda the same
- Join the illuminati - you can get your mind trapped in mikoshi that's kinda like it
- Put the World into another dark age by destroying global communications and electronics network - this choice is unique to Deus Ex, actually but maybe in CP77 DLC it will go into this "revolution" scenario where things go really really wrong for the corpos

Anyway had waaaay more fun playing this old game, than playing CP77, and that tells you something about games these days (or about me ;)).

The game was really hard, I was playing on easy and died like hundred times :ROFLMAO: It was frustrating sometimes, because I was not saving often (accustomed to autosave, forgot that the saving feature exist sometimes),but eventually it brought me satisfaction in completing some of it's harder parts. It feels DE was made with a lot of passion and attention to details, for such an old game (20 years old? ugh... Jesus, time goes fast) it is still quite fun and cool. It was really ahead of it's time.

Comparing the games now would not be fair of course but I would rather play more Deus Ex than Cyberpunk - I have played and finished the newer ones DE:HR and DE:MD ofcourse. Maybe if CP77 will get some massive overhaul, maybe... but in this state right now... it is Deus Ex 1:0 Cyberpunk 2077 in my book.

Also,
GEP GUN!
Why so few rocket launchers in CP77??? There is only one you can have in your arm... Shame...

PS.
V's reaction to ticking bomb inside of him/her:
:cry:

JC Denton's reaction to killswitch:
:cool:
Deus Ex games always hit the home run for me with everything that i was expecting from cyberpunk game. I was hoping for the same from CP77x just with more flexible/blank template character.

But this game looks like being a patchwork story, and maybe the Act 1 was made with this in mind, later they went with the personal story, with little cyberpunk true vibes (corpos, conspiracy theories, high tech low life), but also on this point they somehow get the wrong impression that cyberpunk = grimdark.
problem is that both kind of stories (personal with likable characters) and grimdark with failure is the only option doesn’t mix well.
Not to mention that Eidos Montreal was able to write a proper personal story with Adam Jensen without sacrificing the over all vibe of the genre.

Story in CP77 is personal and on the first run good/emotional (minus the linearity and plot cancer) but for me it’s not a material for something that is meant to aged well.
Game is relying on the gfx, ost, “fresh factor” and the fact that there is currently little competition on the market, but as more games will be released it going to show its true rather bad colors.

Last edited:
alt specifically tells us she's going to use soulkiller to separate v and johnny.

In that scene V understands her "idea" as getting flatlined, not as getting brain wiped. AI Alt never corrects V about that misunderstanding and Johnny brushes it all aside, as if AI Alt's plan was any good, despite her saying that it would "change everything".

I already said it several times over the last 800 pages. The Blackwall dialogue is the lowest point of the story, because the player is forced to agree to that idiotic plan, which ends with our protagonist getting brain wiped, which means that orignal V dies and is replaced with engram V. And we have no way to disagree at any point, except go for the Arasaka ending (or suicide), which opens up a whole other can of worms.

I'd argue Deus Ex is more of a dystopian thriller rather than cyberpunk.

Different strokes, and there are similarities between them in both story, themes and gameplay.

You seem to prefer a rather politicized theme based on threads of conspiracy that spans the globe, while Cyberpunk provided something closer to Ghost in The Shell rather than Deus Ex/Blade Runner.

Which is fine, just don't see the issue with enjoying both for what they are - something that some people seem to be struggling with due to the story arc presented in the first chapter versus the story afterwards.

I firmly believe it's a case of subversion of expectations, which for a lot of people worked in it's favor as one could never tell where the story could have been going, which I'd wager kept a lot of people engaged, me included.

Nowadays it's really easy to tell where the story is going in pretty much any form of fiction, and I think it's a sign of the narrative's strength in Cyberpunk that it took everyone for a wild ride and then pulled the carpet from underneath them quite a few times without them expecting it.

Fair enough, you may disagree with the literary mechanisms used to do it which may or may not make sense depending on your relative suspension of disbelief, but to outright say that the story was bad because it didn't go the way you expected is in a way fallacious I'd say.

I already said it several times over the last 800 pages. The Blackwall dialogue is the lowest point of the story, because the player is forced to agree to that idiotic plan, which ends with our protagonist getting brain wiped, which means that orignal V dies and is replaced with engram V. And we have no way to disagree at any point, except go for the Arasaka ending (or suicide), which opens up a whole other can of worms.

Well, not really, the player can chose another ending based on the information provided by Alt and the information V gathered by living with a Johnny engram in their head and experiencing the pivotal moments where Johnny and Alt get ''soulkilled'', it's up to the player to determine if it's worth it to follow through with alt.

There's nothing to disagree, V is on their last legs, there's no other option when they follow through with either The Sun or The Star endings.

Basically disagreeing would mean V giving up the body to Johnny, it's as simple as that, now if you believe digital V is just a copy, they're dead anyway so there's no issue there either.

Cyberpunk as a genre, is a dark world and happy endings are seldom part of it. The game still has one optimistic ending, which I thought was perfect. In my humble opinion, this game is a unique piece of art.

No, nope, sorry....

I'm really trying to be nice and helpful here.

Over the last 800 pages we had countless moments where a fresh user popped in and said that Cyberpunk is inherently a dark world, where things usually don't end well.

But this is a misunderstanding, CP was never created as some kind of grimdark world where failure is 99% of the outcomes. This was never Mike Pondsmith's (the creator of Cyberpunk, who worked with CDPR) vision, cause he knew that a world, where the players cannot win, makes a very poor gaming or story-telling vehicle.

Please read the interviews with him, Google is your friend.

Some quotes from Pondsmith:

“Characters in Cyberpunk are heroes, and survive and do well because they are willing to fight for family or friends, for their neighbourhoods,”

“When I wrote Cyberpunk back in the day, the idea was to show a dark mirror of the world we have been shaping since the 1980s. It was a warning, yes, but I also made all of you the heroes of this dystopian world. You weren’t there to be ground underfoot like Rick Deckard, or exploited and enslaved like Roy Batty. You were there to grab the wheel, steal the power, break the strangleholds of the corrupt and gun down the thugs they sent to crush you."

In that scene V understands her "idea" as getting flatlined, not as getting brain wiped. AI Alt never corrects V about that misunderstanding and Johnny brushes it all aside, as if AI Alt's plan was any good, despite her saying that it would "change everything".

you don't have to agree, but you only have a few options
No, nope, sorry....

I'm really trying to be nice and helpful here.

Over the last 800 pages we had countless moments where a fresh user popped in and said that Cyberpunk is inherently a dark world, where things usually don't end well.

But this is a misunderstanding, CP was never created as some kind of grimdark world where failure is 99% of the outcomes. This was never Mike Pondsmith's (the creator of Cyberpunk, who worked with CDPR) vision, cause he knew that a world, where the players cannot win, makes a very poor gaming or story-telling vehicle.

Please read the interviews with him, Google is your friend.

Some quotes from Pondsmith:

“Characters in Cyberpunk are heroes, and survive and do well because they are willing to fight for family or friends, for their neighbourhoods,”

“When I wrote Cyberpunk back in the day, the idea was to show a dark mirror of the world we have been shaping since the 1980s. It was a warning, yes, but I also made all of you the heroes of this dystopian world. You weren’t there to be ground underfoot like Rick Deckard, or exploited and enslaved like Roy Batty. You were there to grab the wheel, steal the power, break the strangleholds of the corrupt and gun down the thugs they sent to crush you."
this is definitely true.

However, youre not superman.

and it would take a movement to change the overall world. But yea, its not grimdark by my standards.

but neither is this game.

Well, not really, the player can chose another ending based on the information provided by Alt and the information V gathered by living with a Johnny engram in their head and experiencing the pivotal moments where Johnny and Alt get ''soulkilled'', it's up to the player to determine if it's worth it to follow through with alt.

There's nothing to disagree, V is on their last legs, there's no other option when they follow through with either The Sun or The Star endings.

Basically disagreeing would mean V giving up the body to Johnny, it's as simple as that, now if you believe digital V is just a copy, they're dead anyway so there's no issue there either.

At the time of the Blackwall mission point we are barely halfway through the game and V has not suffered from the more severe side effects of the chip yet. There is also no talk about giving the body to Johnny, we are far away from that.

What we know at that point is, that Soulkiller is the worst thing that can happen to a Netrunner, that it kills off the original person and creates a digital engram, which may or may not be a 1:1 copy. AI Alt also warns us that the name Soulkiller was picked because that is exactly what it did, namely "Kill the soul".

Now it does not matter if someone is religious or not, because "Killing the soul" should serve as general warning, namely that Soulkiller is not capable of preserving the original person and that something will be lost when you are transformed into an engram.

That getting turned into an engram also means that the original will be brain wiped (I think Hellman explains that in depth) is completely skipped during the Blackwall debate, there is only talk about getting flatlined, which already happened to V at the end of Act 1, so at this point we don't see it as big deal, cause getting flatlined did not wipe out our memories, otherwise V would have woken up as zombie.

And the worst thing is that V, in this scene, shows absolutety no sense of self preservation, despite knowing what the software does and despite having seen Johnny's memories, where the tech that soulkilled him, said "There are fates worse than death".

Why would someone, who has shown that they value their own life and don't want to die, agree to something like that? It makes no sense.

Last edited:
I'd argue Deus Ex is more of a dystopian thriller rather than cyberpunk.

Different strokes, and there are similarities between them in both story, themes and gameplay.

You seem to prefer a rather politicized theme based on threads of conspiracy that spans the globe, while Cyberpunk provided something closer to Ghost in The Shell rather than Deus Ex/Blade Runner.

Which is fine, just don't see the issue with enjoying both for what they are - something that some people seem to be struggling with due to the story arc presented in the first chapter versus the story afterwards.

I firmly believe it's a case of subversion of expectations, which for a lot of people worked in it's favor as one could never tell where the story could have been going, which I'd wager kept a lot of people engaged, me included.

Nowadays it's really easy to tell where the story is going in pretty much any form of fiction, and I think it's a sign of the narrative's strength in Cyberpunk that it took everyone for a wild ride and then pulled the carpet from underneath them quite a few times without them expecting it.

Fair enough, you may disagree with the literary mechanisms used to do it which may or may not make sense depending on your relative suspension of disbelief, but to outright say that the story was bad because it didn't go the way you expected is in a way fallacious I'd say.

Wow and Ghost in the Shell was about...? Not conspiracy theories and grander schemes? Like there was not Puppet Master and Section 9? Major was only a nick name and Kasanagi was trying to survive as a sort of loner with the time bomb in her head after her parter in crime Batou was killed in the Heist went terrible wrong?

C’mon in this fashion we can even argue that The Sprawl Trilogy was just noir in future and not cyberpunk

The subversion of expectations can be done if the whole story is coherent and is being written by skilled writer with this idea in mind from the beginning.
For me CP77 ofc relies on this concept but it’s execution due to mane reasons is done poorly. This is why for me this story and it’s lore with characters if not changed in the meaningful way are rather short lived.

Last edited:
you don't have to agree, but you only have a few options

this is definitely true.

However, youre not superman.

and it would take a movement to change the overall world. But yea, its not grimdark by my standards.

but neither is this game.

Now, I'm not trying to mock you here, so please take this in the friendliest way possible. But back in December 2020 I created "The List", and every time someone says "The game is not grimdark" I repost it.....so here we go :D

• Dozens of red flags about Dex. Must accept the plan
  • T-Bug gets fried while hacking. I can't help her
  • Saburo's AC has a tablet with a quest icon in it. (A cut escape route?). It does nothing
  • Jackie bleeds out from a small wound. I stare in his eyes while carrying 30 medpacks
  • Dex's bodyguard one-hits me. I have 10+ points in Body and subdermal armor
  • Jackie's body sent to Victor to spare Mama Welles the pain. Arasaka steals the body
  • Takemura steals my revenge on Dex
  • The Delamain is suddenly capable of giving medical advice
  • I got a terrorist in my head and only weeks to live
  • Johnny tried to kill me
  • I'm forced to work with Arasaka stooge Takemura
  • Jackie's Ofrenda :cry:
  • Misty is sad
  • Mama Welles is super sad
  • Evelyn Parker dies in the worst way possible (poor Judy)
  • Voodoo Fucks manipulate me
  • Netwatch Fucks manipulate me
  • AI Alt tells me she will flatline me. I must accept
  • Scorpion dies
  • I can't kill Hellman
  • I can't kill Hanako
  • I can't kill Yorinobu
  • I can't delete Saburo's engram (I mean on a more personal level, not just feed him to AI Alt)
  • I commit suicide, cause every outcome is bad
  • Smasher kills Rogue (we can only watch, cause we suck)
  • Smasher kills Saul (we can only watch, cause we suck)
  • Adam Smasher is a lame final boss - all game long I had no relation to him
  • Hanako breaks her promise and Arasaka performs a lobotomy on me - I'm disabled with 6 months to live
  • AI Alt zaps me with Soulkiller - I die. There's only my engram now
  • AI Alt breaks her promise and cannot save me. My engram only has 6 months to live
  • Johnny gets my body. Leaves town. Suddenly no longer cares about Arasaka

...and so on....one letdown after the other....​

Last edited:
Now, I'm not trying to mock you here, so please take this in the friendliest way possible. But back in December 2020 I created "The List", and every time someone says "The game is not grimdark" I repost it.....so here we go :D

• Dozens of red flags about Dex. Must accept the plan
  • T-Bug gets fried while hacking. I can't help her
  • Saburo's AC has a tablet with a quest icon in it. (A cut escape route?). It does nothing
  • Jackie bleeds out from a small wound. I stare in his eyes while carrying 30 medpacks
  • Dex's bodyguard one-hits me. I have 10+ points in Body and subdermal armor
  • Jackie's body sent to Victor to spare Mama Welles the pain. Arasaka steals the body
  • Takemura steals my revenge on Dex
  • The Delamain is suddenly capable of giving medical advice
  • I got a terrorist in my head and only weeks to live
  • Johnny tried to kill me
  • I'm forced to work with Arasaka stooge Takemura
  • Jackie's Ofrenda :cry:
  • Misty is sad
  • Mama Welles is super sad
  • Evelyn Parker dies in the worst way possible (poor Judy)
  • Voodoo Fucks manipulate me
  • Netwatch Fucks manipulate me
  • AI Alt tells me she will flatline me. I must accept
  • Scorpion dies
  • I can't kill Hellman
  • I can't kill Hanako
  • I can't kill Yorinobu
  • I can't delete Saburo's engram (I mean on a more personal level, not just feed him to AI Alt)
  • I commit suicide, cause every outcome is bad
  • Smasher kills Rogue (we can only watch, cause we suck)
  • Smasher kills Saul (we can only watch, cause we suck)
  • Adam Smasher is a lame final boss - all game long I had no relation to him
  • Hanako breaks her promise and Arasaka performs a lobotomy on me - I'm disabled with 6 months to live
  • AI Alt zaps me with Soulkiller - I die. There's only my engram now
  • AI Alt breaks her promise and cannot save me. My engram only has 6 months to live
  • Johnny gets my body. Leaves town. Suddenly no longer cares about Arasaka
  • ...and so on....one letdown after the other....
And one more time: compare this to Deus Ex. What is the message here?
The message from Deus Ex: Don't trust governments and corporations basically.
The message from Cyberpunk 2077: Eeeehm... Don't do anything because it will go wrong? I don't know, someone explain this to me :shrug:

At the time of the Blackwall mission point we are barely halfway through the game and V has not suffered from the more severe side effects of the chip yet. There is also no talk about giving the body to Johnny, we are far away from that.

What we know at that point is, that Soulkiller is the worst thing that can happen to a Netrunner, that it kills off the original person and creates a digital engram, which may or may not be a 1:1 copy. AI Alt also warns us that the name Soulkiller was picked because that is exactly what it did, namely "Kill the soul".

Now it does not matter if someone is religious or not, because "Killing the soul" should serve as general warning, namely that Soulkiller is not capable of preserving the original person and that something will be lost when you are transformed into an engram.

That getting turned into an engram also means that the original will be brain wiped (I think Hellman explains that in depth) is completely skipped, there is only talk about getting flatlined, which already happened to V at the end of Act 1, so at this point we don't see it as big deal, cause getting flatlined did not wipe out our memories, otherwise V would have woken up as zombie.

And the worst thing is that V, in this scene, shows absolutety no sense of self preservation, despite knowing what the software does and despite having seen Johnny's memories, where the tech that soulkilled him, said "There are fates worse than death".

Why would someone, who has shown that they value their own life and don't want to die, agree to something like that? It makes no sense.

But this was my original point, V doesn't have to agree to any of that, it's just one option, the other is getting erased at that point and another one presents itself later on through Hanako.

Top Bottom