Cyber Engine Tweaks [on Nexus again]

+
Apparently it was removed because of a disagreement with the moderators over his addition of telemetry to the mod.

Why is telemetry bad?
In this particular case it probably isn't, because the author of the mod seems to be pretty honest about it. But from the perspective of Nexus, I suppose that they don't want to set a precedent for accepting the practice. That's just a wild guess on my part -- I don't really know. But on Github, this was provided as the reason.

Honestly, I tested it out of curiosity and my game was much less efficient with this mod ... after I am on RTX.

Well this is certainly awkward given that CET is a dependency for like half of all the mods on the nexus...

There are some details missing, which a discussion with the mod author on the day they uploaded the telemetry-version sheds light on.

The problem that some people had with that decision was that, although the author had been upfront about it, telemetry was turned on by default and switching it off was only possible by editing some config file (at the time at least).

Tinkering with your json files is something that modders are used to, but the average mod-user who installs mods with a mod-manager is not used to dive deeper in their files.

So people voiced their concern that the telemetry was switched on by default after installation. And there are users who update their mods, like CET, without reading the changelog and without being aware of the telemetry thing.

The mod-author stated that this was the point, as they wanted to get a better overview about how many people were really using CET, so that enabled telemetry was involuntary the default was intentionally.

I am not claiming that this is or was the reason for removing CET from Nexus, but this information was missing from the discussion.

I would bet a weeks Twinkies that another mod creator will fill in the gap. After I left mod making (not because of Nexus but because of Bethesda) dozens of copies of my mods pop up down the road.

That's my expectation and experience as well.

Also, who's to say that all the other modders who's mods depended on CET, won't just include an old version of CET in their mod release or just incorporate CET into their own mods?

From the last Nexus CET:
Cyber Engine Tweaks said:
MIT License

Copyright (c) 2018 yamashi

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.

Not that I'm trying to run anyone out of business, but can I get caught up on the reasoning why CDPR removed or never granted access to the CP console, as they did in other games?

Not that I'm trying to run anyone out of business, but can I get caught up on the reasoning why CDPR removed or never granted access to the CP console, as they did in other games?

My gut feeling at the time was they were desperate to prevent any unnecessary glitches caused by users messing with it while they tried to patch the game. At the time I really thought they would replace it after they got their game under control.

These days I am not as sure about that. My paranoid side fears it is because of the multiplayer they want to include. This always happens when a game gets multiplayer features and they want to try to lock down the cheating. They remove code level control from the users. This is why fallout 76 will never get powerful LEAGAL mods. You cannot let users make significant changes to the game mechanics AND prevent cheating at the same time. The only practical way I see them doing that (Bethesda with 76) is to offer sperate servers with the game on it and THAT will cost MONEY. IF they actually did that guess whos pays for it?

FFFF EEN AY!!!! Bethesda finally finds a way to get players to pay for mods... :rolleyes:

anyway, as the cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer is suppose to be done by a third party, that would indicate it would be separate from the singleplayer code.

But who knows...

Last edited:
My gut feeling at the time was they were desperate to prevent any unnecessary glitches caused by users messing with it while they tried to patch the game. At the time I really thought they would replace it after they got their game under control.

Thanks!

There are some details missing, which a discussion with the mod author on the day they uploaded the telemetry-version sheds light on.

The problem that some people had with that decision was that, although the author had been upfront about it, telemetry was turned on by default and switching it off was only possible by editing some config file (at the time at least).

Tinkering with your json files is something that modders are used to, but the average mod-user who installs mods with a mod-manager is not used to dive deeper in their files.

So people voiced their concern that the telemetry was switched on by default after installation. And there are users who update their mods, like CET, without reading the changelog and without being aware of the telemetry thing.

The mod-author stated that this was the point, as they wanted to get a better overview about how many people were really using CET, so that enabled telemetry was involuntary the default was intentionally.

I am not claiming that this is or was the reason for removing CET from Nexus, but this information was missing from the discussion.

From the beginning, the option was visible in the settings tab on the overlay. You didn't need to edit anything, just click the box or unclick it. Now for the rest of you, if you have a problem with the mod not being available on the nexus, take it up with the nexus staff and their moderator that decided to come onto the github page and throw out insults.

Last edited:
I have removed it from Nexus because Nexus wanted to take control over what I can or cannot do with my mod, namely pinging a server to count the number of concurrent users. Contrary to what you can read in this thread, no data was or is collected, I just increment a number when I get a ping, nothing more. This is also very simple to disable in the settings menu or in the json configuration files.

After that a moderator from Nexus moved on to the github issues and publicly insulted me, I think it is fair to say I won't be coming back to Nexus.

Seeing as the first reaction is to try to screw the authors' wishes by exploiting the fact we are nice enough to provide a liberal license, I am starting to wonder if a license change is in order.

That's my expectation and experience as well.

Also, who's to say that all the other modders who's mods depended on CET, won't just include an old version of CET in their mod release or just incorporate CET into their own mods?

From the last Nexus CET:

Thats going to be problematic surely? Every time the game gets patched, I get a version.dll exception and the game won't even start. This is a library used by CET. The solution has always been to disable CET and wait for the update.

I have removed it from Nexus because Nexus wanted to take control over what I can or cannot do with my mod, namely pinging a server to count the number of concurrent users. Contrary to what you can read in this thread, no data was or is collected, I just increment a number when I get a ping, nothing more. This is also very simple to disable in the settings menu or in the json configuration files.

After that a moderator from Nexus moved on to the github issues and publicly insulted me, I think it is fair to say I won't be coming back to Nexus.

Seeing as the first reaction is to try to screw the authors' wishes by exploiting the fact we are nice enough to provide a liberal license, I am starting to wonder if a license change is in order.

It should be disabled by default in my opinion, since I don't think users would be happy sharing their public IP (even more so if it's a static one), which I think is happening here.

You can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Or you can just not use the mod if this is unacceptable for you.

Ofcourse, that's everyone's prerogative.

But you should know this is a very valid reason for
a) removing the mod from Nexus
b) having a pretty big asterix next to your mod.

Because you're gathering personal data for no functional reason.

Top Bottom