Lets just be realistic... and look to the sequel.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have sold more than 10 milion copies at launch. They spent more than 200 milions on marketing. They have the money, so there's no excuse, they can finish the game (which means adding content in terms of quest design, choices and consequences, reactivity to player's choices, activities in the open world). If they won't do it it won't be because of lack of money.
Post automatically merged:

Not entirely true. They have clearly built the itemization and the core gameplay as a looter shooter, to make the transition to the multiplayer easier. The multiplayer has ruined the singleplayer.

the core combat gameplay involves Guns, which is a big part of the source material.

however the gun play is RPGized and stats/level/build matter most. The overall gameplay is most defined by RPG standards. Quests, interactions, story. You also can completely ignore loot via crafting/exploration. The looter shooter concept has killing and random drops as the main progression loop. This games progression is mostly quest based, and doesn't require killing at all.

Cyberpunk 2058, Detroit Jack City. A 'prequil' stand alone mmorpg. Pick a starting point and build your solo from their. Active in game reputation system, pick a faction and battle over paydays.

Or swoop in and steal the data right under their nose while they are fighting another crew !

Now with Synthskin, no augment starts and mission failures that can end in amputation. See if you can make it to end game with all your limbs intact!

Now with better, worse grade cybernetics, conversions and street docs. Run your own business, be the cyberdoc in the new minigame.

Got a bad prosthetic? Time to upgrade. Play via skill not level, have quality grades not just street cred.

Play a game not worrying about save / load when you have a trauma team card, they will pull you out.

No trauma team card? Well you could be the next mission if you had any friends.

It's still peculiar to me that the company would knowingly mislead their customers in such a blatant way. CDPR have painstakingly built their brand as a consumer friendly company over the course of several years now, and they proudly tried to distinguish themselves from industry juggernauts like Electronic Arts, ActiVision and Square Enix. They knew what would happen if they screwed people over, and they still decided to release the game before it was ready?

It all seems odd to me because it's so shortsighted. The cynical interpretation is that they realized that they'd finally entered the mainstream, and suddenly they were no longer reliant on their core fanbase. This can explain why they decided to shift the game from a true RPG to a more diluted action adventure game that would be more appealing to casual gamers.

It's still peculiar to me that the company would knowingly mislead their customers in such a blatant way. CDPR have painstakingly built their brand as a consumer friendly company over the course of several years now, and they proudly tried to distinguish themselves from industry juggernauts like Electronic Arts, ActiVision and Square Enix. They knew what would happen if they screwed people over, and they still decided to release the game before it was ready?

It all seems odd to me because it's so shortsighted. The cynical interpretation is that they realized that they'd finally entered the mainstream, and suddenly they were no longer reliant on their core fanbase. This can explain why they decided to shift the game from a true RPG to a more diluted action adventure game that would be more appealing to casual gamers.

This is just a perfect storm, if things would have panned out differently everyone would have been oblivious to the marketing tactics.

If nothing else at least it opens people's eyes, and I hope they're going to be just as critical about everything else as well, but who am I kidding - that's never going to happen.

CPDR were not ready for mainstream scrutiny, and now they're paying for it unfortunately.

I'd love to see how CDPR'll market the Cyberpunk sequel: "GAMERS, for real, we have fulfilled our promises and it's ready this time!"

They can obviously say goodbye to my money even if I'm just a drop in the ocean: I'm not really into The Witcher franchise and after this shitshow, I don't care about expansions (I don't even mention the multiplayer). For me, the major issues are rooted in the game's design and that's much harder to fix. And as long as hacks such as Adam Badowski are in charge, I have 0 expectations that they can turn this ship around, even if a little.

I'd love to see how CDPR'll market the Cyberpunk sequel: "GAMERS, for real, we have fulfilled our promises and it's ready this time!"

They can obviously say goodbye to my money even if I'm just a drop in the ocean: I'm not really into The Witcher franchise and after this shitshow, I don't care about expansions (I don't even mention the multiplayer). For me, the major issues are rooted in the game's design and that's much harder to fix. And as long as hacks such as Adam Badowski are in charge, I have 0 expectations that they can turn this ship around, even if a little.
Which is why they need to fix this game and pull a "No Man's Sky" if they ever hope to cultivate trust again. Trust after all is earned not given. Earn it CDPR.

I don't think the game needs a sequel. The game needs long-term support from the developers. Paid DLC with new characters and storylines, free DLC with smaller quests and cut content, interface improvements, and so on.

The main problem is that the developers are silent. We don't know what their plans for the game are, we don't even know if they read our feedback on the forum.

In one or two years few people will remember about 2019 expectations, problems at the beginning and the game enhanced with DLC and patches will be view as iconic and successfull. Thats my theory at least.

Yup, agreed. After last gen is fazed out, we'll see this game on PC or next-gen only, and by then it'll look & run great. The bugs will be gone. mod community has began fixing the police system without official support. Imagine what the actual developers could do.

Yup, agreed. After last gen is fazed out, we'll see this game on PC or next-gen only, and by then it'll look & run great. The bugs will be gone. mod community has began fixing the police system without official support. Imagine what the actual developers could do.
It hurts me to say it but the police system even with mods its bad thats something that no matter how you mod it will always be bad they have to adresss that issues no excuses to that

"During the latest teleconference with the investors , CDPR implied that AI behaviour is such a mess due to the bugs plaguing Cyberpunk 2077, and as such, it would be fixed in the coming patches during January and February 2021."

That's apparently CDPR's stance. Considering how much of an improvement I've seen with NPC's walking the streets; I think they may be telling the truth. Such a short time for the AI to suddenly act more intelligently. I'd expect more improvements in this months patch if it comes out.

That's apparently CDPR's stance. Considering how much of an improvement I've seen with NPC's walking the streets; I think they may be telling the truth. Such a short time for the AI to suddenly act more intelligently. I'd expect more improvements in this months patch if it comes out.

I'm sure there's room for improvement but I fired up the game yesterday to check how much it changed and I didn't see a massive change. Perhaps it's a bit better, but nothing close to what people expected or what we experience in other games. Frankly, the bugs, the systems, the AIs, and the game breaking in different places after every major update really makes me wonder if any DLCs are even possible in a short time frame. A few additions, like a weapon or a few cars, shouldn't be an issue but a whole expansion that adds missions to the game? Not anytime soon. And I'm not saying it because I'm angry and bitter and wish them to fail. It's just the current state of events. Adding a massive DLC a year or two after the release doesn't strike me as a reasonable business idea, especially if the game doesn't have legendary status and it's widely replayed by many. I'm sure a lot of people still have fun with Cyberpunk and will continue playing but how many will get back to the game just to play a DLC? Especially if a DLC will be released in 2022? Or 2023?

Of course, I have no doubt that CDPR will manage and they will fix the game in months (perhaps) or a year from now and It will be a good, pleasant experience but nothing groundbreaking. The systems will be improved but won't be changed or totally rewritten. We can count on a few dialog lines and additional choices here and there but they won't alter the outcome. I have that sense it might be just a window dressing more or less and tons of backend work.

Therefore it's not stupid to assume that if cyberpunk is supposed to be a widely beloved franchise, a sequel would be a way to go. Instead of fixing and reversing bad decisions made during the production to start anew. I'm sure CDPR learned a lot working on CP2077 and can't wait for the new project to improve upon this knowledge. A lot of people mentioned No man Sky and Fallout 76 but how many of you actually got back to those games? I personally never did after the release. I HEARD that they are good and that's about it. Instead, I'm more interested in the next, fresh titles.

Yeah, Cyberpunk didn't turn out very well. It's not the promised second coming of Christ for the gaming world but overall... a good game. Sometimes not great, sometimes very poor in execution, sometimes reusing 10 years old solutions, but a good experience. It's fun. It will always be a good game but ONLY a good game. The sequel has a chance to be a great one. I do hope that this very expensive and enormously stressful experiment was also a learning experience. The only thing that CDPR can do right now is to ascend from it and there's no better way than release a new jaw-dropping game, even if a smaller one, without the full-blown living and breathing city. Otherwise, they will be known as "those guys who are still patching the thing" months after the release.

The only thing that CDPR can do right now is to ascend from it and there's no better way than release a new jaw-dropping game, even if a smaller one, without the full-blown living and breathing city. Otherwise, they will be known as "those guys who are still patching the thing" months after the release.

Well, they have a choice: They can be known as "those guys who were patching the game for months after release", or they can be known as "those guys who abandoned an unfinished game."

I'm sure there's room for improvement but I fired up the game yesterday to check how much it changed and I didn't see a massive change. Perhaps it's a bit better, but nothing close to what people expected or what we experience in other games. Frankly, the bugs, the systems, the AIs, and the game breaking in different places after every major update really makes me wonder if any DLCs are even possible in a short time frame. A few additions, like a weapon or a few cars, shouldn't be an issue but a whole expansion that adds missions to the game? Not anytime soon. And I'm not saying it because I'm angry and bitter and wish them to fail. It's just the current state of events. Adding a massive DLC a year or two after the release doesn't strike me as a reasonable business idea, especially if the game doesn't have legendary status and it's widely replayed by many. I'm sure a lot of people still have fun with Cyberpunk and will continue playing but how many will get back to the game just to play a DLC? Especially if a DLC will be released in 2022? Or 2023?

Of course, I have no doubt that CDPR will manage and they will fix the game in months (perhaps) or a year from now and It will be a good, pleasant experience but nothing groundbreaking. The systems will be improved but won't be changed or totally rewritten. We can count on a few dialog lines and additional choices here and there but they won't alter the outcome. I have that sense it might be just a window dressing more or less and tons of backend work.

Therefore it's not stupid to assume that if cyberpunk is supposed to be a widely beloved franchise, a sequel would be a way to go. Instead of fixing and reversing bad decisions made during the production to start anew. I'm sure CDPR learned a lot working on CP2077 and can't wait for the new project to improve upon this knowledge. A lot of people mentioned No man Sky and Fallout 76 but how many of you actually got back to those games? I personally never did after the release. I HEARD that they are good and that's about it. Instead, I'm more interested in the next, fresh titles.

Yeah, Cyberpunk didn't turn out very well. It's not the promised second coming of Christ for the gaming world but overall... a good game. Sometimes not great, sometimes very poor in execution, sometimes reusing 10 years old solutions, but a good experience. It's fun. It will always be a good game but ONLY a good game. The sequel has a chance to be a great one. I do hope that this very expensive and enormously stressful experiment was also a learning experience. The only thing that CDPR can do right now is to ascend from it and there's no better way than release a new jaw-dropping game, even if a smaller one, without the full-blown living and breathing city. Otherwise, they will be known as "those guys who are still patching the thing" months after the release.
Yeah, good points. This is their first attempt after all. Did Rockstar make GTAIII on their first go at open world design? Nah, they had 2 attempts plus an expansion.

If nothing else at least it opens people's eyes, and I hope they're going to be just as critical about everything else as well, but who am I kidding - that's never going to happen.

Many of us have throughout this process strongly urged people to manage their hype, but they keep making the same damn mistake over and over again. The people who pre-ordered this game should receive no sympathy from anyone. They have zero impulse control and no discipline, and it is hurting everybody else because it incentivizes companies to release half-baked games on the market. Corporations don't need to prove anything when they've already made their money back before the game has even been released.

..and you're probably right that nobody will learn their lesson.

what I want to see is how long until the game returns to the ps store, that has to be one of the biggest shames a AAA videogame has ever had, not even fallout 76 was removed

Yeah, good points. This is their first attempt after all. Did Rockstar make GTAIII on their first go at open world design? Nah, they had 2 attempts plus an expansion.

excuse me? if we combine velen+novigrad(HOST) and blood and wine you could have nearly the same content as cyberpunk(without the verticality) CDPR has the experience, stop treating them like some indie developer they are not

I will not buy another CDPR product. Nor will I ever trust a review from any of the major journalists such as IGN or Gamespot. Fool me once...

They should add me to the game as a Judy level romance & playable character. But I want a great background story. Maybe a former OSS frogman who was knocked out by a whale & gained amnesia, was found & rescued by Saburo & became a Jason Bourne of sorts. Later being frozen for over 100 years only to be recovered after the events of the game, becoming a patient of Vik's who works on learning who I am and bringing me back to life. Then after some months, he's gotten me awake, caught up and fit, then one day after we finish sparring, tells me about his friend V. Now we gotta save or recover & bring back V. Each non secretive endgame option bringing about an entirely different story. This can bring Vik along in some scenarios getting in on the action. If all goes well, V is saved or recovered, player becomes V again and can potentially initiate romance across a very long, violent & emotional quest line.

The bug fixes are getting there though.

Used to be cars following you would disappear into Mikoshi and they don't do that anymore.

I do think the game was rushed though, they should probably have waited at least half a year before release.

As I understand it, the team that made TW3 left before proper development of this game proceeded. That and based on what the first teaser was, versus what was shown at each showcase; it becomes apparent that the pre-production team just couldn't decide on what to do with the game.

Instead of just buckling in and going with an idea more than a couple years ago, they seemed to just rush it out. Sure the world space was crafted in broad strokes, but the other things were just left on the table and then rushed. Losing their staff from years ago probably killed this game too.

As for what I think they'll do. What they've announced. A series of patches to support the game, some DLC of varying quality. But "No Man Sky"-ing the game to have proper AI and police? I'm dubious about that. It's probably more profitable to just have your engine staff/AI staff work on something from scratch than repair a game that's already tarnished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom