Were you familiar with CyberPunk 2020 lore before you played 2077?

+

Were you familiar wiht CyberPunk 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • No

Votes: 34 52.3%

• Total voters
Hell'o there guys and gals
I wonder how many of you were familiar with Mike Pondsmith's CP world before decided to dive in CDPR's 2077 vision (simple poll above).
I played CP for the first time in 1995 and followed the lore of the world since then.
What I mean is when CP 2077 came out I was easy for me to get into the story becasue I was familiar with main characters like Johny Silverhand, Rouge, Alt, Adam Smasher, Araskas family because I knew they back story. I guess people completely new to the CP world could feel a little bit lost and not feel any bound. When the end credits appeared I was realy sad about what happend to them (Rouge killed, Adam Smasher, one of the most feared solos defeated, Johny with Alt in Mikoshi - it depends on the ending you got, but it was it for me). When beautiful 'Never Fade Away' started to play I shed a tear realising the era of great heroes and villains has ended.

1613471248585.png

I had heard of it, but had no specifics. I checked some things out after playing it, recently read some of the sourcebooks. It is 2077 though, they lived a long life

Never heard of Cyberpunk prior to this game. Didn't even know Cyberpunk 2077 was a thing until I saw that Kurtzgesagt video. I mean I just assumed Cyberpunk was a genre like Deus Ex, Blade Runner, etc.. In fact I assumed Cyberpunk 2077 was a MMORPG type game.

Hell'o there guys and gals
I wonder how many of you were familiar with Mike Pondsmith's CP world before decided to dive in CDPR's 2077 vision (simple poll above).
I played CP for the first time in 1995 and followed the lore of the world since then.
What I mean is when CP 2077 came out I was easy for me to get into the story becasue I was familiar with main characters like Johny Silverhand, Rouge, Alt, Adam Smasher, Araskas family because I knew they back story. I guess people completely new to the CP world could feel a little bit lost and not feel any bound. When the end credits appeared I was realy sad about what happend to them (Rouge killed, Adam Smasher, one of the most feared solos defeated, Johny with Alt in Mikoshi - it depends on the ending you got, but it was it for me). When beautiful 'Never Fade Away' started to play I shed a tear realising the era of great heroes and villains has ended.

View attachment 11177666

Is the Rogue -> Rouge thing an autocorrect error or was she indeed called Rouge in Cyberpunk 2020 and earlier installments? Or ist it something like there/their? I'm German and this confuses me a lot, because I see so much "Rouge" in the forums. Sorry, a little off-topic!

Anyway... I'm super interested in Cyberpunk lore and definitely want to read up on a few things and characters. Where would you recommend to start?

Do not post links to or sources of illegal downloads; it's piracy and absolutely against the rules. Respect copyright.
One post deleted.

Which one? I found numerous sourcebooks out there. Like hundreds!

I think so if you bought the Cyberpunk 2077 then you also got the Cyberpunk 2020 sourcebook/rulebook (v3002.2) with the digital goodies.

Last edited:
Nope, but i hate the shards so much it makes not care about the lore. I enjoyed the books from Witcher better.

No. I never knew the game even existed. I saw 2077's info and than saw it was based on a board game. I was like that's cool.

Is the Rogue -> Rouge thing an autocorrect error
It's a weird issue with spelling that, strangely, mostly native English speakers appear to suffer from.

As a non-native English speaker, being Dutch myself, I try and make sure my spelling is always correct. Despite often using auto-correct and spell-checkers (and having a love/hate relationship with it for my native language), I've never had an English auto-correct or spell checker suggest I change Rogue to Rouge

It's a weird issue with spelling that, strangely, mostly native English speakers appear to suffer from.

As a non-native English speaker, being Dutch myself, I try and make sure my spelling is always correct. Despite often using auto-correct and spell-checkers (and having a love/hate relationship with it for my native language), I've never had an English auto-correct or spell checker suggest I change Rogue to Rouge

Thanks! Wasn't meaning to offend anyone btw., it's just my curiosity for languages. I did a lot of job-related proofreading in English, but I've never stumbled across this case so far. Almost never using auto-correct myself, that's why I thought it could be because of that. Dutch is definitely a cool language, it always sounds kind of cute and friendly!

Is the Rogue -> Rouge thing an autocorrect error or was she indeed called Rouge in Cyberpunk 2020 and earlier installments? Or ist it something like there/their? I'm German and this confuses me a lot, because I see so much "Rouge" in the forums. Sorry, a little off-topic!

Anyway... I'm super interested in Cyberpunk lore and definitely want to read up on a few things and characters. Where would you recommend to start?

cyberpunk red is the reworked version thats supposed to be cannon to 2077.

Oh the ending credits rolled and it hit me really hard. I never really mentioned it, but I broke down a little. I absolutely loved that it happened, because to this day I'm unable to call the game entirely trash because of the story and lore. I wasn't familiar, but I made my best effort during the game to learn everything and I think I did get a good grasp. A lot of people I got to met were icons, some forgotten, some remembered and a lot of independently well-written characters that aren't there to be recognized as some famous figure in the lore, but rather impact V and be impacted by V.

I was, and got to say, it made my experience even better because it's cool to see some of the characters or events I only read or heard about prior the game release.

"WERE YOU FAMILIAR WIHT CYBERPUNK 2020 LORE BEFORE YOU PLAYED 2077?"

No. Not at all. Didn't even knew it existed. Searched YouTube a couple of times for some CP20 gameplay, but most times it directed to CP77.

I remember the 2020 rulebook cover from the elementary school :) .
Classmate brought it to school and was showing this gem to everybody. That was back in mid 1990s.

I admit that I was unaware of the Cyberpunk universe created by Mike Pondsmith until I started reading info on the web, around the time the game released.

I had assumed that CD Projekt Red had created the story and characters, good to know there is a long history!

I also admit to not being really interested in the "Cyberpunk" vibe and almost didn't get the game, glad I did.

Top Bottom