[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
I'm saying hanako would have had the failed coup, and got killed. I thought Alt only killed people in mikoshi part, She was being attacked by Arasaka netrunners when you fight Adam Smasher. So seems unlikely everyone in the entire tower died.
It seems that Hanako survives in the Sun ending because there is no implication that she died, even though Yorinobu was doing the same thing. So him killing her is unlikely.

As for Alt, she doesn't say anything about netrunners in the Star ending as she does in the Sun. And even in the Sun, she mentions that they are attacking her from the outside:
1613832373657.png

I like slow philosophical movies and games too, so I would have been disappointed if 2077 was just a heroes journey. I think the concepts you mentioned are a core part of cyberpunk. Sure it would have sold more as a traditional game, but it wouldnt have been as good imo. The execution and nuance in the endings should have been better of course, but I liked what they did overall
I loved the horrific ending of TLOU 1, I can see liking the ending of this game if there was never the pretense of being an RPG. When all of the advertising though is "hey be a merc in NC look how cool NC is to be a merc in" I'm not really interested in a game that forces left turns in your own character development just so they can have some kind of heavy handed meaning shoved into the endings.

I had a bunch of stuff I still wanted to do, was happily waiting for a patch to make mantis blades usable, thinking about doing goofy completionist stuff I rarely do for games just because I enjoyed it so much, but now I haven't loaded it up in over 2 months since seeing all the endings, and a large part of that is the fact that there's no *after* the relic. I don't want to run around NC with a death clock. Honestly, if I had been spoiled on the endings earlier, I wouldn't have even gotten the game, I think.

I wouldn't say V achieves nothing. If you do the quests V saves Joss's kid, Judy (by getting her out of NC), Panam (getting her to rejoin the Aldecaldos) the Aldecaldos (if you let them help, sure some die but they are way stronger with the Arasaka tech). You also help Kerry get his life back on track,and helps Johnny realize there is more to life than glory. I also happen to think V will live post 6 months so there is that too.

I like slow philosophical movies and games too, so I would have been disappointed if 2077 was just a heroes journey. I think the concepts you mentioned are a core part of cyberpunk. Sure it would have sold more as a traditional game, but it wouldnt have been as good imo. The execution and nuance in the endings should have been better of course, but I liked what they did overall
And yet there is almost classic hero's journey in the CP77, with major falls and rebounds, climax with Big Bad Boss, Bad Guys Stronghold/Tower to ka-boom and riding into Sunset. Even crapsack endings are diluted and washed from grimdark trait with 6mo to live, MBE, Biotechnica's Phlebotinum (tho stupid as a brick plot cancer is another story).
From what you can read over the internet in players reviews the "hero's journey" is a reason why this is considered as a captivated story.

Game is viewed as a buddy-buddy action adventure as is being advertised, with one-liners like "minus a charisma and impressive cock", great side characters design, mesmerizing views and outstanding high bpm-OST. Those are not traits of the slow philosophical game. Sure somebody might try to take it slow, but even story impose this fake urgency with death clock, suggesting that this is rather next action flick.

Last edited:
From my understanding at least two of the endings seemed to me as somewhat open-ended on what actually happens to V. Therefore perhaps it was done that way in the event a definitive answer could be explored in an Expansion or Sequel.

One thing I find interesting about this universe is that Humanity is not quite at the level of Ghost in The Shell, but almost, where they are on the cusp of full cybernetic body replacement (transferring your brain to different bodies, or being completely digitized)

Idea of the cyberpunk=grimdark in mainstream is self defeating and with those ambiguous endings game is rather aware of this.
You can't start a new franchise with game that coasts +100mln$ to make and 2x more to promote and go full with this kind of message, that everything is futile.
No one done this so far for a obvious reason. Even if, all those kinds of endings wereretcon at the end (FO3, NWN2), and DA:O get a sort of canon happy ending.
Deus Ex games never got a grimdark ending, GoT even if official one was dumb, was expected to get also a happy ending treatment (if we considered that whole story was logically pointing to one)

This ofc doesn't change the fact that plot cancer is what it is (dumb!).

And yet there is almost classic hero's journey in the CP77, with major falls and rebounds, climax with Big Bad Boss, Bad Guys Stronghold/Tower to ka-boom and riding into Sunset. Even crapsack endings are diluted and washed from grimdark trait with 6mo to live, MBE, Biotechnica's Phlebotinum (tho stupid as a brick plot cancer is another story).
From what you can read over the internet in players reviews the "hero's journey" is a reason why this is considered as a captivated story.

Game is viewed as a buddy-buddy action adventure as is being advertised, with one-liners like "minus a charisma and impressive cock", great side characters design, mesmerizing views and outstanding high bpm-OST. Those are not traits of the slow philosophical game. Sure somebody might try to take it slow, but even story impose this fake urgency with death clock, suggesting that this is rather next action flick.

I think the game was sold as what you describe, but that wasn't what we got, I think that is why I liked the direction the game took so much, it caught me TOTALLY off guard. I personally loved the game though, faults and all.

I think the game was sold as what you describe, but that wasn't what we got, I think that is why I liked the direction the game took so much, it caught me TOTALLY off guard. I personally loved the game though, faults and all.
And what we've got?
40% of players reached Hanako/point of no return and only 30% finished the game at all - so this is a perfect comment about the story. Endings are treated mostly as a cliffhanger what I think defy their's message but game/story seams fine with this.
For vast majority of gamers this is an action adventure game with Keanu Reeves, Panam/Judy simping mixed with RTX+HDR+Dolby Atmos tech demo plus photo mode and "oh I almost forget story is good/great and "emotional", shame it's so short" - 11/10 once they restore cut content and fix the bugs.

There is little more to this, and things like Sinerman or Zen monk quest are here only for the flavoring.
CP77 is foremost triple A release and it doesn't shy away from this.

Last edited:
I think she's a netrunner type. And doesn't seem to be a vengeance type, also some people say alt kills her when she takes over the subnet, but I'm not sure where that info comes from
Yeah according to the lore she is the most powerful netrunner next to Alt and she uses Alt's code to modify her own version of Soul Killer. Alt tells you the version of Soul Killer at Arasaka has change from her original coding, Hanako is the one who did that, apparently.

And what we've got?
40% of players reached Hanako/point of no return and only 30% finished the game at all - so this is a perfect comment about the story. Endings are treated mostly as a cliffhanger what I think defy their's message but game/story seams fine with this.
For vast majority of gamers this is an action adventure game with Keanu Reeves, Panam/Judy simping mixed with RTX+HDR+Dolby Atmos tech demo plus photo mode and "oh I almost forget story is good/great and "emotional", shame it's so short" - 11/10 once they restore cut content and fix the bugs.

There is little more to this, and things like Sinerman or Zen monk quest are here only for the flavoring.
CP77 is foremost triple A release and it doesn't shy away from this.
I'm speaking strictly of my experience with the game and why I personally liked it, it doesn't matter to me how many finished it or what the stats are. I am looking forward to a major content patch or dlc so I can go through the game a second time.

And what we've got?
40% of players reached Hanako/point of no return and only 30% finished the game at all - so this is a perfect comment about the story.

That doesn't mean anything bud, open world games have a low percentage completion rate for their narrative campaign, 30 percent seems like industry average.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...s-will-actually-finish-gta-5/?sh=748e2de166cc

Skyrim SE stands at 10 percent on steam.

Skyrim LE stands at 31 percent on steam.

The Witcher 3 at 26 percent on steam.

Fallout 4 at 31 percent on steam.

ELEX at 22 percent on steam.

-etc.

Cyberpunk is at 33 percent on GOG and it seems to be going up since the last time I've checked when it was at 28 percent a few weeks ago.

Now bare in mind that the game was just released and a lot of people stop playing the main quest before the point of no return to be able to play in the sandbox finishing up the side quests and waiting for patches.

Considering the shitstorm following the release that's quite a high percentage going by the fact that a large portion of the online community are touting that it's broken and unplayable.

In other words those numbers mean jack shit :D.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean anything bud, open world games have a low percentage completion rate for their narrative campaign, 30 percent seems like industry average.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...s-will-actually-finish-gta-5/?sh=748e2de166cc

Skyrim SE stands at 10 percent on steam.

Skyrim LE stands at 31 percent on steam.

The Witcher 3 at 26 percent on steam.

Fallout 4 at 31 percent on steam.

ELEX at 22 percent on steam.

-etc.

Cyberpunk is at 33 percent on GOG and it seems to be going up since the last time I've checked when it was at 28 percent a few weeks ago.

Now bare in mind that the game was just released and a lot of people stop playing the main quest before the point of no return to be able to play in the sandbox finishing up the side quests and waiting for patches.

Considering the shitstorm following the release that's quite a high percentage going by the fact that a large portion of the player base are touting that it's broken and unplayable.

In other words those numbers mean jack shit :D.
Those numbers show how many people are interested in this deep psychological grimdark thriller. I doubt that this will change drastically, who should finished this game, already did, from this point forward ratio will stay rather constant.

This game should be done with open world in mind, not some "let me shovel this grimdark pseudo-tragedy with plot cancer down your throat" restrictive story.

Last edited:
Those numbers show how many people are interested in this deep psychological grimdark thriller.

How did you get to that conclusion?

Those It was always this way, and I doubt that numbers will change drastically, how should finished this game, already did this, from this point forward ratio will stay rather constant.

Like I said I've observed them going up in the past few weeks, bare in mind Cyberpunk sold heaps and bounds more than The Witcher 3 and it's already surpassing it in the completion department, that's a good thing for CDPR.

This game should be done with open world in mind, not some "let me shovel this grimdark pseudo-tragedy with plot cancer down your throat" restrictive story.

Lol buddy, I'm sure a lot of people disagree with your grimdark theory and repeating it ad nauseam will not change the fact that at least one of the endings is factually not grimdark and most of the main story branches are about helping others and second chances, not very grimdark to me.

Yes it has dark undertones but there's no grim - beyond V's situation with the Relic but even that is at most ambiguous - in the main narrative arcs and the 6 months at the end doesn't change that, in fact it's hopeful considering V is supposed to be dead in a few weeks, but this is going into that circulatory argument territory so I'll drop it here.

just out of curiosity, how many of us here have basically written massive interconnected replacement endings in our minds that actually fit better into cp2077 then what we actually got? as to the last bit it's only my humble opinion that says it's better then what we got, but, if i put it to paper it would be like a short novel in size... so, i guess i have to put my hand up. lol

How did you get to that conclusion?
Dunno, maybe coz 30% of audience after 2,5 mo finished 13h long MQ?

Like I said I've observed them going up in the past few weeks, bare in mind Cyberpunk sold heaps and bounds more than The Witcher 3 and it's already surpassing it in the completion department, that's a good thing for CDPR.
It sold because of TW3 :) Lets see how those numbers will look for next CDPR game :smart:

Lol buddy, I'm sure a lot of people disagree with your grimdark theory and repeating it ad nauseam will not change the fact that at least one of the endings is factually not grimdark and most of the main story branches are about helping others and second chances, not very grimdark to me.

Yes it has dark undertones but there's no grim - beyond V's situation with the Relic but even that is at most ambiguous - in the main narrative arcs and the 6 months at the end doesn't change that, in fact it's hopeful considering V is supposed to be dead in a few weeks, but this is going into that circulatory argument territory so I'll drop it here.
But also a lot of people agree with me or consider those endings a cliffhanger, and since this is major release this shouldn't provoke so polarizing views.
And if they are a cliffhanger, it's just a next open world game, with little grimdark to find. MC will survive by this time bullet between the eye, time bomb/biochip and plot cancer, most side characters will be just fine. I'm fine with this.

just out of curiosity, how many of us here have basically written massive interconnected replacement endings in our minds that actually fit better into cp2077 then what we actually got? as to the last bit it's only my humble opinion that says it's better then what we got, but, if i put it to paper it would be like a short novel in size... so, i guess i have to put my hand up. lol

I actually find it more fun fantasizing about what's to come and what's in store for V and the gang rather than replacing the endings at hand, so far they fit the V's that I have played and I found them compelling from a purely narrative basis.

Basically I look at V as a predetermined character that's going through a ''Groundhog Day'' scenario where the different paths come into play and simultaneously disassociating myself from the character of V, as in I don't consider V as my V anymore (except for the first one which is my canonical playthrough).

I was never into fanfic before this game but I wrote a 40,000 word continuation to the Star ending haha. They give you so many hints it was hard not to write it. I think that is a novella length?
Post automatically merged:

While her tech skills are most impressive, isn't V's post-ending problem more of a medical issue? The biochip isn't killing V anymore, it's the damage it caused to V's body that's doing it. How is she suppose to help with that?

You can solve medical issues with tech, it is a cyberpunk universe after all.

Top Bottom