the driving in cyberpunk

+
I can't drive a car in this game, so I just stick to a bike. With a bike, I have a bit more room to navigate. As many have mentioned, on a keyboard, it is not a linear experience, it is an 'on / off' or full throttle or not. This is the same for other games I have played on PC, but each game handles the driving differently.

The best game for driving I have experienced was in Saints Row 3 and 4, and I have no clue why. I could do anything in that game while driving, and it was fun. I'll just stay with the bike for now.

I can't drive a car in this game, so I just stick to a bike. With a bike, I have a bit more room to navigate. As many have mentioned, on a keyboard, it is not a linear experience, it is an 'on / off' or full throttle or not.
Oh, yeah, I definitely stick to the bikes. Not just any bike, but the Apollo Scorpion that comes from a Nomad quest. It has never exploded on me, even after bouncing off every wall in sight, and that is a definite plus in this game. The real reason, though, is that it can easily avoid traffic jams. I never drive in the lane, always between lanes. In this way, I can go 130 down the freeway and only have to make minor adjustments to steering. I just go between the cars as if they are stopped. Which, occasionally, they are.
Of course, eventually one must turn. With some planning in advance, this can be smooth on the Apollo. Otherwise, well, like I said, this bike has never exploded on me.

I enjoy riding bikes, especially Yaiba Kusanagi CT-3X. With bikes it is easy to dart through the city.

Cars not so much, I always bump into other cars and eventually get stuck or land upside down.
If I have to choose a car that would be:
The Beast - big car, don't mind smashing into others.
Thorton the Rattler - cool engine sound.

Last edited:
For me is the breaking. I have something like a 2 second delay between slamming on the breaks and it even thinking about starting to show down.

The breaking distance in a straight line is further than the draw distance.

I started throwing it into a turn immediately rather than trying to slow down then take the turn because the car actually slows faster from turning and handles better while doing it than while breaking.
Post automatically merged:

If I recall correctly even the break lights don't register for the first second or so.

One of the biggest issues on PC is that the forward button is full accelerate and if you let off you start to coast or brake depending on your speed....there is no way to maintain speed, so you are either accelerating or decelerating. Thus it is easy to keep going faster, because you keep the forward button down to keep going, even when you would rather just hold a slower speed. They should make forward accelerate, let off hold, and down brake/decel.

The biggest problem is that you are using binary controls for the accelerator and the steering. There's no subtlety: you have full lock left, dead centre, or full lock right; full acceleration, coasting, and not just braking but actual reverse. The greater the power/weight ratio of the vehicle, the more problematic this becomes. Driving the Caliburn tidily is a real challenge, particularly turning it in a tight space.

Of course, pulse-width modulation can effectively simulate analogue controls to control a quadcopter drone, for example, so in theory by spamming the relevant keys fo very precise durations could produce smooth driving,. But depemding on your keyboard, there are mechanical issues as to the minimum time a keystroke will register. I imagine this is much better on a game controller with proper analogue sticks, but as I don't (yet) have one I don't (yet) know.

If I could make just one change to the control system, when moving forward pressing the 'S' key would brake the vehicle to a dead stop. If you then wanted to start reversing you'd have to release the 'S' key for a moment and then press it again. Similarly, obviously, for pressing the 'W' key while reversing.

The cars handle just fine for an FPS engine game with a driving engine added in. Comparing to like GTA which is a driving engine game with FPS added in is just not going to work.

But it isn't a first person shooter, it's a role playing game. Yes, sure, if all you want to do is kill people and destroy things then the driving is good enough for that.

Last edited:
If I could make just one change to the control system, when moving forward pressing the 'S' key would brake the vehicle to a dead stop. If you then wanted to start reversing you'd have to release the 'S' key for a moment and then press it again. Similarly, obviously, for pressing the 'W' key while reversing.
That would be nice.

I have a whole laundry list of movement problems with the game. One of them is "coasting". Some vehicles actually brake if you take your finger off of W for too long. This makes it harder to coast around corners. Easily mitigated if I "gun it" to the corner, pull the emergency brake at 100MPH, and crank the wheel over in the direction I want to turn. Car turns and slides. Then, when I am facing the direction I want to travel, floor it and stop steering. I feel like I am a stunt driver for the Dukes of Hazzard, but it does occasionally work out. It is annoying, though.

But then I remember that CDPR released their product on PC, the only platform that apparently works reliably, with bad driving controls and no "walk/run" toggle when not driving. :shrug:

DC9V

Forum veteran
For me is the breaking. I have something like a 2 second delay between slamming on the breaks and it even thinking about starting to show down.

The breaking distance in a straight line is further than the draw distance.

I started throwing it into a turn immediately rather than trying to slow down then take the turn because the car actually slows faster from turning and handles better while doing it than while breaking.

If I recall correctly even the break lights don't register for the first second or so.

Yea, the braking really sucks! I think the problem is the camera stiffness. I simply cant' tell how fast I'm driving because the camera distance doesn't change that much. EDIT: maybe it feels different on an ultrawide display...

Regarding the turning:
IMO, anything below stable 60 FPS can definitely be considered as low FPS gaming in 2021. Input lag is increased at low FPS, so everyone who plays CP is experiencing heavy input lag. which means that the moment when you release a key, is going to be delayed, too. The only solution for this is to shortly tap left/right when steering, in order to avoid oversteering, because at low FPS your monitor will ALWAYS show you a heavily delayed moment of what is happening.

Last edited:
That would be nice.

I have a whole laundry list of movement problems with the game. One of them is "coasting". Some vehicles actually brake if you take your finger off of W for too long. This makes it harder to coast around corners. Easily mitigated if I "gun it" to the corner, pull the emergency brake at 100MPH, and crank the wheel over in the direction I want to turn. Car turns and slides. Then, when I am facing the direction I want to travel, floor it and stop steering. I feel like I am a stunt driver for the Dukes of Hazzard, but it does occasionally work out. It is annoying, though.

But then I remember that CDPR released their product on PC, the only platform that apparently works reliably, with bad driving controls and no "walk/run" toggle when not driving. :shrug:

I agree that loss of speed while coasting is an issue when the driving control interface is as poor as this, but it is modelling the real world physical behaviour of the vehicle and over all I think that's a good thing. Notice that vehicles will accelerate down a hill without you doing anything to the controls – they roll under gravity.

I agree that loss of speed while coasting is an issue when the driving control interface is as poor as this, but it is modelling the real world physical behaviour of the vehicle and over all I think that's a good thing. Notice that vehicles will accelerate down a hill without you doing anything to the controls – they roll under gravity.
Oddly, there was one that surprised me by not coasting down the off ramp from Little China to Japantown.

Oh, yeah, I definitely stick to the bikes. Not just any bike, but the Apollo Scorpion that comes from a Nomad quest. It has never exploded on me, even after bouncing off every wall in sight, and that is a definite plus in this game. The real reason, though, is that it can easily avoid traffic jams. I never drive in the lane, always between lanes. In this way, I can go 130 down the freeway and only have to make minor adjustments to steering. I just go between the cars as if they are stopped. Which, occasionally, they are.
This is my main transport for the same reasons: the handling is very good (I mean for CP77!) and I'll forgive it its fairly slow acceleration because it's so forgiving and practically indestructible. The other Nomad vehicles are good choices for much the same reason, with the exception of V's Golf, which is probably the worst-handling car in the game... D:

I just do not see how anyone can drive comfortably (Keyboard and Mouse) when the steering goes 100% left and right with no gradations. I would love to see anyone that says "its fine" drive a car that did that in real life.

And what is really frustrating is there is a vehicle in this game that drives intuitively: Panam's Basilisk tank!
Where when you move your mouse a little left or right the steering moves only a little allowing for life like turning. You have full comfortable control! Just apply the tank steering code to city cars. :rolleyes:

And then watching the NPC drive you (sitting in the car with your eyes on their hands and steering wheel) around in missions THEY get to steer the car with gradations, so why not the player as well?

The biggest problem is that you are using binary controls for the accelerator and the steering.

What is your gut feeling as a programmer, could a mod replace the car steering with the Panam's Basilisk tank steering code?

Last edited:
"THE DRIVING IN CYBERPUNK"

...Is awesome. It looks like real, it feels like real. Very beautifully made. Find it coming very close to the real deal, concerning traffic, and traffic situations. Am only missing window wipers and signal left/right, which are really necessary components to illustrate the feel and picture of driving a car. Missing mirrors is a known issue of course, but could be compensated with driver assistants, like flashing lights and sound beeps.

I play on a PC with a PS4 controller. It is very handy as you can give various inputs with the analog stick. Have never tried, but can imagine if you try to drive with mouse & keyboard in this game, you're in a world to hurt, as you can only give 100% input at any given time. Should really try driving with a controller, you'll notice straight away that after getting familiar with the analog stick, the driving will go much more smoother. If lucky, can drive straight through the city without any damage.

I disagree. Thanks to an Epic freebee, I've just played RAGE 2 which manages FPS and driving just fine as did it's predecessor. The driving in CP is jank.
The shooting and driving in RAGE 2 is so good. Much better then Cyberpunk.

Interesting reading all these views. Personally I have always hated driving in FPS games and have actually avoided many for this reason.
When I first played CP 2077 I really did not enjoy driving. However I persevered and tried out as many vehicles as I could, slowly adapting to each.
I now find driving to be one of the things I really enjoy, there is a "knack" certainly on PC keyboard, rather than long keypresses, short taps work well with both accelerating and steering and I can corner with no problems now. I also have a "mod" that extends the mini-map making turns easier to predict.
However there are very few vehicles I use. My favourites are the Archer Quartz EC-L R275 and the Thorton Colby "Little Mule" both handle well and don't accelerate too quickly. I never even bother with the high power cars, just not fun to drive, and as to Johnny's Porsche, like driving a wet fish on ice ;)

Of course, eventually one must turn. With some planning in advance, this can be smooth on the Apollo. Otherwise, well, like I said, this bike has never exploded on me.

Same but I stick to the Jackie's Arch, simply because it is so much faster and not just in its top speed, the acceleration curve is also better. As a bonus, I find it easier to get into corners with it, Apollo is a little stubborn in this regard. But, yeah, the main reason for all this is that bikes take up so much less space and you can easily maneuver through and around traffic, also the FPV actually works with them.

I disagree. Thanks to an Epic freebee, I've just played RAGE 2 which manages FPS and driving just fine as did it's predecessor. The driving in CP is jank.
Surely he did not played RAGE 2 where shooting and driving its superb.

Driving is just awful. It doesn't matter, though, because there are no quest (maybe a couple) where driving is needed. Not a single car chase, no following some car, no running away from the police, no transport quest, no stealing cars (apart from "get to that place, steal the car, drive 200 mts to the garage") No shooting in the car... Driving is just useless. And dont get me started with 'the beast in me' arc. Races are literally worst thing i've ever played. EVER. Races in gta3 (year 2001) were waaaaaaay better. I mean, they were actual races! in these ones doesn't matter even what car you drive, other racers just pop up behind you, adjusting to your speed. No difference between racing with a caliburn or doing so with a fucking delmaine taxi...
All this totally breaks the inmersion. There are no parked cars (where would they park, without any parking slots along the roads?) , nor you can park yours but in the sidewalk, people won't get in or out of a car, there are no npc bikes ridding, collisions are ridiculous... Well to sum up: better to run and double jump, at least you won't get angry :D

I copied this post from another thread. Love quoting myself :D

as I already indicated in another message, I only drive inside the vehicle, race too. I cannot drive at all external view, I can't do it, I lose control of the vehicle.
my serious problem; there is no mirror; it's annoying especially in the city.
the vehicle I drive perfectly, in town or in the badlands, {except dirt roads} is the Quadra turbo-R Vtech.
I do what I want with it. I master it perfectly and sitting in the pilot seat, interior view, it's great.
O, if there was a mirror for the rear view...

Quadra_Turbo-R_V-Tech.png

the vehicle I drive perfectly, in town or in the badlands, {except dirt roads} is the Quadra turbo-R Vtech.
My problem with the Turbo-R V-Tech is that it really highlights the flaws in the driving portion of the game.
As soon as you touch "W" the car sounds like a 1980's 4 cyl Honda Civic with no muffler starting a drag race. I am also convinced that the transmission is about to fail due to the noise it makes before shifting. Steering is way too touchy.

I agree with you about mirrors. That is annoying about all the cars, and why I use 3rd person for driving.

I do like the interior of this one, and you can see out quite nicely when in first person.

Top Bottom