A mini-guide for early levels on Very Hard when playing non-killing V

+
Very Hard difficulty is not any hard at high and even mid-game character level, but early in the game, it can be challenging. And especially so for any V which intends to never kill a man (nor woman), i.e. kind of "pacifist". This is because means to inflict non-lethal damage are very limited early in the game, all the while V's health and armor are both very low.

But i still found one simple way to do it, so here goes.

Sandra's rescue mission: follow all optional objectives, i.e. be sneaky. All the enemies can be grappled and taken down non-lethally by V (and two of them, by Jackie), including the boss. After Jackie knocks out his 1st enemy (in the same time V knocks out another) - move both bodies away from the big room remaining enemies are in, as leaving those bodies where they are will alert the others, making it a bit harder to get behind them (but still doable).

Next, when arriving to V's home, go into long corridor going away from V's appartment. Not far from the corridor's end, there is a container with several hundreds eurodollars. This, plus eurodollars looted from Sandra's mission, should in sum be more than 1.5k (and we need that much).

Next, after some good sleep, proceed with Viktor's main story mission and its follow up - the talk with Dex. Once out of Dex's limo, V will be standing right next to the netrunner store which is the location of "the Gift" side quest from T-Bug. Get in, do the quest (freebies never hurt), but then also buy uncommon Whistle quickhack, which that netrunner shop always has available. It costs 1.5k.

And that's it. Now V can deal with almost all low-level locations / side missions, by means of using Whistle and/or Distract Enemies, to grapple and non-lethally knock out foes for experience, street cred and loot.

Few extra notes.

I did this with Intellegence = 3 V, and some "a bit higher level" enemies can't be Whistled as the hack costs more RAM than V has (4), but obviously one can always avoid such foes for the time being and return later, when at higher level, so Whistle would then work.

Don't forget Icepick lowers quickhack costs even without any extra perks.

While this way to play early game can be somewhat "tedious" and "slow", firefights actually tend to be even more problematic, early on. So, whenever detected (enemies' icons turning permanently red) - i recommend to not even attempt to shoot them, during early levels, but instead to sprint couple corners away. Most of the time, enemies get back to non-fighting state very soon, and more stealth action can then be taken.

Obviously, starting with Cool 6 helps with this way to play early game, but i also did it with a V starting with just default 3 points in Cool, and it's still very doable. In any case, it'll be a good idea to invest into Cool quite much early on (if any Cool increases is in the plan for this particular V overall, of couse). Because Stealth skill will be growing fast and it's bad to limit its growth by too low Cool stat.

At times, incendiary and poison grenades can also be useful, as both are non-lethal. Early game supply of those is very limited, however. Best used when going into some gang-police firefight to damage multiple gang members at once and right away.

Pax weapon mod (making any weapon non-lethal) is available from very 1st weapon dealer (in V's building), as are silencers. However, finding a weapon with a mod slot is not going to happen during early levels, rendering this method unavailable.

Victor sells a cyberware mod which renders all weapons non-lethal, but it comes with significant damage penalty and costs over 3k. Further, it can only be bought early on when visiting Viktor for very 1st time, as afterwards Viktor's wares will not be available until V pays him 21k back. All in all, i recommend Whistle way much more anyway, because of how weak early-level weapons are, too. Getting both - is possible (for example, can go to the market before seeing Viktor for the 1st time, to do that easy "fair cop" side mission for extra cash), but it's still 3k "lost" towards earning eddies for repaying Viktor, buying better cyberware and other "wanna get soon" things. I wouldn't go for it, as eventually a weapon with mod and silencer slots will be found or bought, and then Pax + silencer combo is more damage (and much cheaper) than that "all weapons non-lethal" mod.

Last and least, there are very few robots here and there in some few Watson side areas, and since they are robots, "thau shall not kill" does not apply. So, silenced revolver can be of help (to not alert other enemies). But on Very Hard, during early levels, it'd take very many shots to drop even most basic robot. Default Short Circuit hack is often impossible to use due to its cost being more RAM than early-game V has (especially if low Int). Therefore, keeping one's eyes open for looting any EMP grenades, and possibly even buying a few, can be helpful - obviously those deal a ton of extra damage to robots.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
Also start throwing those emp or poison grenades if things get hot. They're surprisingly potent. Then, when you have collected enough eddies, just buy a smart link (which is not even that costly AFAIK) and you're good to go.

And RAM booster is your friend by the way.

Also start throwing those emp or poison grenades if things get hot. They're surprisingly potent. Then, when you have collected enough eddies, just buy a smart link (which is not even that costly AFAIK) and you're good to go.

And RAM booster is your friend by the way.
Added grenades to the guide, yep.

Smart link, iirc, is blocked by 14 street cred requirement. Not exactly "early", but sure, when available, it helps.

RAM boosters are very scarce early game, and buying 'em is substantial expense. Better just not go against higher-level enemies - enough low level ones in Watson. I think.

iCake

Forum veteran
Added grenades to the guide, yep.

Smart link, iirc, is blocked by 14 street cred requirement. Not exactly "early", but sure, when available, it helps.

RAM boosters are very scarce early game, and buying 'em is substantial expense. Better just not go against higher-level enemies - enough low level ones in Watson. I think.

Well, Wakako rewards you with a Tyger's Claw version of smart link, so it is, at least as I understand it, not gated behind any street cred. So, you just have to "suffer" through the main mission quests till Act 2 and then, just go to Wakako and collect on what is due to you.

Also fair points about the scarcity of those grenades and boosters, but I wasn't saying it like they're readily available, just that they're there as good options for you.

Well, Wakako rewards you with a Tyger's Claw version of smart link, so it is, at least as I understand it, not gated behind any street cred. So, you just have to "suffer" through the main mission quests till Act 2 and then, just go to Wakako and collect on what is due to you.

Also fair points about the scarcity of those grenades and boosters, but I wasn't saying it like they're readily available, just that they're there as good options for you.
True about Wakako, but getting it requires getting out of Watson (unless using a glitch), which in turn requires to complete the big main job of getting that military bot. Which for a pacifist V is one big challenge, thus it makes sense to get fair amount of levelling before doing it, in Watson. So again, Wakako's smart link is not so "early". Personally, i expect to get 14 street cred way before getting outta Watson. YMMV, though. :)

Grenades, sure, added them myself even before seeing your post. Boosters, dunno, i prefer to sell early on, though. Very minor help seeing as it's merely a couple or so found from loot up to level ~5.

iCake

Forum veteran
True about Wakako, but getting it requires getting out of Watson (unless using a glitch), which in turn requires to complete the big main job of getting that military bot. Which for a pacifist V is one big challenge, thus it makes sense to get fair amount of levelling before doing it, in Watson. So again, Wakako's smart link is not so "early". Personally, i expect to get 14 street cred way before getting outta Watson. YMMV, though. :)

Grenades, sure, added them myself even before seeing your post. Boosters, dunno, i prefer to sell early on, though. Very minor help seeing as it's merely a couple or so found from loot up to level ~5.

Hmm, wasn't too difficult for me to tackle that quest in the maelstrom hiding hole stealthily early on. Besides, it looks like you can complete it without entering any combat, I didn't try it like that, but it does look like there's a "friendly" option there. The heist though, yeah, had to reload a few times, but it's also doable.

Hmm, wasn't too difficult for me to tackle that quest in the maelstrom hiding hole stealthily early on. Besides, it looks like you can complete it without entering any combat, I didn't try it like that, but it does look like there's a "friendly" option there. The heist though, yeah, had to reload a few times, but it's also doable.
I guess depends on playstyle / RP and goals, then. Can be punishing. Sure, you can hide behind wide immortal (there) Jackie's butt, but hey, no proud pacifist V would be hiding behind the front lines. Them pacifists love eating lead... i recon. :D

My problem with trying pacifist is a lot of "non-lethal" blunt weapons, like the unique cane and such, kill people. I hit them and they bleed out. Is this a crit hit issue?

On the Heist i never kill anyone, that's not what Dex and Evelyn are paying me for. I was never there :cool:
Post automatically merged:

On my most recent playthrough on very hard, pre-heist, i have found buying an epic cyberdeck helps a lot with non-lethal, relatively silent takedowns. It just takes a while. At the early levels of hacking it is hard to do a lot of damage. I've come to dislike the attribute level and skill level capping.

Last edited:
My problem with trying pacifist is a lot of "non-lethal" blunt weapons, like the unique cane and such, kill people. I hit them and they bleed out. Is this a crit hit issue?

On the Heist i never kill anyone, that's not what Dex and Evelyn are paying me for. I was never there :cool:
Post automatically merged:

On my most recent playthrough on very hard, pre-heist, i have found buying an epic cyberdeck helps a lot with non-lethal, relatively silent takedowns. It just takes a while. At the early levels of hacking it is hard to do a lot of damage. I've come to dislike the attribute level and skill level capping.
Not sure about blunt weapons, but probably crits, yes. Also hitting them in the head with non-lethal weapon (any weapon) is usually deadly. Body shots with any ranged non-lethal weapon always keep 'em alive, though - even if damage is massive overkill (which late game it often is).

/QUOTE]

I remember trying to use the sledge hammer as a non lethal blunt weapon and going Gallager on peoples heads, didn't add up to me at the time.

msxyz

Forum regular
On the subject of non lethal blunt weapons, I noticed that sometimes hitting an NPC after the 'drop down' animation has started will result in an actual fatal damage. In my experience the electric baton is 100% non lethal even in those situations and it has been my favorite weapon for this kind of work. The stun effect will also make easier to finish hard enemies for which a single hit is not enough (it works wonders with cyberpsychos which can take up to a dozen hits in rapid succession to drop them)

As for the hacks, system reset is my favorite because other enemies tend to ignore victims of this hack if they're sitting (if they drop on the floor, usually other NPCs will raise the alarm after 20..30 seconds). In a few cases, nearby NPCs commented something like "Ripperdoc must have fucked up calibration" implying that they saw what it just happened but they don't consider it a hostile action from a third party.

Whistle is useful to draw NPCs away from large groups to deal with them individually (avoiding escalations) but oddly many NPCs are resistant to this (an odd design choice)

The chocking hold is my default form of attack from stealth but sometimes moving the body (if ones wants to remain hidden to stack up the stealth melee bonuses) will result in a death because of a glitch: it is as if the body falls down from a height instead of being gently lowered on the floor.

On the subject of non lethal blunt weapons, I noticed that sometimes hitting an NPC after the 'drop down' animation has started will result in an actual fatal damage. In my experience the electric baton is 100% non lethal even in those situations and it has been my favorite weapon for this kind of work. The stun effect will also make easier to finish hard enemies for which a single hit is not enough (it works wonders with cyberpsychos which can take up to a dozen hits in rapid succession to drop them)

As for the hacks, system reset is my favorite because other enemies tend to ignore victims of this hack if they're sitting (if they drop on the floor, usually other NPCs will raise the alarm after 20..30 seconds). In a few cases, nearby NPCs commented something like "Ripperdoc must have fucked up calibration" implying that they saw what it just happened but they don't consider it a hostile action from a third party.

Whistle is useful to draw NPCs away from large groups to deal with them individually (avoiding escalations) but oddly many NPCs are resistant to this (an odd design choice)

The chocking hold is my default form of attack from stealth but sometimes moving the body (if ones wants to remain hidden to stack up the stealth melee bonuses) will result in a death because of a glitch: it is as if the body falls down from a height instead of being gently lowered on the floor.
Yep, electric baton is indeed excellent. Staggers everything. I found single quick hits not in rapid succession, but "single" ones - allow to control the fight best. Also push the enemy backwards a little with each hit, and gives time for small back and forth motions when under fire from enemy's friends, thus allowing to dodge most of that fire.

System reset is indeed good, but early on its cost and availability can both be issues, though, especially for low Int V.

Whistle, yes, some enemies resist entirely, but also it's often not complete resistance, but merely locations involved. Many a time i had initially "immune" to whistle enemy actually becoming possible to whistle out as soon as i repositioned V to another place. Generally, being close enough and "on level" with the foe is how Whistle works. It's variable both per location and per evemy, though.

And yes, there is that glitch about dropping bodies, but i found it happens mainly when dropping them on some "fancy" surface. I.e. some surface which is not "usual ground" for the area. Good example of this is last fight when escaping Konpeki hotel during the Heist mission - garage fight. There are 5 arasaka soldiers to drop. And there are stripes / bits of surface in that garage which look kind of shiny metal - as opposed to most garage's floor being more or less "simple concrete". Well, dropping a body on that metal-shiny surface? Glitches, person dies. Dropping 'em on concrete instead? Never glitches.

iCake

Forum veteran
Yep, electric baton is indeed excellent. Staggers everything. I found single quick hits not in rapid succession, but "single" ones - allow to control the fight best. Also push the enemy backwards a little with each hit, and gives time for small back and forth motions when under fire from enemy's friends, thus allowing to dodge most of that fire.

System reset is indeed good, but early on its cost and availability can both be issues, though, especially for low Int V.

Whistle, yes, some enemies resist entirely, but also it's often not complete resistance, but merely locations involved. Many a time i had initially "immune" to whistle enemy actually becoming possible to whistle out as soon as i repositioned V to another place. Generally, being close enough and "on level" with the foe is how Whistle works. It's variable both per location and per evemy, though.

And yes, there is that glitch about dropping bodies, but i found it happens mainly when dropping them on some "fancy" surface. I.e. some surface which is not "usual ground" for the area. Good example of this is last fight when escaping Konpeki hotel during the Heist mission - garage fight. There are 5 arasaka soldiers to drop. And there are stripes / bits of surface in that garage which look kind of shiny metal - as opposed to most garage's floor being more or less "simple concrete". Well, dropping a body on that metal-shiny surface? Glitches, person dies. Dropping 'em on concrete instead? Never glitches.

About the body drop glitch. I found out in my game that this only happens when you drop somebody while on the move (even camera movements count), so release all controls before hitting that "E" or whatever key you have drop body action bound to, after that I never smashed someone's head by simply trying to lay them on the floor.

Top Bottom