The single worst decision in gaming history

+
$780,000,000.00 Smackers. 3/4 of a billion on one game. Even after legal battles and other nonsense they will walk away with half a billion. Sounds like a decent business strategy to me.

Last edited:
"THE SINGLE WORST DECISION IN GAMING HISTORY"

--> Anthem
I was very disappointed when they cancelled the reboot. Not surprised (the team had dwindled to almost nothing), but disappointed. I had a lot of fun with it, but it was so lacking. The concept was great. The implementation not so much.

FkzAz

Forum regular
You can't compare RDR2 to CP2077... RDR2 is a piece of flat paper, while CP2077 is a box. The latter has an extra dimension to work with! And the AI's needs to work in this (boxy) environment, while in RDR2, it's far easier as it's just a flat piece of paper for all the NPC's to act upon. Think of CP2077 as several RDR2's stacked on top of each other, and were the NPC's should be able to navigate everywhere... See the difference?

You mean an empty box, right?

Because there is absolutely nothing to do in game wise when it comes to the veryicality of the game.

Basicly the game is putting the HW under massive stress (due to veryicality), for absolutely nothing.

It's a massive fail in terms of game design on its current state.

Your limiting HW, for nothing. And then you get 2D cars on the horizon on all platforms.

Thats what you are gaining with the empty verticality, nothing.

CP has no verticality. They took the wall climbing out and we can't use hover cars. And how many times can we actually get high views of the city. With the train system being gone. Basically none. The AI's do nothing special in this area. They work just like any other game. Except worse, due to being incomplete.

This is pure misinformation they sold 13m copies by the 22 december. When in comparision Witcher 3 sold 10m copies AFTER ALMOST A YEAR. You can say what you want about the game but buisness wise it was a succes for them.

it was a success, at the cost of their reputation;
people didn't expect cdpr, "the chosen company", to make this big of a disaster.

CP has no verticality. They took the wall climbing out and we can't use hover cars. And how many times can we actually get high views of the city. With the train system being gone. Basically none. The AI's do nothing special in this area. They work just like any other game. Except worse, due to being incomplete.
tHeRe Is No verticality! 0, nada, zilch.

Btw. Dying Light a game that is built around parkour doesn't have wall run either because it was so hard to do for developers they cut it....

Last edited:
tHeRe Is No verticality! 0, nada, zilch.

Well... the parkour is the most underrated feature in cyberpunk 2077. Intuitive rather than requiring a lot of dancing with your fingers on the keyboard.
First time in 40 years I have actually enjoyed "platforming" in a game. :shrug:

Edit: oh yeah, now that Darkibone brought it up it is true that 6 of the missions (may be more I just remember six at the moment) I complete was from Extreme Parkour to find either a way into a secure building or a line of SNIPER fire to the target that kept me from getting into combat.

However I do agree WAY more should have been done on the basic aspects of this game such as the driving and NPC interaction.

Last edited:
What does that add to the game that makes it more worthwhile than decent NPC AI, traffic and an interactive, responsive world?

Alternative entries to quite a lot of missions. You know, something which affects the actual core gameplay, instead of being just more fluff.

And to get back on topic, the single worst decision in (PC) gaming history was imho the separation of Ultima Online into felucca and trammell. That did not only destroy that particular game, but influenced the whole mmo genre, and it still does to this very day.

Second place definitely belongs to the introduction of DLCs, most notably by Bethesda with Oblivion.

Nothing that CDPR ever did comes even close to having such long lasting negative effects on the industry.

Alternative entries to quite a lot of missions. You know, something which affects the actual core gameplay, instead of being just more fluff.

Fluff such as ray-tracing? The core gameplay was cut to the bones. This game is very much style over actual substance. Also, as dodgy a move as it was with the horse armour, Bethesda weren't even close in being the first to introduce micro-transactions, and aside from the horse armour, the DLCs for Oblivion were perfectly fine, there's nothing wrong with the concept, just how it is executed.

The video shows that if the ability to jump from roof to roof at what is not a particularly high altitude has come at the expense of the rest of the game, it wasn't worth it. What does that add to the game that makes it more worthwhile than decent NPC AI, traffic and an interactive, responsive world?

I do agree that all these currently lacking things are much, much more important features to include in the game (which kind of forced me to stop playing for now and wait for next patches), but we actually don't know how much working on this "parkour" impacted the timeframe of other stuff. I, for one, don't know - I imagine though that a separate (small?) section of the team was assigned to this task - doesn't seem as complicated as AI to my layman's eyes... Probably the best scenario would be if ALL of these features were going hand in hand during the game's creation process, but... well...

I was kind of pleasently surprised when I realised that I can actually climb many obstacles, jump from one to another, hold on ledges etc. No invisible walls, a bit of ability to see some sceneries from different angles. Pretty fun for an open world game really. On the other hand, since you can't climb EVERY ladder, railing, balcony etc., it seems inconsistent at times. Still, it's not Assassin's Creed, so a simplified version like that is good enough, I guess.

In short - a nice, fun feature. If only the player model (shadow) was also well designed and the animations were a bit smoother (sigh)...

As for the verticality of the city - if I were to choose, I would definitely prefer having more of accessible buildings, staircases and lifts to get to some higher floors or rooftops at the cost of this nice "parkour" thing. I doubt though that we will ever get those, so... if you don't have what you like, then you like what you have ;)

Last edited:
The worst decision ever is they made enough money and now closing the shelf:ROFLMAO:.
1614950906920.png

Fluff such as ray-tracing? The core gameplay was cut to the bones. This game is very much style over actual substance.
And yet you were the one who asserted that better traffic AI or a more reactive world, which has nothing to do with the core gameplay, are more worthwhile features than something which already is in the game and does have an impact on core gameplay.
Your argument is inconsistent.

Bethesda weren't even close in being the first to introduce micro-transactions
I did not write first, I did write "most notable". And you knew exactly what I was alluding to: Horse Armor DLC. That was 2006, and yet you still know exactly what it was about and why it was shady. That is exactly what I was talking about: It influenced the whole industry in the worst possible way, and everyone to this very day still remembers it precisely because of that.

And yet you were the one who asserted that better traffic AI or a more reactive world, which has nothing to do with the core gameplay, are more worthwhile features than something which already is in the game and does have an impact on core gameplay.
Your argument is inconsistent.

In an open world RPG? I think it does, but then the lengths some will go to to justify the state of this game is baffling at this point. I know you didn't write "first" as I can read, but you focused on Bethesda when they neither instigated the concept, nor have been the worst offenders.

but you focused on Bethesda when they neither instigated the concept, nor have been the worst offenders.

"After experimenting with paid DLC for its first-party titles on the original Xbox, Microsoft planned to launch the Xbox 360 with a storefront populated by the newfangled "microtransaction.""
"According to USGamer, Bethesda was the first third-party publisher to accept Microsoft's idea, offering a pack of in-game horse armor for Oblivion players at a $2.50 price point."

From https://screenrant.com/oblivion-horse-armor-dlc-controversy-explained/, but you can find other sources.

I imagine though that a separate (small?) section of the team was assigned to this task - doesn't seem as complicated as AI to my layman's eyes...

My bet is that it was in work with the wall running. So they cut the wall running part and left the part that work well (really well). I am not a fan of "wall running" anyway so for me personally I am happy it did not make it in.

On the other hand I also have a feeling that the parkour actions are actually just part of the basic engine akin to gravity and collision. What I mean is that I feel the tools for generating the building geometry automatically include all the triggers and systems needed as they build a building. A window ledge not only has inherent code to reflect light and casting shadow but also has the needed grab points. So once the tool was made for constructing buildings and lamp posts and fence and so on, all the city already had the parkour built into it.

There are only a few things that do not allow you to climb, those would have been deliberately set by the DEV to not allow the player to climb.

Unlike in previous games were you build a building and THEN had to go in and place lines and points and scripts that are invisible but so close to the geometry of the building so it seemed like the player was grabbing the building protrusions when really they were grabbing an invisible gab point.

Just a theory, because the parkour is so good. Seems like either they spent a lot of time on it or it was actually done "procedurally" as I said above or something similar.

Top Bottom