The single worst decision in gaming history

+
After experimenting with paid DLC for its first-party titles on the original Xbox, Microsoft planned to launch the Xbox 360 with a storefront populated by the newfangled "microtransaction.""
"According to USGamer, Bethesda was the first third-party publisher to accept Microsoft's idea, offering a pack of in-game horse armor for Oblivion players at a $2.50 price point."

From https://screenrant.com/oblivion-horse-armor-dlc-controversy-explained/, but you can find other sources.

Bethesda did not instigate micro-transactions as you admitted yourself. You have then added a link to an article about the "horse armor debacle", but I already acknowledged that it wasn't a good move, the point is they were not the first and it was one dlc that cost a couple of quid. Here we have a game that has been absolutely butchered to justify its release and yet many are claiming it to be all gravy while running through their memory banks, looking for anything done by other companies in the past that could be used to divert attention away from CP2077. Strangely enough, when unfavourable comparisons are made between this and other games or CDPR and other companies, they are brushed aside as not being relevant....

Rudo_

Forum regular
$780,000,000.00 Smackers. 3/4 of a billion on one game. Even after legal battles and other nonsense they will walk away with half a billion. Sounds like a decent business strategy to me.
We have a proverb in Spain. Somethinh like: bread for today, hunger for tomorrow.
Sure they made shitloads of money, but let's see how much they make with their next game after ripping us off the way they did...
Will anybody preorder any CDPR games in the future? I will most certainly not. And surely, lots of people think the same way.
Not sure if change your reputation for money is indeed a decent business strategy.

I'm going to move this to Community because it's turned into a discussion about video games in general.

ya1

Forum regular
Considering the potential given by the vision for the game, the environment, the setting and the whole audio-visual package, yeah, I believe the decision to release CP77 half-finished as well as all the smaller decisions contributing to how the whole project was mismanaged - this was the worst decision in the history of gaming. This could've easily been all they promised and more.

I will only say that you can like CP77 or not, personally i think it's the worst game i played in my life. Even worst than anything that Bethesda released after FO3 and Skyrim. But that is just my opinion. If someone thinks this game is the best game ever in videogames history, well, good for him.

Now, to topic. Worst decision ever in gaming history is let EA sell all those sports cards to have ultimate teams. No, worst decision was let EA make videogames.

When top developers began catering to mobile devices instead of focusing on their original platforms. It severely impacted innovation in gaming for both PC and console gaming from roughly 2010 to present. Almost every major franchise has had multiple mobile version spin-offs. All that product development should have been focused on the main series. That is why it is so rare now for new games to be good these days. Just look at the Final Fantasy series, one of the most successful in history. There have been over FIFTY, yes I wrote 50, Final Fantasy games developed for iOS/Android since the onset of the mobile craze. I can't name a single one of them (although, "All the Bravest" comes to mind as a being noted as a horrible game, IIRC). So, how many were released for the main series in that same timeframe? 5! Most of which are mediocre compared to their ancestors. Why are they mediocre? Why are they not absolutely incredible amazing games like the classics (VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2)? I'll tell you why: 50 versions for iOS and Android. That's why. It is the same story over and over for many series. This is the true burden effecting the gaming industry. The sad part is, the mobile games have netted these companies the largest profits in their history. So don't expect things to change anytime soon.

Had the decision been made to put back the release on legacy consoles well after the PC release, Cyberpunk would have been no different in bugs than any other big release.

They spent an inordinate amount of time trying to cram that square peg into that round hole, didn't they.
Sure, selling to outdated, las-gen consoles might mean more money, but they probably ultimately lost more than they would have gained simply due to all of the returns.

They shoulda waited.

I only have two pieces of advice. First, stop the DONT WALK BEEPING.

Please don't. It adds some realistic flavor to the game.
Maybe reduce the frequency with which it makes the announcement, but don't remove it entirely.

Second give us 3rd person in SIT, STAND and GET IN.

I know some of you have this weird, extreme fetish for third person--I don't get it; it destroys immersion for me--but I really, really, really don't want this. I like first person; it feels like I'm playing a character rather than controlling an action figure or android because I'm looking through their eyes.

If we're going to see our character, I'd like it to be in reflections.

Worst decision in gaming history was deciding it was okay to release the same games for both PC and console... resulting in drastically simplified control schemes for PC games, despite having many more buttons available and a completely different method of control entirely (controller vs mouse + keyboard). Or, on the other side, resulting in glitchy console games that are barely playable due to the inferior system specs of consoles vs PCs.
This.

Alternatively, Dragon Age 2 (incidentally, you could say it's related)
Post automatically merged:

The single worst decision in gaming is DRM and we all know it.
This one too, at the top of the list, how could I forget :coolstory:

Worst decision in gaming, easy 'nge' the cu was minor compared to that.
Swg for those that never played

Worst decision in gaming, throwing my windows 98 PC in the trash after upgrading to a new PC thinking my 90s and early 2000 games would still play forever and even better every year the new PC's got more "advanced".

I'm not OK with the slow move away from physical media either.
That part's already a novelty, pretty much. Though, I think it will always be around in some form. It has too much charm to ever vanish for good. Besides, collecter's editions and stuff generate a lot business.

Top Bottom