Tips about The Witcher, bugs and gameplay

+
Tips about The Witcher, bugs and gameplay

Not to start on a bad note but, most of the bugs I've found are to do with the game itself, I've encountered an array mostly listed on the wikia already, most of them are to do with interaction of people, quest progression/stages which dependant on your choices and intervals in which you proceed with these decisions can have drastic effects on the future chapters of the game, which is quite a disappointment for gamers like myself that like to really dig deep and complete all the objectives or quests in this case.I'veventured with my hardware settings, so I'm clear that the bugs I've found are not hardware sided - yet some people seem to have hardware problems, things to do with screen blackouts and such I haven't experienced, but I'd suggest lowering graphics and such to medium or low, helps with speed when geralt's entering large or detailed areas. Getting a good cpu and graphics card helps, I run Vista - Windowed mode seems to help for me.If anyone wishes me to go into more detail about the major bug I found that everyone probably misses, they could post a comment here, though I'd not like to ruin the experience for other players, because its a brilliant game, if like me your hardware is not top tier, but can handle it - I really recommend playing it through a couple of times choosing differently to previous playthroughs. Just some tips below about avoiding common bugs:1.Save frequently, every quest choice or character interaction choice in the game has numerous outcomes, apart from chapter progression, SOME can affect the later stages of the game - bug wise not neutral/order/scoiatel wise, basically you could encounter bugs if you accept loads of quests for - perhaps Kalkstein, plus have him involved in a main chapter story quest E.G (Suspect: Kalkstein + his Contract/s + What Lies Beneath + Beauty and the Beast) Having all these quests open and then complete them may affect the game, I've not tested this but I have experienced zone in/out crashes (this is not hardware related, but choice related - I proved this when I reloaded an earlier save that I knew for definite there was no problem). I'm not sure how this error is triggered, sometimes intervals of the day (i.e when raining) seemed to crash me when zoning, but changing the time to dawn with no rain after a reload resolved a zone crash (keep in mind I still loaded the same save - which was corrupted).There is the well known advice of many "start over, or reinstall, or update drivers" - this is poor advice, though I recommend updating drivers, I found the same bugs, even with updated hardware, you need to find the source of the problem - which is definitely a choice you made earlier in the game regarding some quest. Revert to a previous save game, and try getting back to your current status. I know this is frustrating, I've had to do it a ridiculous ammount of times, but as of starting recently a third play, encountered none so far. Reloading and sometimes even making the same choices can erase errors like zoning (if you catch them early on the better, because your later chapters wont suffer)How did I know it was corrupted or find out? I made a choice early on that I knew was going to make the game have further errors - this is major bug I found, but as I stated, it's probably not worth noting, but it could be useful as its not on the wikia.Save frequently in this game before you make CHOICES - contracts and most sidequests you don't need to but still I advise, but anything involving Siegfried, Yaevinn - and major story quests involving characters like Triss and Kalkstein etc, definitely save before & after - keep the before one and create a NEW after save.2. Progress slowly, Slow and steady wins the race - alot of the time missing quest steps can have impacts, I've not tested whether they create later bugs as on this game I try not to find anymore. But its better to put time into it, later playthroughs you can speed things up as you remember locations and whereabouts - you also get way more exp doing things steadily - refer to the Wikia for this, Great job by the way Widow & other contributors, it's really helpful for all the goodies and extra sidequests, try playing your first playthrough without it though, much better to get into the feel of the game - later playthroughs you can research and make every decision count.3. Read the Journal, often alot of people don't use this feature often, its a big plus information wise, but again it does have bugs, while reading the Journal switching from say... Ingredients to Quests section can take time - be patient, spamming clicking or forcing a game to speed up doesn't help in any game, it just creates an opening for a problem. I've only encountered Journal & Map bugs due to a choice I made early on - the Map of an area became BLACK and only the coloured circle spots and Geralt's pointer location were visible on the map (all pathways and map drawings were blacked out) at this point or if you encounter this visual bug, you have done something wrong earlier on in the game to make this occur - revert to an older save and save frequently until you get past the problem. This black map is one of the first signs for a corrupted save and checking map constantly can be invaluable to keep progressing (silly that you have to do it, but there you go - I hope this helps everyone recognize corrupts).3. Take care when looting - on the wikia it mentions about people not being able to loot stuff from corpses underneath a corpse, this isnt really a bug - to solve this simply take everything from the corpse that is blocking the lower one - I find alot of the time, it is due to no space in inventory - prioritize what you need, equip anything to get more slots (i.e rings, potions - even if its temporary). Get rid of food, the heal rate is poor anyway unless you have multiple foods of different types eaten at once (Meat, Fruit, Bread) - some seem to overlap, while others seem to work in conjunction with other foods, use this to your advantage and get a faster vitality restore rate.Weapons left on corpses can be a hassle, if you want to loot underneath and theres a corpse with a weapon still in its remains - simply take the corpse weapon, your previous one will drop, take whichever you prefer and the corpse will dissapear letting you loot the other one.Using SHIFT when looting in a room or searching for a corpse is useful, I've found a few items I would not have found had I not used shift to help me scan the area :) - if you use this element in conjunction with the auto loot (Ctrl & Click) you can be done with all houses/corpses of an area within 15-20 minutes providing you know where the loot spots are.LEAVE weapons in cupboards and wardrobes and chests and what not, they don't dissapear and say if you dropped a torch, you needed one for a quest and remember spotting one in a room - weren't you glad you didn't pick it up earlier ;), why bother buying weapons when the game offers you almost every weapon for free as long as you look hard and long enough. The weapons you cant loot are quest rewards, all others are free from corpses, cupboards. Exception being the meteorite and rune swords - which you need to buy and don't forget to buy that one from the Blacksmith's son.4. Collect everything, looting is so fun to do "Others are looting, why not me?" this is a big tip here - between chapters 2 & 3 when you get access to Trade Quarter, Temple quarter is restocked - I tested the dungeons to see if they restocked - dungeons I mean, the Swamp, Crypts and Sewers - it doesn't seem they restock, but I did find that if you leave items in places (like say a full chest in the crypt) - I advise to get everything in chests or whatnot as soon as you find them anyway, because if you leave any valuables behind in this restocking interval, you'll find that the items in that same Crypt chest have been changed, usually to something awful like food and flints.I plan to test this again though sometime.I think items are predetermined on new game start, thus entering places and leaving them and reloading won't change loot within that room/corpses remains. I've not tested whether entering of a chapter, checking a chest, reloading a save, entering the chapter again, checking the same chest could differ the loot - Lol. It does seem that there are DEFINATE items you will get in a certain chest or coffer - take the meteorite in chapter 1 salamandra cave, and there are some extra goodies that are random (Ars Amandi in Triss's house - as its not always there).5. Kind of a tip - If it doesn't affect gameplay, avoid making it an issue, in one of your playthroughs, you WILL encounter visual glitches - if you don't, you are one lucky player. Almost everyone knows about the gruesome face glitch, it comes in all shapes and sizes (I believe it happens to every civilian in the game, multiple times I've found it - its not a hardware issue again, rendering problem would be more appropriate), luckily for me, its not happened to any of the females...that'd put me of collecting the cards for weeks!Fortunately it is minor, and does not stop you from doing anything, just zone out of an area and re-enter and wehey, it should be gone, though this MIGHT be another sign of a corrupted game, I'm unsure, not done any testing but its happened to me, then I start a new chapter and I don't see it at all...BUT whatever chapter it appears on, it will happen again but probably on a different civilian, for me I saw it on a city guard, and a townswoman in the same chapter though one was early in, latter late. IF I had scanned all civilians and actually looked for it, I probably would've found it on other civilians on each zoning of the town square.These findings make me believe that progressing to a new chapter stops bugs from a previous chapter, visual as well as zone crashing. 6. Utilize combat styles, though you should refer to the wikia for this, I've come across a few handy things in terms of combat. Firstly every style works on every enemy, though its recommended to stick to the correct style for that type of opponent, strong style for instance, even works on those weakest against fast style. In order for this to work, they need to either be affected by some sort of weakening, like blinding, bleeding, incineration - they also seem to dodge more if you have a weaker sword, if they have above 60% hp they also are bound to dodge more, but switching to strong style after you weaken them is a good idea, as you can deal more damage and get rid of them faster. I find this useful but only on occasion, the majority of the time, sticking to the correct style rocks more.You should switch styles quickly before battle commences using pause, and use buttons like Q, E for style switching while already in combat, pausing works really well for sign switching. Facing your opponent deals more damage than from the side, if for instance you are fighting Bhargusts with group style, and you havent got a 360 group swing ability with a talent, making sure the enemies are within the range - i.e 180 has a much better effect (you can hear this when the sword makes a tingling sound when it slices them, aim to get the tingling sound all the time in battles to get the best out of group style).Dodging and using style evasion is an excellent way to get out of rear attacks or acid or anything that can damage geralt, double tapping backwards or any direction when surrounded using the fast style - Geralt will jump over an enemy in his way. Bloetzuigers have harmful acid, so keep distance and use igni, aard or anything that will distance him from you and kill him at the same time to avoid damage, when against multiple Bloetzuigers igni them together, switch to fast style, retreat OR use the trap sign - Yrden and watch them get stabbed while you stay a healthy observer. You can also use other styles and see the evasion movements are different for each one. Weapons without the multiple styles have no evasion capabilities, such as small weapons so always use Q & E as a way to use style to retreat.Fast style for Silver swords is the fastest speed Geralt can move at, the other styles make him slightly slower.For Steel swords, surprisingly Fast style isn't the fastest, infact Group style is slightly faster in movement - plus it looks way better.7. A Hilarious tip - Make your experience comical, Geralt is a witcher, someone who shows no mercy if people get in his way, occasionally on his whim he will do good things for people but theres always the time where he will just snap like a twig and go mental. You can actually kill civilians, dwarves, she-elf's, Old townsmen and Old women just for fun, hell even be like me and chapter 2 let a Fleder wipe out all of the townspeople at night and even defeat the infinite ammount of guards that come out of the gate of dike as reinforcements, since the fleder restores its hp, this was one of the most funniest moments I've experienced in the witcher and I reccommend doing it. Look on as the civilians scream for help (Evil I know, but its a game!) Anyone with a blue ring underneath them is attackable providing it is at night, this can be tricky to do as people enter their houses at night, but you CAN delay them if you spam chat and set the time to 20:00 or 19:30 and catch them before they head to their premises, pushing them away from the direction they want to head is also humerous. I might actually try this for some people I want to loot the corpse of. The guy who says "I F***** a she-elf once" was shocked when I told him I killed a she-elf before she got home and looted her corpse.The fact that killing civilians does nothing to your status is funny, especially with dwarves loving you and making weapons despite the fact there is a pile of dwarven corpses outside the dwarven blacksmith's house in chapter 2 worthy of hate from dwarves for the rest of Geralt's anti-dwarven life.I'm sure this is possible, on some occasions Geralt chooses to do the good thing and help someone, after the quest or stage of the quest is complete - if they are still blue, Geralt can be the witcher he is and backstab them, getting the best out of the bargain by doublecrossing his allies - Loot + Quest progression/completion = Win Win situation. Most of the time you have to kill them quickly before they run away, make sure you prepare for this, best to complete them at night if you encounter someone who is blue.8.Optional tip - but I personally think this is useful: Get stat bonuses, damage %'s, regeneration increase and Weapon extra attacks early on, Talents should be used wisely, things that will help you in the long run is better than getting useless stuff that is hardly going to be used - e.g the talent "Absorption" - which allows geralt to draw twice daily from places of power, should be a last resort talent, pick something that you will use all the time over temporary abilities that don't affect combat, I'd rather have a +25% damage bonus or something :).9. Gamble - Finding gold is difficult early on, but after a few chapters poker becomes a big asset for piling up money, locate the best guys to gamble with (ones with high starter bets - to make the most profit) Something that might not have been mentioned and something to consider when taking a second roll - if you have a pair which that pair are EVEN numbers, your other three dice are all odd numbers, it is better to roll all three odd numbers as long as they are not a pair - there are six faces on a die, with one already facing towards you, you have 5 other faces - depending on which number is displayed E.G if 6 is facing, the chances of getting an equal number from that die the next roll is LESSER than getting an odd - cross out 6 and you have 4 and 2 left, while there is 5, 3 and 1 (thus this way you can formulate the best decision per dice).10. Run around in combat, especially if your low on hp, find a way to knock the enemy over or stun them and use some items, food/drink regeneration of energy or vitality - most enemies are slow, slower than geralt with his fastest running speed equipped (Fast silver, Group steel) You can defeat monsters like Ozzrel doing this, though it takes patience, even a really weak Geralt can outwit the strongest foe, always keep distance, knock back with igni or ard :). Infact using Quen, drinking potions and regeneration items before battle is the best option, if they run out mid battle, stun and repeat, use oils that are specifically for certain types of opponents and any damage boosting upgrades/runes. 11. Prepare for battles, just like above explains, but this is more on the equipment side - use correct weapons, swords strong vs monsters shouldnt be used when against humans, vice versa - it increases their chance to dodge and your chance to miss.12. Keep track of the side your on - Neutral, Order or Scoia'tael - some armorers and blacksmiths stop trading with you if you do something against their culture, with both sides, doing quests for their culture has a positive effect and will get you trading with them again - this becomes harder to do in the later chapters.13. Store weapons - Useful tip, when about to receive a sword as a reward and you have no space, on my first playthrough I lost a few weapons not storing them and having to pick the better one, it was a sad moment departing from a helpful blade - but storing weapons and collecting new ones is something I recommend so you can have a nice collection. 14. Around the clock - Different types of day trigger different things, for instance civilians around town walk all over most of the day and head to their houses at night, if you want to find a specific person, day is better, if they have their own private premises - then see them at night, but if they stay at the inn, they might not always be there so the specific time interval may be short.15. Drinking - for cheapness just use all the weak alcohol and save the strong stuff for potion preparation, getting intoxicated doesn't do harm, but its wise to keep an eye on your toxicity level. Always keep a wive's tears in your inventory, I find though that if you drink at night, you can utilize the damage bonus you get from intoxication (providing you have the talent "Buzz") - although this decreases dodging, its quite handy. As I want this damage bonus to last longer, I don't get the "Heavyweight" -50% intoxication talent - If I want to be drunk, I want the damage bonus to last as long as possible, so don't bother with that talent, get the Buzz and use the drunkenly disorder for what it is.Drink at NIGHT, then equip a sword and run with one of the fast or group styles I explained about above, Geralt can run drunk regarding he has a sword, not sure if many know about this, but its useful nevertheless, as long as the enemy deals poor damage, you get a damage bonus of 25% AND a blurry screen, what an experience!Alvin has a split personality - if you have him near drowners or any mob providing he's following you on Black Tern Island he contradicts himself by saying "Help me, Help!" then usually after "I don't want to!" lol.Most things have already been covered by the wikia so my tips may be of some use, but for more thorough tips - practically everythings on there. And have FUN, its a brilliant game regardless of these nitty gritty bugs.Lastly here's a screenshot of something I couldn't resist, Drowners immediately reminded me of a classic game, you guys should be able to figure this out.

Top Bottom