Weapon Design System?

+
Weapon Design System?

Hey all, I'm in the process of starting a new CP2020 campaign, and one of my players has a Techie who specializes in custom weapons (guns, specifically). Has anyone come up with any kind of system for this?

Right now I'm thinking along the lines of a new weapon project (as in designing a new weapon from scratch, as opposed to slapping mods on an existing weapoon) requiring a certain amount of (for want of a better term) Development Points to design (allocate them to various stats in the weapon in a similar manner to mech loadout in Battletech), and you earn Development Points by making a series of Tech + Weaponsmith rolls, each of which represents a certain amount of in-game time devoted to sitting up late at night hacking away at CAD designs.

Once you've got a design, the easy way to actually make the gun would be to gain access to an autofactory, and 3D print the parts individually, then assemble. If you can't get to an autofactory, you're looking at machining the parts yourself, which would be a whole other series of rolls, and probably a lot of trial an error.

If someone else has already developed something along these lines, I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but if not, I'd be happy to post the results of this little experiment.

-- Ben

You could probably make a similar set of mechanics based off drug creation in the main rulebook--different caliber weapons on different weapon types with a reliability rating calculates into the weaponsmithing roll you need to beat.

Edit: Just make sure to make the negative modifiers actually mean something--right now you can make a hallucinogenic sterilizing compound with a high cance of inducing cancer bonded to a nerve agent that causes euphoria for all of, like, an easy difficulty roll. I know my numbers aren't right as I don't have the book on hand, but you get the idea.

Solo of Fortune 1 and 2 have some great mod rules. Check those out. Especially Solo of Fortune 2.

The Interlock Unlimited Core rules on Wisdom000's Datafortress 2020 site have some good rules on making a gun from scratch. Using that and the Solo of Fortune mod rules together should make it pretty easy.

Top Bottom