Possible Frame Rate Drop Fix for PS4???

+
So I've discovered something I found quite helpful...

Full disclosure: the fix is not permanent--more of a temporary workaround--but it appears it can be used consecutively as needed.

Playing on PS4, I discovered that whenever I experience the abominable frame rate drop--the one that makes the game unplayable--it can be instantly fixed by unequipping all quickhacks (I then just immediately re-equip them).

I haven't done extensive testing, but it's worked every time that I've tried it (~20+ times in various quests and scenarios).

If it's at all relevant, I'm playing a female/female Streetkid V on regular PS4 (not Pro) with all default settings; current main quests are 'Transmission' & 'Gimme Danger.'

If you have any questions, lmk.
I hope it helps someone.

Apologies if this has already been discovered and/or discussed.

On PC the framerate drops below 5 if you equip certain quickhacks, so there's clearly something wrong with them.

Hmm, I definitely use both of those. Though I distinctly remember that at least 3 times I had to remove ALL quickhacks before the problem would resolve (and neither of those hacks were in the last slot I cleared). Hmm... More testing needed.

And just to clarify, when I say "abominable frame rate drop," I mean the game is very nearly reduced to a series of static images.
Post automatically merged:

After reading through some other threads (thanks @Edfitz1), it appears unequipping/re-equipping equipped hacks may actually resolve other bugs and performance issues as well. Interesting.

Last edited:
I don't have quickhacks at all, I use Sandevistan or Berserk, and still get that framerate drop after a few hours of gameplay. I just restart the game when I notice it.

I don't have quickhacks at all, I use Sandevistan or Berserk, and still get that framerate drop after a few hours of gameplay. I just restart the game when I notice it.
I was wondering about this very thing. Thanks for posting.

Have you noticed anything you do right before it happens that may be triggering it (like initiating Berserk, taking control of a security cam or using a consumable)?

It would also give us some good insight to know if removing Sandevistan/Berserk also resolves the issue once it starts, though I'm aware this would involve going to a ripper, which would take Grod knows how long in that state.

[edit]: Btw, which platform are you playing on?

I was wondering about this very thing. Thanks for posting.

Have you noticed anything you do right before it happens that may be triggering it (like initiating Berserk, taking control of a security cam or using a consumable)?

and still get that framerate drop after a few hours of gameplay. I just restart the game when I notice it.
Hi, the fact restarting the game solves the issue would lead me to believe that it is a "Cache full" situation. Triggering something that is resource hungry would just push the game over the edge. If I see any sign in the game that the cache is struggling, this can be as simple as notifications getting slower appearing, up to FPS drop and popin of assets, its a sign to clear the cache. Exit the game shut down and unplug- make a cuppa and play again. This has solved 95% of any issues I've had.

Another thing that can fix it is pressing the pad on the controller and going to main menu (not the map).
Calms down the fans for me and fixes the rate.
Most of the time if I go to the Save menu and do a Quick save, it fixes the rate/fans

Playing on PS4, I discovered that whenever I experience the abominable frame rate drop--the one that makes the game unplayable--it can be instantly fixed by unequipping all quickhacks (I then just immediately re-equip them).

That sounds to me like a memory leak. It would hurt PS4 performance particularly because of the combination of limited memory and limited I/O bandwidth. While the quickhack is equipped, something is allocating but not releasing small amounts of memory which accumulate over time; when the quickhack is unequipped, deallocating it in memory daisy-chains to deallocating all those small memory allocations, so performance would recover.

I'm not saying I know that's the reason, but I have thirty-mumble years experience of debugging systems, and I'd lay money on it.

That sounds to me like a memory leak. It would hurt PS4 performance particularly because of the combination of limited memory and limited I/O bandwidth. While the quickhack is equipped, something is allocating but not releasing small amounts of memory which accumulate over time; when the quickhack is unequipped, deallocating it in memory daisy-chains to deallocating all those small memory allocations, so performance would recover.

I'm not saying I know that's the reason, but I have thirty-mumble years experience of debugging systems, and I'd lay money on it.
This would make sense if the post-deallocation period was relatively consistent, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Post automatically merged:

Hi, the fact restarting the game solves the issue would lead me to believe that it is a "Cache full" situation. Triggering something that is resource hungry would just push the game over the edge. If I see any sign in the game that the cache is struggling, this can be as simple as notifications getting slower appearing, up to FPS drop and popin of assets, its a sign to clear the cache. Exit the game shut down and unplug- make a cuppa and play again. This has solved 95% of any issues I've had.
I learned of this a while back and it's been super helpful. Unfortunately it doesn't resolve this particular pita for me.

No, after more testing, it appears that 'Sonic Shock' and 'Cripple Movement' are indeed the culprits, which is a huge bummer because for now, the most prudent course of action seems to be to just not use them.

What's strange to me is if the problem is that these two hacks are just faulty, why did they work without issue for so long before this started???

Is it possibly just the Legendary versions that are busted??
Which versions of these hacks were y'all using when you started experiencing problems?

For me, both were the Legendary version.

Last edited:
What's strange to me is if the problem is that these two hacks are just faulty, why did they work without issue for so long before this started???
Hi, I wonder are the "faulty"? I am leaning towards the theory that the are too powerful when the legendary forms are combined. As you saw in that thread I linked, I've got legendary ping in that set up. The issues seemed to be when it was combined with legendary Sonic Shock in particular. The amount of items & NPC's that the 2 Hacks interacted with can be quite large. I suspect that the area they reach is also large. This, as I said, leads me to think its just too mush going on. Even in a non combat situation the Hacks together instantly caused lag and major FPS drop. The setup I have in that thread was just the first combination that I got to successfully work. I suspect there are others.

Hi, I wonder are the "faulty"? I am leaning towards the theory that the are too powerful when the legendary forms are combined. As you saw in that thread I linked, I've got legendary ping in that set up. The issues seemed to be when it was combined with legendary Sonic Shock in particular. The amount of items & NPC's that the 2 Hacks interacted with can be quite large. I suspect that the area they reach is also large. This, as I said, leads me to think its just too mush going on. Even in a non combat situation the Hacks together instantly caused lag and major FPS drop. The setup I have in that thread was just the first combination that I got to successfully work. I suspect there are others.
I see... Yeah, that makes sense.
The first time I experienced the major drop was immediately after casting Ping (epic) from a loadout that also had the Legendary versions of those other two hacks.

I was wondering...do you think the passive abilities on the Legendary versions are contributing to the problem(s)?
Some of them have pretty far-reaching effects, especially when combined with Ping.

edit: Some hacks don't even have a Legendary version; perhaps this is why.

Last edited:
I was wondering...do you think the passive abilities on the Legendary versions are contributing to the problem(s)?
Some of them have pretty far-reaching effects, especially when combined with Ping.
Hi, that is the way I'm thinking atm. I found various combinations that worked, invariably too many with "distance" passives seemed to push things over the edge. The legendary Sonic Boom cuts you off from your squad, iirc, this means every squad member has the hack apply, that can be a lot in a very busy area. I may be incorrect about that passive, Im at work atm. But I hope you get the idea.

I experience the most abominable framerate drops while driving through the city and after applying Ping on devices. I don't think there's any workaround for that, sadly :(

I experience the most abominable framerate drops while driving through the city and after applying Ping on devices. I don't think there's any workaround for that, sadly :(
Hi, Have you tried removing Ping from your Deck, and then reinstating it? I also had to remove it, save, exit and restart the game to "fix" it.

Edit: I just saw your Post on the Bug thread. I've moved on too. I expect I will look in again after the March Patch (lets call it that, but the clock is running). But, in truth, it is just another game rather then the Game it could have been.

Top Bottom