the driving in cyberpunk

+
I found very hard to drive a car, especially in busy streets, because AI cars always end up making traffic jams by not being able to properly drive around other cars and obstacles, so they just stare at each other lol. Bike is the only way to drive around without crashing and making npc pedestrians panic for no reason.
I usually give them reason to panic, but yes, the motorcycle is the only way to go.
I think the traffic jams are intentional, though. At least, in part.

What is your gut feeling as a programmer, could a mod replace the car steering with the Panam's Basilisk tank steering code?

OK, so my belief is that the cars in Cyberpunk are using essentially the same control code as the boats in The Witcher III. The walking control, where your character moves directly away from the camera, seems to be the basis of the Basilisk control, except that the Basilisk has some turn inertia. I see no reason why cars should not be controlled in the same way (although it would mean you couldn't look around while driving - and when turning in tight spaces while avoiding pedestrians, the ability to look around is useful.
Post automatically merged:

Driving is just awful. It doesn't matter, though, because there are no quest (maybe a couple) where driving is needed. Not a single car chase, no following some car, no running away from the police, no transport quest, no stealing cars (apart from "get to that place, steal the car, drive 200 mts to the garage")

Except that you're wrong. In the quest Dream On, you must chase the surveillance van, and if you can't keep up with it, you fail the quest. And of course there's always the four 'Beast in Me' quests which are car races. You also have quests in which you have to drive an NPC to some specified destination (such as Blistering Love).

And you can steal pretty much any car anywhere (even heavy trucks, which can be fun). What you can't do, is own a stolen car, which is a real disappointment to me because this topless beauty is just the most stylish thing in the game.
Insight.png

However, I'd agree that there aren't many quests which require driving, and I'd also agree that the probable reason for that is that the driving control is so poor.

Last edited:
The reason so many people think driving in CP is bad is because both they have a lead foot that will never let up even in corners or bumps sending them into uncontrollable jumps and fishtails, as well as using poor handling vehicle options with either too much acceleration or not tight enough turning.

It's not the games fault for bad player choices.

100% the issue is in how you drive, it helped me not to go into "GTA" mode by using 1st person, you will drive very different with limited view and low perspective

100% the issue is in how you drive, it helped me not to go into "GTA" mode by using 1st person, you will drive very different with limited view and low perspective

That is total horseshit. As someone who has driven fast cars (a 959), the driving in CP is just plain bad even when compared to the real-life cars. The Porsche Taycan even whilst driving it on wet road has less floaty steering than ANY CP car on dry roads and the deceleration time and distance from 60mph is equally bad.

It is not "GTA mode", it is just that the cornering, steering, acceleration and braking are bad even for real standards and anyone who has driven any car past 20 mph (or driven any car at all) must know it.

Last edited:
And you can steal pretty much any car anywhere (even heavy trucks, which can be fun). What you can't do, is own a stolen car, which is a real disappointment to me because this topless beauty is just the most stylish thing in the game.
View attachment 11193571

However, I'd agree that there aren't many quests which require driving, and I'd also agree that the probable reason for that is that the driving control is so poor.
photomode_03032021_001530.jpg

Definitely the best looking car

That is total horseshit. As someone who has driven fast cars (a 959), the driving in CP is just plain bad even when compared to the real-life cars. The Porsche Taycan even whilst driving it on wet road has less floaty steering than ANY CP car on dry roads and the deceleration time and distance from 60mph is equally bad.

It is not "GTA mode", it is just that the cornering, steering, acceleration and braking are bad even for real standards and anyone who has driven any car past 20 mph (or driven any car at all) must know it.

There seems to be some sort of input lag when it comes to driving (both steering and braking) which is less noticeable with a controller.

What I've noticed is that cars tend to behave erratically on slope turns due to the weight distribution, which is realistic and not realistic at the same time.

While I wouldn't put it up there with driving sims, it seems to have more going for it than the floaty soap box handling from GTA or other contemporary open world games.

It's somewhere in between the first TDU on Hardcore mode and Race Drive GRID with driving assists turned off.

Basically if you don't go far beyond your skill level you really shouldn't have any problems.

There seems to be some sort of input lag when it comes to driving (both steering and braking) which is less noticeable with a controller.

What I've noticed is that cars tend to behave erratically on slope turns due to the weight distribution, which is realistic and not realistic at the same time.

While I wouldn't put it up there with driving sims, it seems to have more going for it than the floaty soap box handling from GTA or other contemporary open world games.

It's somewhere in between the first TDU on Hardcore mode and Race Drive GRID with driving assists turned off.

Basically if you don't go far beyond your skill level you really shouldn't have any problems.

Idk, for me it is relative to the tier of the car. It is fine for the Mai Mai to have terrible and imprecise steering given it is an incredibly cheap car, but the hypercars it is just not fine. The Aerondight does not feel like a luxury hyper car in handling, acceleration or even torque distribution as it has too much wheelspin even for a rear-drive--like I mentioned on the other thread comparing it to other high-end rear wheel-drives like the McLaren F1.

Imo in a game like CP the driving should be more "arcadey" as the corners are abundant and traffic jams are common; issue is that CP is neither arcadey nor realistic enough to predict correctly how to drive in certain scenarios. Sometimes you lose all grip for no reason even when you shouldn't.

Idk, for me it is relative to the tier of the car. It is fine for the Mai Mai to have terrible and imprecise steering given it is an incredibly cheap car, but the hypercars it is just not fine. The Aerondight does not feel like a luxury hyper car in handling, acceleration or even torque distribution as it has too much wheelspin even for a rear-drive--like I mentioned on the other thread comparing it to other high-end rear wheel-drives like the McLaren F1.

Imo in a game like CP the driving should be more "arcadey" as the corners are abundant and traffic jams are common; issue is that CP is neither arcadey nor realistic enough to predict correctly how to drive in certain scenarios. Sometimes you lose all grip for no reason even when you shouldn't.

Lol we keep quoting eachother across threads.

I agree with you on both accounts, except for the ability to predict the behavior, the only unpredictibility once I've gotten used to the car was the abnormal sloap bumps that usually sends the rear end fishtailing out of control.

There seems to be some sort of traction control bug or physics issue with the RWD cars going up hill (or down hill in some cases).

Speaking of AI, was doing a gig and all NPC's were on alert the moment I opened a door to a restricted area. They didn't see me open it. Also been playing a lot of MGS Phantom Pain. Wow, major difference in AI there. Hopefully CDPR can fix this or remedy the major issues at the very least.

I've got to the point with my skill level that I can parallel park, turn in the road, and drive right across Night City from the solar farms to the oil fields, all without hitting anything; and there's a sort of mastery satisfaction in being able to do that with such awful controls. But it isn't enjoyable. It takes continuous concentration. Of course, yes, you do need continuous concentration to drive a real car in the real world, and that is (for me, extremely) enjoyable. But it's partly enjoyable because modern cars have extremely smooth, predictable, analogue control inputs.

Can anyone who uses a game controller rather than a keyboard tell me whether the controller gives you analogue steering and acceleration? Because that (for me) would make a huge difference to how enjoyable the game is.

Can anyone who uses a game controller rather than a keyboard tell me whether the controller gives you analogue steering and acceleration? Because that (for me) would make a huge difference to how enjoyable the game is.

That's the basis of my driving experience in the game, I'm using an Xbox One controller and yes it offers a progressive type input in the trigger and the sticks when it comes to cornering, acceleration and brakes.

To be fair, in terms of actual fun, it was much more fun stunt driving with a keyboard than a controller.

With the controller I seem to be more cautious because of the type of input, even with really good reaction times it doesn't stack up to the intermittent input reaction times offered by the keyboard.

I've seen a number of people say it's significantly better (though I'm not sure whether or not that qualifies as what I would consider "good"). The PC controls just seem a bit half-arsed, especially for steering: it's very binary, you're either steering or not, whereas IMHO it should (or at least could) be a product of how long the key is held down; y'know, like the time it takes to turn the steering wheel IRL. Okay, it'd still be slightly annoying having to pulse it to hold a given turn but much less annoying than a system that somehow feels like it's understeering and oversteering at the same time, by which I mean the steering is way too abrupt to start with but the turning circle is then too big. Admittedly that's partly due to me editing the config file to reduce the abruptness at the cost of how much it can turn... it seems there's no really ideal balance though.

It really shouldn't require so much concentration just to stay on the road and not crash into other cars.

They also stop inexplicably in the middle of the freeway. No idea what's going on there.
This. It's incredibly annoying when you're trying to follow the motorway and the car in front of you just stops. Not brake and slowly stops, no. It goes from 100 km/h to 0 within 0.001 seconds and then just stands there.

And the best way to get rid of the problem? Turn your back to it for 1 second. The car despawns and the road is free again.

I honestly don't understand the people who keep writing how they spent 500+ hours in this game and never saw a single bug and it's the best game ever. It's just.. not.

I don't have >500h( 130 to 180 maybe) and I will not claim that is free of bugs,ai issues,driving,visual glitches...but I think that if you accept that the open world is build as a facade for the core of the game and you don't try to consistently break/check its limits is an enjoyable experience(I'm playing Stadia)... is like going to a theater play,you know there are no different rooms and that guy is doing 4 roles. If you cannot (or do not want to) do that exercise,I doubt that any update/patch/mods will make this a game that you can enjoy.

I've seen a number of people say it's significantly better (though I'm not sure whether or not that qualifies as what I would consider "good"). The PC controls just seem a bit half-arsed, especially for steering: it's very binary, you're either steering or not, whereas IMHO it should (or at least could) be a product of how long the key is held down; y'know, like the time it takes to turn the steering wheel IRL.

It's the opposite of this actually, there's a distinct input lag when it comes to steering (accelerating and braking), just observe when you're standing still how long it takes for the wheels to turn fully on their axis once you pressed any of the direction keys.

It's actually doing exactly what you're saying in your comment, and that's the problem.
Post automatically merged:

I honestly don't understand the people who keep writing how they spent 500+ hours in this game and never saw a single bug and it's the best game ever. It's just.. not.

I haven't seen anyone claiming that, at most I've seen people saying that they haven't encountered any game breaking bugs, and I'm one of them with my 260+ hours of game time.

I don't have >500h( 130 to 180 maybe) and I will not claim that is free of bugs,ai issues,driving,visual glitches...but I think that if you accept that the open world is build as a facade for the core of the game and you don't try to consistently break/check its limits is an enjoyable experience(I'm playing Stadia)... is like going to a theater play,you know there are no different rooms and that guy is doing 4 roles. If you cannot (or do not want to) do that exercise,I doubt that any update/patch/mods will make this a game that you can enjoy.
I understand your point, but I just can't do that.

Every time I get a new game, I do the intro and then I'm off to do my own thing. I love just going about and exploring and ignoring the main quest until I feel like advancing it.

I did just that in Cyberpunk 2077 and was met with vanishing traffic, water that did not work, falling between two pipes and insta-dying (because of physics? not sure), objects flickering in and out of existence and so on. It absolutely killed the game for me.

I have 4 hours logged in Cyberpunk 2077 as of now and I'm just waiting for the patches.

I understand your point, but I just can't do that.

Every time I get a new game, I do the intro and then I'm off to do my own thing. I love just going about and exploring and ignoring the main quest until I feel like advancing it.

I did just that in Cyberpunk 2077 and was met with vanishing traffic, water that did not work, falling between two pipes and insta-dying (because of physics? not sure), objects flickering in and out of existence and so on. It absolutely killed the game for me.

I have 4 hours logged in Cyberpunk 2077 as of now and I'm just waiting for the patches.

This is a fair approach, I've done the same thing as you and encountered the same issues but they haven't stopped me from enjoying the game at all.

I suppose I can thank Bethesda and GSC Game World for that, I've been deeply modding and tweaking S.T.A.L.K.E.R., The Elder Scrolls and Fallout for as far as I can remember and they helped me to appreciate the game design and the issues that comes with it more profoundly.

Top Bottom