Costly, painfull, popular - examples of mistakes made by players

+
...The only rule of posting is to ilustrate mistake by screen from the battlefield, to made it more clear that only verbal expression...

I was going to post on this topic and since you already have a thread for something like I planned on posting about, I might as well post it here...without a picture, as it wasn't worth recording. Hey. I'm a rebel!

I played against a Vly deck in seasonal mode today with a poorly researched Witcher based deck for my Nor faction. I'm pretty sure that I won the first round, as I had good value from my bs witcher units. It's possible that the round was a draw, but I don't think so.

Anyway, my opponent was having a dream run with Vly, pulling it out of their arse at will and racking up a HUGE lead in round two...over 40 points.

So, with two cards left in their hand, they...passed.

I won the match with my next card. Can you guess what it was? It rhymes with Jennifer! Give up?

What do you think that the person's mistake was here? I mean, it could be anything, right? Maybe they thought that they had won round 1? I've made that mistake myself at times! Maybe they didn't think that I was packing a Geralt or whatever?

I'd add that sometimes people just can't count. They go more cards down than they need to because of this, hurting their chances of winning round 3. On the other hand, I have seen a few times people going a card or two down and still winning the match. Obviously some people are better with this strategy. I wouldn't want to waste a card when my opponent has passed and the card that I play still leaves me behind. Yet people do this to me sometimes. I'll take it.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Lately, with a weird ST deck, ive seen many opponents doing the same mistake, which reveals a lack of knowledge of trap cards and mechanics:

I use Mahakam Horn on that deck, among some other traps find decent.
If you know all the traps and how they work, its possible to predict which one it is: if you play a unit, it will trigger 3 of the 6 possible traps.
If you play a special and it doesnt trigger, its not serpent trap.
And if more than 2 turns go by, its not crushing trap, so in that case, by exclusion, its a Mahakam Horn.

A Mahakam Horn is 8pts if it has units on both sides, but ive had many opponents using their heatwave on 4/5/6pt units instead of using it on the trap. I strongly suspect these players dont know...

PSA: you can use your Heatwave on a face-down trap, it still counts as an artefact and its often the best play you could do (it can deny a crushing trap that would do more damage than the pts of the biggest enemy unit, for example)

First time I played my Monster deck with Keltullis, I made the mistake of playing Keltullis as the first card as the starting player. Needless to say, as the only card on the board, and on the side of board with the most cards, it self-destructed. Doh!

DRK3

Forum veteran
Just played vs an opponent with the SK Geralt avatar (1000 SK Wins), so i assumed he knew what i was doing...

We're both playing NG, im on blue coin and use ramon on a soldier, he poisons my ramon, i use my crystal skull to give veil to ramon and deny the second poison.

At this moment, i considered my opponent might be an evil genius, and poisoned the ramon instead of the engine, so that i used the stratagem on him, then he would Yen Invo it and use it for himself later...

Nope, he then played cadaverine on ramon, and after it didnt kill it, shameforfeited. :shrug:
Turns out he was just a really bad player, which made me feel sad, as another SK main who expected someone sporting a trinket that requires a lot of experience to not make such newbie mistakes (we all make mistakes from distraction, but this didnt seem to be that case or i wouldnt be so critical of this opponent)

Just played vs an opponent with the SK Geralt avatar (1000 SK Wins), so i assumed he knew what i was doing...

We're both playing NG, im on blue coin and use ramon on a soldier, he poisons my ramon, i use my crystal skull to give veil to ramon and deny the second poison.

At this moment, i considered my opponent might be an evil genius, and poisoned the ramon instead of the engine, so that i used the stratagem on him, then he would Yen Invo it and use it for himself later...

Nope, he then played cadaverine on ramon, and after it didnt kill it, shameforfeited. :shrug:
Turns out he was just a really bad player, which made me feel sad, as another SK main who expected someone sporting a trinket that requires a lot of experience to not make such newbie mistakes (we all make mistakes from distraction, but this didnt seem to be that case or i wouldnt be so critical of this opponent)
But the question is considered Drummond Villagers interaction with a Veiled Unit (applying bleeding to a Veiled allied Unit and afterwards to a enemy Unit) did Cadaverine still spawn a copy of Ramon? Because I was already wondering myself how cadaverine interacts with a veiled unit, so if it was on Casual it could have been that the opponent just wanted to try that out.

But the question is considered Drummond Villagers interaction with a Veiled Unit (applying bleeding to a Veiled allied Unit and afterwards to a enemy Unit) did Cadaverine still spawn a copy of Ramon?
If using Imposter on veiled unit creates one on your side, why should Cadaverine work otherwise? They both worded in the same manner.

If using Imposter on veiled unit creates one on your side, why should Cadaverine work otherwise? They both worded in the same manner.
Yes I assumed it should work like this, but since DRK3 now has seen this interaction anyway I think it doesn't hurt to ask for confirmation since you most likely won't encounter this interaction (wasting a poison) very often.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yes I assumed it should work like this, but since DRK3 now has seen this interaction anyway I think it doesn't hurt to ask for confirmation since you most likely won't encounter this interaction (wasting a poison) very often.

Yes i can confirm the cadaverine my opponent used still created a copy of the veiled unit he tried to poison.

75% of my losses are because of misplays. That doesn't mean I would have won but I would have better chances. One of the silliest. Starting the round with Kelly on melee row.

75% of my losses are because of misplays. That doesn't mean I would have won but I would have better chances. One of the silliest. Starting the round with Kelly on melee row.
Kelly?

Many times I've had opponents units play units on the wrong row, meaning that they can't activate its orders. I make that mistake myself sometimes too.

I've passed in the first round thinking I had it in the bag and ended up loosing the round, then passed in the second forgetting I had lost the first. By the time I realized what I had done it was already too late. Needless to say, I felt pretty dumb with that mistake. My take away from that was, always be sure before you pass the round.

Kelly?

Many times I've had opponents units play units on the wrong row, meaning that they can't activate its orders. I make that mistake myself sometimes too.
Well with Kelly (keltulis) he just destroys himself. Pretty embarrasing. But I have done it and seen it. Wrong placement like redanian archers, longships, etc. are commonly occurred in my games. Not the most concentrated player in the game by far
Post automatically merged:

Still, probably not as bad as playing Kelly and having it immediately explode...
Not only that. I did it with extra cockiness and a big smirk on my face.

I've passed in the first round thinking I had it in the bag and ended up loosing the round, then passed in the second forgetting I had lost the first. By the time I realized what I had done it was already too late. Needless to say, I felt pretty dumb with that mistake. My take away from that was, always be sure before you pass the round.
I've made a point for ages of having a way of keeping tabs who won what round and what the final round is (in case the first round is a draw).

A lot of NG Double Cross Ball players don't seem to know how Villentretenmerth exactly works in multiple ranked match-ups the NG players used Yennefer Invocation to remove my Villentretenmerth and directly afterwards played Coupé de Grace on Joachim putting the Villentretenmerth back on the Board :ROFLMAO:

When I was finishing Imposter mastery (2 games away at that point) I was matched against symbiosis; my deck has almost every lock you can put (even Vigo's muzzle), so even after purify from my opponent the next lock would be used.

However, that is usual stuff. The irregular things started at the beginning of 3-rd round. Since I have Lemmens in that deck I decided to brick his Forest protector by deleting any bronze nature cards; I believed it won't be for long, especially after second cat witcher coming on board and damaging Lemmens to 5 - rebuke comes on Lemmens and Forest protector will not be bricked. However, opponent let him live. As you can guess, Protector remained without targets. But to be fair it wouldn't have saved him - the point difference was 37-40 in my favour before his last play.

P. S. Almost forgot - I also had Phillipe van Mourlegem on board which opponent didn't kill as well and because of that he eventually lost all his symbiosis from Eithne: wrath of Brocilon.

DRK3

Forum veteran
A lot of NG Double Cross Ball players don't seem to know how Villentretenmerth exactly works in multiple ranked match-ups the NG players used Yennefer Invocation to remove my Villentretenmerth and directly afterwards played Coupé de Grace on Joachim putting the Villentretenmerth back on the Board :ROFLMAO:
I've had a similar situation, but with Ivar Evil Eye - he saw the amazing value i got out of it, Yen Invo'it, played it with Coup, and it played for negative points... shame forfeit a few seconds later...

Anyway, to be fair, and not give the impression only my opponents make mistakes while i dont, even yesterday there was a Villentretenmerth on board, set to kill the opponents Ciri Nova, and i play a create card, get so focused on which is better, i end up selecting Gerd, which is also 8pts and is burned by Villen, costing me the game :cry:

Top Bottom