Votes: 6 25.0%
  • 8-10 years

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 10-12 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Longer than 12 years

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

I know game isn't mean to keep up with the level of detail often shown in graphics, but I was just left wondering how long is it going to take from processing power increase to get that level of detail? It's almost inseparable for actual real life movies.

Maybe after 8 years there's going to be like 4-8 times the processing power and Nvidia has worked some magic with the DLSS and we're gonna get that type of performance.

If there's anyone reading this who worked on the trailer, I'd like to know what's the computational demand for that trailer and how far must we look forward for that kind of detail. How long did it take for high end PC to render a single image? Thanks :)

Might as well put a poll there to ask other peoples opinion who've might have worked on similar projects or anyone just to give their own guess.

I bet the sequel is going to look SICK whenever that comes out in 4-8 years later.

(Also I know there's going to be anime series in 2022 but I was just wondering if CDPR has any plans for creating movies / series with the same engine they created the trailers. I'd totally go to watch those.)

Last edited:
graphics in game already have that level of detail, its just third person, and edited like a movie. The main problem now isn't the capability of the hardware, its the amount of time and energy to create that much content.

also its a numbers game as well, can you have hundreds of those objects at once?

Ingame Graphics are already pretty close in quality.
photomode_16022021_234635.png

photomode_17022021_062859.png
photomode_17022021_063006.png

Ingame Graphics are already pretty close in quality.

Yeah I guess if you crank everything to the maximum and remove DLSS (which makes the visuals a little blurry) but then you got like 15 fps in full HD.

I still think the visuals in trailer are far from what we're able to witness, especially the lighting and reflections (and the details of the background) when the car enters in front of the motel is pretty sick.

Way more than 12 years. Can't say I'm confident we'll ever reach that point. I mean, we will but maybe not in my lifetime and I'm not that old.

Heck, we still haven't reached the original World of Warcraft trailer's level of quality in a game. That was released over 17 years ago. Granted, it's Blizzard which has been known for the quality of it's CG for a long time and only keeps delivering top tier CG.

The level of photorealism, physic, particles, lightning effects and the sheer number of models required to reach the level of that extremely old CG trailer is still far out of reach of gamers. Let alone newer CGs that are just incredible to look at.

nobody said this was a gameplay trailer
op must be new to gaming

cp2077 graphics are absolutely fantastic

You misunderstood, OP is aware this isn't a gameplay trailer. That's the exact point of the thread. How long until we reach that point in-game.

mbrto

Forum regular
Way more than 12 years. Can't say I'm confident we'll ever reach that point. I mean, we will but maybe not in my lifetime and I'm not that old.

Heck, we still haven't reached the original World of Warcraft trailer's level of quality in a game. That was released over 17 years ago. Granted, it's Blizzard which has been known for the quality of it's CG for a long time and only keeps delivering top tier CG.

The level of photorealism, physic, particles, lightning effects and the sheer number of models required to reach the level of that extremely old CG trailer is still far out of reach of gamers. Let alone newer CGs that are just incredible to look at.

You misunderstood, OP is aware this isn't a gameplay trailer. That's the exact point of the thread. How long until we reach that point in-game.
you are right, my bad
sorry op

Phair

Forum regular
The graphics in this game are already excellent!
Also some people are realizing they need a new computer, or learn how to utilized properly the components they have.
Because I play the game on Max settings, and never go below 60fps that I have noticed.

Most of the people having problems with the graphics, don't realize how important it is that all the components of their computer be optimized. You can put the best graphics card in a computer, and a game can still run like crap if you don't pay attention to the rest of the computer. A quality GPU, CPU, fast memory chips, and a good monitor with high refresh rate are all needed.

We are already close to that Quality. i would say 4 - 6 years (but this can be drastically longer, if the gpu shortages and card prices stay like this)

I am not sure if i understand the question, but here is my take.

I work with CG and i make games as a hobby, the difference between the two are smaller each year.

If you take for example Unreal Engine, their new target are movie makers, and the engine can do some crazy stuff, i don´t use UE in my work just because the workflow, the program is to make games, so a lot of infos we don´t need when making CG, but we still have to setup everything and this is very time consuming.

There is a huge difference when making a CG and a game, this difference is optimization, in CG we don´t care if the model have millions of polygons because we don´t expect the frame to be ready in real time, in games a million poly model had to be optimized in more LOD levels, but the model can be the same, another example is physics, in CG a million poly model can collide with another million poly model (clothes for example), in games we need to make a invisible model to handle the collision, so you are not colliding millions of polys, but just a few that are deforming a bone, again, the workflow takes more time, but the end result can be almost the same.

So... yes, we can have trailer like games, the limitations are no longer the hardware, but the time to make it.

The 90s to 2009 (or so) they were in a mad push to drive GC but then hit a wall concerning heat and the speed/quantity of the calculations. Now we make much smaller leaps in the GC progress. At least compared to the leaps we were doing before.

The computing power we need to do this in the home on the fly in a game will probably need to be Quantum computers. We are getting close to that but I would not be surprised if it is more than 10 years away.

Edit: On the other hand the software companies now want us to NOT have PC as we know it in the home and instead have "stations" so they can stream the game (and other programs) to use instead! I would hate that but I will not go into why just now. Anyway if they do that sooner than 10 years then we could have the realistic graphics even for lower budget games inside that time as well. They would have the supercomputers (that exist now) on their end do the work and then send the sound and images back to your station.

The affordable realistic graphics will probably be the evil way they get us all on board with the "stations". First in games then more serious programs... The same way they got us to accept on line requirement programs now.

Funny to think about it but as much as I complain about how America has some of the slowest internet in the world that slow streaming may be the thing keeping my PC nightmare scenario from happening for now. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The 90s to 2009 (or so) they were in a mad push to drive GC but then hit a wall concerning heat and the speed/quantity of the calculations. Now we make much smaller leaps in the GC progress. At least compared to the leaps we were doing before.

The computing power we need to do this in the home on the fly in a game will probably need to be Quantum computers. We are getting close to that but I would not be surprised if it is more than 10 years away.

Edit: On the other hand the software companies now want us to NOT have PC as we know it in the home and instead have "stations" so they can stream the game (and other programs) to use instead! I would hate that but I will not go into why just now. Anyway if they do that sooner than 10 years then we could have the realistic graphics even for lower budget games inside that time as well. They would have the supercomputers (that exist now) on their end do the work and then send the sound and images back to your station.

The affordable realistic graphics will probably be the evil way they get us all on board with the "stations". First in games then more serious programs... The same way they got us to accept on line requirement programs now.

Funny to think about it but as much as I complain about how America has some of the slowest internet in the world that slow streaming may be the thing keeping my PC nightmare scenario from happening for now. :ROFLMAO:

It's not so much the software companies. It's companies able to pull off the streaming trying to get in on a multi billion dollar industry that has grown exponentially over the last two decades and is set to keep growing at an alarming rate for, at least, the next decade. Rivaling and getting ahead of industries that have been established for far longer.

I can assure you that software companies do not care how you access their product. As long as you paid for it.

Thing is, all the big players have failed to generate the kind of interest they needed to truly make it happen.

Google has the know how, the tech, name recognition, partners, etc. You name it, they have it. They've shown it can be done but they've also shown that there just isn't that much interest in it. Enough that even they are slowly starting to move away from Stadia.

I'm not worried about "stations" taking over the regular home PC anytime soon.

I'm not worried about "stations" taking over the regular home PC anytime soon.

I really hope you are right, I really do. But they said the same thing for on line required software in 2009. Autodesk CEO said they wanted to start this kind of thing then but said they had too much customer pushback on the idea. Now look at us. At least at my work ALL of our programs and software is now all internet depended. Everything from accounting to the warehouse stock to engineering to EVEN THE TELLPHONES! When the internet goes down they send us all home...

DC9V

Forum veteran
A game trailer will never be able to look like the finished game even if it's made from real gameplay.

Compared to playing the guitar:
You can play a fancy chord (e.g. DbΔ7(#11)) and it sounds really nice but it might not sound as good in combination with other instruments, so you decide to play a more simple version which contains only three notes of it and it will fit in many other scenarios, too.

A game trailer will never be able to look like the finished game even if it's made from real gameplay.

Compared to playing the guitar:
You can play a fancy chord (e.g. DbΔ7(#11)) and it sounds really nice but it might not sound as good in combination with other instruments, so you decide to play a more simple version which contains only three notes of it and it will fit in many other scenarios, too.

exactly, I think consumers need to realize that time/manhours are the main limit to high end game design at this point. huge leaps in the efficiency of creation software would probably be the bigger difference.

Top Bottom