Playstation Store

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that if you buy the disc version of the game, then upgrade to PS5, you are S.O.L. and have to buy the game again. I considered that, but then it occurred to me that I might replace my PS4 with an XBox, so I might as well just buy the XBox digital version when I do that.
Not sure that's true, I'm pretty sure in the cdpr literature it says that you get a free upgrade to the next gen version if you have the ps4 disc

My understanding is that if you buy the disc version of the game, then upgrade to PS5, you are S.O.L. and have to buy the game again. I considered that, but then it occurred to me that I might replace my PS4 with an XBox, so I might as well just buy the XBox digital version when I do that.
Not sure that's true, I'm pretty sure in the cdpr literature it says that you get a free upgrade to the next gen version if you have the ps4 disc
That's correct, it's right on their technical support page. Free upgrade to next-gen software if you own the PS4 edition.
Screenshot 2021-02-28 163809.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-28 163809.jpg

Not to be negative, but I feel that Sony Playstation is being very hypocritcal. They had massive issues upon their PS5 release, as well as problems from previous console releases. It is often an open discussion about whether to wait or buy the new Playstation console or wait for them to iron out the kinks, as they do not stress test them. That said, one person's fault does not excuse another, but it makes a bad image to insult and hold others to a standard that you cannot keep yourself.

Not to be negative, but I feel that Sony Playstation is being very hypocritcal. They had massive issues upon their PS5 release, as well as problems from previous console releases. It is often an open discussion about whether to wait or buy the new Playstation console or wait for them to iron out the kinks, as they do not stress test them. That said, one person's fault does not excuse another, but it makes a bad image to insult and hold others to a standard that you cannot keep yourself.

It's certainly always touch and go with them, I remember not bothering at the time with a PS3 because it was a £billion for a machine that (according to all reports at least) overheated for fun and had marginally more memory than the old family Commodore Vic 20. I picked up a 'superslim' 500gb end-life model a year or so ago and it purrs through most games, so I trust them to get it right somewhere down the line. On the other hand my 2002 phat PS2 still runs fine with maintenance and the PS4 is an original phat 500gb and runs as well as you'd expect. As for the finger-pointing, standard issue tactic, try get everyone to look the other way. Nice try sony, but we're having none of it ;)

CDPR has clearly privileged Microsoft due to marketing agreements, as it can be seen by the fact that the game runs better on Xbox 1S than on PS4 (which is more performing) and that PS4 pro doesn't have the choice between FPS and graphics mode contrary to 1X.
I've read almost the same argument on Twitter about AC:V :) Although nobody could name the secret agreement between Ubisoft and Microsoft.
Financial it would make no sense: there was 114 mio. PS4 and 70 mio. Xbox sold, I think. So almost 2/3 against 1/3.

But to go half way ontopic: is the PS4 capable to run 2 modes? I just have the PS4 without Pro. Really can't remember.

I've read almost the same argument on Twitter about AC:V :) Although nobody could name the secret agreement between Ubisoft and Microsoft.
Financial it would make no sense: there was 114 mio. PS4 and 70 mio. Xbox sold, I think. So almost 2/3 against 1/3.

But to go half way ontopic: is the PS4 capable to run 2 modes? I just have the PS4 without Pro. Really can't remember.
Base PS4 can't run 2 modes same as Xbox 1s, while pro and 1x can run 2 modes when available. Cyberpunk is the first game where one of the 2 mid gen can run 2 modes while the other can't.

Regarding the agreement, it's a thing. Microsoft paid CDPR to show the game on their stage at 2 E3 and they made the custom Xbox 1x. I'm not saying that MS paid to make the game worse on PS4 because that's insane, but I think that since the time was very short, CDPR focused on Xbox due to the agreement.

Last edited:
I think folks are misunderstanding this question. I don't want a PS5 version. I just want to be able to play this version on my ps5 digital. Why dosent cdpr just allow physical copy holders to just have the digital license so they can throw away their old ps4 and play this on ps5 digital????

Out of curiosity, can you transfer it from your PS4 to your PS5? A quick search indicates there are various ways to transfer a PS4 title over to a PS5. I don't know if it's possible with a PS4 disc -> digital PS5 but it's worth looking into it.

One would think they would have put provisions in place for this sort of thing by now. Granted, it might make too much logical sense. So.... maybe not. :)

Out of curiosity, can you transfer it from your PS4 to your PS5? A quick search indicates there are various ways to transfer a PS4 title over to a PS5. I don't know if it's possible with a PS4 disc -> digital PS5 but it's worth looking into it.

One would think they would have put provisions in place for this sort of thing by now. Granted, it might make too much logical sense. So.... maybe not. :)
You can only transfer disc to disc or digital to digital.

Disc to digital is obviously not possible otherwise a lent disc would become dozens of digital copies.

You can only transfer disc to disc or digital to digital.

I was afraid that would be the case.

Disc to digital is obviously not possible otherwise a lent disc would become dozens of digital copies.

Not if there is a system in place to validate the license and mark it as "in use" at the point of install.

On an unrelated note.... Looking into whether you can hook up an external optical drive via USB to install a physical disc game on a digital only PS5 might be a potential workaround as well. Unless Sony decided such functionality wasn't necessary in their new and improved marvel of engineering.

I was afraid that would be the case.

Not if there is a system in place to validate the license and mark it as "in use" at the point of install.

On an unrelated note.... Looking into whether you can hook up an external optical drive via USB to install a physical disc game on a digital only PS5 might be a potential workaround as well. Unless Sony decided such functionality wasn't necessary in their new and improved marvel of engineering.
Thing is, there's no license system in old games and they should put it only in the new ones, which would make things even more confusing for the average customer: some games can be converted and some no? It doesn't work.
Just buy the console with the optical drive. Sony is also very clear with that.

Regarding USB drive, you can install PS4 games (not PS5 games until a compatible SSD will be on market) on it and play after formatting the drive via PlayStation. Ofc you can transfer games to another console but they need to be the digital version. Disc version always requires the disc (don't know what file is not copied that requires you to have the disc). To boot those games, you need to be logged as the user who bought them. I don't know how those are signed or if it requires internet connection, I've never tried. But for sure you can't illigally download a game, copy it in the USB drive and boot it.

It's exactly the same on Xbox.

Yes, the disk version is updated every time a patch is released. Source: I played the game on PS5.

Regarding the OP, the game will be back once it will run properly, after 3 months it still crashes on PS5, not to mention the other versions. Unpopular opinion: Sony did the right thing, companies should stop releasing early access games at full price. I hope this situation will make Sony more strict when certifying games in the future, we need more "protection" (can't find the proper English word) from scummy companies and their false advertisement.

Also, as I always say: it's just our fault if we are in this situation, pre-ordering the game told CDPR "do whatever you want, you have our money already".

P.S. better refound policy from Sony would be appreciated.
Thanks for the info. Yes, the ability to pre-order video games should NOT be a thing. I don't know how or who could stop this practice, but it needs to end.

I'm really surprised that after patch 1.11 the PS4 is still having major issues. I was glad my Xbox One X runs it much better for me and that I was able to get through 2 runs.

How can you say it was a mistake for CDPR to make the game available on old gen consoles when nobody in the entire world has the next gen consoles, save for a tiny portion of people, mainly content creators or those who bought scalped systems. Your general public doesn't fall into either category. They promised consoles 7 years ago and next gen wasn't available then, so it's pretty much a mute point. Nobody can use that as an excuse.
Post automatically merged:

Funniest thing is the PS4 hadn't even been released when CP2077 was announced. It wasn't even "current gen" at that time, let alone "last gen". During late 2012 to mid 2013, Some gamers were legitimately asking if the game was for PS3 or PS4.

Funniest thing is the PS4 hadn't even been released when CP2077 was announced. It wasn't even "current gen" at that time, let alone "last gen". During late 2012 to mid 2013, Some gamers were legitimately asking if the game was for PS3 or PS4.
I know. That statement had me scratching my head as there were many others saying it. It wasn't any of our collective faults that CDPR waited until the last minute to put this game together or that they decided a few months prior to add support for the PS5 and Series X. It's 16 Feb 2021 and I still can't buy a Series X online and I certainly haven't seen any in an actual store. This is predicted to be the case through all of 2021 unless you buy one at massively high scalped price (I won't do that). So, CDPR just better get their act together and finish up with 1.2. I have no sympathy for this company after the release they had.

1616224182772.png

I already bought the game twice (PS4 disc & PC) and I now own a PS5 digital. If I had to buy it a third time I would be "slightly" pissed aka I would simply not buy it again. I really hope CDPR didn't lie in that tweet. Especially since I wasn't able to play the game in an acceptable state on my PS4 when I bought it.

Last edited:
View attachment 11197882
I already bought the game twice (PS4 disc & PC) and I now own a PS5 digital. If I had to buy it a third time I would be "slightly" pissed aka I would simply not buy it again. I really hope CDPR didn't lie in that tweet. Especially since I wasn't able to play the game in an acceptable state on my PS4 when I bought it.

Rather than upgrading my PS4 to PS5, I decided to switch to XBox and abandon my PS games. I suppose I can just fire up the PS4 when I want to play one.

I don't own CP2077 on PS. I can't. Sony won't let me buy it. As soon as my XBox arrives, later this month, I will pick up CP2077 there. The way that Sony blocked CP2077 rubbed me wrong and contributed to that decision.

(P.S. - the reply reminded me to cancel my PS Plus auto-renew)

Last edited:
Rather than upgrading my PS4 to PS5, I decided to switch to XBox and abandon my PS games. I suppose I can just fire up the PS4 when I want to play one.

I don't own CP2077 on PS. I can't. Sony won't let me buy it. As soon as my XBox arrives, later this month, I will pick up CP2077 there. The way that Sony blocked CP2077 rubbed me wrong and contributed to that decision.

(P.S. - the reply reminded me to cancel my PS Plus auto-renew)
I think it's a good thing that Sony removed the game from the store. That and every single refund raises the pressure for CDPR to finish the game - and it serves the developers because they always said that the game wasn't finished and ready for release (if that leak on reddit is true).
And dude - the PS5 is so much more than Cyberpunk 2077. I just platinumed Demon's Souls and that game is just incredible in every aspect. Plus there is so much more to come.
But I'm also thinking about buying an XBox as an addition to be able to play Bethesda exclusives. We'll see. I already have a PC with an okayish GPU so I don't know if that'll really add so much for me. I just like playing on my TV with a good controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom