What’s new in Night City? [Patch 1.2 development insight]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude it says at the bottom its only some of the things they're patching.... FULL PATCH NOTES COMING LATER!
Do you honestly think they have something better than this? Then why not use THAT as a highlight to reassure the masses.

The only thing they have going for them now is the setting and amazing graphics. Arguably the story aswell. Everything else has been done before, only better.
Im out, see you in two years maybe.

At least all these speculations and polls about CP2077 following NMS route will end.

Well, probably. I guess some people might refuse to stop dreaming about "the police chases in the next patch".

Police chases are already coded into the game, they just don't really work properly. The developers mentioned that this police hotfix is only the beginning of the changes to the system, so I don't really see that as an unrealistic expectation as of yet.

As to whether or not the actual patch is big enough to justify calling it the start of a comeback, I'll reserve judgement until I see the actual patch notes. If these minor QoL updates are the sum of new features, then I want to see a long list of bug fixes and significant boosts in performance on consoles (and perhaps even PC as well for those lower-end rigs out there).

I would like to clarify on my comments a little angry. Cyberpunk 2077 has been one of the best games I have played in my life (I am 43 years old and have been enjoying games for many decades). I know like all the shortcomings cyberpunk 2077 has and what improvements it needs to make it simply more impressive than it is. That is why I speak from emotion and respect to this great work "half finished" and GREAT IMPROVEMENTS AND GREAT NEWS OF GREAT WORKS ON THE GAME are needed. When the patch comes out I will give my assessment as a customer who has bought this game, I do not want to be more inflammatory, I am sorry but CDPR communicates in the announcement of a patch that there will be more changes to prevent us from drawing conclusions that may be wrong.
I agree with you. I just react to your post because you were visibly impacted about the lack of information in this insight.
And if it was all the changes for the next update in this insight... I would be upset for sure but I'm just waiting for the whole patch notes and then I will thank CDPR or I will express my disappointement.

Police chases are already coded into the game, they just don't really work properly.

Yes. And there's a reason why they don't work properly. And they still won't work properly 4 months after the game was released.

CDPR tried to implement car chases and failed. Some gigs that involve car chases were cut off (one can "enjoy" them with the use of saved games that can be found on Nexus). One can also initiate some car chases in Badlands (Militech) and in NC (NCPD). They, obviously, do not work as intended -- the driving AI is not up to the task (it has some serious problems with following the player and/or the road).

I think that we will never see any car chases in the game. CDPR could not make them work properly in this engine (as an important and bug-free part of all these complicated game systems that, as we know, still have their own unresolved problems that need to be patched). The remnants of this unfinished feature show that AI has some serious problems with maneuvering through obstacles, following the player, simulating collisions and registering the environment (and other NPCs). Mind that there's no sophisticated "driving AI" in the game: vehicles follow prescripted path and are not able to change it during their "lifespan".

CDPR could not make policemen arrive (spawn) in the cars at the crime scene... There are no motorcycles on the streets of NC... And we want some car chases?

IMHO implementing car chases would require a complete redesign of AI (and e.g. collision/pathfiding) systems in the game and, hence, many weeks of testing. It is not going to happen any time soon. And I dare to say: it's not going to happen at all.

I hope I am wrong...

Last edited:
That's quite underwhelming.. Considering the time this patch was released on. Again i get they had problems with hackers and such but modders already fixed plenty of issues..

Beside..

The game is still a barren wasteland with almost total lack of branching narrative and zero relevant open world activity beside: pew pew pew...

Come on cdpr you can do way better than this.

Yes. And there's a reason why they don't work properly. And they still won't work properly 4 months after the game was released.

CDPR tried to implement car chases and failed. Some gigs that involve car chases were cut off (one can "enjoy" them with the use of saved games that can be found on Nexus). One can also initiate some car chases in Badlands (Militech) and in NC (NCPD). They, obviously, do not work as intended -- the driving AI is not up to the task (it has some serious problems with following the player and/or the road).

I think that we will never see any car chases in the game. CDPR could not make them work properly in this engine (as an important and bug-free part of all these complicated game systems that, as we know, still have their own unresolved problems that needs to be patched). The remnants of this unfinished feature show that AI has some serious problems with maneuvering through obstacles, following the player, simulating collisions and registering the environment (and other NPCs). Mind that there's no sophisticated "driving AI" in the game: vehicles follow prescripted path and are not able to change it during their "lifespan".

IMHO implementing car chases would require a complete redesign of AI (and e.g. collision) systems in the game and, hence, many weeks of testing. It is not going to happen any time soon. And I dare to say: it's not going to happen at all.

I hope I am wrong...

It's been about 3 and 1/3 months (3 months and 11 days, exactly), and the way some gamers are rounding this up to 4 is actually kinda funny to me. I've seen some people call it 5 months, even, which is some interesting gamer math.

When you consider that a month of development time was lost due to a hack that some people cheered about on reddit and Twitter, I have to be real - I'm not that sympathetic towards the "its been X months" stance. I would even go so far as to say that progress has been coming along at a decent pace when you consider how much work has to be put into making the game more stable on consoles before serious gameplay tweaks can even be considered.

As to the meat of the issue regarding car AI, the general consensus is that the game was rushed, and this idea is supported by the reporting Jason Schreier did on the issue. This leaves a legitimate question as to whether the devs can't get car chases to work properly, or if they simply didn't have time to given release deadlines.

And let's give the developers some credit here - there are aspects of this game that show passion and a finely crafted attention to detail (especially in regards to the character development of the game's supporting characters), so I think that the developers are capable of putting the needed effort into fixing the system and will at least attempt to. Also consider that the studio will want to recover as much goodwill from gamers as they're able to for future projects, which means addressing prominent criticisms like the state of police A.I.

Finally, if none of my above ramblings were convincing, consider the broader state of car AI. Do you think that the devs are incapable of creating a car pathing system that can navigate around objects in the road, for example? To me, this very much feels like an aspect of the game that is simply unfinished rather than something that was scrapped due to engine limitations or insufficient ability on the part of the dev team.

Do you honestly think they have something better than this? Then why not use THAT as a highlight to reassure the masses.

The only thing they have going for them now is the setting and amazing graphics. Arguably the story aswell. Everything else has been done before, only better.
Im out, see you in two years maybe.
I do and its gonna be AMAZING!

Honestly, it seems quite obvious to me:

1) their priority right now is to bring the game back on Playstation Store, since performance on older consoles is BAD.

2) adding car chases at this point would mean adding MORE things on screen, taxing the system even more, and make performance on said consoles WORSE than it is now.

3) we're not getting car chases until performance on older consoles is CDPR's primary concern. Or DLCs for that matter, or anything other then bug fixes, QoL improvements, and other things that aren't going to make the game even more of a slideshow that it already is on old consoles.

4) The majority of people bought the game for old-gen consoles, NOT for high-end pcs, so it's perfectly normal they're concentrating on fixing performance first.

Realistically.

Another year minimum.

Cyberpunk 2077: Enhanced Edition - $40USD. Probably going to be game people pick up on sale by then.

Most of those major changes shown were things fixed througn mods anyway. I just don't know if they have the manpower/commitment to revamp so many of the in game systems/mechanics.

Last edited:
Realistically.

Another year minimum.

Cyberpunk 2077: Enhanced Edition - $40USD. Probably going to be game people pick up on sale by then.

I heard rumors that a GotY version was already in the works. If that's true, then its release would probably be a good time for people who are growing impatient with the development cycle to check back in on things.

Apriciate the clever report. But the preview... I think I will have to lower my expectations even more...

I see and read everything... some stuff there mods already fixed before 1.1...
My impression is, the marketing team have much more resources than the development team.
But at least now the famous 1.2 will be out...

I think the 18,000 online in Steam right now are doing fine, as are my brother currently at 320 hours and myself at 412. Too bad you couldn't enjoy it, but it's good to see you've moved on.

I'm just curious what you find interesting after so much time in the game? Doing the same quests over again with little variation isn't that interesting. The RPG mechanics don't really require much thought, so it's not that interesting. The combat is mediocre, as difficulty mostly increases due to numbers getting bigger, and there is nothing really in the way of new mechanics to learn... so not very interesting. For a one and done type of game, it was a decent time.

I'm just curious what you find interesting after so much time in the game? Doing the same quests over again with little variation isn't that interesting. The RPG mechanics don't really require much thought, so it's not that interesting. The combat is mediocre, as difficulty mostly increases due to numbers getting bigger, and there is nothing really in the way of new mechanics to learn... so not very interesting. For a one and done type of game, it was a decent time.

So you're saying there's a chance? That you might like it if I can convince you? You did say you're curious. I'll start typing out my 30 page dissertation.... NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom