What’s new in Night City? [Patch 1.2 development insight]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, thank the developers for their efforts on the updating;
Second, I have to say, the "Highlight" video is a total disaster [...]

When you say "Patch 1.2 goes beyond any of our previous updates", as player, we hope CDPR to focus on those bottom layer things that would not be simply done in an hour by a volunteer. Or, you want us to think that, the "Highlight" part of months' hard work is just like that? It is not a daily hot-fix, it is the "Highlight” of “Patch goes beyond any of our previous updates", some very simple works are not suitable here.

When a shortcut key modification can even be an official “Highlight” in video? Even the total fresh Modder doesn’t think this is a huge job. Oh my god, what happened inside CDPR?

Fixing the navigating mechanical of AI so police can actually chase, this is far more important than simply change the spawn distance and spawn sequence. And we already see a semi-finished chasing system in game, why not continue to finish it first?

The driving system updating is good and I like it. The experience update at low FPS is an important improvement. But we are looking for an in-game vehicle modification system. Only one more step, just an official UI and you can allow players to improve their cars' physics parameters. Or the simplest, add some cyberware plug-ins that allow to change driving experience between different pre-set modes, it doesnt need UI work.

I sincerely hope that CDPR can work at a sufficient speed, not only for my PC version, but also for the console market, next-generation consoles, multiplayer mode and online mode. and more. But now the information in this video. . . is confusing. I hope that the 1.2 patch can be proved to have far more hardcore content.

Last edited:
any if this patch is gonna happen sometime in this century? hope it released by the end of mount as they said first half we already at @

Guest 3847602

Fixing the navigating mechanical of AI so police can actually chase, this is far more important than simply change the spawn distance and spawn sequence. And we already see a semi-finished chasing system in game, why not continue to finish it first?
Fixing remaining bugs, glitches and performance issues and introducing QoL improvements should take a back seat so they can focus all their efforts on ultra sophisticated police chase system that's going to be used in "Rebel! Rebel!" and nowhere else?

Looks like I was wrong, I used to think the CD in CDPR stood for "Constant Delays" but now I realize it's actually "Continuous Disappointment".

It's kind of hard not to be disappointed when their "huge" update are 3/4 things third party modders have already found a way to address

This is an important step in addressing the behavior of the police in our game."

So this is just a change to spawn points of police and nothing more? It sounds like the actual fix to police AI will come in a future update that wasn't outlined in their 2021-2022 release calendar?

You want reasons? Ok Lets have some real talk.
ok
On the videos, they have disabled the ability to have critical feedback. So yes damage control, 100 percent, and anyone that disagrees has zero ability to read a room.
tbh i dont see it as damage control, more like "let's drop this for the ones who are actually really enjoying the game.. let's disable comments and ratings so we can laugh together with the rest of the 1% at all the moaners going ballistic now also about damage control"
attacking others into believing it is good enough, is an End Game tactic.
man, you're going off rail, really. where did you ever see CDPR attacking anyone?
youy're making assumptions an doing accusations based on your interpretations, thats bringing you down, is it not?
you also express your views regarding the game's life span, based on what?
have you put yourself in CDPR shoes|? this is cyberpunk, in the future, the mentality is different, the formulas are different.
you might not like change or understand it from the beginning, but because of that no one accused you of being thick.
:)

Fixing remaining bugs, glitches and performance issues and introducing QoL improvements should take a back seat so they can focus all their efforts on ultra sophisticated police chase system that's going to be used in "Rebel! Rebel!" and nowhere else?
Can you see that they are fixing remaining bugs, glitches and performance issues in the carefully prepared video? We also look forward but they don’t mention a word in it. If they say "we did it, it runs well in PS4 now and SIE allows us to came back", it is a very good news even without any other updates, propagandas and videos. If they say "we fixed the problem of ineffectiveness of perks and clothes mods", it is a step-by-step bug fixing work. But only change some hotkey or values and says it is the highlight of work......

Last edited:
Update your neuroprocessor drivers or die

This is not a joke! It’s raining men in Night City and not for the reasons you’d expect. Just over the last month authorities recorded nearly 4000 fatal accidents caused by a neuroprocessor glitch causing users to dodge without intending to. The manufacturer has prepared an update to address the issue.
Really appreciated the tone of this and this is really good news and should be quite a huge on PC among with car steering improvements. I'm on Xbox and perhaps now we are getting closer to same experience and can discuss, particularly driving a bit more.

Keep doing good work!

Guest 3847602

Can you see that they are fixing remaining bugs, glitches and performance issues in the carefully prepared highlight video? If they say "we did it, it runs well in PS4 now and SIE allows us to came back", it is a very good news even without any other updates, propagandas and videos. But only simply change some hotkey value in setting and says it is the highlight of work, this is a different thing. This is not even a bug fix......
It is a highlight of few new thing introduced in forthcoming update. Some people are acting as if these are full patchnotes, only in video form.

It is a highlight of few new thing introduced in forthcoming update. Some people are acting as if these are full patchnotes, only in video form.
Yeah, but if those are the things CDP deemed as worthy of highlighting the next major update for the game with, then it implies that any other changes that will be introduced alongside them won't be any bigger and more significant. This is what people have issues with.

I am still hoping they can release much more valuable updates than just those "highlight" and prove my confusion to be wrong, too.

It's been about 3 and 1/3 months (3 months and 11 days, exactly), and the way some gamers are rounding this up to 4 is actually kinda funny to me. I've seen some people call it 5 months, even, which is some interesting gamer math.
Let me quote myself:

And they still won't work properly 4 months after the game was released.

As you can see, I was referring to the release of the patch 1.2 in the (not so distant, I hope) future.

When you consider that a month of development time was lost due to a hack that some people cheered about on reddit and Twitter, I have to be real - I'm not that sympathetic towards the "its been X months" stance.
You are referring to Jason Schreier as a credible source. He wrote that around two weeks of development time were lost. Not a month.

CD Projekt Ransomware Hack Severely Disrupts Work on Cyberpunk Updates

Well, let me quote you this time:

the way some gamers are rounding this up to [...] is actually kinda funny to me.

I would even go so far as to say that progress has been coming along at a decent pace when you consider how much work has to be put into making the game more stable on consoles before serious gameplay tweaks can even be considered.
I am not arguing that CDPR is not making (some) progress. What I am saying is that CDPR is not able to provide some of the features that are often taken for granted as an obvious content of "the next patch".

This leaves a legitimate question as to whether the devs can't get car chases to work properly, or if they simply didn't have time to given release deadlines.
Well, in my opinion, they can't. Some features were cut off long before the release date (e.g. NCART) and some were abandoned later (e.g. vehicle customization). I think that they tried to implement car chases for a long time and couldn't make them work. Not only because of the time constrains. The amount of systems that need to be refined before introducing proper car chases is really huge. They need to fix pathfinding, collisions, pedestrian AI, city traffic, police, wanted system etc. They need to rewrite huge parts of the engine. And I am not certain if it is possible now. The game was already released: it's very probable that calibrating or rewriting such a huge part of the code would alter some values and information that are included in the saved games (files). You can't (or rather shouldn't) make people start their game from the beginning after applying a patch. It's only acceptable with the use of some huge DLC/expansion.

The game seems unfinished. It's full of placeholders or broken systems (AI, city traffic, perks, UI, crafting etc.). But it's also a very complex net of interdependent systems. One can not change two puzzles and expect a hundred of other pieces to match what was changed. If you touch the AI, every part of this complex equation needs to be altered. And it requires a lot of time and and testing. Rewriting them all would be possible before the release. Not now. I think the last announcement was quite clear: CP2077 will not follow NMS route (if it comes to patches). CDPR will try to alter the existing systems. They will not rewrite them (or add some new ones). That's why "fixing police" means only "changing some values in the existing equation", not "changing the equation itself". They simply altered the spawn time and radius for specific actors. That's all. They can't make these actors behave differently (e.g. try to arrest the player, not follow shoot-at-sight order). They can't make them use proper pathfinding in vehicles (e.g. enter the car and chase the player). They can't make them react differently (e.g. accept bribes). I also think that they will not implement anything that might stress-test CPUs of the last-gen consoles even more. And more complex AI behavior while streaming this huge city would make Jaguar bleed. So... perhaps the introduction of some better AI would also require some serious optimizations to the streaming (rendering) system?

Remember MAX-TAC? And their AV ("vehicle") scripted appearance in ONLY one mission (The Rescue) and ONE scene (the ride with Jackie)? There'a a reason why you see them in different parts of the city AFTER the landing of AV. And if these aerodynes take off, the MAX-TAC members simply disappear and (presumably) "teleport" inside the flying vehicle. You do not see them entering (or exiting) the AV with the client. It would make sense to allow police or MAX-TAC to arrive immediately at the crime scene in AV (or some car), drop down from above (or exit the car), and then interact with the player. It's so obvious -- and I am certain CDPR tried to implement this solution. To no (bug-free) effect. So they had to use this infamous placeholder (teleportation).

Obviously, all of the above are just my opinions. Right after the release of CP2077 I was also hoping for some huge changes to the broken systems in the next patches. But the more I played the game, the more interconnected placeholder solutions I noticed. And it became quite obvious that all this mess in practically beyond repair. Especially if you consider all the other problems that CDPR has to take care of right now (bugs, glitches, broken quests, console performance issues etc.).

Also consider that the studio will want to recover as much goodwill from gamers as they're able to for future projects, which means addressing prominent criticisms like the state of police A.I.
The way they handled "the state of police A.I" in this patch makes me think that they are trying to do what they can under these unfavorable circumstances. But it also shows that their evident willingness is severely restrained by their abilities to make necessary changes. I am not accusing CDPR of the lack of good intentions. I am just saying that many of us expect too much from this developer. Remember: this game has to work properly on PS4. And they are struggling to make it happen even with the current state of all AI systems. Refining them and making more sophisticated seems to be beyond their level of ability right now. I keep my fingers crossed, but I am not expecting much any more.

Do you think that the devs are incapable of creating a car pathing system that can navigate around objects in the road, for example? To me, this very much feels like an aspect of the game that is simply unfinished rather than something that was scrapped due to engine limitations or insufficient ability on the part of the dev team.

Do you think that the devs are incapable of making AI drive a motorcycle (beside prescripted cutscenes)? It seems easy to code in a short period of time. And yet... they can't make it happen. Because there are hundreds of other factors (unfinished systems) to consider while coding this "feature". You need to fix (rewrite, alter) all of them before introducing some new element. And then you need to test them (preferably in the whole campaign and in every place of the city). And you need to make sure that they do not corrupt any of the existing saved games. ;)

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Yeah, but if those are the things CDP deemed as worthy of highlighting the next major update for the game, then it implies that any other changes that will be introduced alongside them won't be any bigger and more significant. This is what people have issues with.
They've said months ago that PC version is fine in their eyes and that their plan is to bring console version closer to PC and to tweak and polish what's already there instead of doing comprehensive rework.

Yeah, but if those are the things CDP deemed as worthy of highlighting the next major update for the game, then it implies that any other changes that will be introduced alongside them won't be any bigger and more significant. This is what people have issues with.
It is a major update for old gen consoles, that's where the main focus is for 1.1, 1.2 patches. Not surprising a lot of people take "major" as if it should almost overhaul the game for everyone. If they started working on things like these highlights, maybe they managed to succeed with old gen versions of the game.

I am still hoping they can release much more valuable updates than just those "highlight" and prove my confusion to be wrong, too.
Perhaps the videos are just churning out some easy to digest changes, even if some of those changes seem lacklustre. Can understand the more technical fixes people would probably find boring in a video of this kind.

If it drops and the fixes are few and far between. It is not going to be good for them.

I think it is fair for people to be disappointed, knowing that this patch is it for along time.

I´am very disappointed about the community and it´s negative behave!

Ok, CDPR has mad many mistakes, yes!
And yes, they don´t react to the fans in a correct way. (As i like to be treated as a fan)

But all the negative behave isn´t helpful at all for the CDPR Team!
So they don´t read this all anymore because of all the negative vibe.
I can understand when they lose her effort to fix the game, when i always read negative critics all day long.

1.2 is a normal Patch! They have not enough time to fix all whats in the mind of the community that's for sure!

CDPR cannot meet all the expectations of the community - that is impossible!
But at least they try and don't drop the game like other studios and publishers do, and at least that is creditable to CDPR.

Calm down from your far too high expectations and stay normal! It's bad to read everything here in the forum!

1.2 is a step in the right direction by a damned number of who have to come, no more or less!

Stay healthy that is the most important thing in life!

Last edited:
Perhaps the videos are just churning out some easy to digest changes, even if some of those changes seem lacklustre. Can understand the more technical fixes people would probably find boring in a video of this kind.

If it drops and the fixes are few and far between. It is not going to be good for them.

I think it is fair for people to be disappointed, knowing that this patch is it for along time.

Agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom