The (Open) Game World Discussion!

+
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...red-says-cyberpunk-2077-will-have-multiplayer

Badowski told me that Cyberpunk 2077, like The Witcher 3, will also be an open world game - albeit in a very different setting. "The first and most important environment for Cyberpunk is the city, obviously," he said. "But not only the city: you can expect some more environments in the Cyberpunk game. We want to start in the Night City, which is cool. And yes it will be an open world game as well."

Fucking awesome...

Monterey is too far north... at least according to the Map of the US that came with Land Of The Free.

Morro Bay/Baywood Los Osos is a lot closer to the maps location... and looks more like the information we are given in regards to topography...

Earthquakes and rising sea levels have changed the shape of the coastline, but it adds up geographically a lot closer. It;s still a little far south... San Simeoh is about dead on, but there is nothing there, and certainly no bay...

Either location si definitely surrounded by more desert/sparsely forested areas... there are a few scattered copses, and even a few forrests, but even then its pretty non-dense brush...
*nods*

Now that I think about it, the Morro Bay area sounds like it'd be about right. Up in San Francisco, there's been a trend in the outlying cities / communities; they're turning in to "support cities." All of the jobs are in San Fran, and people commute in / out from these other adjacent towns and neighborhoods.

I can see Richard Night building the basic infrastructure, then luring various companies to the area with the promise of cheap rent and real estate, and tax breaks. Everybody wins.

'Cept us, of course. Frackin' suits. =p

*nods*

Now that I think about it, the Morro Bay area sounds like it'd be about right. Up in San Francisco, there's been a trend in the outlying cities / communities; they're turning in to "support cities." All of the jobs are in San Fran, and people commute in / out from these other adjacent towns and neighborhoods.

I can see Richard Night building the basic infrastructure, then luring various companies to the area with the promise of cheap rent and real estate, and tax breaks. Everybody wins.

'Cept us, of course. Frackin' suits. =p

I seem to remember the Night City sourcebook dividing up California fairly equally into Northern and Southern, and Night city was just north of the border.

-- Ben

*nods*

Yeah; again, for the region, definitely no forests, or at least not in the capacity as we think of them conventionally.

Fuck yes.... from the latest interview...

http://8bitenvy.com/blog/2013/3/17/cyberpunk-2077-qa-what-it-is-and-why-you-should-care

MJ: ​Night City is the traditional setting in the Cyberpunk universe. It’s located between Los Angeles and San Francisco. The city grew organically from the original Cyberpunk 2020 to the new Cyberpunk 2077, so you will see some old buildings expanded and so on. You will be able visit some places you know from the original game, like the Afterlife solo joint. As for roaming the city at night, we’ve worked very hard to be sure that the city has the right feel to it at all points on the day and night cycle. When you see Cyberpunk you imagine the night in Blade Runner with neon lights and so on. But it’s much harder to have an iconic image of a city in this setting by day. Fortunately, our team works really hard so the atmosphere will not change and Night City will have its punk nature all the time, not just under [the] cover of darkness.

So daytime is in.... they may also be staying closer to the map than was originally thought....

I also want a huge map but fully explorable with different areas its ok if the make kinda metroid style access certain areas, also buildings please make them all usable I hate builds that u cant enter, Im cool when you enter a building and have it absolutely empty, thats part of exploration. Secret hideouts full of loot would be cool and rewarding(please) I dont know if I want a day and night system but if the ir a dark setting in the game please make the city properly iluminated to much dark scares me a bit and hinders my exploration :(

man Im so hyped for this game and I havent seen no actual gamplay footage...

http://8bitenvy.com/blog/2013/3/17/c...ou-should-care

Night City is the traditional setting in the Cyberpunk universe. It’s located between Los Angeles and San Francisco. The city grew organically from the original Cyberpunk 2020 to the new Cyberpunk 2077, so you will see some old buildings expanded and so on. You will be able visit some places you know from the original game, like the Afterlife solo joint. As for roaming the city at night, we’ve worked very hard to be sure that the city has the right feel to it at all points on the day and night cycle. When you see Cyberpunk you imagine the night in Blade Runner with neon lights and so on. But it’s much harder to have an iconic image of a city in this setting by day. Fortunately, our team works really hard so the atmosphere will not change and Night City will have its punk nature all the time, not just under [the] cover of darkness.

this sounds....AWESOME

Yeah things are really looking promising... I am now trying to restrain myself from getting too excited.... but man its getting harder and harder...

And so am I....

That's a really good question, especially for a cipher. Well done!

We've kicked around different ideas,as you'll see if you cruise the thread. Witcher 3 has had some scales attached to it, but nothing much for CP2077 yet.

Some of us are hoping for a great size map and open play area a la Saints Row 3, ( the best of the series, apparently), and Sleeping Dogs. Skyrim-scale. Others are hoping for an intimate map, lots of real estate but with focus on localized details. Say, something like Deus Ex Human Revolution only several times the size of their largest "hub".

Nearly everyone agrees we want lots of people, lots of interactive NPCs that learn from you and each other and the story, vehicles, weather and time. Many would also like a large area outside Night City to play in. Most would appreciate the ability to parkour and go up walls.

I am hoping for a San Andreas, Fallout New Vegas, or RDR sized map, an enormous city, with outlying suburbs and industrial areas, a vast wasteland, and of course the ocean...

I mean, the big, expansive map, we've seen in games, particularly the ones you've mentioned. What we haven't seen yet are the big maps with expansive cities. That is, expansive cities with points of interest outside the city, rather than being the large islands we have with Saints Row 2 and GTA IV.

Of the sandboxes I've clocked significant time on, biggest city maps were SR2 and GTA IV. Neither of 'em had much outside the "islands" they were on, besides lots and lots of water. Though, I suppose it's feasible to turn part of that water into badlands...

Again, ARMA 2 does procedurally-generated forest/scrub/hill/desert areas. This is not terrifically complicated or resource-heavy. Not to mention, it would only have to go on until you were lost and a pop-up appeared saying, "The wastelands of 2077 have claimed your life. Your corpse will lie here until one day it is over-run by the expanding urban terrain that, right now, lies too far away to preserve your life. Farewell, wanderer."

I mean, the big, expansive map, we've seen in games, particularly the ones you've mentioned. What we haven't seen yet are the big maps with expansive cities. That is, expansive cities with points of interest outside the city, rather than being the large islands we have with Saints Row 2 and GTA IV.

Of the sandboxes I've clocked significant time on, biggest city maps were SR2 and GTA IV. Neither of 'em had much outside the "islands" they were on, besides lots and lots of water. Though, I suppose it's feasible to turn part of that water into badlands...

Honestly, sand dunes, or dry cracked earth seems a whole lot less resource consuming than water, which would have to have the illusion of depth, and actually move, with splashing and waves and what not... it's surprising how much well done water adds to a game, and jarring at how poorly done water detracts from it... Whereas desert/ cracked earth, and even light forrest and hills seem much less resource intensive... and can seem every bit as endless as the ocean.

Again, ARMA 2 does procedurally-generated forest/scrub/hill/desert areas. This is not terrifically complicated or resource-heavy. Not to mention, it would only have to go on until you were lost and a pop-up appeared saying, "The wastelands of 2077 have claimed your life. Your corpse will lie here until one day it is over-run by the expanding urban terrain that, right now, lies too far away to preserve your life. Farewell, wanderer."

That wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea either...

Mountains with collapsed tunnels, The Southern California Border with AA embankments........

In fact, this would be my ideal opening for the game as a Nomad Character....

The game would start off-map. Dialogue, perhaps over a black screen or a video of some guys over a campfire talking about "the tunnel run". When game play begins you are riding along, manning a mounted weapon on a trailer, in a convoy driving down a long tunnel. As raiders attack you, you fight them off, then finally make it to the end of the tunnel, but a fuel truck behind you explodes, sealing the tunnel for the duration of the game.

The convoy of vehicles drops you off at the Nomad encampment outside the city. From there, you here rumors about life in the city. It costs money, or a pass to get in, so you ill have to do odd jobs in the wasteland till you get the scratch.

Once you do get inside, the city is immense. You make your way to the combat zone...

I still kinda think in my heart this is the best way to start the game period, as it provides a way for the character to be as new to the city/game as the player, so the tutorials and info dumps make a sort of sense in context... as opposed to having a character who has lived in the city all his life but somehow doesn't know how to operate the most basic of things like a dataterm, or where to go to buy food or guns or gear or whatever...

I do think the city needs to be huge and I feel open areas within the borders are important. But I hope there are hubs of more densly packed architecture with the option to enter buildings, both abandoned and inhabited. If they were to do this on the scale of say Sleeping Dogs, it would be a first. There is no other open-world city based game on such a scale that still provides the interactivity of TW2, TES or Deus Ex. And that still doesn't include wastelands, waterways and outer space. So to be honest, I'm tempering my expectations here. Even my 'modest' example is likely not possible for another 5-10 yrs or so when dev teams number in the hundreds and hardware is much more advanced.

-edit. It's a shame someone from CDPR can't chime in on this, even if it were just about their philosophy on designing maps.

I do think the city needs to be huge and I feel open areas within the borders are important. But I hope there are hubs of more densly packed architecture with the option to enter buildings, both abandoned and inhabited. If they were to do this on the scale of say Sleeping Dogs, it would be a first. There is no other open-world city based game on such a scale that still provides the interactivity of TW2, TES or Deus Ex. And that still doesn't include wastelands, waterways and outer space. So to be honest, I'm tempering my expectations here. Even my 'modest' example is likely not possible for another 5-10 yrs or so when dev teams number in the hundreds and hardware is much more advanced.

-edit. It's a shame someone from CDPR can't chime in on this, even if it were just about their philosophy on designing maps.

Sr2 had a huge airport and an entire shopping mall you could enter and run around in, as well as all the other buildings...

Sleeping dogs has a ridiculous number of enterable buildings...

Deus Ex.... really doesn't in comparison... It only seems like it does because the open world areas are so small... in fact, I believe the number of enterable buildings in Deus Ex was significantly smaller than in Sleeping Dogs, SR2, or eve GTA4....

I don;t think this game could do a greater disservice to the original material than to have it resemble DE:HR's gameplay in any way.... aesthetically yes, there will be similarities... but I honestly hope that is where the similarities end full stop.

Sr2 had a huge airport and an entire shopping mall you could enter and run around in, as well as all the other buildings...

Sleeping dogs has a ridiculous number of enterable buildings...

Deus Ex.... really doesn't in comparison... It only seems like it does because the open world areas are so small... in fact, I believe the number of enterable buildings in Deus Ex was significantly smaller than in Sleeping Dogs, SR2, or eve GTA4....

I don;t think this game could do a greater disservice to the original material than to have it resemble DE:HR's gameplay in any way.... aesthetically yes, there will be similarities... but I honestly hope that is where the similarities end full stop.

It won't. CDPR cited it as an influence, and they are thinking of gameplay, not aesthetics. I'm certain Night City will be many times bigger than anything in Deus Ex, but the problem with the games you cite is, whether you can enter a building or not, there is little impact the environment has on gameplay. It's mainly there for freedom of movement and immersion. So if I want to take out a group of punks on the third floor of an abandoned office building, it's the Deus Ex way to provide multiple avenues of attack, one facilitating a stealth approach, another letting me run and gun, etc. This way there is an intelligent marriage of environment and combat tactics.

Top Bottom