What’s new in Night City? [Patch 1.2 development insight]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
the more i read reactions on forums, subreddits, imageboards.. and compare said reactions to highlights of the upcoming patch/youtube vids, the more i think that this is somekind of early April fools joke and that the 1.2 release material will truly be groundbreaking and the stuff posted in patch post and vids is a joke ie. CDPR are trolling. I might just developed Stockholm syndrome at this point since no one sane would think that pushing out such fixes and making them highlights of the patch is a smart thing.

I know absolutely nothing of coding. But explain me this. If those fixes are so complicated and require so much work force, how come they were already done by modders, single persons or small groups of friends, in their free time?
As explained by other people, unlike developers who have to ensure that a change does not break existing code, Modders can focus on specific issues, completely independent of other things. Hence why certain mods conflict with one another, from outright not working together to requiring a specific installation order.

As explained by other people, unlike developers who have to ensure that a change does not break existing code, Modders can focus on specific issues, completely independent of other things. Hence why certain mods conflict with one another, from outright not working together to requiring a specific installation order.
That would be true for some changes but, not for the fixes highlighted. They are indeed simple fixes.

the more i read reactions on forums, subreddits, imageboards.. and compare said reactions to highlights of the upcoming patch/youtube vids, the more i think that this is somekind of early April fools joke and that the 1.2 release material will truly be groundbreaking and the stuff posted in patch post and vids is a joke ie. CDPR are trolling. I might just developed Stockholm syndrome at this point since no one sane would think that pushing out such fixes and making them highlights of the patch is a smart thing.
Honestly, this would be hilarious, and a huge sigh of relief. I could respect that.

think that they tried to implement car chases for a long time and couldn't make them work. Not only because of the time constrains. The amount of systems that need to be refined before introducing proper car chases is really huge. They need to fix pathfinding, collisions, pedestrian AI, city traffic, police, wanted system etc. They need to rewrite huge parts of the engine.
In my opinion (no proof,pure speculation) they never intended to have a "GTA" wanted system with police chases. Police was intended to be only in static positions and look for nearby incidents (that they more or less do actually) and appear at some quests-the lore supports also this, the department is defunded-. Then they realized that people was going to try to play GTA-style and they didn´t want youtube videos of players slaughtering 100's of NPCs across the city without some oposition, so they added a "spawn" system. So its not re-writing huge parts of the engine, is a completely different engine. I don´t know enough about game engine development, but I think that a "sandbox" engine is fundamentally different than one for "open-world".

They've said months ago that PC version is fine in their eyes and that their plan is to bring console version closer to PC and to tweak and polish what's already there instead of doing comprehensive rework.
Which doesn't mean that PC version is objectibvely fine. Those are the same people who said that CP2077 worked "suprisingly good" on last-gen consoles, so calling their ability to judge the state of the game as delusional would be an understatement. Of course unless we come to conclusion that it was a deliberate lie, which could also imply that calling PC version as "fine" can also be a lie just to justify not putting more work into the game.

Besides, they themselves said that "AI and NPC behavior fall within the general category of bugs". [Source]

Can we get confirmation from the dev that messaged in here, that the visuals are not getting downgraded as seen in the Highlights video CDPR put out?

In my opinion (no proof,pure speculation) they never intended to have a "GTA" wanted system with police chases.
They certainly wanted to have functional car chases. There are gigs in the game that were cut off and include car chases (broken and buggy). You can play them with the use of saved games that can be found on Nexus.

It's almost like massacring civilians, stealing cars and getting chased by cops is not envisioned as core feature of this game. Really strange considering that CP2077 have one quest where your goal is to escape from police. Who knew?
This game is taking place in open city, overloaded with people and cars, in my opinion this fact means that NPC/police/gangs behavior and driving supposed to be ok, since you face people/police/gangs/cars all the time. Actually that is exactly what I call "core feature".

Guest 3847602

Which doesn't mean that PC version is objectibvely fine. Those are the same people who said that CP2077 worked "suprisingly good" on last-gen consoles, so calling their ability to judge the state of the game as delusional would be an understatement. Of course unless we come to conclusion that it was a deliberate lie, which could also imply that calling PC version as "fine" can also be a lie just to justify not putting more work into the game.
Your mileage may vary, but what I think they meant by "fine" is "close to their idea of what their game should be". Like, for example, they don't intend to build GTA-like chase system, they don't intend to rework faction system by making possible for V to join them, they don't plan on developing subway system, etc...
Besides, they themselves said that "AI and NPC behavior fall within the general category of bugs". [Source]
This is something that can be realistically improved. NPC behaviour is already in the game, they just have to (and should) make the pattern more complex and refined.

It's a teaser...of a patch...for a video game. If you think the game is terrible or not worth your time, it's certainly your right to express your view, but it's not as if this is a Greek tragedy.

I guess I'm confused on why some people who clearly have a negative perception of this game are still coming here to follow updates and to keep venting. I enjoy the game, hence I'm interested to see what fixes and updates are coming. Constructive feedback and healthy debate is good, but If you don't enjoy the game and just take some delight in trolling forums, you're certainly able to get a refund and move on.

I guess I would just sum up with...
tenor.gif

Guest 3847602

This game is taking place in open city, overloaded with people and cars, in my opinion this fact means that NPC/police/gangs behavior and driving supposed to be ok, since you face people/police/gangs/cars all the time. Actually that is exactly what I call "core feature".
How do you provoke police in this game? By shooting at passers-by. Does the game provide any incentive for you to do that? No. Does the game provide any incentive outside of free-roaming (during main quest and gigs)? Yes, just once.
Do you have a reason to steal cars? No, you don't get to keep them and you can "summon" one of your cars whenever you want.
Now compare how these things work in CP2077 to how they work in GTA5 (you're repeatedly required in main story and side missions to escape from police, you get to keep stolen cars, you can't call them to your location, so it's far more convenient for you to find someone else's and take them whenever you need a ride). Maybe that's why CDPR and Rockstar didn't assign same priority to this aspect of their games.

I guess I'm confused on why some people who clearly have a negative perception of this game are still coming here to follow updates and to keep venting.
They are posting/venting because they wanna be heard and CDPR at this point is only pouring gasoline on open fire with such abysmal patches, its 1 step forward and 2 steps back at this point. The problem arises when people check out Nexus mods for example and see more work being done there and fixes being made months before CDPR even touches that topic ergo people are mad that modders are doing way better job at this point than the company which made the product. Its all good when people vent, it gets sad when there is no venting since it means that everyone gave up.

you're certainly able to get a refund and move on.
Tell that to Steam users who have more than 4h ingame. People are mad that they paid 60€ for something broken and that the product when/if fixed will be 40€(cca.) meaning that the people that were there since release paid the full price and the people that got what should be release material will pay way less because of discounts etc.

It's just a matter of time and testing...... We don't expect the developers to be as fast as those one-day mods, but we do expect that they can provide well-tested fixs and base-layer changes in a longer period.

Last edited:
Let me quote myself:

And they still won't work properly 4 months after the game was released.

As you can see, I was referring to the release of the patch 1.2 in the (not so distant, I hope) future.

Okay, fair. I admit that I lumped you in with a larger social media trend that I've seen where people are complaining about the state of the game and saying it's been 4 months, which may have been unfair on my part.

You are referring to Jason Schreier as a credible source. He wrote that around two weeks of development time were lost. Not a month.

CD Projekt Ransomware Hack Severely Disrupts Work on Cyberpunk Updates

Well, let me quote you this time:

the way some gamers are rounding this up to [...] is actually kinda funny to me.

The hack occurred on February 9th, and the article was written on the 24th - two weeks and one day after the attack. The only thing you can glean from the Bloomberg article is that employees still weren't back to work when the article was written, which is confirmed by the wording of the article:

"As a result of the ransomware attack, which was disclosed on Feb. 9, most of its employees have been locked out of their workstations for the past two weeks, according to people familiar with the matter."

Also, further down:

"As a result, employees remain unable to log onto the company’s virtual private network [. . .]"

Emphasis mine. As per the article itself, this isn't really a 'gotchya' moment regarding my one month estimate, as the article was written before employees went back to work.

How, then, are we able to determine that a month of work was lost? The announcement for the delay was published on February 24th (the second half of February), and the new date was pushed back to the second half of March. Furthermore, in 3 days it will have been exactly one month since the delay was announced, and the patch is not here, yet.

Therefore, unless you have additional inside information regarding how long employees were unable to work as a result of the security breach, one month seems like a fairly accurate assessment of how long the patch was delayed for. The exact amount of time may be longer or shorter based on information I don't have access to.

They need to rewrite huge parts of the engine. And I am not certain if it is possible now. The game was already released: it's very probable that calibrating or rewriting such a huge part of the code would alter some values and information that are included in the saved games (files).

There is, of course, the possibility that any number of the game's broken systems are now core issues with the game, and toying with the coding would corrupt save files. In that case, the developers should honestly just communicate that to us at this point. Even Studio Wildcard eventually came out and fessed up to the fact that a number of prominent issues with ARK: Survival Evolved had become core problems, and Wildcard is pretty much one of the worst publishers in the industry.

Remember: this game has to work properly on PS4. And they are struggling to make it happen even with the current state of all AI systems. Refining them and making more sophisticates seems to be beyond their level of ability right now. I keep my fingers crossed, but I am not expecting much any more.

Of course, but also remember that patch 1.1 and patch 1.2 were supposedly to address the state of the game on consoles first and foremost.

Your more pessimistic outlook seems to revolve around the idea that they cannot patch these interconnected systems and that they most likely are core issues that can't be tampered with, based (at least partly) on the fact that they haven't even been able to address the performance of the game on consoles yet. My point of view is simply to hold out and see exactly what patch 1.2 does for the game before I start to share yours.

The Lead Gameplay Designer and Technical Design Coordinator are quoted in this blog post as saying that the patch is an important step in addressing Cyberpunk's police behavior. This is fairly vague but it does at the very least imply that there is more to come. Even if police car chases do end up being a pipe dream given the game's launch state, then it seems the developers will at least attempt to make the system feel less tacked-on.

All we can do is wait and see what comes, though.

Thanks for the answer but I can't say I entirely understand. The mods in question mostly do not cause any issues with the rest of the game. On the contrary, you can run multiple mods, each from a different unrelated person, and often suffer no stability issues whatsoever (beyond what vanilla already has).

Moreover, some modders like yamashi (from Cyber Engine Tweaks) were faster than the 500-men strong CDPR in fixing that one security issue back then (to which CDPR replied in an accusatory tone trying to shift the blame for their own incompetence in managing the project to the modding community... blargh... but the scandalous PR from CDPR is another topic).

It seems to me this is more of the same story. All those mini features presented here have already been done by private people in their private time and have been used (or at least downloaded) by hundreds of thousands of people without issues.

You are not completely wrong in that regard, but you have to see it on a bigger scale, as the Devs still have to tackle performance issues, memory leaks aso, on top of the smaller stuff.

Then there is still the part with Valve / Steam, where I have no idea, what hurdles they have for CDPR's patches / hotfixes, before they are made available to us.
Post automatically merged:

They should decrease the multiplier of cost when you upgrade weapons, the cost spirals out of control too quickly.
Alternatively just have a fixed table of what it cost to upgrade weapons so a lv 7 weapon always cost the same to upgrade to lv 8.

One of the main problems i have in the game is finding stuff i like in the form of weapons and outfits that's also good enough to use.
So i end up running with weapons i don't like that much and definitely clothes that i don't like, i see cool clothes all the time but i never seem to find any on all the NPC's that i kill that are any good.

I don't know how hard it is but it would be great if Cyberpunk had support for steering wheels and pedals or just joysticks.
Currently you need a specific game controler to not use the keyboard on PC.
I don't have that but i have a flight sim setup where i use the "Logitec G Saitek Farming Simulator Side Panel" for radars and stuff when i play DCS.
In Cyberpunk this would be perfect in car mode as it has a joystick and lot's of buttons but i can't use it.

I don't play racing sim's but a steering wheel isn't really in the way when you play Cyberpunk and it would be a real quality of life thing if there was support for it.

A simple XBox 360 Controller (wired) works on PC and a Logitech G13 might work as well.

Last edited:
I feel the same way lol when the car gets stuck and it just hop's around a bit, I laughed my buns off. I was like april is right around the corner CDPR is messing around? Please tell me the Polish have a sense of humour like that, While people are losing their minds. I'D Troll to (actually i have on steam forums) I am really hoping for the sake of my favorite game, Groundbreaking is what we get!

For me, whatever they add is just icing on the cake. This game was an epic experience.
I agree this is my favorite game of all time, two thumbs up bro! i hope this doesn't get deleted like the last one. You by chance play War thunder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom