What’s new in Night City? [Patch 1.2 development insight]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
This game is taking place in open city, overloaded with people and cars, in my opinion this fact means that NPC/police/gangs behavior and driving supposed to be ok, since you face people/police/gangs/cars all the time. Actually that is exactly what I call "core feature".
So now any game that takes place in an open-world free-roaming city (or country) with people and cars has to include the "GTA" gameplay?

So now any game that takes place in an open-world free-roaming city (or country) with people and cars has to include the "GTA" gameplay?
Well tbf its a standard in games that have some kind of law implemented ie. cops or guards. We could spin it the other way and for example use Skyrim, if you steal something there or harm any other NPC etc. guards will be on your ass, you can try to weasel it out by paying bounty but eitherway the law system works. The point im trying to make is that GTA is not the only example, Skyrim, FO, Watchdogs, Saints Row, Mafia etc. all of them games which have factions or hiearchy have at this point in time implemented such systems so it is acceptable that people/players expect this to be a norm/standard.

Guest 3847602

Well tbf its a standard in games that have some kind of law implemented ie. cops or guards. We could spin it the other way and for example use Skyrim, if you steal something there or harm any other NPC etc. guards will be on your ass, you can try to weasel it out by paying bounty but eitherway the law system works. The point im trying to make is that GTA is not the only example, Skyrim, FO, Watchdogs, Saints Row, Mafia etc. all of them games which have factions or hiearchy have at this point in time implemented such systems so it is acceptable that people/players expect this to be a norm/standard.
But, there obviously is some kind of law system in place - cops will start attacking you if you start killing random people on the street. Pretty basic (functionally the same as in Deus Ex games or VTMB), but it's there and I don't think being able to pay fine and move on with your life is particularly immersive outcome, you were caught murdering people, not jaywalking).
There are also examples of RPGs who doesn't include any form of "wanted" system (Dragon Age games, Mass Effect and CDPR's own Witcher series).

I think I can add a note here.

The design of NCPD NPC behavior is not bad, indeed, I can say they are really well designed. Taking the pursuit as an example, some mods had realized car chase, not only NCPD, members of different gangs can also follow V, get into their car to chase or get out of their car to shoot. Different police cars are called according to the wanted level.

This is not to show that Modder do more work than developers, on the contrary, the CDPR developers did very good and much more work, they left an almost finished system in game as those mod‘s foundation, they wrote all those behavior and well-tested, so Modders only need very simple code to call the existing functions in game.

But where is the problem? In those mods, I found that the problem lies in the AI navigation. There is a good NPC car summoning system and well-designed behavior scripts, but they can't chase as smoothly as designed, they will hit themselves to the buildings in the city. I think this is the reason why this feature is not implemented in the default version.

This is also the reason why I think NCPD behavior is relatively easy to fix - there is no need to build a totally new GTA-like system and consider unknown interactions. This is a system that has almost completed before release and only a small part of it not works well. If AI navigation and driving works, the police problem solves.

And—you know, if AI driving works, there would no be any big problem in taxi system and racing system, right? we can find taxi-related text in game, we can enter vehicle and trigger events, the problem is AI navigation, too.

Last edited:
1.2 is a normal Patch! They have not enough time to fix all whats in the mind of the community that's for sure!

CDPR cannot meet all the expectations of the community - that is impossible!

Excuse me? Thy didn't have enough time? This patch was supposed to be released last month. Ok ok, we all know..hacking happens ..not once(2017) but twice(2021). You know the saying: fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me :). But is already almost the end of March... we were expecting maybe something more than some "highlights" the modders addressed a while ago.

And i don't think this community has "big expectations" - just a functional game, maybe? Oh yes, apparently that's impossible :)

But, there obviously is some kind of law system in place - cops will start attacking you if you start killing random people on the street. Pretty basic
And thats the problem, its just basic to degree that its pointless. Im giving them a benefit of a doubt since ive seen vids of players finding cop patrols and triggering car pursuits. The things that bother me about NCPD AI are bigger than that, for the life of me i simply dont understand why instead of teleporting cops on foot infront or behind the player, why wont CDPR implement cops spawning behind the corner of the street and let them drive to players location with sirens on and exiting their vehicle, hell at max wanted stars let the MaxTec come in with AV, we have all seen that in opening scripted scene with Jackie. Tho with all that mentioned im betting that either there are problems with pathing, such system can also be heavy on CPU and the code/game would just shit itself etc. Its all speculation but such elements as written above are already ingame per se. Just to mention it Mafia game from '02 had a system ingame that would trigger cops to chase you or fine you if you were speeding etc. Seeing the Drone spawn in 1.2 is a step in right direction, even if that said Drone is a reused asset with no visible NCPD markings and its using the same spawn/teleport coding that old NCPD used.

This is not to show that Modder do more work than developers, on the contrary, the CDPR developers did very good work, left an almost finished system in game as mod‘s foundation, they wrote all those behavior and tested, so Modder only needs simple code to call the existing functions in game.
Well tbf that shouldnt be allowed as in leaving an almost finished system ingame and relying on modders to do the rest. What modders produce is out of good grace for the community and wasted potential (debatable with lewd mods etc.). Its on devs to finish the systems that are expected to be ingame. Vehicle pursuits imo are even a greater debate if we go into it as in wasted potential or missing stuff which should be ingame, no option to shoot from a car as a driver, no option to shoot from bike, heck by some wierd logic V is the only motorcycle driver in whole Night City etc. point being that if we talk about NCPD AI and its problems, the rabbit hole will only get deeper. Everything else since cba prolonging this wall of text is written in quoted post above yours.

Edit: There is also Jackie who rides around inside Night City on bike even tho thats scripted. Point im trying to make is that there are numerous probs tied to NCPD. Wanted system for example could work in a way, 1 star spawns a drone and afterwards a NCPD cop comes to location with a bike but for that to work you would need bikers in traffic system and NCPD AI working, 2 stars spawn a NCPD patrol car, 3 stars NCPD SUV car, max stars Maxtec AV.

Last edited:
And thats the problem, its just basic to degree that its pointless. Im giving them a benefit of a doubt since ive seen vids of players finding cop patrols and triggering car pursuits. The things that bother me about NCPD AI are bigger than that, for the life of me i simply dont understand why instead of teleporting cops on foot infront or behind the player, why wont CDPR implement cops spawning behind the corner of the street and let them drive to players location with sirens on and exiting their vehicle, hell at max wanted stars let the MaxTec come in with AV, we have all seen that in opening scripted scene with Jackie. Tho with all that mentioned im betting that either there are problems with pathing, such system can also be heavy on CPU and the code/game would just shit itself etc. Its all speculation but such elements as written above are already ingame per se. Just to mention it Mafia game from '02 had a system ingame that would trigger cops to chase you or fine you if you were speeding etc. Seeing the Drone spawn in 1.2 is a step in right direction, even if that said Drone is a reused asset with no visible NCPD markings and its using the same spawn/teleport coding that old NCPD used.

Well tbf that shouldnt be allowed as in leaving an almost finished system ingame and relying on modders to do the rest. What modders produce is out of good grace for the community and wasted potential (debatable with lewd mods etc.). Its on devs to finish the systems that are expected to be ingame. Vehicle pursuits imo are even a greater debate if we go into it as in wasted potential or missing stuff which should be ingame, no option to shoot from a car as a driver, no option to shoot from bike, heck by some wierd logic V is the only motorcycle driver in whole Night City etc. point being that if we talk about NCPD AI and its problems, the rabbit hole will only get deeper. Everything else since cba prolonging this wall of text is written in quoted post above yours.

Edit: There is also Jackie who rides around inside Night City on bike even tho thats scripted. Point im trying to make is that there are numerous probs tied to NCPD. Wanted system for example could work in a way, 1 star spawns a drone and afterwards a NCPD cop comes to location with a bike but for that to work you would need bikers in traffic system and NCPD AI working, 2 stars spawn a NCPD patrol car, 3 NCPD SUV car ala Militech ones but with different markings, max stars Maxtec AV.、

It is nothing like “relying on modders to do the rest”, normally modders cannot do such a base-layer work like AI-navigation. that is why modder community look forward to CDPR in fixing this (after other fatal bugs).

This is also why this updating news seems not so well and many people compare it with mods: the developers can, if not should, work in deeper level than modders, and leave those small adjustment problems to community first to save their time.

And i don't think this community has "big expectations" - just a functional game, maybe? Oh yes, apparently that's impossible :)
It is fully functional with a few probs and bad things here and there....unless you want a masterpiece with everything you ever dreamed of. Well that wont happen, your prob.
Or are you talking about old-console players then ofc the game wont be functional for at least another 6 months :)

Quite an interesting read in the context of some of the main highlights of the upcoming patch:

Cyberpunk 2077 Sales Projections Look Bleak

I guess CDPR needs to try harder (if the devs want to maintain our interest in the game and gain some new players).

I feel the same way lol when the car gets stuck and it just hop's around a bit, I laughed my buns off. I was like april is right around the corner CDPR is messing around? Please tell me the Polish have a sense of humour like that

Well, if it comes to this "patch highlights" announcement the general consensus on the biggest gaming forum in Poland is: that's really not funny.

Last edited:
For a 2020 game..it sure is basic and empty as they come..there is barely any people or vehicles on the map..no one drives bikes except you and Jackie.. you think as big as cdpr is this game would be better and then we get this small look into the patch that is coming out and it still seems like nothing..they need to take back the game..remake it properly cause no matter how many patches they put on this version of the game..its just polishing a turd..I dont want to rock my car from being stuck..thats a minor thing (should of been in the game anyways being a 2020 game)..I dont need a slider for steering sensitivity (learn to drive on the game if you can't handle the cars) and spawning police is a terrible idea..its a cop-out (pun intended) ..have them roll up in cars and ships and chase you and not give up after 5 secs..this game is made like a basic game from eary Nintendo days..we want to be wowed with fun and excitement and graphics..look at COD and RDR2 ..this game needs more than just a patch..it needs a re-do and they need help from other companies. What they've shown us so far for this future patch is not great..not icing on a cake..its quite sad and lazy..Ill say it again 'No Man Sky' this game and gives us fixes every month or every 2 months till it is that masterpiece that some people make believe that it is.

It is fully functional with a few probs and bad things here and there....unless you want a masterpiece with everything you ever dreamed of. Well that wont happen, your prob.
Or are you talking about old-console players then ofc the game wont be functional for at least another 6 months :)
I guess we have different opinions about how a game should be looking in 2020/2021 on PC and Consoles(new or old).
And i'm not talking about visuals. :)

Either a walking button or using the mouse wheel to increase/decrease the movement speed.
It seems a huge amount of people want a 'walk' key and I have found that almost everyone is unaware that you can (in a way) already achieve some form of this in game. Hold the right mouse button while you are in motion (using your normal movement keys) and this gives you a slower 'walking' speed with a slightly more zoomed in camera viewpoint (which you can then alter in and out using the set zoom keys if you are using the TPP third person view mod)

Last edited:
4) The majority of people bought the game for old-gen consoles, NOT for high-end pcs, so it's perfectly normal they're concentrating on fixing performance first.
And you base your'e statement on what exactly?, i really think that the majority is PC players.

Sales

Cyberpunk 2077 received eight million pre-orders on all platforms, of which 74% were digital,[215] and it received more pre-orders than The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt;[91] one third of PC sales were through GOG.com.[216] It was a best-seller on Steam in China.[217] CD Projekt Red has stated that digital preorders for the title alone recouped the game's production cost as well as the game's 2020 marketing cost.[218] According to a CD Projekt investors call, sales saw a drastic decline four days after release owing to the technical issues present.[219] After the launch, analyst estimations for sales over 12 months fell from 30 million to 25.6 million.[220]

Within twelve hours after its release, the game had over one million concurrent players on Steam.[221] The PlayStation 4 version of Cyberpunk 2077 sold an estimated 104,600 physical copies during its debut week in Japan, making it the second highest selling retail game of the week in the country.[222] As of 20 December 2020, the game sold over 13 million copies worldwide.[223][224] It had the biggest digital game launch of all time, selling 10.2 million digital units[225] and grossing $609 million in digital sales as of 31 December 2020.
[226]

they said that there are more information regarding Patch version 1.2 will be shared later... I don't like that because it has created anxiety in me to wait for more information. Would have been more than welcome if it was said when is later? 10 days from now?

Guest 3847602

18000...which puts it below well Skyrim SE and...believe it or not...Fallout 4 and TW3!
This obviously doesn't apply to TW3, but good chunk of PC players are not playing steam version. The same cannot be said about Skyrim and Fallout 4. Anyway, is it that hard to wait to see the impact patches and free DLCs are going to have on number of concurrent steam players? (highly important metric for evaluating success or failure of 100% singleplayer game)

they said that there are more information regarding Patch version 1.2 will be shared later... I don't like that because it has created anxiety in me to wait for more information. Would have been more than welcome if it was said when is later? 10 days from now?

surely the information will arrive on the 31st along with the patch

Last edited:
I would still like to see more meaningful interactions with the environment / world / NPC's.

Even the responses / sentences of random NPC's, are so simple / shallow / meaningless.

Where is the point of a (somewhat good looking) open world (game), when all you get, are completely meaningless one-liners ?

What about stuff like, being able to properly enter a shop and buy stuff ?

What about the possibility to get a manicure, pedicure, haircut, shave, jewellery, tattoo, proper pet, clothes or play pool with some strangers in a pub or something ?

What about to be able to attach machine guns, rocket launchers, put up a smoke screen, drop oil and nails from your car / motorbike ?

What about trains, trams or ziplines ?

What about proper limb replacements ?

What about robocops or mechs / titans ?

What about a more complex hacking, like in hacknet ?

🤔

Last edited:

Cyberpunk 2077 Sales Projections Look Bleak, Could Sell "As Few As 500,000 Digital Units In The March Quarter"​

Cyberpunk 2077 sold incredibly well at launch, but it's been having a difficult time on the market ever since. The latest projections from M Science – a research and analytics firm – indicate this trend will continue, with Cyberpunk 2077's sales dropping well below that of other popular titles.

They should just abandon this game then and focus on Witcher 4. That's what haters want anyway right XD? I saw half the reddit celebrating when they got hacked and now they are crying that patch is not coming soon and that its too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom