Being longtime tabletop gamers, my group and I decided to try the original Cyberpunk.

+
Where did you find that Referee Screen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5NTBAkZ41k

I put it together with stuff from the book and printed it on cardstock- here's a link to download it.

https://mega.co.nz/#!nMZUUDDA!VcvMVSYZlY4ISLvQnooNrlDtB_Qc-sm9eZmn-P35VtI

And for all those having trouble, we are going to be posting more installments for a WHILE. The easiest way to stay in the loop is to make a Youtube account and subscribe to our channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/TabletopTalk

That also helps us out, because the more subscribers we have the higher it ranks our videos in the search engine, which exposes our games to more people, EG if you search "Cyberpunk 2020" on Youtube we are the second hit!

Congrats Brother that's awesome.

i am a little fuzzy on the why but I don't think we are doing more Youtube videos. It will still be on twitch, just not youtube. I kinda liked the youtube thing because I could read the comments (from people who watched it after the fact for example)

Watching "Someone is gonna get blown up"

Kids there is this thing called flanking. Rather than running pell mell through grazing fire and risk getting hit, pull the ole end around and hit the baddies from a different angle. A more...creative angle that gives them little cover...and they die.

The GM is pretty good at playing the psycho dude.

We loot the bodies...then take the bodies...true cyberpunk.

Rev has the coolest voice EVER.

"He's almost in a jumpsuit we can trust him..." Awesome qoute

Trinity: FINE use of the binoglasses to check out stuff from afar. Alwas know what the hell your walking into, and never jump blind.

"I give him the classic slap to the face!!" Rev is classy!

Did i mention this gm is awesome at playing this crazy NPC? If I haven't yet I should.

LOL

They shot johnny and we can take half of these guys with just your hair...i've laughed out loud twice.

Rev slap to the asscheek...come on you guys aint so small time!!! after the coppers uber facedown!!!

"Where's your compassion jumpsuit!" This is like qoute gold GOLD!!!

Techie folks...basic tech to hotwire a car...i'd steal a lotus...you might need lockpick or electronic security to bypass the alarms...and yeah there are crews who make it EASY to strip a car. They pick em to the frackin frame in minutes.

Point blank damage is maximum....no roll required at all.

ummm homeboy...claymores DESTROY. Being in the same room with one would be LETHAL to everyone in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5NTBAkZ41k

I put it together with stuff from the book and printed it on cardstock- here's a link to download it.

https://mega.co.nz/#!nMZUUDDA!VcvMVSYZlY4ISLvQnooNrlDtB_Qc-sm9eZmn-P35VtI

And for all those having trouble, we are going to be posting more installments for a WHILE. The easiest way to stay in the loop is to make a Youtube account and subscribe to our channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/TabletopTalk

That also helps us out, because the more subscribers we have the higher it ranks our videos in the search engine, which exposes our games to more people, EG if you search "Cyberpunk 2020" on Youtube we are the second hit!

With your permission, I would like to add your GM screen to the DF 2020 archive........ when its up and running again.

Sure thing, I'd be honored. I made it before I had GMed the game, so the information layout isn't exactly optimal nor is all the information hyper-relevant, and I intent to update it someday, and I'll let you know when I do. Send me a link to it on DF2020 so I can stick it in the description of our new videos.

A link to us (http://www.youtube.com/user/TabletopTalk) in the description of the screen would be much appreciated, thanks.

You guys make for a pretty entertaining crew. I would suggest one thing though...check out datafortress 2020. While CP2020 gave you bare bones stuff...wisdom has made some cool and very balanced changes in the shopping category. Bikes, cars, trucks, weapons, armor, fashion, and all manner of stuff can be found. To be honest I could lose myself for a while shopping for vehicles in the miracle mile, or checking out guns in the autumn blade manual. Check out some of that stuff and I think you will see your players faces light up like x-mas trees.

http://datafortress2020.oliwy.net/source.html

Argon...buy some freaking armor!!! Don't become a body bank pickup.

http://datafortress2020.oliwy.net/ab/combatwear.html

rev get you a new car brudda!!!

http://datafortress2020.oliwy.net/newtech.html

Been making my way through the vids - it makes for great viewing.

I recently introduced my gaming group to CP2020 and seeing them try out crazy stuff without really knowing what was going on is amusing.

I've thoroughly enjoyed watching you guys play and I've been really impressed at how you weave everything together. I've never played a tabletop game in my life, but you guys make me want to try it. So if that's what you were going for you succeeded.

You know, at first I thought the combat system of this game was archaic, weird, and bizarre. Now, I've come to love it for its simplicity and brutality.

Go figure.

just some suggestions....

I've watched some of your recorded sessions on Youtube and thought I'd throw some suggestions out there for your campaign. I've been playing CP2020 for quite a long time both as a player and referee so I've been on both sides of the screen. As a referee you run a decent game and with more experience with the rules and game mechanics I see a lot of promise for your campaign. I'm assuming your players read these forums so they will definitely benefit from these suggestions as well. The players to me seem fairly inexperienced based on a lot of common mistakes they have made. Lack of communication, lack of planning, the shoot first ask questions later attitude (i.e. shooting the security guard in the elevator). They also need to work on their role playing and staying in character. Instead of saying "my character says...." just stay in character and say it. That's how you role play. Also, your players need to stop talking over you. When you are talking or role playing with one of your players, the other players need to pay attention and be quiet, even if they are not part of the conversation. Nothing is more distracting and aggravating to a referee than multiple conversations going on at once.
Your players need to be on the same page and discuss a plan of action, otherwise they will be creating new characters on a regular basis. If they plan on shooting everything in site, they need to fight on their terms. Don't rush in the front way, find another way in and surprise the enemy. Also, use your resources. When they killed that security guard in the elevator, they should have subdued him and then questioned him. He would have known who was in the building or where the office was for the cheating husband. Also, rule #1 in any RPG game. KEEP THE GROUP TOGETHER. No exceptions. There is safety in numbers. And if everyone is not in agreement on the Opp or task at hand, then don't move forward. Find something else to do. Ace was killed due to stupidity and the fact that the rest of the team was not behind him on the mission.
As a referee, you need to have more control of the game and your players. There is a reason for initiative. If it's not the players turn, they shouldn't be saying or doing anything until you ask them what they are doing. This may sound harsh and strict but it helps with the flow of the game. Combat moves much smoother and there's no confusion. Your players are less likely to die if they understand everything that is going on around them. CP2020 is a very deadly game but it doesn't have to be if your players play smart.
Also as a referee you don't always need a firefight to make things interesting. We had several game sessions where a weapon was never drawn. Through role playing and a great story line we found that CP2020 could be extremely entertaining and interesting even though a shot was never fired. Your NPC's are and should be a big part of your campaign and I think you do a good job making them unique with accents, mannerisms etc and if you continue to make them interesting they will help create a great atmosphere in your game setting. I also like the fact that you found a base of operations at the Lagoon so well done!
For someone new to CP2020 I think you do a good job with your NPC's, settings, missions etc. and once your players come around with more experience I think you will all have even more fun in future sessions. I hope my post does not come across too strong or "preachy" and you can take the comments and suggestions hopefully in a positive way. I'd be interested in hearing what your thoughts were on this.

CPslinger, I not only disagree with a lot of what you are saying, but I also strongly disagree with how you are saying it...

They also need to work on their role playing and staying in character. Instead of saying "my character says...." just stay in character and say it. That's how you role play.

This bit in particular.... nothing drives me up a wall more than "one-true-wayism"... if what they are doing works for them, and they are having fun, let them be. There is nothing wrong with differentiating you characters in game dialogue with above board dialogue.

Also, your players need to stop talking over you. When you are talking or role playing with one of your players, the other players need to pay attention and be quiet, even if they are not part of the conversation. Nothing is more distracting and aggravating to a referee than multiple conversations going on at once.
This bit I agree with to an extent.

Your players need to be on the same page and discuss a plan of action, otherwise they will be creating new characters on a regular basis.

No, they really don't.... some games work better that way, but others don't. Each of the characters has their own motivation, their own style... and they will either come to terms with that, or they won't, but either way that's something that should be done in game. As for them creating characters on a regular basis... it's Cyberpunk... that is to be expected. As the players discover what works and what doesn't, they will cohere for survivals sake, but it shouldn't be forced, nor should it be metagamed. Each of the characters is distinctly different.

If they plan on shooting everything in site, they need to fight on their terms. Don't rush in the front way, find another way in and surprise the enemy. Also, use your resources. When they killed that security guard in the elevator, they should have subdued him and then questioned him. He would have known who was in the building or where the office was for the cheating husband.

Arm Chair Quarterbacking doesn't really help either... Let the players learn from their mistakes, and they will. I prefer not to hold my players hands, not to tell them how to do things, or to treat them like children.

Also, rule #1 in any RPG game. KEEP THE GROUP TOGETHER. No exceptions. There is safety in numbers. And if everyone is not in agreement on the Opp or task at hand, then don't move forward. Find something else to do.

Um.... no.... hell no.... great fucking jumbly jugs no.... that is not the # 1 rule in Cyberpunk or any other game. The characters aren't pre-schoolers who have to hold hands before crossing the street, they don't have to be up each others asses. Characters are going to do their own thing, in their own way. Should there be co-operation, hell yes, but splitting up the party is NOT a bad option, especially when infiltrating some place. If you have to raid a house, it's pretty bloody stupid for everyone to go in the front door. If you have to raid something bigger, its even dumber... hell in a mixed party, its pretty foolish to even bring the entire party. The netrunner, med tech, corp.... they are all much better suited to a reserve and support position... Most corporates aren;t going to risk their own neck's thats what they hire a team for. Most netrunners are crap in a firefight, same with a medtech... these are support roles, and as such they should be kept in the rear. For the same reason you don't take the nomad or the street level drug dealer to the board meeting.

Keeping the group together may work for you ad your group, but it is by no means the one true way of any game. If the group has multiple targets, it often makes more sense to split the group up and get in and out as quickly as possible.

And sometimes, its just better for the story when they don't agree, and do their own thing. They will learn what works and what doesn't.

As a referee, you need to have more control of the game and your players.

Again.... no.... he is doing just fine. If the characters fuck up, they fuck up. The players learn from it. These are adults. They are not children, and the GM is not their monitor. He is the narrator of the story, and the arbiter of rules. The idea that a GM should exert control over their players is not only offensive, but would have me leaving the group. If I tried that on my players, I would be facing an empty table.

There is a reason for initiative. If it's not the players turn, they shouldn't be saying or doing anything until you ask them what they are doing. This may sound harsh and strict but it helps with the flow of the game. Combat moves much smoother and there's no confusion.

I agree, though I believe you meant the characters, not the players....

"Also as a referee you don't always need a firefight to make things interesting. We had several game sessions where a weapon was never drawn."

This much we agree on.... however for new players, or just players new to a game, spicing things up with combat keeps them interested, and helps them learn the rules. I have run or played in campaigns that violence didn't occur for months. Hell the last campaign I was in, my character didn;t fight anything other than hunting for food, for the first 10 sessions of the game.

But that's pretty advanced role-playing, and its not going to be what every group, or even every game, wants. Regardless, violence or non-violence should be the decision of the players. It's up to them how they want to handle things.

I hope my post does not come across too strong or "preachy" and you can take the comments and suggestions hopefully in a positive way. I'd be interested in hearing what your thoughts were on this.

It's not that your ideas or advice are bad for the most part, its the manner in which you express it. Suggestions are good... telling someone there is a right way or a wrong way to do something in a role-playing game.... not so good.

CThis bit in particular.... nothing drives me up a wall more than "one-true-wayism"... if what they are doing works for them, and they are having fun, let them be. There is nothing wrong with differentiating you characters in game dialogue with above board dialogue.

I agree with you Wisdom on everything you've said in the post I so rudely quoted only a part of, but this is the part I wanted to comment on.

I'll get back to this point once I can think clearly again. :cool:

Top Bottom