What’s new in Night City? [Patch 1.2 development insight]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why i said V is not a criminal in the PUREST sense of the word. Of course he commits crimes, but all civilian NPC casualities are just non-intentional, collateral damage. In CP lore, being a mercenary is almost like a normal job. [...]
Wot? You literally are offered contract killings and thefts, and (have to) do them in CP2077.
Even in CP these are considered criminal acts, committed by criminals.
You are just preem at avoiding the legal consequences as a merc, compared to the common amateurish wannabe merc gonk.
Oh and Film@11, criminals meet up in (semi)public bars, clubs even in our RL-universe.

In CP2077 Private Eye Jobs are not even the majority in the scripted part.
Of course the writers of CP2077 could have made a more Private Eye-ish background, but they did not.

The blue missions on the map are just another sign of poor writing/design.
They should be more neutral or referring to different factions, instead of all answering to NCPD only. I.e. you should decide, if you collect your bounty from the police or a rival gang.

Scripted as quite a despicable outlaw, on the map the police-helping vigilante. The umpteenth immersion break in this product.

Last edited:
Let me quote myself:

And they still won't work properly 4 months after the game was released.

As you can see, I was referring to the release of the patch 1.2 in the (not so distant, I hope) future.

You are referring to Jason Schreier as a credible source. He wrote that around two weeks of development time were lost. Not a month.

CD Projekt Ransomware Hack Severely Disrupts Work on Cyberpunk Updates

Well, let me quote you this time:

the way some gamers are rounding this up to [...] is actually kinda funny to me.

I am not arguing that CDPR is not making (some) progress. What I am saying is that CDPR is not able to provide some of the features that are often taken for granted as an obvious content of "the next patch".

Well, in my opinion, they can't. Some features were cut off long before the release date (e.g. NCART) and some were abandoned later (e.g. vehicle customization). I think that they tried to implement car chases for a long time and couldn't make them work. Not only because of the time constrains. The amount of systems that need to be refined before introducing proper car chases is really huge. They need to fix pathfinding, collisions, pedestrian AI, city traffic, police, wanted system etc. They need to rewrite huge parts of the engine. And I am not certain if it is possible now. The game was already released: it's very probable that calibrating or rewriting such a huge part of the code would alter some values and information that are included in the saved games (files). You can't (or rather shouldn't) make people start their game from the beginning after applying a patch. It's only acceptable with the use of some huge DLC/expansion.

The game seems unfinished. It's full of placeholders or broken systems (AI, city traffic, perks, UI, crafting etc.). But it's also a very complex net of interdependent systems. One can not change two puzzles and expect a hundred of other pieces to match what was changed. If you touch the AI, every part of this complex equation needs to be altered. And it requires a lot of time and and testing. Rewriting them all would be possible before the release. Not now. I think the last announcement was quite clear: CP2077 will not follow NMS route (if it comes to patches). CDPR will try to alter the existing systems. They will not rewrite them (or add some new ones). That's why "fixing police" means only "changing some values in the existing equation", not "changing the equation itself". They simply altered the spawn time and radius for specific actors. That's all. They can't make these actors behave differently (e.g. try to arrest the player, not follow shoot-at-sight order). They can't make them use proper pathfinding in vehicles (e.g. enter the car and chase the player). They can't make them react differently (e.g. accept bribes). I also think that they will not implement anything that might stress-test CPUs of the last-gen consoles even more. And more complex AI behavior while streaming this huge city would make Jaguar bleed. So... perhaps the introduction of some better AI would also require some serious optimizations to the streaming (rendering) system?

Remember MAX-TAC? And their AV ("vehicle") scripted appearance in ONLY one mission (The Rescue) and ONE scene (the ride with Jackie)? There'a a reason why you see them in different parts of the city AFTER the landing of AV. And if these aerodynes take off, the MAX-TAC members simply disappear and (presumably) "teleport" inside the flying vehicle. You do not see them entering (or exiting) the AV with the client. It would make sense to allow police or MAX-TAC to arrive immediately at the crime scene in AV (or some car), drop down from above (or exit the car), and then interact with the player. It's so obvious -- and I am certain CDPR tried to implement this solution. To no (bug-free) effect. So they had to use this infamous placeholder (teleportation).

Obviously, all of the above are just my opinions. Right after the release of CP2077 I was also hoping for some huge changes to the broken systems in the next patches. But the more I played the game, the more interconnected placeholder solutions I noticed. And it became quite obvious that all this mess in practically beyond repair. Especially if you consider all the other problems that CDPR has to take care of right now (bugs, glitches, broken quests, console performance issues etc.).

The way they handled "the state of police A.I" in this patch makes me think that they are trying to do what they can under these unfavorable circumstances. But it also shows that their evident willingness is severely restrained by their abilities to make necessary changes. I am not accusing CDPR of the lack of good intentions. I am just saying that many of us expect too much from this developer. Remember: this game has to work properly on PS4. And they are struggling to make it happen even with the current state of all AI systems. Refining them and making more sophisticated seems to be beyond their level of ability right now. I keep my fingers crossed, but I am not expecting much any more.

Do you think that the devs are incapable of making AI drive a motorcycle (beside prescripted cutscenes)? It seems easy to code in a short period of time. And yet... they can't make it happen. Because there are hundreds of other factors (unfinished systems) to consider while coding this "feature". You need to fix (rewrite, alter) all of them before introducing some new element. And then you need to test them (preferably in the whole campaign and in every place of the city). And you need to make sure that they do not corrupt any of the existing saved games. ;)
you have given a description of the situation that without having official information, it is very, very logical and sustainable. Absolutely in accordance with your description of the facts.

Hey,
looks pretty cool, though the drone from the first video was just literally spawned there in the screen-space, right? :D

If the problem here is to have some force to attack the player if he does some criminal activity, maybe it would be better to e.g. have these drones patrol the streets on their own or something and just react to such events...
It could be more...intuitive and...gameplay rewarding...if the player could avoid them, hack them, destroy them pre-action, whatever... :)

Such a pitiful update. Modders done it in few days with more comfortable options. CDPR don't give a about this piece of crap that they called the game.

[...]
House-moving occurring here all week, be a while before the PS4 is back up and running, will find out at that point if 1.2 is out or not. Win win either way :) in the meantime, enjoy any further Dev Insights folks, don't forget that even if you think they might be laughing at you, it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I´am very disappointed about the community and it´s negative behave!

Ok, CDPR has mad many mistakes, yes!
And yes, they don´t react to the fans in a correct way. (As i like to be treated as a fan)

But all the negative behave isn´t helpful at all for the CDPR Team!
So they don´t read this all anymore because of all the negative vibe.
I can understand when they lose her effort to fix the game, when i always read negative critics all day long.

1.2 is a normal Patch! They have not enough time to fix all whats in the mind of the community that's for sure!

CDPR cannot meet all the expectations of the community - that is impossible!
But at least they try and don't drop the game like other studios and publishers do, and at least that is creditable to CDPR.

Calm down from your far too high expectations and stay normal! It's bad to read everything here in the forum!

1.2 is a step in the right direction by a damned number of who have to come, no more or less!

Stay healthy that is the most important thing in life!
There are two types of Cyberpunik 2077 customers: those who love the game and its possibilities.
And those who play it, live the experience and what is made is welcome.
Those who throw poison because they enjoy I leave them in hell.
I am one of those who love the game, the experience, what you want to convey, what developers and creatives were really looking for with this experience called Cyberpunk 2077 and we are the ones who give the harshest criticisms not because we want to harm CDPR, no because we want developers to lose interest in the game. DO NOT!!!

We do it from the admiration of what has been created in an "unfinished" way by this great team (many of whom are no longer on the ship unfortunately) and we are hard on criticism because we want to achieve "EXCELLENCE ". Cyberpunk 2077 is very far from the rest of the products on the market (it is ahead in many things !!!), because that is how those of us who see in Cyberpunk 2077 feel a possible evolution to turn a video game into a true "VITAL EXPERIENCE".

I work as a web designer, I have children and my working days are very long, but when 23:00 at night arrived and my wife and children were sleeping, I put on my headphones and began my immersion in Night City as a true experience of life that caught me and that felt like real. God, I have cried in many moments of play like a child seeing what was happening, FUCK, if you are able to transmit that to a 43-year-old person who has lived many things, how will you not be able to redesign and rebuild the game in search of that "EXCELLENCE".

We are the harshest in criticism because we are the ones who demand the most of this GREAT CDPR TEAM.

Nothing else, I am not haters, I do not hate, I do not look for fire, I just look and say FUCK, you are far below what the universe you have created NEEDS !!! KEEP FORWARD KEEP FALLING IN LOVE !!!!

It doesn't make any sense to me, spending 30 minutes on the forum talking and wasting my work time just to write poison here.

AND WE ARE MANY IN THIS FORUM WHAT WE FEEL SO CYBERPUNK 2077, WE ARE NOT CRAZY, HATERS OR PEOPLE OF SAD LIFE. WE ARE FANS, CUSTOMERS WHO WANT TO ENJOY EVERYTHING THAT WOULD MAKE THE GAME MUCH BETTER:

Real life in night city: eat, drink, walk, continue enjoying the heartbreaking stories of Night City, the damn AI that does not exist, garages, other types of transport, greater difficulty, etc. FUCK !!!! THERE ARE MANY THINGS TO DO IN CYBERPUNK 2077 BUT YOU HAVE TO WALK THIS WAY FOR CDPR to be at the top as the best gaming company despite having only 5 on the market. Its spirit is few games but OF EXCELLENT QUALITY, unsurpassed and with authentic life experience. They touch it with their fingers FUCK !!!!

Last edited:
While I appreciated the update, I didn't appreciate them making a joke out of it - kind of like a comedian going on stage and their "jokes" falling flat because they failed to read the room.
Isn't it their usual humorous style? I remember something similar for The Witcher 3 and the infamous Roach glitch. I found it funny, plus it's just a teaser. Proper patch notes will come when the patch is dropped.

Isn't it their usual humorous style? I remember something similar for The Witcher 3 and the infamous Roach glitch. I found it funny, plus it's just a teaser. Proper patch notes will come when the patch is dropped.
It's my first CDPR game, so I don't know if it's the way they usually do it. However, my point is that the problems with CP'77 are so great and numerous, the anger of players so great, using humour seems like a poor choice for communication.

I don't mind a bit of humour when fixing small problems, say a single NPC not being where they should be for example - hell, ESO have had some very funny communications for small fixes... this isn't the same kind of situation with CP'77 however.

IMO, if playing on PC it's more lore-friendly and immersive to simply go into the console and type:

Game.PrevSys_off()

That completely kills any police response. It feels more realistic to have police just ignore everything in the city than to act they way they do in version 1.12 and from what I have seen in 1.2 as well.

Until/unless there is a real AI overhaul it's better just to turn off the cops.

Be aware, until there is a major AI overhaul for this game, there will not be any good police responses, chases, etc. The devs' hands are kind of tied; The AI and pathing are so bad in the game, a police chase into/through a crowded area is likely to end with the cops' cars stopped behind a truck and not knowing what to do.

This game needs a serious overhaul to the entire AI structure. That's the only way NPC reactions/responses, police, vehicle pathing, etc will get solved. The big question is whether CDPR is willing to do that really hard work to fix all this. I don't even know if they have any really good AI programmers in-house. There is no indication in the released game and patches so far that they have a good base of those skills.

Last edited:
Proper patch notes will come when the patch is dropped.
Let's imagine you work at CDPR. You released the game, people are not happy with its state, it's been 3 months, everyone is waiting for a patch.
You get a chance to talk about a few changes in the patch. What changes will you talk about first and foremost? The biggest changes that will make people happy or the little things that don't interest a lot of people?

That's the problem. If CDPR decided to make a teaser with these changes, it means these are the biggest changes in the patch. Because it makes no sense to talk about the little things first and hide the big changes.

The blue missions on the map are just another sign of poor writing/design.
They should be more neutral or referring to different factions, instead of all answering to NCPD only. I.e. you should decide, if you collect your bounty from the police or a rival gang.

Scripted as quite a despicable outlaw, on the map the police-helping vigilante. The umpteenth immersion break in this product.

Are they, though? Why wouldn't a merc take reasonable contracts from all interested parties?

The side gigs are your illicit contracts coming from gangs and other disreputable sources, while the police scanner missions are your more above-board contracts.

The difference between the mission types simply represents how the two types of contracts are distributed. The police, as a lawful authority, outsource their work over public comms, whereas less legal contracts get filtered discreetly through fixers.

Let's imagine you work at CDPR. You released the game, people are not happy with its state, it's been 3 months, everyone is waiting for a patch.
You get a chance to talk about a few changes in the patch. What changes will you talk about first and foremost? The biggest changes that will make people happy or the little things that don't interest a lot of people?

That's the problem. If CDPR decided to make a teaser with these changes, it means these are the biggest changes in the patch. Because it makes no sense to talk about the little things first and hide the big changes.
I know what you mean, but we should remember that their current priority is to have the game working properly on oldgen consoles and getting it back on PSN. I remember them mentioning this patch will bring a lot of fixes and SOME QoL improvements. So until it drops, we won't know how good or bad it actually is.

It's my first CDPR game, so I don't know if it's the way they usually do it. However, my point is that the problems with CP'77 are so great and numerous, the anger of players so great, using humour seems like a poor choice for communication.

I don't mind a bit of humour when fixing small problems, say a single NPC not being where they should be for example - hell, ESO have had some very funny communications for small fixes... this isn't the same kind of situation with CP'77 however.

I don't mind the humor. After all this is a game and it's *supposed* to be fun, so interjecting a little humor into the updates makes sense.

The problems with the game are serious, but we don't want CDPR to just act like everything they do is a grave, life-or-death struggle. It's still a game company, they want to provide enjoyment for players and occasionally make them laugh. I think it's good they keep a sense of humor in the midst of all the crushing problems they have faced. I'm sure they have morale issues surrounding this launch and humor is a big help with that.

Loving the patch notes, and also loving the lack of comprehension in the community at large - and how fast a large majority of the deterrents overanalyze everything to find something to keep them continuously upset.

This behavior cannot be healthy.

I know what you mean, but we should remember that their current priority is to have the game working properly on oldgen consoles and getting it back on PSN. I remember them mentioning this patch will bring a lot of fixes and SOME QoL improvements. So until it drops, we won't know how good or bad it actually is.
This has me a bit worried. The easiest way to increase console performance is to reduce visual fidelity. They did this in the 1.1 patch, and there is a noticeable degree of higher-resolution texture and lighting "pop in" at very close distances (like within 10 meters or so) since the 1.1 patch. It just looks rough (and worse) IMO. If increasing console performance means further reducing visual quality, I have to say I'm not thrilled.

There was no need in the 1.1 patch to reduce PC visual fidelity, but they seem to be taking a "one size fits all" approach to performance. That's very frustrating for those of us with higher-end hardware. If they want it all to be the same for various versions I'd much rather see additional settings sliders that players can tweak to their preferences, instead of a big universal nerf bat taken to visuals for everybody.
Post automatically merged:

Loving the patch notes, and also loving the lack of comprehension in the community at large - and how fast a large majority of the deterrents overanalyze everything to find something to keep them continuously upset.

This behavior cannot be healthy.
It's also not healthy to sit among the flames quietly saying "this is fine" to yourself.

There is a happy medium somewhere, and it's neither constant bashing nor magical thinking.

Yeah I think they should keep their heads down in shame for the rest of their lives for having the gull to release a game with bugs that's struggling to run on the first gen modern consoles, they're not allowed to interact with the community in any way shape or form, especially NOT in a humorous manner.

How DARE they be humane for once and try to reestablish their connection with their fans however small of an attempt it is, they should be ashamed of themselves and not even be able to look themselves in the mirror for what they've done and are still doing.

Am I getting this right?

Unfortunate for you that this is your first CDPR game piggybacking of the hype from The Witcher 3, my first one was The Witcher 1 now that was a disaster, guess what they've done?

The Enhanced Edition, re-recorded dialogue, enhanced animations, a tanker load of bug fixes and engine fixes and a plethora of systems improvements.

Their next release was The Witcher 2, guess what, it was a buggy, unstable and inconsistent experience, now guess what happened next, The Witcher 2 enhanced edition...

The Witcher 3 was a bit better in this regard, but still broken and ran terribly on the first gen modern consoles and most high end PC's it took a few good months of patches to get it to the state we all know today, and it's still mechanically broken in some respects.

Now we're at Cyberpunk 2077...

And I absolutely love every single one of these games, they have heart and soul poured into them despite their broken and lack luster mechanics, to be fair, in pure gameplay terms, CDPR is getting better and better with every game.

Just compare The Witcher 1 gameplay with The Witcher 3 and then subsequently compare it with Cyberpunk 2077 which is based on an FPS combat system similar to Apex.
Post automatically merged:

It's also not healthy to sit among the flames quietly saying "this is fine" to yourself.

There is a happy medium somewhere, and it's neither constant bashing nor magical thinking.

Yeah projecting much?

I criticize the game and it's launch just as much as anyone else, the difference is that I do it in a calmly manner without resulting to hyperbole, I also do it in good faith as I want more from this franchise because there's no other game like it.

There are just as many things that I love about the game as there are systems that I dislike, that doesn't make me blind to either side of the issue and the vitriol does not help with this discourse at all.

If you don't care, move on, if you care take a deep breath and think about how to best approach the situation in a manner that helps both parties understand each other.

My best personal example is Mass Effect: Andromeda, I've watched all the trailers and the hype buildup to the release, I've ignored all of the signs of trouble and ended up pre-ordering it.

I've managed to enjoy about half of that game until the writing finally caught up with my enjoyment and set it on fire.

I was severely disappointed, but I was never hateful and vindictive, in fact I still have hope for BioWare even though it's not the same company anymore.

What's wrong with that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom