GG button rework ideas

+
What's the point of "always gg"ing?
The point is self-pride in good sportsmanship.

I could decide that my GG's are an important and earned item and only give them out under X conditions.

Even before getting into hobby gaming our little league baseball and soccer team coaches would line up at the end of the match, and good game everyone (no attitude, no crappy high fives, just gg)
I gamed tabletop, and cardgames, when I was a kid as well as Starcraft being the main PC PVP game I was exposed to. It's just what you do, win or lose, if you're a good sport. You GG.

There was a time in FPS games that if some one was AFK a lot of us would actually not kill them!

I could decide that my GG's are an important and earned item and only give them out under X conditions.

Even before getting into hobby gaming our little league baseball and soccer team coaches would line up at the end of the match, and good game everyone (no attitude, no crappy high fives, just gg)
I gamed tabletop, and cardgames, when I was a kid as well as Starcraft being the main PC PVP game I was exposed to. It's just what you do, win or lose, if you're a good sport. You GG.

There was a time in FPS games that if some one was AFK a lot of us would actually not kill them!
Still, GG means "good game". So either all games are "good games" for you - then the button is obsolete and any game should be automatically rewarded, or there are in fact "bad games" - which you are falsely praising for some reason, and that means the system is corrupt.

Guest 4416545

This is exactly what i think, and i would add its like a friendly way of comunnicate.

So i spam ggs too when the game is over becouse of this.

The only time i maybe do not gg is if im really tilted all Game cause random moves of my opponent which make me lose, like by example a random cantarella in round 1 and first move gettin me out a scenario and those similar situation. Well i almost never gg uninteractive decks too not gonna lie hahaha i hate them so much.

So yes, to the topic: no need of changing at all that gg option.

So either all games are "good games" for you - then the button is obsolete and any game should be automatically rewarded, or there are in fact "bad games" - which you are falsely praising for some reason, and that means the system is corrupt.
As you can see from a large variety of responses to this topic (yours included), this is a most personal and very subjective area for players.
As such, the only thing I'd advise to avoid is debating other's opinions and making statements in general.
Arguing about card balance, factions, etc can result in clear logical conclusions (even though usually one party will just not accept it), topics like these are very diverse as in what they mean for you, for me, or some other player.

As you can see from a large variety of responses to this topic (yours included), this is a most personal and very subjective area for players.
As such, the only thing I'd advise to avoid is debating other's opinions and making statements in general.
Arguing about card balance, factions, etc can result in clear logical conclusions (even though usually one party will just not accept it), topics like these are very diverse as in what they mean for you, for me, or some other player.
Oh, I started this topic exactly to see people's opinions - no even on the GG system itself, but on the definition of the "good game" in Gwent. And I saw what I expected (sadly, not what I was hoping to see). It's just a hobby of mine - trying to understand people.
Of course the GG button should stay the way it is - it's useless to treat acne if your dying of plague, after all. :shrug:

Still, GG means "good game". So either all games are "good games" for you - then the button is obsolete and any game should be automatically rewarded, or there are in fact "bad games" - which you are falsely praising for some reason, and that means the system is corrupt.
No the system works how it should, I can GG whenever I wish, I just always do because Im being courteous - some people wait to be GG'ed before they GG back - some people think the winner should GG second or they are being boastful and rubbing it in. GG man, thanks for the game, all games are good because they are games
Post automatically merged:

This is exactly what i think, and i would add its like a friendly way of comunnicate.

So i spam ggs too when the game is over becouse of this.

The only time i maybe do not gg is if im really tilted all Game cause random moves of my opponent which make me lose, like by example a random cantarella in round 1 and first move gettin me out a scenario and those similar situation. Well i almost never gg uninteractive decks too not gonna lie hahaha i hate them so much.

So yes, to the topic: no need of changing at all that gg option.
Hey GG for being honest!

I don't judge either way, maybe they only play that deck because they had most of the cards for that deck? Maybe my GG will help them craft into new decks and builds? GG'ing is harmless, it helps people craft and expand, and the more options we have to play and earn the better

Maybe a "raise a toast" button? Where only if both parties agree to "raise a glass" then it will show an animation of clinky mugs and a random prize pops out for both players?

Last edited:
Maybe a "raise a toast" button? Where only if both parties agree to "raise a glass" then it will show an animation of clinky mugs and a random prize pops out for both players?

That sounds really cool.
Actually, yes. It's a good idea to add something extra to show both players enjoyed the game.
@Milfguard2077, maybe you should post this idea in the TWIG AMA thread. I'd definitely RED Point'd that

*groans* please never do that again.
Seriously - I really like the "toast" idea. It suits the theme of the game (and even that image with Dandelion raising a glass of wine on the "Welcome to Gwent" banner in the newsfeed). But maybe the rewards part needs some tweaks. For example, you can "raise a toast" to your opponent, complimenting their game (for whatever reason you liked it) and they get the usual GG reward (maybe it could vary slightly depending on if the person toasting won or lost). But if both players raise a glass - it could do something extra (except for the clinking glasses animation). Something not too balance-breaking, like additional scraps reward. I have tons of them (166k, I really miss those premium barrels for 4 scraps), but new players, as I've read, often struggle to create the card they need (hopefully for their own decks). Or maybe ore - but just the basic amount, not to break ore/real money kegs economy balance.

GG button doesn't bother me. If people want to give opponent rewards, even by clicking it automatically, why not? There is a free choice if to click it or not.

Seems this suggestion wasn't interesting enough to get any attention in TWIG (where @Milfguard2077 posted it as a question) or any at all. :)
And (at least lately) GG is mostly sent by people who show no manners during the game. Well, maybe the main function of the button now is to make players feel good about themselves.

Last edited:
I’m curious as to how a player can show manners during a game — aside from not roping excessively (and it’s almost impossible to tell when a player finds roping necessary) or spewing excessive taunts (which some players find entertaining) or continuing to pile points on a won game (behavior encouraged by certain quests and traps) just what do you consider manners?

I try to avoid cards (e. g. Viy, Cahir, and all echo cards) that I consider disruptive to the game - as well as avoiding net decks, but I’m sure some of the cards I love (e.g. Artis) are hated by somebody. Perhaps I am rude because I play SK or NG or SY or NR or ST or MO — a faction some players hate. Maybe I’m rude because I do like to win sometimes, or because I prefer to win on my own merits which means playing sub-par decks I created. Maybe I’m rude because —unlike when I was in my twenties, I can rarely play in isolation and occasionally take a few extra seconds when the dog is scratching at a door, or my daughter wants to show me art she created. Maybe I’m rude because my internet is not 100% reliable, or because I choose to pass when losing is inevitable (thereby allowing my opponent to play funny combos or progress toward certain quests) rather than taking the “quicker” forfeit option. Or am I rude because my Ihuarraquax pulled your Kolgrim, or because my Tridam Infantry pinged your Syanna?

Again, what exact rude behavior does my offering you a good game fail to atone for in your mind?

I’m curious as to how a player can show manners during a game — aside from not roping excessively (and it’s almost impossible to tell when a player finds roping necessary) or spewing excessive taunts (which some players find entertaining) or continuing to pile points on a won game (behavior encouraged by certain quests and traps) just what do you consider manners?
Well, you can always mute your opponent, so taunts are just annoying until you do so.

I try to avoid cards (e. g. Viy, Cahir, and all echo cards) that I consider disruptive to the game - as well as avoiding net decks, but I’m sure some of the cards I love (e.g. Artis) are hated by somebody. Perhaps I am rude because I play SK or NG or SY or NR or ST or MO — a faction some players hate. Maybe I’m rude because I do like to win sometimes, or because I prefer to win on my own merits which means playing sub-par decks I created. Maybe I’m rude because —unlike when I was in my twenties, I can rarely play in isolation and occasionally take a few extra seconds when the dog is scratching at a door, or my daughter wants to show me art she created. Maybe I’m rude because my internet is not 100% reliable, or because I choose to pass when losing is inevitable (thereby allowing my opponent to play funny combos or progress toward certain quests) rather than taking the “quicker” forfeit option. Or am I rude because my Ihuarraquax pulled your Kolgrim, or because my Tridam Infantry pinged your Syanna?

All your "examples" totally miss the point. It's as if you don't quite know what "rude" means.

Again, what exact rude behavior does my offering you a good game fail to atone for in your mind?
Quite simple, actually - when your opponent has passed in the last round, you are winning - but continue playing cards (that at least can be explained if a person does this for the quest, so it's fine if done quickly), charges and/or leader ability. Instant no-GG flag for me, regardless of the match quality overall. if I see my opponent doing this, I quickly forfeit - if they don't value my time, at least I have to. And, what I find strange, the same people who drag on with the match this way press GG button with the speed of light.

Last edited:
They don't even have a greeting to be nice, I great people by threatening them, I say well played before passing, and thank them if they give me the second round - manners are hard to come by, etiquette in online games with limited communication tools is nebulous. - Example, im holding the door for the next person to be nice, they see it as I view them as needing help with a door and are offended I assumed they couldn't do it themselves. I would rather have the button work like it does and possibly get some extra resources most games - it is just there to give people who want to GG a chance to GG because GG has been around for a long time, its harmless and not overpowered or oppressive

I'd suggest that ore/scraps are automatically awarded, and each day players get a limited number of GG's to use for when they TRULY believe that their opponent played a good game. Using the GG would then double the reward for their opponent.

Right now, the way the system works is players are either denying GG's because they're salty about their opponent's deck/faction/behaviour or they just give them away on autopilot. They don't really signify a "GG" in my mind.

EDIT - I'd also suggest that a player needs to play a certain number of cards (say 10) before they can get their ore/scrap rewards if they chose to forfeit. I've matched against lots of players who play 1 card and forfeit to try and farm GG's under the current system. While I appreciate the two quick crown points, I'd rather play some semblance of a game instead...

Last edited:
I think games could be more friendly if there was a GLHF button at the first mulligan screen rather than a GG button at the end. There could be a requirement to play at least 10 cards to actually receive the bonus, to prevent farming, as LokiatOr suggested.

I'd suggest that ore/scraps are automatically awarded, and each day players get a limited number of GG's to use for when they TRULY believe that their opponent played a good game. Using the GG would then double the reward for their opponent.
With the "toast system" the GG reward could even be the Reward Point for both - since the system wouldn't be "abused" this much.

Right now, the way the system works is players are either denying GG's because they're salty about their opponent's deck/faction/behaviour or they just give them away on autopilot. They don't really signify a "GG" in my mind.
This is exactly what I meant in the first place. Some people are trying to use GG "nobly" and rationally, but they are really rare - and this still often clashes with the button being pressed for a "good" game, imho.

EDIT - I'd also suggest that a player needs to play a certain number of cards (say 10) before they can get their ore/scrap rewards if they chose to forfeit. I've matched against lots of players who play 1 card and forfeit to try and farm GG's under the current system. While I appreciate the two quick crown points, I'd rather play some semblance of a game instead...
Well, they block the GG button if one of the opponent played no cards, so this could just be developed. I don't know about a card count though, seems too rigid, maybe one round with played cards?

I think games could be more friendly if there was a GLHF button at the first mulligan screen rather than a GG button at the end. There could be a requirement to play at least 10 cards to actually receive the bonus, to prevent farming, as LokiatOr suggested.
I haven't played many online CCG, the other one I'm familiar with - "Duelyst" - there was a pseudo-chat, with preset messages, like "Hello", "GLHF" (always started my games with those). Also "GG" and a pair of others. Where were also "smileys", specific to the faction you were playing. Smiling, crying, winking ones.

They don't even have a greeting to be nice, I great people by threatening them, I say well played before passing, and thank them if they give me the second round - manners are hard to come by, etiquette in online games with limited communication tools is nebulous. - Example, im holding the door for the next person to be nice, they see it as I view them as needing help with a door and are offended I assumed they couldn't do it themselves. I would rather have the button work like it does and possibly get some extra resources most games - it is just there to give people who want to GG a chance to GG because GG has been around for a long time, its harmless and not overpowered or oppressive
I see your point. Maybe it's just me not wanting to have anything that doesn't truly live to its actual name/function. But then again - there are valid suggestions and complaints here that show that the system can be tweaked to make more sense and give the game less of generic feel.

Last edited:
I see your point. Maybe it's just me not wanting to have anything that doesn't truly live to its actual name/function. But then again - there are valid suggestions and complaints here that show that the system can be tweaked to make more sense and give the game less of generic feel.

There was an early time in the game for me where I wrestled with this button in my head, how to use it correctly, is it being used on me correctly.

wtf is the point of the button?, other then the more you give you get the reward book challenge completed for 100+ gg's or whatever

once you embrace it for what it is, and just start mashing away you will find contentment in the button. but only once your give up yourself

sorta like an adult film star, im sure you got to get over the first few times but after awhile its just biz

Top Bottom