The lack of 3rd person view

+
Actually, the same could be said with the PVPers screaming for everyone to play their way too on servers that are mainly PVE with minor added PVP areas, but we digress from this topic.

The issues I'm seeing is really that CDPR stated all along the game was to be FPP and it seems that through the hype of the game people seemed to have missed that detail (which from all the demos shown is really hard not to) but this vision they had as to how the game was designed and played, just like how any other company out there makes their products.
lol no they didnt

Its been verified and proven that this game was initially TPP until they brought in a new manager who demanded it be changed to TPP

And you can literally see missions in game where its obvious it was originally designed for TPP and changed over

So no they didn't say that from Day one
Quit spreading the lie becaue it fits what you want to beleive
Post automatically merged:

Oh, but I really like a 1st person option into a primary 3rd person game, especially when that game allows some exploration. I often like to take a closer look at certain objects, which can be a little tedious when I have to do it in 3rd person. My preference lies with the 3rd person perspective, so naturally I'm not as bothered when 1st person is lacking.

Yup thats what Im saying
Have the option for both
Let the player decide
Most TPP supporters have been asking for that,
the option to let players decide for themselves
Sadly as you see from that other guy that replied to you
Most (not all but most) FPP want only FPP and come off feeling threatened by the very idea that someone else might wish to play the game in TPP.

Its irrational stance to be sure

Yeah ... this argument shows up from time to time.
Well I for one have had my concerns for the forced 1st person approach for this game for some time indeed. I am over it for a while when it comes to the game itself. But while a 3rd person CP2077 could have made it worthwhile for me, now it is only some 1st person game that will negatively impact possible future titles of my personal number one series, namely The Witcher. The only outlet I have for that, if I'm in the mood, is to keep discussing about it when 3rd person gaming in general is being degraded (most of the time by 1st person fans). If I'm about to do it, I might as well be doing it at a cd projekt red forum.

Commanding to get over it, or making attempts to insult (I'm not referring to you with this, but there are some who just can't resist) is only trying to put out a fire with gasoline.

Same
I been a supporter of CDPR for a very very long time
Hence the Senior tag on Forum
But this will be the last FPP only game I pre order from them because FPP is not immersive to me (quite the opposite actually unless Im in VR mode which is a entirely different experience then playing in normal FPP).

Its a deal breaker for me.
Either add TPP (which this game was originally conceived to be we now know) or Ill move title to $20.00 or less bargin bin and buy it then.
And for how often the moderators here have to close down this topic threads as they keep appearing.
Its pretty obvious I'm far far far from the only one feeling this.

I love CP2077 and give it a 8.5
if it had TPP option built in, Id give it a 9

Last edited:
The only time I use the 3rd person view is on the rare occasion I drive. First person view is too limiting when in a car.

Guest 4531988

It's intentional to increase immersion but I'd prefer it. I think the game would have more comparisons to GTA which is what they're trying to avoid but I guess it's bound to happen so why not. Look at Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row and the Yakuza series.

It had nothing to do with Immersion.

It was about cost, look at shadows of your animations.

If Immersion was there focus, you would be eating and drinking at bars and food stands. If that was their focus you wouldn't teleport with the mono-rail system, You wouldn't switch to 3rd person for driving only it would be 1st person only. Mirrors would work besides the Keanu scene.

Your character looks terrible in 3rd person and they were rushing the game.

Immersion had nothing to do with it. It was a cost/time decision.

Tried to play it after the last patch and I lasted about 15 minutes maybe...I don't think I'll be able to enjoy it without Third Person.
Some great progress has been made for the 3rd person mod and is still supported, I would give that a try, however if on console I only hope the dev's implement an option for this in time, fingers crossed.

Tried to play it after the last patch and I lasted about 15 minutes maybe...I don't think I'll be able to enjoy it without Third Person.

I don't think this is the game for you then man. I think the expectation of third person mode is completely based on the legacy of the game studio and not with what the game experience is tailored to be. I think first person only was 100% the right call.

I understand why people want this to be third person, most open world games are. But put yourself in the shoes of artists who want you to be able to immerse yourself into the world as much as you possibly can. Its almost like your asking to play Half-Life in third person. It just conflicts heavily with how the game presents itself. This was built to be a first person game with the goal of complete immersion and seamless dialog between characters and missions. Many parts of the game just aren't compatible with a third person perspective.

I don't think this is the game for you then man. I think the expectation of third person mode is completely based on the legacy of the game studio and not with what the game experience is tailored to be. I think first person only was 100% the right call.

I understand why people want this to be third person, most open world games are. But put yourself in the shoes of artists who want you to be able to immerse yourself into the world as much as you possibly can. Its almost like your asking to play Half-Life in third person. It just conflicts heavily with how the game presents itself. This was built to be a first person game with the goal of complete immersion and seamless dialog between characters and missions. Many parts of the game just aren't compatible with a third person perspective.
I sort of agree however this game was originally set out as a 3rd person before it changed creative control, It's a rather in and out topic tbh,

I sort of agree however this game was originally set out as a 3rd person before it changed creative control, It's a rather in and out topic tbh,
This doesn't surprise me due to them creating the Witcher 3. It would have been the easier route to take, you have all the engine setup for 3rd person gameplay. My guess is after implementing some prototype gameplay they realized that first person is what they needed in order to give the player the immersive feel they wanted to nail. Playing through Cyberpunk I feel like every NPC interaction would be worse if you just saw it from a third person perspective. They would need to add cut scenes like the Witcher 3 across the board for it to be any good and even then it wouldn't be as good.

Somewhat off topic but WoW was initially built from Warcraft 3 and in some super early dev photos it basically just looks like a zoomed in Warcraft 3. Developers re-use game engines to build prototypes/new games on all the time.

My guess is after implementing some prototype gameplay they realized that first person is what they needed in order to give the player the immersive feel they wanted to nail.

I almost sure that the main reason was that 3rd person takes much more efforts to be implemented with all animations, collisions, rigging and skinning skeleton and fitting the clothes to work with it, as well as directing work with cutscenes, with all special light sources, camera angles, visual effects and such.

It's much easier to create flying camera instead of character, no wonder 99% of indie games are first person. And you can judge about their work with playable character by his shadows :D

I don't mind first person perspective in general, but I don't think it's the best option for RPG, especially with custom protagonist.

I don't mind first person perspective in general, but I don't think it's the best option for RPG, especially with custom protagonist.

This is probably the best argument for third person as people want to see their character and how they made them custom.

I still think it was still the right call for this game in particular from a narrative perspective. At the end of the day I don't remember what my char was wearing in other RPGs, I remember the stories. This game used the first person perspective very well and used it very advantageously. Its pretty dismissive to imply that it was just because they were lazy.

The game is in First Person because it's Adam Badowski's personal preference and after chasing off the senior devs who disagreed with him on this, what we have is the result. Though I find it really difficult to enjoy first person games, it isn't impossible if done well. This wasn't done well and so what is already difficult to enjoy becomes infinitely more so.

@Gillian_Seed If one consistent error studios make it's approaching RPG's around personal preference than a broader perspective, It neglects the playerbase from the get go and unfortunately this is only confirmed by player response.

If ego was a fortune cookie it would say nothing and everything at the same time.

You can throw "Artistic Integrity" out the window as far as im concerned, as i've said before there is absolutely zero, nada, zilch reasons in this day and age NOT to give players the simple toggle of both FP and TP perspective's, but theres plenty reasons not to including cost and resource.

The more i hear "More Immersive" the more i groan, the most "immersed" in a game i've been in my whole life is from TP games with good story's, characters and worlds, absolutely nothing to do with FP, if FP does anything it makes me put the game down faster an move on regardless of quality.

"Well thats just your like opinion man", yeah just like all you's saying FP is more immersive is stating opinion as fact because for alot of folks it just aint, regardless of what any developer says

The game is in First Person because it's Adam Badowski's personal preference and after chasing off the senior devs who disagreed with him on this, what we have is the result. Though I find it really difficult to enjoy first person games, it isn't impossible if done well. This wasn't done well and so what is already difficult to enjoy becomes infinitely more so.

Seriously? tha makes sense for lots of things.

There is a mod on PC that allows you to explore the world in third person, but in dialogue and combat situations, the camera automatically switches to first person.
I don't understand why CDPR can't make this mode official for everyone. There are no broken animations, and the switching is smooth. Players on consoles don't have the ability to install mods. CDPR could easily make this mode optional for all platforms and all players would be happy.

It's intentional to increase immersion but I'd prefer it. I think the game would have more comparisons to GTA which is what they're trying to avoid but I guess it's bound to happen so why not. Look at Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row and the Yakuza series.

"Immersion"

There is a mod on PC that allows you to explore the world in third person, but in dialogue and combat situations, the camera automatically switches to first person.
I don't understand why CDPR can't make this mode official for everyone. There are no broken animations, and the switching is smooth. Players on consoles don't have the ability to install mods. CDPR could easily make this mode optional for all platforms and all players would be happy.
The last time I checked, the animations and rigging for V are unique. In addition to this, there are actually issues with how the model of V interacts with cutscenes that would need to be addressed first.

As any PC player using the IGCS Camera mod will be able to tell you, V's head is actually under ground in cutscenes :shrug:

I share this sentiment; I'd like to see 3PP as well, but don't think it will happen anytime soon, if at all.

I'm ok with 1st person only. In fact, i much prefer it. 3rd person games tend to have clunky controls. Take Rockstar games (GTA, RDR), controls feel like you're walking on the bottom of the ocean, at least for me. They prioritize how the animations look and how realistic they are over playability. In CP77, controls are much more smooth and gameplay more fluid.

One thing i would like to see tough is more ways to actually look at your character in-game (other than in menus). If we exclude photo-mode and mirrors, which both happen NOT in real time, there are no actual in-game reflections on surfaces, or similar ways to take a look at your toon from time to time. Hell, every time i see an ending i'm like, "eh, didn't remember i gave my V green eyes"...

Top Bottom