What’s new in Night City? [Patch 1.2 development insight]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dudes i must say i agree with you all, but some people here like me are sympathetic to this studio-company. A lot of you are maybe new here but i remember the time when both devs and management worked in perfect sync. This symbiosis provided years of fantastic gaming experience for me and i hope for many of you here with Witcher series. Devs come and go but from what i saw management are same people, a lot more wealty people yes but people all the same, people that fucked up *once*, but don't you forget they are even now true to values they set in past and i applaude them for this. So big wins in my book, no drm, good games with massive amount of content, fantastic approach with dlc's and expansions. Also do know without this people we would never have Witcher series. It brakes my heart that from beloved studio they are hated now more than EA. I loved W3 to death but for some time now i don't preorder the games, i wait on review. So i didn't buy CP 2077 because i saw that it has big problems, i decided to wait because i want to have perfect first experience with it, from what i saw a lot of you preordered it, and in a sence you had time to refund if, but you decided to give your trust to devs, and this proves that you saw big potential here. Give it some time, play other games forgot a bit about it, there are so many things you can do when waiting for this.
It's not healthy what you guy's are doing here, any kind of negativity is not good, i know you are right to feel bad, but it's not good for you and for dev's. There is no magic wand to fix this fast, so give it time and i know they will stay true to past vision for this game. Give dev's some support and love because all of us here can see fantastic game in making. Also on a side note, gaming development is very expensive, we all have life running cost, so maybe they were forced to push game in world unfinished because of that. Who knows what happened and why they can be honest with there statements, maybe it's pr shit maybe there are legal concerns, running big business is not simple and you can't be always transparent. I just wish they change pr approach and talk with community more and because of this i call you all to show them they can talk with us, without feeling they are at gun point. Sorry for big wall of text and for bad english :(

You're right. CDPR, please make your employees work extra hours and over the weekend, so gamers will be oh so satisfied and will stop complaining.

I'm no businessman, but if i were one, i certainly wouldn't force my employees to work like dogs to make up for management mistakes.
You imply a good practice is to not overwork your employers - and i agree. But CDPR did that extensively Maybe they are not doing it anymore or still doing it - is quite irrelevant to this point. But if would have been CDPR, i would have made it sure the patch is not delivered in the last day of March just because i previously said will be delivered in March. Is about going the extra mile now.

I think the worst part of this entire patch 1.2 situation is, we don't really know what the patch is supposed to fix. If I knew what those fixes are, maybe I would be able to move on with my life? Wait for another patch that patches the isses I have with the game?

You imply a good practice is to not overwork your employers - and i agree. But CDPR did that extensively Maybe they are not doing it anymore or still doing it - is quite irrelevant to this point. But if would have been CDPR, i would have made it sure the patch is not delivered in the last day of March just because i previously said will be delivered in March. Is about going the extra mile now.

I just hope they're keeping their word not to resort on crunch time anymore in order to meet deadlines.

I think the worst part of this entire patch 1.2 situation is, we don't really know what the patch is supposed to fix. If I knew what those fixes are, maybe I would be able to move on with my life? Wait for another patch that patches the isses I have with the game?
After 100h I'm waiting for dlcs rather than patch. I don't have a lot of hope that 1.2 make me feel like replaying the game. Rumours say that free dlc and paid expansion are planned and I would love to see them but it will take a while...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they just want to make sure it's more or less perfect before releasing it, because if it's released and it brings some gamebreaking bug with it (see what happened last time with Takemura's call bug) it will cause an even bigger shitstorm. Guess we'll see next week.

You're right. CDPR, please make your employees work extra hours and over the weekend, so gamers will be oh so satisfied and will stop complaining.

I'm no businessman, but if i were one, i certainly wouldn't force my employees to work like dogs to make up for management mistakes.
If you were one you would certainly not encourage this kind of behaviour from a company that sells you.
Anyway, this isn't the topic of this thread.

I think they just want to make sure it's more or less perfect before releasing it, because if it's released and it brings some gamebreaking bug with it (see what happened last time with Takemura's call bug) it will cause an even bigger shitstorm. Guess we'll see next week.
TBH, I don't think they care a single bit about it (the shitstorm) anymore... the way i'm seeing them underdelivering not only in product but also in a basic, consistent and transparent communication, makes me think that. Hope I'm wrong and next patch makes me love CDPR again.

Last edited:
TBH, I don't think they care a single bit about it anymore... the way i'm seeing them underdelivering not only in product but also in a basic, consistent and transparent communication, makes me think that. Hope I'm wrong and next patch makes me love CDPR again.
They announced the beginning of the testing phase on Mar 22 and the game's steamdb testing branch page has been updated consistently ever since. This means they are, indeed, testing it. Don't wanna jinx it, but by the looks of it, the patch is imminent.
I'm a PC player but if this patch manages to solve (or highly improve) the performance/crashes issues on console, it's good news for all of us because with that problem out of the way, we can expect the first DLCs soon :giggle:

So, today is the 28 of March and the patch is not out yet.
Not only that, but this patch fixed only problems already fixed by 3 mods made in 2 days by a pair of folks that do not work in the field and you needed 3 months of work to obtain the same results? With an entire company working on it?
Not to mention that this fixes are useless to people like me that have already finished the game that were expecting the remaining 90% of the game that you promised us, but yeah now i can drive the cars in safety... wow cars with less personalization than the cars in gta 3 (a game 20 years old), in a game i do not play anymore because i have nothing to do in it.
This is disgraceful.
Well i am a Senior software developer with 15 years of experience. And i will clear this up with an easy example.
Lets say that you release a software running with a database (sql for ex) where you locate the language resource. For instance when the patch is released one user founds that the word chase is misspelled. Ok I as developer could connect to the database and in 2 seconds update the mispelled word with the correct value.
But then, if you have to include this into the upcoming patch the process is much more complicated. Because you have to make the script, in this case take into account the region if this apply or not, etc. Then the patch will be tested and then released.
Meanwhile we as developers continue working in upcoming fixes or new content, WE DON'T STOP DEVELOPING WHEN A PATCH IS RELEASED. What this means? That the patch where you included the fix have more things to be tested and that is why something that a mod(dev) could fix in 5 seconds take a lot of time.

Welcome to this special report of N54 News, bringing news from Night City to every Night Citizen stranded away from home! Stay with us if you'd like to learn more about some of the upcoming changes. I’m Gillean Jordan, and here’s what’s new in Night City:

NCPD Quick Response Team too quick?

You heard right! The NCPD Quick Response Team is under fire from concerned Night Citizens and corporations alike. The rapid deployment tactics they recently adopted forced mercenaries to think twice before pointing a gun at anyone, but will now be adjusted to give the other side some breathing room.

What was supposed to make Night Citizens feel safe on the streets resulted in a staggering drop of public trust towards NCPD officers.
My choom, Jake, was in a shoot-out with Tyger Claws the other day, when he missed a shot and hit a pedestrian on the other side of the street. In an instant, the NCPD swarmed up on him and put him down. It’s like they appeared out of thin air right behind his back! It’s too brutal of a response for a regular accidental murder if you ask me!” — Mike from Kabuki, 28.

Aside from upsetting the local community, the NCPD's effectiveness resulted in a tremor in the corporate security market.
Personal security in Night City has always been our priority. The recent spike in NCPD efficiency might seem like a step towards safety, but it isn’t. Upsetting the fragile balance in the security sector might soon result in more people cancelling their protection subscriptions and inviting gangs and terrorists to take over the city.” — Andrey Fomin, Militech PR Manager.

Regardless of how you look at the situation, it seems that the change will be a welcome one. We asked our experts to analyze the situation:
This is an important step in addressing the behavior of the police in our game. It should decrease the problem of NPCs spawning behind players' backs and create an impression that it takes some time for the police to arrive at the crime scene after the crime has been reported. We've also added a recon "drone" unit to create the feeling of the police assessing the situation.” — Patryk, Lead Gameplay Designer & Łukasz, Technical Design Coordinator, CD PROJEKT RED

Vehicular manslaughter statistics higher than ever

Look left, then right, then left again — and then run for your life. As morgues are filling up with roadkill, it is now statistically safer to stroll through Kabuki Market with shiny new cyberware than to cross some of Night City’s intersections. The City Council approved a bill forcing vehicle manufacturers to update their steering firmware.

Soon, the mandatory update will allow for better synchronization between the CrystalDome system and the vehicle, resulting in a more fluid driving experience even when the image signal skips a frame or two.

In addition, drivers should also expect to be able to better personalize their driving experience by adjusting the sensitivity limits to a level they are comfortable with — providing a much needed breather for insurance companies.

Will this be a good change, or will it subject morgues, street sweepers and auto repair shops to economic hardship? Here’s an opinion from our expert:
"Analyzing feedback on our driving model suggested a lot of players were having issues with the speed of the steering. Most complaints came from players using keyboards on PC or were on platforms with lower frame rates, and centered around how hard it was to keep cars off the sidewalks and such.
We have added a Steering Sensitivity slider to the Options menu. This allows the steering speed for all vehicles and all input devices to be slowed down, without affecting the maximum turn radius.
When experiencing lower frame rates, our cars were harder to control. We traced this to some code that wasn't handling extreme changes in frame rate properly. The steering speed is now very consistent from 20 to 60+ FPS.
Last, we looked at a bunch of tweaks to individual cars and adjusted some of them that were too twitchy in low frame rates, including the player's Archer Hella.
" — Séamus, Senior Vehicle Programmer, CD PROJEKT RED

Rock&Roll for racers

No, it’s not a new genre of music! The brand new Rock&Roll vehicle subsystem will allow any unfortunate street racer who missed a turn and ended up stuck on a pile of garbage to quickly get back on track. The system will allow drivers to rotate or rock their vehicles back and forth in order to regain traction.

Gone are the days of abandoning a vehicle in the middle of the city just because things got out of control. Accidents happen and being in a rush isn’t a crime! Now, if somebody appears out of nowhere when you’re crossing a red light, you will still be able to make it to your meeting on time and let your insurance take care of the mess.

Still not sure whether you need the subsystem installed in your vehicle? Let our expert convince you:
"There are cases where our vehicles can get beached or high centered on stuff in Night City. We have now added an Unstuck feature that kicks in when you are accelerating and not moving. While holding down the accelerator, you can now rock the vehicle forward or back, or rotate it left/right." — Séamus, Senior Vehicle Programmer, CD PROJEKT RED

Update your neuroprocessor drivers or die

This is not a joke! It’s raining men in Night City and not for the reasons you’d expect. Just over the last month authorities recorded nearly 4000 fatal accidents caused by a neuroprocessor glitch causing users to dodge without intending to. The manufacturer has prepared an update to address the issue.

According to our survey over 30% of all Night Citizens experienced an irresistible urge to burst forward for no reason and the majority of affected people admitted that it put them in danger of falling from a high place. Manufacturer claims that the glitch is caused by a lack of perfect synchronisation between the user's brain patterns and the neuroprocessor.

The update will allow users to better personalize their chips and match software responses with their neural patterns. Aside from resolving the issue with sudden dodging, it will also mean that people will find it easier to move and use the chip, regardless of their handedness, abilities or personal preferences.

What do these improvements mean in layman’s terms? Our expert provided an explanation:
Dodge on double-tapping a movement key can be turned off in the Controls settings. The Dodge action can still be performed by double-tapping the Crouch(toggle) action key (default C).
It should now be more feasible to move WASD bindings around the keyboard. There still remain a few bindings that need to be addressed, but these should be fixed in upcoming patches.
” — Wojtek, Tools Programmer, CD PROJEKT RED

Thank you for tuning in to "What's New in Night City". We'll see you next time.

----------------------------------------------

Gillean got her hands on just a couple of changes - full patchnotes will be coming later!
this video was a waste of time and resources - a promo asset, not a meaningful update. it signals to me that @CDPROJEKTRED is still prioritizing marketing over development. fans expected patch 1.2 this weekend. if needs more time, that's fine, but where's the statement?
https://twitter.com/scttyj/status/1376292640195440640/photo/1

Last edited by a moderator:
this video was a waste of time and resources - a promo asset, not a meaningful update. it signals to me that @CDPROJEKTRED is still prioritizing marketing over development. fans expected patch 1.2 this weekend. if needs more time, that's fine, but where's the statement?

Marketing Team is most likely separate to the Development Team and has therefore not much to do at the moment.

Doing the little videos, gave them some purpose and / or something to do.

Why? The patch isn't out yet and they said that wasn't everything thats part of the patch and they said its coming out 2nd half of March and March isn't over yet.
If they feel the need to make video trailers about small quality of life improvements on the game, that's probably what we are getting. Is it possible there's an amazing surprise coming with the patch? Yes. Is it likely? No. This is CP2077, king of the overhyped games. If there was something actually exciting coming in 1.2, they would probably have shown it already

Marketing Team is most likely separate to the Development Team and has therefore not much to do at the moment.

Doing the little videos, gave them some purpose and / or something to do.
I think that @vicetovirtue was referring to updated information with the word "update", not that marketing would be involved in the actual updated game code. The point being that marketing is still stuck in a form over substance mindset, and are giving us mostly useless "updates" on the game's progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom